1992 Pontiac SLP FireHawk | Retro Review

I  remember watching this episode on TV way back when. 

I loved this car. That and the 1989 Turbo Trans Am were my favorite 3rd gen F-Body Firebird/Trans Ams.

The only draw back to this Firehawk was that the tires up front were too fat  and would not be able to turn all the way rubbing the wheel wells. 

That and it was expensive AF. 

The 3rd gen Firebird I always liked of that era was the Trans AM GTA...I liked the taillights and rounded rear bumper in particular. A buddy in high school had an '87..was a sweet car, a dark red..he managed to spin it out when it only had maybe 250 miles and damage the rear end, spent a while at at dealer after that. 

23 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The 3rd gen Firebird I always liked of that era was the Trans AM GTA...I liked the taillights and rounded rear bumper in particular. A buddy in high school had an '87..was a sweet car, a dark red..he managed to spin it out when it only had maybe 250 miles and damage the rear end, spent a while at at dealer after that. 

I owned a 1989 2.8 liter V6 Firebird. I bought it used from a friend.  I wrapped it around a traffic light on a sleet and snowy Sunday morning March 20, 1994.  Im lucky to be alive. Only a minor scratch getting out of the car. 

T-Tops. Red.  Automatic.

I loved that car. 

I then crashed my dad's 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity not long after that. Totaled that one too. We went that whole summer without a car. He wanted to punish me. He punished himself too but he had my uncle's (his brother) fullsized Chevy van to fall back on. The van that I drove since 1990 during the winter months as my uncle would go to Jamaica leaving the Montreal winter behind. I wasnt allowed to touch the van any more....

I worked hard that summer, I still partied, but I worked hard. I saved up a lot of money that summer regardless and my dad and I, we made a contract that we would buy a new car together and I was to respect the car we were buying, the speed limits, the law and most importantly, the lives of innocent people and of course my own life. We bought a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT. 

And yes. I respected everything that I promised my dad when we signed the papers that fall. Needless to say. The speed limit one is still the one to elude me....but at least its not crazy speeding endanger other people's lives (and my own), but speeding is still speeding...

Edited by oldshurst442

I think as a teenager and 20 something I tended to take it easy w/ my 5.0 Mustang and not do anything too wild, saw too many friends wreck their fun cars..my high school had a 1/2 dozen mid 80s 5.0 Mustangs, several Camaro Z/28s and IROCs, Monte Carlo SSes, Trans Ams, 1 Buick Grand National, a few 60s-70s muscle cars.  I know of at least 1/2 dozen kids that totaled or heavily damaged their cars (the Grand National got rolled).  One girl I knew totaled her '87 Mustang GT the day she got it...wrapped it around a palm tree next to the high school. Her folks got another one the next day..

I had a few white-knuckle experiences in my Mustang years later in Colorado..out for a drive in the mountains on sunny fall or spring days and getting caught in an unexpected blizzard going over 9000ft mountain passes (on Goodyear Eagle Gatorback tires), and did a 180 on black ice once.. 

My group was violent on the road. In a decisively rural area, we sucked up all the vintage 60s iron and drove like bats out of hell. This included countless runs well over 100 MPH and jumping cars numerous times. One friend did get killed- cut his '71-73 fastback Mustang in half when he lost control and slid sideways into a pole while street racing. Another couple of friends hit a tree in a '65 Catalina, totaled the car (they only had minor injuries). The mortality rate should have been higher given the recklessness, but of course; we were immortal.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...