Oh no, not again, .... 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus

we pick up our gas pacifica later today.  Would love a hybrid absolutely.  But too many early teething issues, no good hybrid incentives, and loss of sto n go.   We'll stick with the gas for now.  Would love the plug in though some day.

This may sound odd, but i have been fortunate to have a lot of nice vehicles in my lifetime, but i am really pumped to actually be getting this particular MINIVAN.  I'm not sulking about not getting a Camaro or a German sports sedan here.  I love the swiss army knife aspect of these things and love all the room and passenger accommodations.

• Agree 2

I got to say the Pacifica is a handsome minivan.  Great exterior and interior design.  Minivans aren't my thing, but I can see the utility...would be great for shuttling around the dogs and boxes of content. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ykX said:

Actually out of all the minivans I think Chrysler did the best job.  Pacifica looks very nice IMO.

Agreed, the Honda is the worse, but then their whole current sharp awkward edges is terrible.

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Besides those 3, Kia still has the Sedona, and Dodge has the Caravan.. definitely a smaller niche that it once was... 

Wow, Thought both of those were dead.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Wow, Thought both of those were dead.

I knew the Caravan was hanging on (sold 110k this year, outselling the Pacifica), but didn't realize the Kia was still around.. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I knew the Caravan was hanging on (sold 110k this year, outselling the Pacifica), but didn't realize the Kia was still around.. 

110,000 is crazy amount and no advertising. WOW.

• 3 months later...

The Pacifica oozes "well done and luxurious" with styling everywhere, and makes the Odyssey/Sienna feel tinny, flimsy, and clunky in comparison.

This is an example of FCA design done right, through and through. Any other takeaways a few months in now? They definitely feel more than a decade more advanced than the old T&C.

• 1 month later...

We also just picked on of these up to replace our T&C.  It is so much nicer of a vehicle than the T&C.  A few small details I don't like as much.  They went a little backward on storage with only the lower glovebox and seeming less storage in the center console, even with the IP drawer.  The kids definitely like the seat back mounted screens more, though!

• Agree 2

On 5/8/2018 at 6:01 PM, 2QuickZ's said:

We also just picked on of these up to replace our T&C.  It is so much nicer of a vehicle than the T&C.  A few small details I don't like as much.  They went a little backward on storage with only the lower glovebox and seeming less storage in the center console, even with the IP drawer.  The kids definitely like the seat back mounted screens more, though!

Congrats!  you get a 2017 or 2018?  

yep, i don't like the less storage and yep, the seat mounted screens my kid loves too.  

pacificaforums.com is a great place for all the minutia of what is going on with those vans.

• Agree 1

coming up on 6 months by the way.  will put some 6 month thoughts up soon.  

Filled wife's tank tonight and on way back, urban driving.... pulled 37 mpg most of the way and ended up about 34 for that whole 10 mile stretch.  Has no trouble getting 24 mpg average now that weather is nicer and it seems like it is getting broken in.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:55 AM, regfootball said:

Congrats!  you get a 2017 or 2018?  

yep, i don't like the less storage and yep, the seat mounted screens my kid loves too.  

pacificaforums.com is a great place for all the minutia of what is going on with those vans.

2018.  Thanks for the tip!  I'll have to check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

SIX MONTHS IN REPORT

10,000 miles + on odometer

HIGHS

-sharp styling, especially for a van

-powertrain has nice power and great mpg for this type of vehicle (24-25 urban driving, 25-30 highway).  Even though the Town and Country powertrain was good, this is much better in all aspects.  Even the 9 speed behaves well.

-Michelin Premier all seasons on ours provide good wet and snow traction while the tread is there.

-Doesn't feel porky.  A bit large at times, but for a van it feels more like a sedan.

-Easy to see out of, airy cabin.  Particularly with the big ass moonroof!  We love it!  Large usable mirrors too.

-simple and attractive interior on all counts.  Buttons and controls are nice in design, layout, use and location...and size.

-sto and go, only used a few times but its amazing when you do!

