William Maley

Review: 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fcea8802970b.jpg

That reminds me of all the generic looking minimalist icons that Google and Apple have put into their software that just makes me think, WTF is that supposed to represent?

They could not do an arrow if it is a left turn indicator?

Maybe a star rising?

Sad that Chevy has taken a cheap ass way of doing whatever it is supposed to represent.

:stupid:

?  Well duh, yes it's a turn indicator, they also have cargo lights, are heated and power folding.

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

That reminds me of all the generic looking minimalist icons that Google and Apple have put into their software that just makes me think, WTF is that supposed to represent?

Why? An arrow would have wasted space because of the shape..this suffices because it is on the left mirror, so the function is obvious.

Just now, balthazar said:

Arrow doesn't 'waste space'; it's a straight line bent in the middle.
But I agree- it's on the left, it means turning left.

It takes up more width than a straight vertical bar, though.   Space is at a premium on the face of a mirror.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It takes up more width than a straight vertical bar, though.   Space is at a premium on the face of a mirror.

Silverado mirrors are huge and the 'bent line' covers the same amount of square millimeters.

Only here could we wander away from Italian badged Japanese built sports cars to be discussing Silverado mirror indicators.....

Maybe it's simply an indicator how interesting a Fiat rebadge of a Mazda is. ;)

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Maybe it's simply an indicator how interesting a Fiat rebadge of a Mazda is. ;)

The colour combos of that Fiat Abarth rebadge of a Miata I might say, is quite interesting. 

The fact that the Fiat rebadge of the Miata does not at all look like a Miata is also quite interesting.

The fact that a Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky were rebadges of one another and as good of a job that GM did to mask the fact that they were rebadges of one another but one could see the similarities but as how the Fiat guys  did so much to mask the rebadge of their 124 to the Miata and one could not really tell really is interesting as how they accomplished that.  

I mean, Subaru and Toyota's joint efforts to make a sports car went to great lengths to engineer its awesome handling yet, they forgot to distinguish it for its respective brand...

The powertrain...The GM twins and the Toyobaru...all share the same engines with their respective rebadged brethren....not so with the Fiat 124 and its rebadged cousin. Which to that I will say is...interesting. 

Miatas and Solstices and Skys and Toyobarus all have undergone well documented LS swaps...not so with a Fiat 124 of any vintage... (maybe somebody somewhere in USA Land prolly has done an LS swap on a Fiat 124, but it certainly is not well advertised and publicized on the internet as like the others I mentioned....which I will also say is interesting....from a certain point of view....a certain point of view from a certain type of car enthusiast that, shall we say, likes to keep all things Fiat authentic...as opposed to the lack of loyalty towards the other cars Ive mentioned...) 

So Id say....perhaps that a mirror from a pick-up truck might seem to be of a more interesting subject to talk about ratherthan a Fiat rebadge of a Miata.  It is NOT however because the Fiat 124 lacks any kind of interesting things to talk about....but maybe the folks that are talking about a pick-up truck mirror rather than the Fiat might lack some personality of their own...:P

• Haha 1

@oldshurst442 Or it could be that  the audience of interest over a rebadge Mazda as a Fiat is so small now that most go Meh! and Move onto other interesting autos that actually have more use and purpose in life. :P 

Give it another 20 years and then sport coupes as an EV might come back into fashion, right now you know it is all about the CUV / Truck baby! :D 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Only here could we wander away from Italian badged Japanese built sports cars to be discussing Silverado mirror indicators.....

Well, you gotta have something to tow it with......:P

• Haha 2

I'm going to confess something.

I have never driven a Miata.  During all of the media events that I've gone to, it always has a wait and with so many other cars there that don't have waits, I can't be standing around waiting for a car.

I have, however, driven the 124 spider and I really liked it. The handling is well balanced, steering supurbe and the engine willing.  It's got a bit of grit to it that appeals to me.... just enough of the "old world" Italian roadster feel from the engine.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, dfelt said:

Maybe a star rising?

Sad that Chevy has taken a cheap ass way of doing whatever it is supposed to represent.

I don't think that's a blinker because why would we need a blinker in that location. I think that might be a blind spot indicator.. I'm could very well be wrong though. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think that's a blinker because why would we need a blinker in that location. I think that might be a blind spot indicator.. I'm could very well be wrong though. 

