Detroit Preview: Mercedes-Benz Spills Some Details On 2019 G-Class Off-Road Ability: Comments

29 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Well, the G has been totally redesigned for the 2019 model year, as is the subject of this thread.  It should do well with it's retro styling...

But that is the point Balthazar and I are trying to make, the underside might be modern according to MB, but the look is severely dated and while they sell them at an overflated price for what you get IMHO, they could probably increase sales greatly if they used the GLG style of body as the new G-Wagon scaled to be larger.

MB is missing a bigger sales potential by sticking with already built stamping in building and selling the G-Wagon.

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But that is the point Balthazar and I are trying to make, the underside might be modern according to MB, but the look is severely dated and while they sell them at an overflated price for what you get IMHO, they could probably increase sales greatly if they used the GLG style of body as the new G-Wagon scaled to be larger.

MB is missing a bigger sales potential by sticking with already built stamping in building and selling the G-Wagon.

I think MB knows what they are doing..  sales volume isn't the measure for a luxury product.. exclusivity and uniqueness is... It sells more than enough, and the look is totally unique.   And again, what part of 'all new' are you missing?  It's not 'already built stamping', but intentionally styled to resemble the previous model...like the Jeep Wrangler was totally redesigned recently, yet keeps a strong resemblance to past versions.

And besides, they have more 'modern' mainstream luxury SUVs for the volume..the GLE and GLS, and a Maybach version of the GLS is coming supposedly... 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

The "all new" part that's missing is the part where it LOOKS remotely 'all new'.
Wrangler isn't an uber-expensive brand flagship and doesn't pretend to be, yet is still has some features more modern than the G-vagun. G-vagun should represent the pinnacle of brand product development, yet it represents the absolute antithesis of that.

Imagine if the Escalade was "all new" yet looked basically indistinguishable from the '99 in 2018. Because.

Then you're still missing my point.

It's way out of line with the face/message of the rest of the brand.  It's like a weird adopted cousin with a wandering eye or something.  I'd be OK with it if it were priced under the GLS.  Which, BTW, as the 'G' version of the 'S', should be the flagship SUV. It's just out of whack when Daimler recently realigned everything to "make more sense", and I find myself highly confoosled, as no doubt many others are also.  Highly.

And smk has stressed it's the s-class that's the flagship, meanwhile ignoring the maybach and that the g-vagun is priced higher than the S-sedan, both highly significant factoids to our hardcore MB fanboi.  I'm sure he knows best- just as he does for all GM's doings.  I just don't happen to agree with him on this one.

:)

• Agree 1

Your 'point' is invalid.  It works for M-B..they know what they are doing.  It will sell as much as it needs to sell.   Your comment about it being 'out of line' with M-B styling, well, I thought you were against brand conformity--i.e. the 'different lengths of sausage' approach the German car makers usually follow with their sedans--you always slag on that.

Nothing wrong with having a model or two in the lineup that goes it's own, distinct way...the Wrangler doesn't have much in common styling-wise with other Jeeps, neither does the Corvette--it doesn't share styling with the Silverado or Impala.   And both are considered iconic, as is the G.   And the price point is irrelevant for such models.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Reread my previous post, the G wagon's style is part of it's cachet.  It wouldn't work if it looked like other luxury SUVs.  And it's not their flagship; that's the S class Maybach. 

Cubical I get the point that for a CAR, the S-Class Maybach is their top of the line. 

For SUV, that is their G-Wagon which for all of 2017 sold 4,188 units.

I believe if they had a more modern version like the GLG I have posted pictures of that might or might not come out in 2019 as a saleable product but had the G wagon concept front end, it could probably sell 10-20,000 units as their top end SUV.

MB might be thinking Retro, but that part has played out in today's society and I think this new with OLD SKIN G-Wagon will see sales diminish not rise.

Just as Cadillac has the Escalade as their top end SUV/CUV and currently the CT6, MB has the G-Wagon and S-Class covering those and in that regards I question MB mgmt. decision about keeping the old body style.

I also think Cadillac is missing the boat by not offering a V edition Escalade as well as a V Sport edition just like they do on the cars.

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's not a volume model, it's a niche model. The Maybach version of the next gen GLS will serve as the biggest luxo SUV.

I understand Niche Model, but they are clearly leaving money on the table I believe.

2017 sales based on most common pricing online.

Take G-Wagon

4,188 sold * $120,000 = $502,560,000

Take Escalade

Standard 22,994 * $85,000 = $1,954,490,000

ESV 14,700 * $90,000 = $1,323,000,000

Total Sales of Escalade = $3,277,490,000

So 3.2 billion in sales or 502 million in sales. Which would you want?

I don't M-B is worried about sales numbers for the G.   It's more about exclusivity and rarity than volume.   Besides, the GLS sold 32k in the US last year..so there is the volume luxury sales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

But you get the sentiment being expressed here, yes? That the G desperately needs a redesign to bring it into the current century? Designs can be scaled easily- not a major hurdle.

Do you feel the same way about the Wrangler? 

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Luckily, Mercedes has like 5 or so other SUVs to choose from. 

The G Wagen’s sales has been going up consistently the last 5 or so years. People who have the money for one love them even when they still had the sketchy interior and everything. 

Edited by ccap41

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

The "all new" part that's missing is the part where it LOOKS remotely 'all new'.
Wrangler isn't an uber-expensive brand flagship and doesn't pretend to be, yet is still has some features more modern than the G-vagun. G-vagun should represent the pinnacle of brand product development, yet it represents the absolute antithesis of that.

Imagine if the Escalade was "all new" yet looked basically indistinguishable from the '99 in 2018. Because.

The Escalade also doesn’t have anything unique about it like being the best handling or performing SUV whereas the G is known for being a beast off road like a Range Rover. 

There’s no reason to change what isn’t broken. 

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Do you feel the same way about the Wrangler?

I answered that on the 3rd post of this page.

Luckily, Mercedes has like 5 or so other SUVs to choose from. 

I don't think MB buyers are cross-shopping the GLA or GLC or GLE (I assume these are all actual models) with the G550. Shouldn't those who spend the most, at a staggering margin, be rewarded with the best the brand can offer?

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

I believe if they had a more modern version like the GLG I have posted pictures of that might or might not come out in 2019 as a saleable product but had the G wagon concept front end, it could probably sell 10-20,000 units as their top end SUV.

Is there any $120,000 starting msrp vehicle selling 20,000 units a year? 

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

I understand Niche Model, but they are clearly leaving money on the table I believe.

2017 sales based on most common pricing online.

Take G-Wagon

4,188 sold * $120,000 = $502,560,000

Take Escalade

Standard 22,994 * $85,000 = $1,954,490,000

ESV 14,700 * $90,000 = $1,323,000,000

Total Sales of Escalade = $3,277,490,000

So 3.2 billion in sales or 502 million in sales. Which would you want?

But this is 40 years old so 99% of that 502m is profit. Right? *sarcasm* 

Remember, they have the GLS also. And GLE, GLC, GLA(and the hideous coupes). Cadillac doesn’t have a vehicle to lineup to all of those so it’s kind of a ridiculous comparison. If anybody is leaving sales on the table it’s Cadillac by a landslide. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I answered that on the 3rd post of this page.

I don't think MB buyers are cross-shopping the GLA or GLC or GLE (I assume these are all actual models) with the G550. Shouldn't those who spend the most, at a staggering margin, be rewarded with the best the brand can offer?

You guys are comparing Escalade to G Wagen. The real competitor is the GLS. Which sells plenty, 32,000 units. The G is it’s own thing. Changing to look closer to something they already have makes zero sense. 

What features does a Wrangler have that a G Wagen doesn’t? 4 cylinder engine? Removable top? 

I find it ironic that one brand can keep their vehicle looking the same for 40 years but another can’t, all because one is a “flagship” and one isn’t.