• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford Plans to End Fusion Production in North America

A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decade. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.

This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.

“We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.

A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.

Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.

What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article

The sedan marches slowly towards death. It will probably be a niche product like wagons and hatches in 10 years time. 

• Upvote 2

Cars are a dead future product, like Drew said, Niche products moving forward as Hybrid and EV will allow us to move back to larger, roomier CUV/SUVs that give everyone what they want. Room, Comfort and still have performance. The day of the pure ICE car is coming to a close. RIP

EV / Hybrid CUV/SUV is our future now.

• Haha 1

More interesting is how much Ford is hurting right now....they are struggling hard with the line up they have now. If it wasn't for trucks, things might get real interesting...

I know for a fact the Taurus and Fiesta are toast......and they really don't have the money to do anything further with the Focus. (Also figure in the huge major lawsuits coming thanks to the DCT, which still sucks five years later)

They can still make money on the Fusion, so axing it might not be the best idea. They can slow it down a bit, but there is still going to be some demand for sedans....just not many.

2018 is going to be a very interesting year at Ford.....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The sedan marches slowly towards death. It will probably be a niche product like wagons and hatches in 10 years time. 

More like the rise of forced public transportation....sedans are still (somewhat) modestly priced. I am pretty sure the new prices on the new CUV/SUVs are going to be quite high....

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Honda, Nissan and Toyota all continue to build sedans in the US, successfully.  What's Ford's excuse?  

Ford Excuse? Easy, they did not use the bankrupt laws to unload debt and as such, they went the route of mortgaging the ranch, everyone of their kids and even the wife to begin with. They are in debt beyond their eyes.

Then they went the cheap route, killed off V8's for everything but the trucks and ignored EV auto and gave lip service to Hybrids.

As daves87rs states, if it was not for their trucks, Ford could we be a company that would be sold off in chunks as they are hurting with poor planning, ignoring the market and making some poor choices in what customers want.

That is how I see it and I am sticking with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Honda, Nissan and Toyota all continue to build sedans in the US, successfully.  What's Ford's excuse?  

Those three have a better reputation in people's mind in terms of quality. Also, I believe fleet sales (at least for Toyota and Nissan) play a key role. Not sure about Honda.

And if you're wondering about where the Fusion stacks up to the other three...

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 8.53.04 AM.png

Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/12/midsize-car-sales-america-november-2017/

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

More interesting is how much Ford is hurting right now....they are struggling hard with the line up they have now. If it wasn't for trucks, things might get real interesting...

I know for a fact the Taurus and Fiesta are toast......and they really don't have the money to do anything further with the Focus. (Also figure in the huge major lawsuits coming thanks to the DCT, which still sucks five years later)

They can still make money on the Fusion, so axing it might not be the best idea. They can slow it down a bit, but there is still going to be some demand for sedans....just not many.

2018 is going to be a very interesting year at Ford.....

...and there is that part of me that really does not like Ford and really does not mind watching them suffer.  Good riddance on the Fusion...

10 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I think Ford and Nissan have been big in fleeting, not sure about now.  I think Honda's fleet percentage is very small. 

Honda is indeed very small when it comes to fleeting.

14 minutes ago, William Maley said:

Those three have a better reputation in people's mind in terms of quality. Also, I believe fleet sales (at least for Toyota and Nissan) play a key role. Not sure about Honda.

And if you're wondering about where the Fusion stacks up to the other three...

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 8.53.04 AM.png

Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/12/midsize-car-sales-america-november-2017/

Reputation is deserved IMHO.

• Like 2

What are you guys smoking?

The Fusion is selling in not so bad numbers. 240 000 units

Its 4rth on that list year-to-date.

The Camry in #1.  350 000 units

Why?

1. Its a TOYOTA and its a CAMRY.  

2. Its NEW for this year. The Toyota faithful were waiting for it. 

3. Im not sure, but the CUV segment is HOT HOT HOT yet one of Toyota's CUVs aint doint that great. And logic and present trends state that it SHOULD be selling...    Am I right?