My 2006 Escalade has an arrow on both mirrors which is part of the turn signal and I noticed in newer versions they have the turn signal plus blind spot indicator. 

Maybe your right that it could be the blind spot since there is the yellow spot on the edge of the mirror that would function as turn indicator.

No it isn't.  It is a turn indicator.  I watched the video on YouTube going over the functions.  It is a turn indicator for people who are in the lane next to you.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm going to confess something.

I have never driven a Miata.  During all of the media events that I've gone to, it always has a wait and with so many other cars there that don't have waits, I can't be standing around waiting for a car.

I have, however, driven the 124 spider and I really liked it. The handling is well balanced, steering supurbe and the engine willing.  It's got a bit of grit to it that appeals to me.... just enough of the "old world" Italian roadster feel from the engine.

Interesting, feel the same way about the Miata. Took me a while to drive one, but I totally understand why folks love them the way they do. As much fun as I make of them 124, I bet it is fun to drive too....:)

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
      Mazda is on a mission lately to make their products feel more premium. They have been tuning their vehicles to be quieter and more refined in order to give them an air that they are above their class. This second generation of the Mazda CX-5 debuted for the 2017 model year with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft of torque.  For 2019, Mazda added the 2.5-liter turbocharged engine from the CX-9. On regular gas, the engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft of torque, but if you fill it up with 93 octane, the horsepower figure bumps up to 250.  Available only on the Grand Touring and Signature trims, the 2.5-T makes the CX-5 the compact crossover with the most available torque.  Mazda sent a CX-5 Signature for me to try for a week to see what I thought.
      There’s no replacement for displacement… maybe
      The biggest CX-5 news for 2019 is the engine options. There is the 2.5-T mentioned above and a 2.2-liter turbo diesel. Both are exciting entries into a relatively conservative segment.  The 2.5-T is the second-largest displacement engine available in the segment, behind the 3.2 liter V6 in the Jeep Cherokee.  This 4-cylinder puts out quite a bit more torque than the bigger V6, though the Jeep produces more horsepower (271 @ 6,500 rpm). Even among 4-cylinders, this is the largest displacement you can get, but none of those others offering 2.5 liters also offers a turbocharger. This engine is rated by the EPA to get 22 city / 27 highway.  I got about 24 mpg in mostly city driving. Zero to 60 is a claimed 6.2 seconds.
      Under normal driving, the engine is quiet and composed, with torque coming on quickly when called for. When the pedal is mashed at speed, the CX-5 leaps forward with minimal turbo lag and gives off a strong growl from under the hood. The only time you can really feel any lag in the turbo is if you are starting from a dead stop. Overall, you never feel without power at the tip of your toes and the sounds, and lack of sounds, from the engine room is quiet and refined.
      One area the CX-5 falls behind on is in the transmission department. Although the transmission offers smooth shift and is willing to downshift when called upon, a 6-speed automatic almost feels anachronistic in a time when all of its direct competition is sporting 8 or 9 speeds. I never thought there would come a day when 6-forward gears aren’t enough, but here we are. Adding 2 or 3 more gears to the CX-5 would further liven up the already sporty crossover and help keep the turbocharged engine firmly in the good places of its torque band.
      Ride: Al dente – Firm but tender
      If there is a brand that Mazda is looking to emulate here by being premium without the premium badge, it would likely be BMW.  The ride is firm, but not so harsh as to spill your latte. Steering is on the heavy side with precise control and great on-center feel.  Body roll is minimal. Pushing the CX-5 into corners is fun and the standard G-Vectoring Control Plus makes sure you stay planted where you intended to be.  The i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive mostly runs in front-wheel-drive mode until microscopic amounts of wheel slip are detected and then some torque is instantly transferred to the rear wheels.  Mazda programs the AWD system to always have at least a little bit of torque going to the rear in order for the transfer of torque to happen faster. 
      It’s what’s inside that matter most
      Inside the CX-5, the premium story continues. There is a distinct lack of cheap plastic even in places where they could probably get away with it. The dash and door panels are made of soft-touch material and there is a tasteful amount of chrome trim. Though the seats look black in pictures, they are actually a very dark brown that Mazda calls Caturra Brown Nappa leather. This leather is a feature of the Signature trim level and they are both heated and ventilated.  Rear passengers get heated outboard seats as well, controlled from inside the fold-down center armrest. Also, a feature of the Signature trim is the real wood dash inlay and ambient cabin lighting. The seats in the CX-5 are very comfortable with just the right combination of support and cushion. They would be most welcome companions on a long road trip. The rear seats are fairly flat and do not offer a lot of legroom.  There is no adjustment fore and aft.  Wind and tire noise has been kept to a minimum.
      There are 4 USB ports, two in the up front armrest and two in the rear armrest. Only one of them allows a connection to the infotainment system.  Oddly, the USB ports don’t seem to put out much juice as my phones were very slow to charge from them.
      The infotainment system is another area similar to BMW.  The unit is controlled by a large dial in the center console or touch screen controls. I found the touch aspect to be laggy and a long reach, so I found myself using the dial. Using the dial to navigate is simple enough, but the menus and layout of the screen could probably use a re-think.  Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both here, for some reason only Apple CarPlay can be activated by touch. Operating either system is frustrating with the dial however, this is especially true for Android Auto which I found frustrating to use without touch screen functionality. At least, unlike BMW, Mazda doesn’t charge you an extra subscription fee to use them. Sound from the Bose speakers was clear, but not especially great.
      There was a time when people mostly bought crossovers for the utility of hauling lots of bulky stuff home from the store, however, these days are different. Now, crossovers are a fashion statement.  Still, the CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats folded and 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.  That is at the high end of mid-pack in the segment with the Honda CR-V being the leader, while the Toyota RAV-4, Chevy Equinox, and Ford Escape all have less. 
      Do you need a safe space? This may be it.
      The Mazda CX-5 Signature comes with a whole host of safety equipment and the center of it all is the heads-up display that keeps the driver informed.  Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane-Keep Assist, and Radar Cruise Control, all have status lights in the heads-up display.  I found the blind spot monitoring system to be especially helpful when I was backing out onto a busy street with limited visibility.  Radar Cruise control is one of my favorite systems of all and I feel it should be standard equipment on all cars. The CX-5 can even read speed limit and stop signs as you approach, changing and updating the local regulations in the heads up display.
      The Signature also comes with active headlights that turn when you turn to help see around corners. They helped me spot a deer on the side of the road I normally would not have seen.
      The Verdict
      The CX-5 Signature is the top of the CX-5 line, so naturally, the price is reflected in that. With an MSRP of $36,890 before any options, the CX-5 may seem pricey, but it comes with everything you could possibly want.  However, when you compare it to other small crossovers with similar equipment it actually ends up comparing favorably to others in its class. I priced out Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 2.0T and technology group and the MSRP is $41,685. A GMC Terrain Denali with all the same option boxes checked? $41,430.  A Honda CR-V can’t even be equipped like the CX-5 because there is no up-level engine option, yet it still rings up to $38,147.
      Overall, Mazda has produced a handsome, sporty, fun to drive crossover with enough utility to remain competitive. They’ve loaded it with safety equipment and kept the price in check. It is definitely worth a look.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
      Mazda is on a mission lately to make their products feel more premium. They have been tuning their vehicles to be quieter and more refined in order to give them an air that they are above their class. This second generation of the Mazda CX-5 debuted for the 2017 model year with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft of torque.  For 2019, Mazda added the 2.5-liter turbocharged engine from the CX-9. On regular gas, the engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft of torque, but if you fill it up with 93 octane, the horsepower figure bumps up to 250.  Available only on the Grand Touring and Signature trims, the 2.5-T makes the CX-5 the compact crossover with the most available torque.  Mazda sent a CX-5 Signature for me to try for a week to see what I thought.
      There’s no replacement for displacement… maybe
      The biggest CX-5 news for 2019 is the engine options. There is the 2.5-T mentioned above and a 2.2-liter turbo diesel. Both are exciting entries into a relatively conservative segment.  The 2.5-T is the second-largest displacement engine available in the segment, behind the 3.2 liter V6 in the Jeep Cherokee.  This 4-cylinder puts out quite a bit more torque than the bigger V6, though the Jeep produces more horsepower (271 @ 6,500 rpm). Even among 4-cylinders, this is the largest displacement you can get, but none of those others offering 2.5 liters also offers a turbocharger. This engine is rated by the EPA to get 22 city / 27 highway.  I got about 24 mpg in mostly city driving. Zero to 60 is a claimed 6.2 seconds.
      Under normal driving, the engine is quiet and composed, with torque coming on quickly when called for. When the pedal is mashed at speed, the CX-5 leaps forward with minimal turbo lag and gives off a strong growl from under the hood. The only time you can really feel any lag in the turbo is if you are starting from a dead stop. Overall, you never feel without power at the tip of your toes and the sounds, and lack of sounds, from the engine room is quiet and refined.
      One area the CX-5 falls behind on is in the transmission department. Although the transmission offers smooth shift and is willing to downshift when called upon, a 6-speed automatic almost feels anachronistic in a time when all of its direct competition is sporting 8 or 9 speeds. I never thought there would come a day when 6-forward gears aren’t enough, but here we are. Adding 2 or 3 more gears to the CX-5 would further liven up the already sporty crossover and help keep the turbocharged engine firmly in the good places of its torque band.
      Ride: Al dente – Firm but tender
      If there is a brand that Mazda is looking to emulate here by being premium without the premium badge, it would likely be BMW.  The ride is firm, but not so harsh as to spill your latte. Steering is on the heavy side with precise control and great on-center feel.  Body roll is minimal. Pushing the CX-5 into corners is fun and the standard G-Vectoring Control Plus makes sure you stay planted where you intended to be.  The i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive mostly runs in front-wheel-drive mode until microscopic amounts of wheel slip are detected and then some torque is instantly transferred to the rear wheels.  Mazda programs the AWD system to always have at least a little bit of torque going to the rear in order for the transfer of torque to happen faster. 
      It’s what’s inside that matter most
      Inside the CX-5, the premium story continues. There is a distinct lack of cheap plastic even in places where they could probably get away with it. The dash and door panels are made of soft-touch material and there is a tasteful amount of chrome trim. Though the seats look black in pictures, they are actually a very dark brown that Mazda calls Caturra Brown Nappa leather. This leather is a feature of the Signature trim level and they are both heated and ventilated.  Rear passengers get heated outboard seats as well, controlled from inside the fold-down center armrest. Also, a feature of the Signature trim is the real wood dash inlay and ambient cabin lighting. The seats in the CX-5 are very comfortable with just the right combination of support and cushion. They would be most welcome companions on a long road trip. The rear seats are fairly flat and do not offer a lot of legroom.  There is no adjustment fore and aft.  Wind and tire noise has been kept to a minimum.
      There are 4 USB ports, two in the up front armrest and two in the rear armrest. Only one of them allows a connection to the infotainment system.  Oddly, the USB ports don’t seem to put out much juice as my phones were very slow to charge from them.
      The infotainment system is another area similar to BMW.  The unit is controlled by a large dial in the center console or touch screen controls. I found the touch aspect to be laggy and a long reach, so I found myself using the dial. Using the dial to navigate is simple enough, but the menus and layout of the screen could probably use a re-think.  Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both here, for some reason only Apple CarPlay can be activated by touch. Operating either system is frustrating with the dial however, this is especially true for Android Auto which I found frustrating to use without touch screen functionality. At least, unlike BMW, Mazda doesn’t charge you an extra subscription fee to use them. Sound from the Bose speakers was clear, but not especially great.
      There was a time when people mostly bought crossovers for the utility of hauling lots of bulky stuff home from the store, however, these days are different. Now, crossovers are a fashion statement.  Still, the CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats folded and 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.  That is at the high end of mid-pack in the segment with the Honda CR-V being the leader, while the Toyota RAV-4, Chevy Equinox, and Ford Escape all have less. 
      Do you need a safe space? This may be it.
      The Mazda CX-5 Signature comes with a whole host of safety equipment and the center of it all is the heads-up display that keeps the driver informed.  Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane-Keep Assist, and Radar Cruise Control, all have status lights in the heads-up display.  I found the blind spot monitoring system to be especially helpful when I was backing out onto a busy street with limited visibility.  Radar Cruise control is one of my favorite systems of all and I feel it should be standard equipment on all cars. The CX-5 can even read speed limit and stop signs as you approach, changing and updating the local regulations in the heads up display.
