William Maley

Toyota News: Toyota Admits Lack of AWD Hurting C-HR Sales

Toyota's polarizing C-HR crossover went on sale earlier this year and it isn't doing so well in terms of sales. Through November, Toyota has only moved 21,889 units, way less than Chevrolet Trax (72,723 units) and Honda HR-V (86,491).

Speaking to Wards Auto, Toyota Motor Sales USA's president Bob Carter said a key reason the comes down to the C-HR not offering all-wheel drive in North America. Most subcompact crossovers sold in the U.S. have the option of AWD. But if Toyota was to AWD to the C-HR, it would highlight another problem. The C-HR carries a base price of $22,500, making it one of the more expensive models in the class.

The C-HR isn't the only crossover that will only come front-wheel drive. Nissan's upcoming Kicks crossover will also be FWD only. However, Michael Bunce, senior vice president-product planning for Nissan North America tells Wards that only offering FWD on the Kicks shouldn't dent sales due to the low price of under $19,000. Those who want AWD will need to step up to the Rogue Sport which begins at $22,470 for the base S AWD.

Source: Wards Auto

View full article

Of course AWD is the only culprit.  It can't be the just totally weird styling... CAN IT?  And the homely, unexciting but extremely friendly little Trax soldiers on day by day, doing its job.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't be that it has less usable cargo room than the tC? Or that somehow they made this tall hatch feel more cramped for rear passengers than the tC?

This is just Toyota's version of a Juke without the frog eyes.

• Upvote 3

It does cost too much, and looks like yesterday's Nissan Juke which doesn't help, and these things have like an 11 second 0-60 time which can't be too fun to drive.  So there isn't much going for the CH-R, plus the name is forgettable, and a RAV4 is like $3k more which in dealership speak is "only another $29 per month"

They need to do an AWD Lexus version of the CH-R with violent predator gundam styling, below the NX. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

They need to do an AWD Lexus version of the CH-R with violent predator gundam styling, below the NX. 

They are, the Lexus UX goes on sale in 2018.

Perhaps...

But Id rather Kiss continue putting the 'X' in Sex and just keep rockin' on to make us forget how phoquing lame Toyota has become!

• Upvote 1

I like the styling but I haven't checked one out to know how cramped it is inside. If it's sold as an SUV, if it doesn't have AWD then the price needs to be more in line with a fwd sedan because people will only see it as a hatchback alternative not an SUV.  People will shell out extra for an "SUV". 

Trax can sell because it provides a mini SUV feel. Upright seats and cabin. Actually aside from super tight width accommodates people really well for it's size. Flexible for cargo as well. The Jukes and CH-R's of the world maybe need to think of the utility aspect more. 

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

I like the styling but I haven't checked one out to know how cramped it is inside. If it's sold as an SUV, if it doesn't have AWD then the price needs to be more in line with a fwd sedan because people will only see it as a hatchback alternative not an SUV.  People will shell out extra for an "SUV". 

Trax can sell because it provides a mini SUV feel. Upright seats and cabin. Actually aside from super tight width accommodates people really well for it's size. Flexible for cargo as well. The Jukes and CH-R's of the world maybe need to think of the utility aspect more. 

I've seen the two side by side....I'd buy the Trax hands down. Their really is not much space in the CH-R....looks like some farted in a corolla to gain that extra space.......

• Haha 2

CH-R = a tiny body with giant lights protruding way out to give an impression of size.  Kind of like this little guy when perturbed: 

Frilled_Lizard_(1).jpg

• Haha 1

The C-HR kinds of looks like a Velocter with an extra door and angry styling..

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

CH-R = a tiny body with giant lights protruding way out to give an impression of size.  Kind of like this little guy when perturbed: 

Frilled_Lizard_(1).jpg

I thought we were supposed to be nice to each other at this time of year. :angry:

How did you get a picture of my cousin? :o

:P:lol:

O'h wait, he is not german, my bad! :roflmao:

• Confused 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Nissan is forcing employees to go without pay for two days at the beginning of January 2020 by remaining closed on the 2nd and 3rd of January. The move equates to a 9.2% pay cut for those paid monthly.  In addition to the pay cuts, Nissan is cutting travel expenses by half effective immediately. All of Nissan's US operations, including Infiniti an Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp, the company's in house financing unit are included in the shut down. 
      Nissan has been plagued with falling sales in the U.S. with the entire group falling 16 percent in November. Nissan brand fell 13 percent and Infiniti fell 33 percent (You can view the industry sales figure ticker for November here). Nissan has been moving away from high volume fleet sales and cutting back on retail incentives in a drive to be more profitable. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Nissan is forcing employees to go without pay for two days at the beginning of January 2020 by remaining closed on the 2nd and 3rd of January. The move equates to a 9.2% pay cut for those paid monthly.  In addition to the pay cuts, Nissan is cutting travel expenses by half effective immediately. All of Nissan's US operations, including Infiniti an Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp, the company's in house financing unit are included in the shut down. 
      Nissan has been plagued with falling sales in the U.S. with the entire group falling 16 percent in November. Nissan brand fell 13 percent and Infiniti fell 33 percent (You can view the industry sales figure ticker for November here). Nissan has been moving away from high volume fleet sales and cutting back on retail incentives in a drive to be more profitable. 
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Corolla for the past couple of decades has been the poster child of the vehicle that just existed. All it was built to do was go from point a to b without any sort of enthusiasm. But Toyota is wanting to change that with the redesign of Corolla, starting with the new Corolla Hatchback. Has it worked?
      The Corolla Hatchback falls in line with recent Toyota models with a shouty design. A sloping front end features massive lower grille, slim daytime running lights, and headlights that looked to be chiseled in. My SE tester lacked the 18-inch alloy wheels and a huge rear wing that is standard on the XSE. But the smaller wheels and wing provide a much cleaner look.
      The interior looks more expressive with a layered dashboard design and faux stitching around both the dash and transmission. In traditional Toyota fashion, controls for the various functions are within easy reach. An eight-inch screen mounted high on the dash is standard on Corolla Hatchbacks and comes with the latest version of Entune. As I have noted in other 2019 Toyotas, the updated Entune is noticeably quicker when switching between various functions. Also appreciated is the integration with Apple CarPlay which gives a driver another choice for infotainment. Those with Android phones will need to get their hands on the 2020 model. What I do wish is that Toyota had made the interface slightly more modern and added other colors that weren’t 50 shades of grey. 
      If you find yourself riding in the Corolla Hatchback, be sure to nab the front seat. Those sitting in the back will find space for their legs to be quite small. This isn’t helped with the narrow rear door openings. At least no one will have any complaints with the headroom as the hatchback has plenty of it. It gets even worse when you open up the rear tailgate and you’re presented with a minuscule 17.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats. The new Mazda3 offers more space at 20.1.
      Power comes from a new 2.0L four-cylinder producing 168 horsepower and 151 pounds-feet of torque, a noticeable increase from the outgoing Corolla iM - 137 HP and 126 lb-ft. This has moved overall performance impressions from poor to adequate as the hatchback is noticeably quicker around town. Country and highway driving are still a weak point as you’ll need to jam the gas to get any real movement from the engine. I would like to see either Toyota introduce a small turbo engine or figure out how to have torque readily available at a lower rpm. 
      My test vehicle was fitted with an optional CVT; a six-speed manual is standard. This CVT is different from others as Toyota fitted a fixed first gear ratio that it uses when leaving a stop. This reduces the rubber-band-type delay when accelerating and makes it feel more like a conventional automatic.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the Corolla Hatchback with the CVT are 32 City/42 Highway/36 Combined. My average for the week landed around 36.1 mpg.
      One area that the Corolla Hatchback’s predecessor impressed me was the handling. It felt planted and had surprising reflexes when going through a bend, but the rubbery steering did let it down. The Corolla Hatchback carries this torch as it feels even sharper with less body roll and a nimble feel. Steering is improved as well with a more natural feel when turning. I’ll still put the last-generation Mazda3 and Volkswagen Golf as the best-handling models in the class, but Corolla Hatchback isn’t too far behind.
      Despite its sporting intentions, the Corolla Hatchback coped very well on Detroit’s shambolic roads with most bumps and ruts being smoothed over. Part of this comes down to the SE having 16-inch wheels, allowing for more sidewall. Road noise is kept out, but there is a fair amount of wind noise that enters when driving on the freeway.
      Toyota pulled most of the stops out when working on the Corolla Hatchback and their efforts have paid off. It is the best looking Corolla in quite some time, offers surprising handling characteristics, and comes well equipped for the money. The SE begins at $21,090 and that includes adaptive cruise control, pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, eight-inch touchscreen, and LED lighting. Where the Corolla Hatchback loses ground is rear-seat space and cargo room which trails competitors by a significant amount. That’s the make or break decision as to whether you should or shouldn’t consider one.
      Nevertheless, Toyota has done the seemingly impossible: Made the Corolla interesting.
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Corolla Hatchback, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Corolla Hatchback
      Trim: SE
      Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve D4S Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 168 @ 6,600
      Torque @ RPM: 151 @ 4,800 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 32/42/36
      Curb Weight: 3,060 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toyota, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $21,090
      As Tested Price: $23,639.00 (Includes $920.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SE Preferred Package - $1,400.00
      Carpet Mat Package - $229.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Corolla for the past couple of decades has been the poster child of the vehicle that just existed. All it was built to do was go from point a to b without any sort of enthusiasm. But Toyota is wanting to change that with the redesign of Corolla, starting with the new Corolla Hatchback. Has it worked?
      The Corolla Hatchback falls in line with recent Toyota models with a shouty design. A sloping front end features massive lower grille, slim daytime running lights, and headlights that looked to be chiseled in. My SE tester lacked the 18-inch alloy wheels and a huge rear wing that is standard on the XSE. But the smaller wheels and wing provide a much cleaner look.
      The interior looks more expressive with a layered dashboard design and faux stitching around both the dash and transmission. In traditional Toyota fashion, controls for the various functions are within easy reach. An eight-inch screen mounted high on the dash is standard on Corolla Hatchbacks and comes with the latest version of Entune. As I have noted in other 2019 Toyotas, the updated Entune is noticeably quicker when switching between various functions. Also appreciated is the integration with Apple CarPlay which gives a driver another choice for infotainment. Those with Android phones will need to get their hands on the 2020 model. What I do wish is that Toyota had made the interface slightly more modern and added other colors that weren’t 50 shades of grey. 
      If you find yourself riding in the Corolla Hatchback, be sure to nab the front seat. Those sitting in the back will find space for their legs to be quite small. This isn’t helped with the narrow rear door openings. At least no one will have any complaints with the headroom as the hatchback has plenty of it. It gets even worse when you open up the rear tailgate and you’re presented with a minuscule 17.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats. The new Mazda3 offers more space at 20.1.
      Power comes from a new 2.0L four-cylinder producing 168 horsepower and 151 pounds-feet of torque, a noticeable increase from the outgoing Corolla iM - 137 HP and 126 lb-ft. This has moved overall performance impressions from poor to adequate as the hatchback is noticeably quicker around town. Country and highway driving are still a weak point as you’ll need to jam the gas to get any real movement from the engine. I would like to see either Toyota introduce a small turbo engine or figure out how to have torque readily available at a lower rpm. 
      My test vehicle was fitted with an optional CVT; a six-speed manual is standard. This CVT is different from others as Toyota fitted a fixed first gear ratio that it uses when leaving a stop. This reduces the rubber-band-type delay when accelerating and makes it feel more like a conventional automatic.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the Corolla Hatchback with the CVT are 32 City/42 Highway/36 Combined. My average for the week landed around 36.1 mpg.
      One area that the Corolla Hatchback’s predecessor impressed me was the handling. It felt planted and had surprising reflexes when going through a bend, but the rubbery steering did let it down. The Corolla Hatchback carries this torch as it feels even sharper with less body roll and a nimble feel. Steering is improved as well with a more natural feel when turning. I’ll still put the last-generation Mazda3 and Volkswagen Golf as the best-handling models in the class, but Corolla Hatchback isn’t too far behind.
      Despite its sporting intentions, the Corolla Hatchback coped very well on Detroit’s shambolic roads with most bumps and ruts being smoothed over. Part of this comes down to the SE having 16-inch wheels, allowing for more sidewall. Road noise is kept out, but there is a fair amount of wind noise that enters when driving on the freeway.
      Toyota pulled most of the stops out when working on the Corolla Hatchback and their efforts have paid off. It is the best looking Corolla in quite some time, offers surprising handling characteristics, and comes well equipped for the money. The SE begins at $21,090 and that includes adaptive cruise control, pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, eight-inch touchscreen, and LED lighting. Where the Corolla Hatchback loses ground is rear-seat space and cargo room which trails competitors by a significant amount. That’s the make or break decision as to whether you should or shouldn’t consider one.
      Nevertheless, Toyota has done the seemingly impossible: Made the Corolla interesting.
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Corolla Hatchback, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Corolla Hatchback
      Trim: SE
      Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve D4S Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 168 @ 6,600
      Torque @ RPM: 151 @ 4,800 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 32/42/36
      Curb Weight: 3,060 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toyota, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $21,090
      As Tested Price: $23,639.00 (Includes $920.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SE Preferred Package - $1,400.00
      Carpet Mat Package - $229.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      NISSAN DIVISION
      NOVEMBER
      NOVEMBER
      Monthly
      CYTD
      CYTD
      CYTD

% chg