The Honda Accord is #2.  300 000 units

1. Its a HONDA....ACCORD.  The Camry and Accord have been #1 and #2 since like....sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the Ford Taurus gave up the title...when GM fused its Celebrity clones and its FWD W-Body together to be as of one and quality problems plagued the W-Body platform...and the Japanese dynamic duo NEVER looked backed...

The Altima is #3.  280 000 units.

1. I dont know why Altima is #3.  Discounts?   I dont see a whole lot of them in my neck of the woods.  I do see NEW Fusions (yes...NEW refreshed, less Aston Martin-like grill Fusions) and Accords on the streets...I dont see Camrys a whole lot either but Im sure they are a-plenty...

Who SHOULD be worried more about their mid-sized car offerings is GM and Hyundai Inc.

GM....the Malibu sold only 200 000 units. Its a car that is JUST a couple years old... 

Hyundai Sonata and KIA Optima  TOGETHER  beat Toyota Camry's numbers. So that is not THAT  bad of a scenario...

But as pointed out from Drew....the sedan is on the way out. ALL sedans sales are down...

OK...the Fusion is down -22%...I would think its about average....I havent done any math to prove what I just said...

The Malibu is down -17%....a tad better than the Fusion....but its ONLY SOLD 200 000 units....and GM THIS time around does NOT have any Pontiac 6000s and  FWD Grand Prix 4 doors and Chevy Celebritys and Oldsmobile Cutlass and  FWD Cutlass Supreme 4 doors and Buick Centuries and FWD 4 door Buick Regal badge engineered clones to fall back on the slow sales at one division...

The article states that earlier in the year...FoMoCo mentioned that the switch to CUVs and SUVs from car sedans will BE PERMANENT...

Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details.

I dont see what the big deal is other than SEDANS IN GENERAL ARE GOING AWAY...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

The article states that earlier in the year...FoMoCo mentioned that the switch to CUVs and SUVs from car sedans will BE PERMANENT...

I'm skeptical the shift will be permanent...but who knows..of course once self driving cars become mainstream, new car sales will drop off (since autonomous cars probably won't be for purchase).  But that will be a while..

• Like 2

Remeber when Chevy wanted to go trucks only back in around 2005?  Maybe Ford should go trucks and CUV/SUV only now.  Come to think of it, I am amazed that GM still has so many sedans (not as many as pre-BK) but is still doing well.  Not sure what to say for FORD to fix their own issues from a car standpoint.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm skeptical the shift will be permanent...but who knows..of course once self driving cars become mainstream, new car sales will drop off (since autonomous cars probably won't be for purchase).  But that will be a while..

True. 

I dont know how I wanna feel about the whole industry and trend going to CUVs. Ill just take that one day at a time, I guess. 

But going back to FoMoCo.

Maybe Ford does not want to deal with the lagging sedan sales trend and considers the billion dollar investment in a new platform to replace the Fusion to be a waste of time, energy and resources and just says...."phoque it! Let the others scrap it out!" 

I know that platforms today...CUVs and sedans...are interchangeable...but designing a new sedan from it is but a waste of time anyway...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

What are you guys smoking?

The Fusion is selling in not so bad numbers. 240 000 units

Its 4rth on that list year-to-date.

The Camry in #1.  350 000 units

Why?

1. Its a TOYOTA and its a CAMRY.  

2. Its NEW for this year. The Toyota faithful were waiting for it. 

3. Im not sure, but the CUV segment is HOT HOT HOT yet one of Toyota's CUVs aint doint that great. And logic and present trends state that it SHOULD be selling...    Am I right?

The Honda Accord is #2.  300 000 units

1. Its a HONDA....ACCORD.  The Camry and Accord have been #1 and #2 since like....sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the Ford Taurus gave up the title...when GM fused its Celebrity clones and its FWD W-Body together to be as of one and quality problems plagued the W-Body platform...and the Japanese dynamic duo NEVER looked backed...

The Altima is #3.  280 000 units.

