William Maley

Ford News: Ford Cans Plans for Fusion Redesign

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Nissan Altima: Hey, at least it's not a Galant.

Nissan: If we can't qualify you for a loan, go see Mitsubishi

SSSOOOOO much truth here.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

SSSOOOOO much truth here.

When you will take donated plasma for payment....your Nissan....

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Unless they're changing it to Taurus, that would almost be worse. The Fusion had good brand recognition and respect.

Could be that they think the Focus could be a compact to mid size car global brand? This would give you Mustang and then the rest covered by a focus family. :scratchchin:

As for the topic at hand, I feel like this is poor product planning and market strategy on Ford's part. The Fusion is competitive in its segment, and not updating it is an oversight. 

The Taurus?? That thing needed killing off years ago. But the Fusion isn't to the point where it's a has-been or obsolete. 

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Could be that they think the Focus could be a compact to mid size car global brand? This would give you Mustang and then the rest covered by a focus family. :scratchchin:

The Focus has been their C-segment global car brand for almost 20 years, the Mondeo has been the midsize D-segment one for even longer...

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

As for the topic at hand, I feel like this is poor product planning and market strategy on Ford's part. The Fusion is competitive in its segment, and not updating it is an oversight. 

The Taurus?? That thing needed killing off years ago. But the Fusion isn't to the point where it's a has-been or obsolete. 

the Taurus is still around for police fleet use..it could be like the Crown Vic and go on for another decade without changes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The Taurus should live on with the Fusion platform instead like they are doing in China - 2016 Ford Taurus China and make it a police interceptor and full size family car with that. 

Or heck, give it a 1 inch lift, a hatchback, and some gray body cladding and call it a Taurus X.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

the Taurus is still around for police fleet use..it could be like the Crown Vic and go on for another decade without changes.

I could see that....

Ecosport

Escape

Edge

Explorer

Expedition

Expedition Max

That's a pretty thorough covering of the CUV/SUV market.  Plus the Bronco is coming back.  If indeed the Explorer goes back to authentic RWD/4WD, then where does that leave the Bronco?  Hopefully it leaves the Bronco with the space to offer a two-door bodystyle, which to a lot of expectant customers is only natural per Ford Bronco history.

• Upvote 2

Hadn't heard anything previously  about the Explorer going RWD, but it's currently on an old platform (same as the Taurus, once shared with Volvo?)    From what we've heard, the Bronco will be on the Ranger truck platform.     So the Bronco will kind of be what the Explorer once was--a BOF midsize SUV.

So maybe their will be two variations of a BOF midsize SUV--the regular SUV version--the Explorer--and the beefed up off-road capable version--the Bronco?   Each with different styling, etc.   I could see a new Explorer being very similar to the Endeavour/Everest which is currently on the Ranger platform in Australia and Asia. The Everest is a sharp midsize SUV..looks better than the Explorer, IMO.

2017-Ford-Everest-Trend-RWD-SUV-red-Tim-Robson-1200x800-(15).jpg

2017-Ford-Everest-Ti-Tim-Robson (2).jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Upvote 1

The Everest isn't nearly as big as the Explorer, it's more Edge in terms of size.

The Explorer was caught testing a few days ago.  It's big and RWD. 

26169343_10105496903348563_6838546779985209310_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Everest is narrower (Asian market requirement) than the Edge, yet longer than the Edge.  Interesting...new platform for the Explorer?   Wonder if it's going to be BOF or a new unibody platform. 

I like that idea of the Taurus X...like the Volvo XC sedan variation or a Subaru.  Maybe the Mustang will eventually offer an AWD version with some cladding and be called Mustang X to fit into the new reality...

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Everest isn't nearly as big as the Explorer, it's more Edge in terms of size.

The Explorer was caught testing a few days ago.  It's big and RWD. 

26169343_10105496903348563_6838546779985209310_n.jpg

I saw that!  Was funny too because it had so many cars following it too....:lol:

Poor guy might have felt like OJ.....:P

Wonder if they are going with a retro style...with that rear it reminds me of the generation from '02-08ish..

2002_ford_explorer_4dr-suv_limited_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Wonder if they are going with a retro style...with that rear it reminds me of the generation from '02-08ish..

2002_ford_explorer_4dr-suv_limited_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

Feel like the tail lights running farther in though....or it could be my eyes....

Think about what the Lincoln version's tail lights might look like, consider that the Explorer would likely have a similar shape.

and on that note.... this thing as a Lincoln will make a very handsome Aviator with that profile. Almost Land Roveresque...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Think about what the Lincoln version's tail lights might look like, consider that the Explorer would likely have a similar shape.

and on that note.... this thing as a Lincoln will make a very handsome Aviator with that profile. Almost Land Roveresque...

True, and very true!

As much as I'm looking forward to the rwd Explorer, I feel like it could step on the Expeditions toes a little too much.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

As much as I'm looking forward to the rwd Explorer, I feel like it could step on the Expeditions toes a little too much.

Well, the old Explorers were RWD.  Kind of surprised to see them going back..hadn't heard anything about this except in this thread.  Anyone have any more intel?   A new unibody platform ala Jeep, a new dedicated BOF platform, or based on the upcoming Ranger? 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Well, the old Explorers were RWD.  Kind of surprised to see them going back..hadn't heard anything about this except in this thread.  Anyone have any more intel?   A new unibody platform ala Jeep, a new dedicated BOF platform, or based on the upcoming Ranger? 

I'm assuming this is still the case, but it's called the CD6 or D6 platform and can be FWD or RWD.  It's unibody and will be used for midsize and fullsize products.   

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Been hearing that as well....it does make sense if they plan to keep using them for police duty.....

Not even the new autonomous vehicle will be a Fusion badged vehicle.

What's worst is that when Mullaly presented the new Fusion in 2012 as the rejuvenation of Ford's ability to make competitive cars - the Focus had just been redone the previous year, and the Escape soon followed. They gloated how they would refresh cars every 3 years, and have a 6 year product cycle.

Ford couldn't manage any of their PAG brands that had sedans, couldn't capitalize on Land Rover- which BTW is what now pays for the existence of TATA Motors....

I hate to say this, but I have become convinced through the lacklustre ability of Ford to actually sell competitive cars.. over the long haul... there's an old fellow somewhere outwest in Alberta, and I will say he has been vindicated entirely when it pertains to Ford's passenger sedans....

Again, I don't see an issue with Ford's handling of the Fusion.  They're in 3rd place behind the Accord and Camry. Anyone besides Honda and Toyota would love to be in that position.  

If Ford is having difficulty making money at 200k cars a year in the US on car and platform sold globally, the car isn't the problem.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Again, I don't see an issue with Ford's handling of the Fusion.  They're in 3rd place behind the Accord and Camry. Anyone besides Honda and Toyota would love to be in that position.  

If Ford is having difficulty making money at 200k cars a year in the US on car and platform sold globally, the car isn't the problem.

At the same time, as someone who does not like Ford...they can cancel it all they want to.  I will happily watch other car makers take that slice of the pie.