William Maley

Cadillac News: 2019 Cadillac ATS To Only Be Offered As Coupe, CT6 to Drop 2.0T

16 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It was a victim of timing, and Cadillac's image.  Infiniti and Lexus have found some success w/ their compact luxury sports sedans and coupes in part because of their 'newness' as brands and their Japanese quality reputation.  Cadillac, for better or for worse, has a lot of history and a lot of baggage.  

So many people my age and younger still today seem to only think of Cadillac as grandpa cars or bling trucks  (Escalade).

I agree with the timing thing but in truth.. the Infiniti compact is more of a tweener.. ironically pulling a page from Cadillac's book when the introduced the successful first and second gen CTS. The ATS again.. should have taken the CTS moniker.. and been a few inches larger in the interior to accommodate FAT ASS Americans. The CTS??? Should have been STS. Simple as that.

Those calling for names have to realize that the company is now Global.. and Globally there is an idea that names are not desirable or always viable for luxury car brands. I disagree. I think if the effort is put into coming up with proper names there will be no issue. Going back to previous names would be a mistake tho. It rings old. Names LIKE.. El Miraj, Ciel, Cien, Provoq, Solitaire.. would be a strong marketing component. In fact.. I take back my comment about previous names.. as I would grab Catera and put it on a entry car no issue. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Yep, and naming the cars again too....

And in honesty, Caddy is never going to be able to beat the Gucci crowd because the other two simply win on image.

I know GM can do a bang up job when they want to.....but bringing back some hertiage might be a good idea....

They sure can pass those other two up. They just have to start with the small things. Start by making the most reliable vehicle, hands down. Do what Toyota and Honda have done and build a reputation for being indestructible. They can then go from there. They know how to make a car handle with the best, if not THE best. They have engines to hang with the best, albeit their middle tier isn't really the greatest in comparison but they're getting there with the 3.0TT. 

They have the money and resources to make the best interiors, they just haven't yet. If they're going to price their stuff along side the Germans they better do everything at the very least, as good as the Germans. 

Get rid of the old man XTS also. That rental car doesn't help their image at all. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The CT6 is a larger, roomier E-class competitor.   E-Class comes base with a 4-cylinder turbo. Case Closed.

I get what he's saying tho.. and actually agree. The CT6 should not have been considered a "larger, roomier EClass" while the CTS and XTS were around. The engine line-up really was a clear determinate of that.. not to mention the entry price.  The CT6, for what its worth.. is dropping that 2.0L for a reason. From what I get from two dealers is that the 2.0L is not even ordered unless someone brings a deposit for one. The only advantage it has is RWD only.. which is not really an advantage when one can get the rest of the line as AWD

IMO.. the 3.0L should have been the sole engine till the V8 arrived or the entry engine while an LT1 at 500HP or LT4 at 600 was an optional VSport or VSeries. It gives more credit to the car.. to have higher performing variants even if they are selling slower . (Keep in mind that 10% of all CTS sales were VSeries in 2016.. yet still that allowed them to sell more than the M5, E63AMG or RS7)

The XTS is focused at a very different customer... the ones who still long for the old DTS... and it is still one of the better selling Cadillacs.  There is no guarantee that those customers would move over to the more expensive CT6.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The XTS is focused at a very different customer... the ones who still long for the old DTS... and it is still one of the better selling Cadillacs.  There is no guarantee that those customers would move over to the more expensive CT6.

Sometimes.. that's what proper marketing is for. There is nothing about the XTS that is superior to the CT6. Nothing except that it has a more powerful Turbo V6 in the Vsport :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Offer a CT6 Brougham w/ white wall tires, chrome wheels, extra chrome and gold trim, padded top, bench seat and column shift and that may bring in the older customers...

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I agree with the timing thing but in truth.. the Infiniti compact is more of a tweener.. ironically pulling a page from Cadillac's book when the introduced the successful first and second gen CTS. The ATS again.. should have taken the CTS moniker.. and been a few inches larger in the interior to accommodate FAT ASS Americans. The CTS??? Should have been STS. Simple as that.

Those calling for names have to realize that the company is now Global.. and Globally there is an idea that names are not desirable or always viable for luxury car brands. I disagree. I think if the effort is put into coming up with proper names there will be no issue. Going back to previous names would be a mistake tho. It rings old. Names LIKE.. El Miraj, Ciel, Cien, Provoq, Solitaire.. would be a strong marketing component. In fact.. I take back my comment about previous names.. as I would grab Catera and put it on a entry car no issue. 

Agreed.  The names aren't the problem the cars are, or were in case of the 2000 Catera.  I actually think if you had 2 identical cars, one named CT4 and one named Catera, the Catera would sell better.

Look around global luxury, Phantom, Ghost, Aventador, Hurcan, Panamera, Cayenne, Bentayga, Urus, Vantage, Rapide, Ghibli, Stelvio, just to name a few.  Loads of names on global luxury cars.

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I get what he's saying tho.. and actually agree. The CT6 should not have been considered a "larger, roomier EClass" while the CTS and XTS were around. The engine line-up really was a clear determinate of that.. not to mention the entry price.  The CT6, for what its worth.. is dropping that 2.0L for a reason. From what I get from two dealers is that the 2.0L is not even ordered unless someone brings a deposit for one. The only advantage it has is RWD only.. which is not really an advantage when one can get the rest of the line as AWD

IMO.. the 3.0L should have been the sole engine till the V8 arrived or the entry engine while an LT1 at 500HP or LT4 at 600 was an optional VSport or VSeries. It gives more credit to the car.. to have higher performing variants even if they are selling slower . (Keep in mind that 10% of all CTS sales were VSeries in 2016.. yet still that allowed them to sell more than the M5, E63AMG or RS7)

Yes, the problem with CT6 to E-class comparison is there is no 600 hp CT6, and why is Cadillac trying to build a full size car at E-class prices when the CTS isn't a mid-size car for 3-series prices at $36k.   The CT6 coming out at $56k immediately was Cadillac admitting that their full size car wasn't as good as a Lexus LS, 7-series, A8 or S-class.   And then they got 3 sedans within $10k price of each other which is pointless.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:55 AM, ccap41 said:

No waaaaaay none of those offer chrome wheels from the factory, chrome door handles, chrome mirror covers... 

The Escalade is definitely blingy. 

I saw a bone stock blinged out Escalade today. Chrome wheels, chrome grille, chrome door handles.. all stock. 

25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I saw a bone stock blinged out Escalade today. Chrome wheels, chrome grille, chrome door handles.. all stock. 

Yes, that's the standard config.  The Yukon Denali is similar, maybe a bit less chrome.   I think they aren't bad in stock form--like the stock chrome w/ dark brown or dark red paint, for example... but so many get tastelessly tricked out with oversized ugly aftermarket wheels, additional chrome added, etc.    

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yes, that's the standard config.  The Yukon Denali is similar, maybe a bit less chrome.   I think they aren't bad in stock form--like the stock chrome w/ dark brown or dark red paint, for example... but so many get tastelessly tricked out with oversized ugly aftermarket wheels, additional chrome added, etc.    

The door handles throw it way over the top. The grille and wheels isn't terrible.

Oh, I also cannot stand the mirror covers that come stock on some of those GMs. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The door handles throw it way over the top. The grille and wheels isn't terrible.

My Jeep has the chrome door handles and mirror covers, I like the contrast with the black metallic paint.  I like when there are lots of choices available in vehicles, some models have trim levels where everything is body color or blacked out for those who like that look. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

While I agree.  U can't hold Cadillac responsible for aftermarket stuff that customer want. Same thing goes on Range Rover. That thing that Infiniti puts out is a whole nother kind of Stock monstrosity 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Chrome mirror covers aren't stock... and in all likelihood neither are chrome door handles if it was a current model.  The Escalade comes with illuminated door handles with satin metal surround.

post-106076-0-11887500-1493772102.jpg

The GLS merely has glued in chrome inserts though...

2017-mercedes-benz-gls-450-base-suv-door-handle.png

This is a base 2017 GLS450

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

While I agree.  U can't hold Cadillac responsible for aftermarket stuff that customer want. Same thing goes on Range Rover. That thing that Infiniti puts out is a whole nother kind of Stock monstrosity 

The QX56/QX80 is an odd looking beastie.. my next door neighbor in Phoenix from '11-15 had a maroon QX56, then briefly an Escalade, then a black QX80 the last two years..

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Chrome mirror covers aren't stock... and in all likelihood neither are chrome door handles if it was a current model.  The Escalade comes with illuminated door handles with satin metal surround.

post-106076-0-11887500-1493772102.jpg

The GLS merely has glued in chrome inserts though...

2017-mercedes-benz-gls-450-base-suv-door-handle.png

This is a base 2017 GLS450

This is close enough to call it a chrome mirror.. This was what I saw the other day. It wasn't the ESV but chrome pieces everywhere. 

I dig the new illuminated handles! And, that GLS handle doesn't look like chrome but satin like the new Escalade handle. 

Cadillac Mirrors.png

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Infiniti QX80 got substantially more handsome for the 2018 refresh.

large.5a3159f38a36a_2018InfinitiQX80-6.jpg

F*****G chrome mirrors. :angry:

21 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My Jeep has the chrome door handles and mirror covers, I like the contrast with the black metallic paint.  I like when there are lots of choices available in vehicles, some models have trim levels where everything is body color or blacked out for those who like that look. 

Personally, I hate those. Body color all day, every day. 

Black is good as long as it is painted black and not just unpainted plastic. 

Chrome just looks so cheap to me. Granted, when they're kept minty clean they don't look terrible but more often than not they just look like dirty mirrors. 

Edited by ccap41

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is close enough to call it a chrome mirror.. This was what I saw the other day. It wasn't the ESV but chrome pieces everywhere. 

I dig the new illuminated handles! And, that GLS handle doesn't look like chrome but satin like the new Escalade handle. 

F*****G chrome mirrors. :angry:

Personally, I hate those. Body color all day, every day. 

Black is good as long as it is painted black and not just unpainted plastic. 

Chrome just looks so cheap to me. Granted, when they're kept minty clean they don't look terrible but more often than not they just look like dirty mirrors. 

Black trim screams cheap to me.. like something on a basic work truck trim.   Body color trim is too much of an '80s-90s cliche to me, back when monochrome trim was a trendy look.   For me, chrome (in limited amounts) is classic and tasteful.  I prefer polished aluminum look wheels over chrome wheels.   And I find the appearance of carbon fibre the ultimate in hideousness...

Well that's the old Escalade, but yea, when that came out, bling was in, as were fender vents.  Keep in mind that Escalade is rather restrained compared to the prior one.

You weren't here at the time but when this Navigator came out, we and a few other sites made such a stink about the nose that it ended up being released with the ability to delete the chrome upper lip.

2008_lincoln_navigator_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

That Navigator front was pretty ghastly.. there is one Lincoln CUV/SUV front I liked from around 2010, but can't recall which model it was.

Edit: 2009ish MKX...I like that front end. 

33450404-2-1333-OVR-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That Navigator front was pretty ghastly.. there is one Lincoln CUV/SUV front I liked from around 2010, but can't recall which model it was.

MKX?  That's the one I liked from that era.

2010-lincoln-mkx-photo-293458-s-1280x782.jpg

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well that's the old Escalade, but yea, when that came out, bling was in, as were fender vents.  Keep in mind that Escalade is rather restrained compared to the prior one.

You weren't here at the time but when this Navigator came out, we and a few other sites made such a stink about the nose that it ended up being released with the ability to delete the chrome upper lip.

2008_lincoln_navigator_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

Yeah, I'm not saying this is any better. That looks like sh!t too. 

The Escalade just screams blingy to me though. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Cadillac Mirrors.png

Just so you know that was last generation not current and I agree, I was not a fan of this generation of Escalade.

Today's current 2018 Escalade is way better:

2018-cadillac-escalade-esv-reviews-first-drive.jpg

• Like 1