1. I dont know why Altima is #3.  Discounts?   I dont see a whole lot of them in my neck of the woods.  I do see NEW Fusions (yes...NEW refreshed, less Aston Martin-like grill Fusions) and Accords on the streets...I dont see Camrys a whole lot either but Im sure they are a-plenty...

Who SHOULD be worried more about their mid-sized car offerings is GM and Hyundai Inc.

GM....the Malibu sold only 200 000 units. Its a car that is JUST a couple years old... 

Hyundai Sonata and KIA Optima  TOGETHER  beat Toyota Camry's numbers. So that is not THAT  bad of a scenario...

But as pointed out from Drew....the sedan is on the way out. ALL sedans sales are down...

OK...the Fusion is down -22%...I would think its about average....I havent done any math to prove what I just said...

The Malibu is down -17%....a tad better than the Fusion....but its ONLY SOLD 200 000 units....and GM THIS time around does NOT have any Pontiac 6000s and  FWD Grand Prix 4 doors and Chevy Celebritys and Oldsmobile Cutlass and  FWD Cutlass Supreme 4 doors and Buick Centuries and FWD 4 door Buick Regal badge engineered clones to fall back on the slow sales at one division...

I dont see what the big deal is other than SEDANS IN GENERAL ARE GOING AWAY...

Given that your wife's Fusion is the 1.6, we knew she must be looking elsewhere for thrust...that thing ahs to be a bit on the slow side...

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

Remeber when Chevy wanted to go trucks only back in around 2005?  Maybe Ford should go trucks and CUV/SUV only now.  Come to think of it, I am amazed that GM still has so many sedans (not as many as pre-BK) but is still doing well.  Not sure what to say for FORD to fix their own issues from a car standpoint.

Sedan sales at GM...

NOT DOING WELL...

Malibu. Not doing well.

Regal. Not doing well. (Maybe too soo for that one though. Next year we will see. The Regal is too new to tell...)

Impala. Its surviving.  Ill just chalk that up to....NOT DOING WELL.

Lacrosse. NOT DOING WELL.

ATS and CTS. NOT DOING WELL.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

They have been pretty much F series and Mustang since at least the seventies in terms of product that is market leading.

Even the hard core Ford skeptic in me loves the new Lincoln SUV lineup though.

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

Sedan sales at GM...

NOT DOING WELL...

Malibu. Not doing well.

Regal. Not doing well. (Maybe too soo for that one though. Next year we will see. The Regal is too new to tell...)

Impala. Its surviving.  Ill just chalk that up to....NOT DOING WELL.

Lacrosse. NOT DOING WELL.

ATS and CTS. NOT DOING WELL.

Domestic car industry still in some ways has not recovered from it's fall from grace in the eyes of consumers.  That and Hyundai/Kia/Nissan and the like quite happily sell cars with low interest rates to any buyer with a pulse. 

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Given that your wife's Fusion is the 1.6, we knew she must be looking elsewhere for thrust...that thing ahs to be a bit on the slow side...

She's got a battery powered...never mind. Different conversation all together. 

Seriously though. 

Its good enough for her. And it hasnt burned down yet.  With all the recalls that Ford fixed on it so far....its running pretty darned good...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Not sure what to say for FORD to fix their own issues from a car standpoint.

The angry skeptic in my says dynamite...

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

She's got a battery powered...never mind. Different conversation all together. 

Seriously though. 

Its good enough for her. And it hasnt burned down yet.  With all the recalls that Ford fixed on it so far....its running pretty darned good...

Good thing you have lovingly provided hybrid assistance.

...and yes the Fusion is a decent car....neighbors love theirs.

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The angry skeptic in my says dynamite...

Good thing you have lovingly provided hybrid assistance.

...and yes the Fusion is a decent car....neighbors love theirs.

Who said anything about me providing it?  She fell in love with that thing way before I was in the picture....:D

If a dog is a man's best friend...I sure as hell know diamonds are NOT a woman's best friend...:o

Alls I know is...we go through a LOT of batteries...