      The Signature also comes with active headlights that turn when you turn to help see around corners. They helped me spot a deer on the side of the road I normally would not have seen.
      The Verdict
      The CX-5 Signature is the top of the CX-5 line, so naturally, the price is reflected in that. With an MSRP of $36,890 before any options, the CX-5 may seem pricey, but it comes with everything you could possibly want.  However, when you compare it to other small crossovers with similar equipment it actually ends up comparing favorably to others in its class. I priced out Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 2.0T and technology group and the MSRP is $41,685. A GMC Terrain Denali with all the same option boxes checked? $41,430.  A Honda CR-V can’t even be equipped like the CX-5 because there is no up-level engine option, yet it still rings up to $38,147.
      Overall, Mazda has produced a handsome, sporty, fun to drive crossover with enough utility to remain competitive. They’ve loaded it with safety equipment and kept the price in check. It is definitely worth a look.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Fiat's future is uncertain in North America as the brand struggles to find sales.  Already, the Fiat 500 has been dropped from the lineup in North America, and that was one of the better sellers.  The Fiat 500X is more of a crossover hatchback. It shares its platform with the fantastically more popular Jeep Renegade.  Still, even in spite of its sales troubles, Fiat is releasing a refresh of the 500X Sport for 2020.
      The new 500x Sport gets new front and rear fascia designs, a black roof option, dark finished headliner and pillars, new sport seating, an updated version of uConnect with a 7-inch display including navigation, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. A new exterior color "Rovente Red" is being added. 
      The 500X Sport is powered by a 1.3-liter turbocharged MultiAir III engine. The engine produces 177 horsepower and an impressive 210 lb.-ft of torque while also delivering 30 mpg highway.  Fiat points out that this is the only car in the class to have AWD standard and also get 30 mpg highway.
      The 2020 Fiat 500X Sport starts at $26,895 before destination charges and will be available in the first quarter of 2020. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Fiat's future is uncertain in North America as the brand struggles to find sales.  Already, the Fiat 500 has been dropped from the lineup in North America, and that was one of the better sellers.  The Fiat 500X is more of a crossover hatchback. It shares its platform with the fantastically more popular Jeep Renegade.  Still, even in spite of its sales troubles, Fiat is releasing a refresh of the 500X Sport for 2020.
      The new 500x Sport gets new front and rear fascia designs, a black roof option, dark finished headliner and pillars, new sport seating, an updated version of uConnect with a 7-inch display including navigation, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. A new exterior color "Rovente Red" is being added. 
      The 500X Sport is powered by a 1.3-liter turbocharged MultiAir III engine. The engine produces 177 horsepower and an impressive 210 lb.-ft of torque while also delivering 30 mpg highway.  Fiat points out that this is the only car in the class to have AWD standard and also get 30 mpg highway.
      The 2020 Fiat 500X Sport starts at $26,895 before destination charges and will be available in the first quarter of 2020. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      In this week for a review is a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature with the turbocharged 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G engine.  This engine is shared with the Mazda CX-9 and Mazda 6 Turbo and produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft of torque on regular gasoline, but bumps up to 250 horsepower on 93 octane. All-wheel drive is standard.
      This is the most loaded of the CX-5 trims with only the paint ($300) and rear bumper guard ($125) as additional charges.  That brings the MSRP to $38,360 after destination charges. 
      What do you want to know about this Mazda while I have it for a week?  Let me know in the comments below. 

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

I think the haters have to get over it and step into the reality of 2019 and the future. This is the next addition to the #Mustang family. The fact that it is an EV makes it even more interesting. I think it will sell well (for an EV) and do better than the Tesla Model X since it is significantly cheaper but still gets up to 300 miles range.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

I could get comfortable in the back of the G90, the back seat is fabulous. What do you think of the new @genesis_usa flagship?
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The @Hyundai party with Brett Michael's.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

And here its is, the most controversial car in the #laautoshow, the #Mustang #MachE. I think they did a good job with it, and if they're going to make a whole family of Mustangs, this is a very good start.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The second most controversial car at the #LAAutoShow. #corvette #c8
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook