Detroit Preview: 2018 BMW X2: Comments

BMW released the details and pictures of the 2018 BMW X2 back in October, but the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit is where the official world debut will happen. 

The 2018 BMW X2 (officially named X2 xDrive28i) is a sportier take on the company's existing X1 crossover.  Unlike the X3/X4 and X5/X6 pairs, the X2 does not get a more coupe-like profile, keeping things more upright like a standard crossover.  Ostensibly, this is to keep headroom usable on an already snug vehicle, overall however, the X2 roof is 2.8 inches lower and 3.2 inches shorter than the X1.

The X2 is powered by an updated version of BMW's 228 horsepower 2.0 liter 4-cylinder. It is capable of 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 - 4,500 rpm. Power is routed to all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic. No manual transmission is being offered at this time.  The all-wheel drive system runs in front-wheel drive mode most of the time. When slip is detected an electronic clutch engages the rear wheels. 

Along with the X1, the BMW X2 shares a platform with the BMW 1-series sold only in China and 2-series sold in Europe, and the Mini Countryman and Clubman. 

The 2018 X2 xDrive28i will arrive in dealerships in spring of 2018.  The official unveil is scheduled for 9:35 am on January 15th at Cobo Center, Detroit.

Click here to follow all 2018 Detroit Auto Show News.

Click here to follow BMW News.

View full article

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is pretty random of myself but lately I've been wanting an X1 xDrive35i and to lower it. It would basically be a hot hatch with 300hp and AWD working on the last great 3 Series chassis, E90. 

Or you could just save yourself some time and get this lil dune-buggy.

• Haha 2

Yeahhhh.. but it's a tiny CUV which is just odd to me. I either want car-like or at least a little larger CUV. X1's are small. Something even smaller than that is ridiculous. 

This all came to mind two weeks ago when an X1 passed me on the interstate and I was amazed at how tall it WASN'T. Then I looked them up and it is only 3 inches taller than my Focus hatch. So if I lowered it a bit.. boom, hot hatch! It'd be a tad larger, more power, great chassis.. but they weigh like 3900lbs LOL. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yeahhhh.. but it's a tiny CUV which is just odd to me. I either want car-like or at least a little larger CUV. X1's are small. Something even smaller than that is ridiculous. 

This all came to mind two weeks ago when an X1 passed me on the interstate and I was amazed at how tall it WASN'T. Then I looked them up and it is only 3 inches taller than my Focus hatch. So if I lowered it a bit.. boom, hot hatch! It'd be a tad larger, more power, great chassis.. but they weigh like 3900lbs LOL. 

Wow! That's like AWD V6 Buick Lacrosse heavy!

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Far better than the X1 and I applaud them for not going the Crappy Coupe style. Still very blah to me.

They got the shape right for a turd, and are not far off on the color.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

This is pretty random of myself but lately I've been wanting an X1 xDrive35i and to lower it. It would basically be a hot hatch with 300hp and AWD working on the last great 3 Series chassis, E90. 

You can be forgiven for this...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I still don't get the point of this car, other than the fact that they have X1 and X3 through X7 and had a hole to fill.  An X1 with a lower roof?  why?

To match the GLA.  It will sell.. crossovers are hot, everyone is adding more.  

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

To match the GLA.  It will sell.. crossovers are hot, everyone is adding more.  

But they have an X1 to do that.  They need 2 products to compete with the GLA?  Plus the X2 is $5k more than a GLA, what a ripoff that is.

The X1 and GLA are $500 apart in base price and base price with all wheel drive.  Direct competition.  The X2 is the answer to a question no one asked.  This is as bad as the 4-Series 4 door coupe which was just a 3-Series sedan with a 1 inch wider track.  No wonder Mercedes beats them all the time.

42 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol I don't think Mercedes bench marked Cadillac interiors.. 

'50s, '60s, and '70s they did... then they stuck with those right up until the mid-late 80 when Cadillac started to falter (or 2017 if you count the G-Class)

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

'50s, '60s, and '70s they did... then they stuck with those right up until the mid-late 80 when Cadillac started to falter (or 2017 if you count the G-Class)

That's 30 ears ago. I'd wager there's <1% of workers at either company that's been with them since the 80's. 

Nobody working at Mercedes is bench marking a Cadillac interior right now or the last 15 years, minimum. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

That's 30 ears ago. I'd wager there's <1% of workers at either company that's been with them since the 80's. 

Nobody working at Mercedes is bench marking a Cadillac interior right now or the last 15 years, minimum. 

@balthazar didn't qualify his statement with a timeframe... only that Mercedes had benchmarked Cadillac in the past for interiors and BMW for handling.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well why would we go from talking about a 2018 BMW to referencing 1980's Cadillac interiors? Explain the logic behind that, please. 

Unless it is simply to troll smk, it doesn't make any sense. 

I think you have your answer then....

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Careful now... you don't tolerate deliberate trolling.. ;) :roflmao:

Sure I do.  I have a pretty light hand when it comes to it as long as it is car related.   Otherwise, SMK would have been gone a long time ago since his primary MO is to troll Cadillac threads.   It's when it gets personal that I have to step in.

The rules here are pretty simple... talk about cars not people. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, smk4565 said:

How could Mercedes benchmark Cadillac or BMW when Mercedes invented the car in the first place? :D

:nono: You know we have already debunked that Myth. They did not invent the car.

• Agree 2

On 12/19/2017 at 1:31 PM, ccap41 said:

I once thought about this. The tech/infotainment is just too far behind for me to actually do it now, though.

MISCONCEPTIONS GALORE....

Carl Benz...SOLD (one aspect of the misconception part) the first INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE (the second aspect) car. 

https://www.daimler.com/company/tradition/company-history/1885-1886.html

On January 29, 1886, Carl Benz applied for a patent for his “vehicle powered by a gas engine.” The patent – number 37435 – may be regarded as the birth certificate of the automobile. In July 1886 the newspapers reported on the first public outing of the three-wheeled Benz Patent Motor Car, model no. 1.

There were MANY MANY other "automobiles" that were running around in Europe and in the United States of America waaaaay before 1886. Those automobiles were powered by STEAM engines and ELECTRIC motors...

The first GASOLINE powered automobile was sold by Benz...

Not that Benz INVENTED the automobile...

2 different things entirely...

On 12/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, ccap41 said:

Yeah.. that part sucks because its basically an E90, which is awesome, but you lose a lot of the newer technology. 

Yeah, even though I adored my E90, it's moment is passed. I don't know that I'd have another for a daily due to the age and mileage of the cars these days. It was great while it lasted. Sounds like the Giulia is the car to buy these days if you want anything with the kind of chops the E90 had.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 7:31 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

Yeah, even though I adored my E90, it's moment is passed. I don't know that I'd have another for a daily due to the age and mileage of the cars these days. It was great while it lasted. Sounds like the Giulia is the car to buy these days if you want anything with the kind of chops the E90 had.

Always go for a new Apple Play / Android Auto Head unit and still get the car you really like.