-U Connect screen works great, looks great, no issues.  Sometimes too many menus to go through for some things.

-climate control keeps up nicely, particularly since we have the BAMR.

-kids like the video screens on the seatback.  Like it there instead of up on the ceiling.

-comfortable seats in front and third row.  second row is fine for kids and teens.

-Got used to the rotary gear knob!  So effortless and easy to use, even though a small joystick I still might like more.

-Electronic parking brake switch right next to the shifter is ridiculously convenient as well.

-There is a button to turn off auto stop start!

-Love the gauges.  Lots of screen settings but the main thing is its a crisp display and much better than what i see on lower end GM stuff.

-Cruise control on the T&C was worthless and terrible.  The cruise on this is amazing.  Tap up and tap down is so quick and precise.  (Note I have not even used the distance pacing cruise control yet).

-Surround view camera is amazing!  Especially to point out to the spouse how the vehicle is misparked in the stall before even getting out of the vehicle.. seriously has improved the relationship in terms of confrontations.

-Like on the T&C the auto high beams work great, but even better.  Same thing with rainsense wipers.

-I really thought the foot kick rear hatch was a waste of $$$ initially but honestly we use it a lot and is quite handy.

-AT&T wifi works great now that it was finally available.  

-weather radar and warnings on your vehicle...again, did i need it?  Sure is handy at times.

-Apple CarPlay, which was new for 2018 on the Pacifica, works soooo much better than it does on my Malibu.  Malibu is constant glitches (maybe an update is needed).  It works really smooth so far on the Pac.

-this vehicle chews up mileage effortlessly.

LOWS

-I would like a little improvement in the console design and the amount of storage available in front for cubbies within reach.  Small glovebox is a step back from the two tier glovebox in the T&C.

-If the console redesign could accommodate more and better cupholders and a real usable food tray surface to divvy up the chicken sammiches.

-That 9th gear, it takes pigs flying and planets aligning to engage.

-Interior plastics and design could be nicer and they seem like long term durability may be an issue...particularly on the upper door panels.  The T&C had indestructible interior bits.  the leather sure got way dirty quick and may not be super durable either.

-the volume and gear shifter knobs are so close to each other and not that different in size; I am virtually certain that some drivers out there may be confusing the knobs and I am even suggesting that some folks who have claimed to have the stalling at speed problems may be reaching for and turning the shifter knob or something when they think its the volume knob.

-2017 had -lots- of first year glitches.  Knock on wood we've had nothing but I hope long term there are no issues on our 2018.

-second row seats due their sto n go function are not amazing comfy for adults.

-having to go through 2 or 3 screen on the touch screen to turn heated seats and steering wheel on and off is ridiculous.  They need to add the switches for these on the  main panel.

-also, too many screens to go through for some audio controls.

-there needs to be manual gear control and preferably with paddle shifters.  We had more than a few instances especially on hills in Mt Rushmore area where manual control was really desired!

-auto emergency braking is quite sensitive.  Freaked out my wife, but she needs to back off people's bumpers.  I had to turn off the auto braking for awhile due to the oversensitivity.

-I wish spare tire wasn't extra cost option... because ours doesn't have it.

-no AWD option.  I like the better mpg as a tradeoff of course.  But if they could keep sto n go and add AWD they would really clean house.

SUMMARY

-I gave this thing an A when i reviewed it before i ever got one.  10,000 miles in and I still give it an A and honestly wonder why this isn't what people buy instead of CUV's.  Really is a great family ride.  This is the nicest overall vehicle I think we have ever had.  I can't think of another vehicle right at this time that has been better overall in all the time I've been driving.  Knock on wood let's hope we remain without issues.  Please go drive one if you are looking for a 3 row family hauler or other minivan.

I wish GM had more vehicles this smooth to drive, this truly useful and accommodating, and lacking of flaws in the Barra era.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, regfootball said:

oh but the Escalade is priced higher.....

LOL ya never said I had to think about price. CPO Escalades are a bargain. :P 

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

gotta compare new and new.  and then what mpg does that escalade get.

In that case the Pacifica gets better gas mileage while the Escalade has more comfort and interior room. Yet a 2 or 3 yr Lease return or what we call CPO is still pretty much a new car just discounted. Some amazing deals to be had for luxury CPOs.

23 hours ago, dfelt said:

In that case the Pacifica gets better gas mileage while the Escalade has more comfort and interior room. Yet a 2 or 3 yr Lease return or what we call CPO is still pretty much a new car just discounted. Some amazing deals to be had for luxury CPOs.

I wouldn't be so sure about the more comfort... especially with the kids.  

45 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I wouldn't be so sure about the more comfort... especially with the kids.  

True, everyone does have their own preference and I am way past the kids stage now. But my adult kids do love riding in the Escalade for trips.

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The minivan w it's low floor and sliding doors seems like it would be the better family hauler.  

Depends on how big the kids are. Tall kids I think would enjoy the slade better. At least mine did. :P

9 minutes ago, regfootball said:

don't get me wrong, an Escalade would be boss but honestly its a bit much of a beast for me i think

My wife thought that at first till she drove one and found it to drive as easy as a car with a much better view of the road ahead while driving. Now she cannot think of ever being in a car again as they sit too low to the ground.

I get it though, the Pacifica is a nice sweet ride, roomy and handles a family very well. Best out of the minivans I think.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Depends on how big the kids are. Tall kids I think would enjoy the slade better. At least mine did. :P

Just a little comparison between passenger space in Escalade and Pacifica. (front is more spacious a little bit in the Escalade but rear is no comparison)

image.png.47fff969e0f7890e374af155e64a40bd.png

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

He doesn't believe those numbers are real. He never does. 

LOL, cracking jokes already on a monday. I know the minivans have more interior space for storage. Yet with that said, you are looking at two different kinds of comfort for road trips. kids versus adult and what people want and need changes as you get older or based on how you were raised.

I don't see the visibility advantage of higher seating really holding up much longer, as more people move into crossovers and utes, effectively more vehicles are larger and taller blocking the damn view!

In a sedan:

"I hate all these damn SUVs and bricks goddamn blocking ma viehuh"

Trades to a RAM Powerwagon or token MallFinder

" Ah, I can see SOOOOO much better"

- at the cost of someone else's visibility... jackass"

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dfelt said:

LOL, cracking jokes already on a monday. I know the minivans have more interior space for storage. Yet with that said, you are looking at two different kinds of comfort for road trips. kids versus adult and what people want and need changes as you get older or based on how you were raised.

To each its own of course and everybody has its own preferences, but no matter what you say a loaded minivan with captains chairs will be significantly more comfortable for a road trip than a big SUV, even an Escalade for both kids and adults.  And if you say otherwise, it means you never rode in a minivan or just not willing to admit it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ykX said:

To each its own of course and everybody has its own preferences, but no matter what you say a loaded minivan with captains chairs will be significantly more comfortable for a road trip than a big SUV, even an Escalade for both kids and adults.  And if you say otherwise, it means you never rode in a minivan or just not willing to admit it.

Growing up in a large family with vans and station wagons I get where you are coming from. But then as times change and one has ability to buy a luxury SUV for road trips, one's view changes. They both have their place, my life style and what I do I could not do in a minivan. Yet with my full size SUV's I can go places that I prefer and that includes off road.

Doing 3-4 yearly road trips, I will take my Escalade on an 18hr road trip over a Pacifica or any other van, minivan. Comfort cannot be beat to me.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Growing up in a large family with vans and station wagons I get where you are coming from. But then as times change and one has ability to buy a luxury SUV for road trips, one's view changes. They both have their place, my life style and what I do I could not do in a minivan. Yet with my full size SUV's I can go places that I prefer and that includes off road.

Doing 3-4 yearly road trips, I will take my Escalade on an 18hr road trip over a Pacifica or any other van, minivan. Comfort cannot be beat to me.

Wasn't talking about your personal preferences.  As I said, to each its own and both have place for people with their own personal needs and requirements.

I was just commenting on your claims that Escalade has more space and more comfortable for grown ups than minivan, which is not entirely correct.

10 minutes ago, ykX said:

Wasn't talking about your personal preferences.  As I said, to each its own and both have place for people with their own personal needs and requirements.

I was just commenting on your claims that Escalade has more space and more comfortable for grown ups than minivan, which is not entirely correct.

I hear ya, will have to go out and test drive a pacifica as the last minivan I was in was fine for commuting but would not want to be in it for 18hrs. This could also have to do with the sto n go seats as they are very thin and hard IMHO. I think even the current Escalade has lost some comfort in going to the thin seats.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

What kind of differences for road trips are there? I haven't driven either of the vehicles but I would wager the new Pacifica is quieter and offers a softer ride than a BOF truck with a solid rear axle. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What kind of differences for road trips are there? I haven't driven either of the vehicles but I would wager the new Pacifica is quieter and offers a softer ride than a BOF truck with a solid rear axle. 

I would totally disagree with you. Escalades have always been very quiet and the cadillac Magneride system makes it very smooth and comfy. The pacifica is very quiet but the Escalade is another level all together. Plenty of miles driving Escalades to know that they are a very comfortable roomy roadtrip auto.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

But, in all seriousness, you don't believe interior measurements. The Escalade is always the biggest and roomiest in every scenario.  

Here you are wrong, I believe the interior measurements and then the butt in the seat test and in this case, measurements are true for the Pacifica being bigger interior than the Escalade in the second and 3rd row.

Front row, Minivans have always suffered as you have that bullet nose along with the interior design of the front footwell area that is cramped compared to a full size SUV. Especially for a large guy, I will say that the comfort of an Escalade in the front driving is a big difference over a Minivan. Pacifica is the roomiest by far in comparison to Honda or Toyota and especially Kia. Yet with that said, for me when sitting on the seat in the drivers position or the front passengers position, I do not feel as comfortable / leg roomy as I do in an Escalade.

My opinion on that, but that is how I feel when I sit in one compared to another.

• Haha 1

The biggest thing keeping me from an Escalade EXT is the fuel bill.  The current Escalades aren't that bad for what they are now that they have cylinder deactivation, but the prior model was an absolute pig when it came to MPG.   The EXTs attract me, but I know I just couldn't stomach 15 mpg highway when I know the Avalanche can do 20mpg if I'm gentle on it. 

I'd miss the power, but not that much. 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:31 PM, regfootball said:

SIX MONTHS IN REPORT

10,000 miles + on odometer

LOWS

-I would like a little improvement in the console design and the amount of storage available in front for cubbies within reach.  Small glovebox is a step back from the two tier glovebox in the T&C.

-That 9th gear, it takes pigs flying and planets aligning to engage.

-having to go through 2 or 3 screen on the touch screen to turn heated seats and steering wheel on and off is ridiculous.  They need to add the switches for these on the  main panel.

Some of my comments having had ours for 2 months and not quite 2k miles:

- I agree with you on the Console.  It went backwards from the T&C in terms of storage.  Glovebox as well.

- I haven't noticed 9th gear.  I need to go through the menu and see if you can add the gear count to the display like you can on my 200.  I will say my 200 is in 9th gear a lot so I am surprised to hear you say this.

- You are probably aware of this but you know you can drag and drop app icons to the main menu bar, right?  Anything new you drag there will replace whatever icon you drop it on top of.  I plan on adjusting the menu bar by season so in the winter the driver heated seat and heated SW are right on the menu bar.

I will also add one more Low:

- They took away the pop out vent function on the third row windows.  This is also a step back from the T&C

Overall it is a fantastic vehicle, though.  I really enjoy ours.  We did a 300 mile or so trip last weekend that was 40% interstate (80 mph), 40% two lane highway (60 mph) and 20% city and it was showing an indicated 28 mpg and I would only expect that to get better as the engine breaks in.

• 5 months later...

1 YEAR VANNIVERSARY!

over 17,000 trouble free miles.  Have fixed two tires for screws in both, maybe i better consider getting a spare.  Had a couple recalls done along the way.  The Apple Carplay is not working now after a phone update.  Shop says unpair phones and retry.  Haven't gotten that to work yet.  Aside from this, Carplay was working almost flawlessly, especially compared to the Malibu I drive, where it only works 1/2 the time.

This could be the best vehicle we have had.  The nerdiness of a minivan eats at me when i drive it, but as far as vans go, its the most stylish, and IMO the nicest drive.  It's a shame there is not a large crossover and large sedan on this chassis as well.  Not everyone wants a Jeep or Ram, tell that Sergio up in the clouds.

The pentastar v6 is AWESOME, GM only wishes their 3.6 was as smooth and responsive.  Gas mileage in normal weather and normal 10% ethanol tainted gas is 22-24 combined everyday driving.  On trips 25 is easy to get, we have gotten 27, 28, and 30 also.  Even loaded, the van has balls and cruises effortlessly and passes well, north of 70 mph.

The 9 speed tranny will rarely engage 9th, but miracles do happen and it does sometimes.  That actually makes a diff on FE.

The twist knob is quite functional and space efficient in a van, but i admit a small gearshift lever would be my preference, if it were a daily driver.  They need to add some way to enable manual gear control.

I think the console works ok but wish it had 4 cupholders in front and I wish the whole console was a bit more practical.  Still, not egregious.  The fold down armrests are nice, but again for a daily driver I would prefer a typical full console and nice big wide armrests.

The front seats are really comfy and supportive and fit my wideness quite well.  The opposite is the case in my Malibu, which has flimsy, narrow, insubstantial seats (with a lumbar bag that cuts into your back).  The rear sto N go are indeed a compromise for seats when it comes to adults, but if we get another of these I may look at the 8 passenger config, which has a full armrest between the seats and would add a lot of comfort back into the second row.  The Sto N go is totally worth it, you may only use it a few times, but when you do the small tradeoff in seat comfort is worth it for the cargo flexibility.

The main screen and UConnect is large and looks great and is easier to use than the GM stuff I've been in recently including my Malibu.  Something egregious is that the seat and steering wheel heat controls are only on the screen.  They really do need to have their own buttons on the dash.

The Autostop works well, it waits just a bit when stopped before it shuts off.  ANd its much quieter about that, stopping and starting, again than the Malibu. Plus, having the switch on the dash to turn off the Autostop is AWESOME.  I use that 30-50% of the time.

I felt guilty getting it, and I didn't think we needed it, but the huge moonroof is AWESOME.  It's been flawless and it really brightens up the inside of the car.  The shade part does a great job blocking the sun when you don't want it.  I'm spoiled now, I really wish my car had this big moonroof.  Now I am thinking a Regal TourX with the big moonroof over a sportback with the small roof may be the way to go.

Really sucks it seems like they are trying to kill off Chrysler........

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Loving the Pacifica!  The v6 pentastar in this thing is nice and smooth, revs nice, very good power.  Much nicer to drive than the GM 3.6.  The maligned 9 speed, no issues, tranny is smooth too.

Nice ride and drive, this is a great family vehicle.  Why Chrysler FCA is not proliferating this chassis and engine to some new Dodge and Chrysler crossovers and other vehicles is really insane.

One huge beef that is becoming more and more irritating.  There are no dash buttons for the heated seats and no steering wheel button for the steering wheel.  To have to turn that on and off through the touch screen all the time is a MAJOR annoyance.

The CarPlay hasn't worked for awhile now too.  Been trying to find what could possibly get it working again, but all things with the phone i have tried have not made a difference.  Will have to bring it to the dealer soon.

I wish this had a real console, armrest and traditional shift lever.  The rotary shift knob is efficient and easy to use, but i just prefer the typical shift lever on the console with a real armrest and console instead of the folding armrest off the seat.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1