(This whole thing...is but a joke people...yet.. there are some elements to this that may be true...:rolleyes:)

The Fusion has been quite good to us too...so far. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

I've had a couple Fusions for rentals, very pleasant cars. If I were going to get a mainstream midsize sedan, I'd strongly consider the Fusion...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've had a couple Fusions for rentals, very pleasant cars. If I were going to get a mainstream midsize sedan, I'd strongly consider the Fusion...

That they are.

I myself, like to drive the Fusion from time to time. And I do. I take it on romps when I dont feel like being in the Acura. When I like to change scenery. Its THAT pleasant to drive and to be cocooned in. Its got a modern interior. It looks and feels good. 

Its got a great daily driver ride. 

There are no $50 000 CDN (Acura TLX segment) cars that I currently care for. Maybe the new Regal. I HATE THE ACURA TLX. 

If I was gonna plunk down money for a new car in 2018, the Regal or the Fusion Sport 2.7 ecoboost V6 would get my money. 

Ive heard that the Fusion Sport is anything but a sporty ride....ITS OK...I dont mind the way the Fusion drives in its base form. To add a 320-350 (whatever it is) horse V6 to that mix is more than welcomed) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Who said anything about me providing it?  She fell in love with that thing way before I was in the picture....:D

If a dog is a man's best friend...I sure as hell know diamonds are NOT a woman's best friend...:o

Alls I know is...we go through a LOT of batteries...

(This whole thing...is but a joke people...yet.. there are some elements to this that may be true...:rolleyes:)

The Fusion has been quite good to us too...so far. 

Another chapter in the humans replaced by machines saga...Fusion is quite a good car.

14 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That they are.

I myself, like to drive the Fusion from time to time. And I do. I take it on romps when I dont feel like being in the Acura. When I like to change scenery. Its THAT pleasant to drive and to be cocooned in. Its got a modern interior. It looks and feels good. 

Its got a great daily driver ride. 

There are no $50 000 CDN (Acura TLX segment) cars that I currently care for. Maybe the new Regal. I HATE THE ACURA TLX. 

If I was gonna plunk down money for a new car in 2018, the Regal or the Fusion Sport 2.7 ecoboost V6 would get my money. 

Ive heard that the Fusion Sport is anything but a sporty ride....ITS OK...I dont mind the way the Fusion drives in its base form. To add a 320-350 (whatever it is) horse V6 to that mix is more than welcomed) 

Were I to buy a sedanish car, CTS,  New Regal or LAX, or the new Stinger or something.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Hey...I forgot about the KIA Stinger.

Its quite the intriguing car...:scratchchin:

Yes, quite an interesting new entrant...I like the styling and that it's a hatchback.  I prefer hatches over trunks. 

• Upvote 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Ford has launched the configurator for the 2019 Ranger today and we got our first look at pricing. It will begin at $25,395 for the XL extended-cab model with 2WD - price includes $1,095 destination charge. Pricing for the rest of the lineup is as followed,
      $27,615 - XL SuperCrew 2WD $29,035 - XLT SuperCab 2WD $29,555 - XL SuperCab 4WD $31,210 - XLT SuperCrew 2WD $31,775 - XL SuperCrew 4WD $33,035 - XLT SuperCab 4WD $33,305 - Lariat SuperCab 2WD $35,210 - XLT SuperCrew 4WD $35,480 - Lariat SuperCrew 2WD $37,305 - Lariat SuperCab 4WD $39,480 - Lariat SuperCrew 4WD There are a number of options on offer such as appearance packages, spray-in bed liner, and 8-inch touchscreen with Sync3. Go crazy on the options, and you can have a Ranger that will cost you over $45,000. All Rangers come with a 2.3L EcoBoost four-cylinder paired up with a six-speed automatic.
      Compared to other models in the class, the Ranger has the highest base price. The Nissan Frontier is the cheapest at $19,965, followed by the Chevrolet Colorado ($21,590), GMC Canyon ($22,095), and Toyota Tacoma ($24,740).
      It still will be awhile before you can drive a Ranger off the dealer's lot as it will launch early next year.
      Source: Ford

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has launched the configurator for the 2019 Ranger today and we got our first look at pricing. It will begin at $25,395 for the XL extended-cab model with 2WD - price includes $1,095 destination charge. Pricing for the rest of the lineup is as followed,
      $27,615 - XL SuperCrew 2WD $29,035 - XLT SuperCab 2WD $29,555 - XL SuperCab 4WD $31,210 - XLT SuperCrew 2WD $31,775 - XL SuperCrew 4WD $33,035 - XLT SuperCab 4WD $33,305 - Lariat SuperCab 2WD $35,210 - XLT SuperCrew 4WD $35,480 - Lariat SuperCrew 2WD $37,305 - Lariat SuperCab 4WD $39,480 - Lariat SuperCrew 4WD There are a number of options on offer such as appearance packages, spray-in bed liner, and 8-inch touchscreen with Sync3. Go crazy on the options, and you can have a Ranger that will cost you over $45,000. All Rangers come with a 2.3L EcoBoost four-cylinder paired up with a six-speed automatic.
      Compared to other models in the class, the Ranger has the highest base price. The Nissan Frontier is the cheapest at $19,965, followed by the Chevrolet Colorado ($21,590), GMC Canyon ($22,095), and Toyota Tacoma ($24,740).
      It still will be awhile before you can drive a Ranger off the dealer's lot as it will launch early next year.
      Source: Ford
    • By William Maley
      The One Ford plan brought in by former CEO Alan Mulally helped the automaker weather through some very tough times. A key part of this plan was cutting back on the number of architectures used around the world - from 30 to nine. But Ford is planning to go further with reducing them.
      Last week, Ford's head of product development and purchasing, Hau Thai-Tang revealed the company will be reducing the number of platforms to just five.
      "This is not saying One Ford was wrong. This is building on the strategy of One Ford and evolving from it," said Thai-Tang at the 2018 J.P. Morgan Auto Conference in New York.
      The move to five platforms will help save costs: According to Thai-Tang, 70 percent of a vehicle's value can be managed through modular platforms. It will also improve the efficiency of Ford's suppliers.
      The five platforms are as followed:
      RWD/AWD Body-on-Frame FWD/AWD Unibody RWD/AWD Unibody Commercial Van Unibody Electric Vehicle Unibody Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The One Ford plan brought in by former CEO Alan Mulally helped the automaker weather through some very tough times. A key part of this plan was cutting back on the number of architectures used around the world - from 30 to nine. But Ford is planning to go further with reducing them.
      Last week, Ford's head of product development and purchasing, Hau Thai-Tang revealed the company will be reducing the number of platforms to just five.
      "This is not saying One Ford was wrong. This is building on the strategy of One Ford and evolving from it," said Thai-Tang at the 2018 J.P. Morgan Auto Conference in New York.
      The move to five platforms will help save costs: According to Thai-Tang, 70 percent of a vehicle's value can be managed through modular platforms. It will also improve the efficiency of Ford's suppliers.
      The five platforms are as followed:
      RWD/AWD Body-on-Frame FWD/AWD Unibody RWD/AWD Unibody Commercial Van Unibody Electric Vehicle Unibody Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      When General Motors decided to study the Ford F-150 to help make the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra, they sent engineers to the front door of where the F-150 is built. 
      According to Reuters, engineers went on a public factory tour of Ford's Dearborn truck plant to study how Ford was building them. Special attention was paid to workers attaching aluminum body panels to the trucks. After watching and timing the fitment of parts with stopwatches, GM engineers found some problems.
      “They had a real hard time getting those doors to fit,” said Tim Herrick, executive chief engineer for GM truck programs.
      Focusing on the doors, engineers bought F-150 doors as parts and took them apart. What they realized is that they could cut weight in their trucks with a combination of aluminum and thinner high strength steel for a lower cost. 
      GM could have gone all-aluminum with their trucks. Herrick said the debate at the company “was a really hotly contested item for us.” But at the end of the day, the decision to use mixed metals will allow for a larger profit on the trucks.
      “We think we have thousands of dollars advantage (over Ford) just in the aluminum costs. It’s big,” said Herrick.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs