GM News: GM Plans On Building More Crew Cab Models Of 2019 Trucks

When the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra begin rolling off the assembly line sometime later this year, there will be a larger number of crew cabs.

GM's vice president of global product development, Mark Reuss tells Automotive News that the company has been "constrained' when it comes to the output of their crew cab pickups, a segment that has seen its popularity increase in recent years. Reuss said the company is planning to increase capacity for crew cabs with their next-generation pickups.

A Chevrolet spokesman said that crew cabs have grown from more than 50 percent of GM's truck sales in 2013 to more than 60 percent.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Surprised the percentage is so low... maybe there are regional variations, but I ever see usually are crew cabs. 

I was thinking the same thing. I almost never see regular cab trucks that aren't utility or maintenance trucks of some kind. I would have guessed it would closer to 80/20 split. 

Just now, Scout said:

I was thinking the same thing. I almost never see regular cab trucks that aren't utility or maintenance trucks of some kind. I would have guessed it would closer to 80/20 split. 

Yeah, out here in the burbs civilian use ones seem to all be crew cabs.  And in Phoenix, they all seemed to be 4WD crew cabs...

1 hour ago, Scout said:

I'd agree but I think the 80/20 would include both Crew Cab and Double Cab. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, out here in the burbs civilian use ones seem to all be crew cabs.  And in Phoenix, they all seemed to be 4WD crew cabs...

It's easy to mix Crew Cab and Double Cab from Chevy and Ram because they have four doors opening up "regularly" where Ford's middle cab configuration doesn't have exposed door handles and are more of a "suicide door" style.

Crew Cab is a Double Cab.  Maybe you are thinking Extended Cab?   (double cab is more of an EU/Asia market term, meaning what we call a Crew Cab).

Since GM and Ram have normal doors on their extended cabs, I'm not sure the point of having an extended cab anymore, since the only difference between it and a crew cab is the length, rear doors, and rear leg room.  Why not just offer a regular cab and a crew cab and cut out the middle version?   Not sure of the value of the middle version.

4dr trucks--whether Extended Cab or Crew Cab, far outsell regular cabs.   BTW, remember when Ford's regular cabs even had little rear opening extended cab style doors? 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

:butthead:

Weird, but all my searches for a Coupe Crew Cab Pickup keeps bringing me to these type of trucks. Anything but a Coupe Style I think, but still a cool old Ford Pickup that should be restored into a Rat rod or performance cool truck.

#1old-pickup-trucks-ford-trucks.jpg

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Weird, but all my searches for a Coupe Crew Cab Pickup keeps bringing me to these type of trucks. Anything but a Coupe Style I think, but still a cool old Ford Pickup that should be restored into a Rat rod or performance cool truck.

Interesting...wonder what the story is with that.. a Ford F1 extended cab??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Crew Cab is a Double Cab.  Maybe you are thinking Extended Cab?   (double cab is more of an EU/Asia market term, meaning what we call a Crew Cab).

4dr trucks--whether Extended Cab or Crew Cab, far outsell regular cabs.   BTW, remember when Ford's regular cabs even had little rear opening extended cab style doors? 

image.jpeg.16c422bce9b4ee2a2068bba246ee857d.jpeg2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab

• Thanks 2

@balthazar Please confirm or correct me but it seems 1936 built by Chevy Coupe Pickups?

ChevyCoupePickup.jpg

Cool found a 1937 Terraplane Hudson Coupe Pickup.

1937TerraplaneHudsonCoupePickup.jpg

I can now see a Nod to the Past in building a CUV Pickup. Very cool! :metal: 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado has changed their naming from the "Extended Cab" to a "Double Cab." The double car is slightly smaller than the Crew Cab and this affect ordering car windows for the rear driver and passenger's doors.

Wow..that's f*ked up... and Ram calls theirs a Quad Cab....and doesn't Ford call their extended cab a Super Cab and the crew cab a Super Crew?   Need standardized terminology for the body styles. 

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@balthazar Please confirm or correct me but it seems 1936 built by Chevy Coupe Pickups?

ChevyCoupePickup.jpg

Cool found a 1937 Terraplane Hudson Coupe Pickup

1937TerraplaneHudsonCoupePickup.jpg

I can now see a Node to the Past in building a CUV Pickup. Very cool! :metal: 

The Terrorplane looks like an Australian Ute..which were called Coupe Pickups also, I think..car body with a bed, kind of the precursor to El Caminos and Rancheros.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

20 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

Your forgetting about the Double cab. 

No, I'm aware of the different configurations. The article says they will be building more crew cabs. I was  surprised the "crew cab" was only 60 percent of sales. I really would have expected it to be more. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

They're different. They have 3 different cabs on Silverados and F150's. Ram has a 4th, Mega Cab. 

2018 Silverado.PNG

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That's actually super cool looking but it doesn't look like what I would imagine a 4 door coupe truck would look like in 2018..which would be crap. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

They're different. They have 3 different cabs on Silverados and F150's. Ram has a 4th, Mega Cab. 

As was brought up in Chris J's post, GM is now calling their extended cabs double cabs.  Which is odd, since Double Cab was always synonymous with Crew Cab in my understanding.  Problem is everyone uses a different term for an extended cab---Super Cab, Quad Cab, etc.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado has changed their naming from the "Extended Cab" to a "Double Cab." The double car is slightly smaller than the Crew Cab and this affect ordering car windows for the rear driver and passenger's doors.

image.jpeg

I think they changed the name because they stopped the front opening rear doors. They wanted to make sure customers weren't confused with the old truck. 

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

As was brought up in Chris J's post, GM is now calling their extended cabs double cabs.  Which is odd, since Double Cab was always synonymous with Crew Cab in my understanding.  Problem is everyone uses a different term for an extended cab---Super Cab, Quad Cab, etc.

To name a few. Over the years they have had many more. 

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4673/4041/24182020002_large.jpg

If I remember correctly that is a custom cab. 

We have also had supper cabs, King cabs, x-tra cabs and so on.  

Edited by Scout
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Scout said:

To name a few. Over the years they have had many more. 

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4673/4041/24182020002_large.jpg

If I remember correctly that is a custom cab. 

We have also had supper cabs, King cabs, x-tra cabs and so on.  

I remember that...not sure if Toyota built those or it was some aftermarket vendor..   

18 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I remember that...not sure if Toyota built those or it was some aftermarket vendor..   

1980's Toyota Custom Cab Pickup were 3rd party built trucks with a sleep cab, much the way 3rd party Vans were built.

Good History of Toyota here:

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-50th-anniversary-a-brief-history-of-toyota-trucks/

But they do not comment on the Custom Cab pickup.

1985-Toyota-4x4-Custom-Cab-Pickup-2.jpg

Found out that Toyota had these built for them from a company in Oregon and shipped then throughout NA.

CFM Custom Fab MFG of Oregon Inc.

5602 N. E. Skyport Way, Portland OR 97218

1-503-284-9195

Very interesting truck.

• Haha 1

I've seen a few of those...even saw one in the Phoenix area still going about 5 years ago. 

Speaking of custom Toyota trucks, I always wondered if this Hot Wheels Toyota from 1980 or so is from Mattel's imagination or if something real was built like this, maybe a one off custom...

s-l225.jpg

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've seen a few of those...even saw one in the Phoenix area still going about 5 years ago. 

Speaking of custom Toyota trucks, I always wondered if this Hot Wheels Toyota from 1980 or so is from Mattel's imagination or if something real was built like this, maybe a one off custom...

s-l225.jpg

That makes me think mini Dolphin. 

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

s-l225.jpg

Wonder if that was supposed to be an early FJ concept?

EDIT: On second thought, I think that is supposed to be a Custom Cab with a canopy on the back of the truck bed. Sure looks like the one I posted above.

Found this cool Toyota Concept truck. Reminds me of the 80's

See the source image

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

s-l225.jpg

See the source image

Yup, I think it is supposed to be a 1990's SR5 Extra Cab with matching Canopy you have there.

5 minutes ago, Scout said:

I didn't realize those were aftermarket.  Well, I guess that being the case you could always have a MEGA X 2 truck if you have the money and desire.

http://www.megax2.com/

Very Cool, I can see these selling to Catholic and Mormon families. Thanks for the post as I like these. :) 

I hope GM rethinks making a truck like their 2008 Concept. I loved this looking truck!

See the source image

55 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Love the room in Ram Mega Cab! :metal: 

I've never been in one but to think they're more spacious than a SCrew F150 is insane. I think those cabs are huge. lol 

51 minutes ago, William Maley said:

Coming soon from Mercedes-Benz, the XLC-Coupe.

8 months later from BMW then another 10 months from Audi. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I've never been in one but to think they're more spacious than a SCrew F150 is insane. I think those cabs are huge. lol 

I have been in them and love the ability to stretch my long legs out and the fact that the rear bench has a 6 inch slide so you can pull it forward and be more like a supercrew truck or standard crew cab with plenty of storage room behind the seat.

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

See the source image

Yup, I think it is supposed to be a 1990's SR5 Extra Cab with matching Canopy you have there.

Nah, the Hot Wheels is from 1980 and the rear body is integral w/ the cab...has a neat little sofa and table inside..seems like something that might have been a SEMA-type show custom...

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Nah, the Hot Wheels is from 1980 and the rear body is integral w/ the cab...has a neat little sofa and table inside..seems like something that might have been a SEMA-type show custom...

OK, giving me the date, I think it is a custom conversion as a number of companies in the 80's and 90's would take the trucks and turn them into custom camper trucks.

See the source image

Chinook conversions was the biggest on any body style they offered even on the Extra cab.

See the source image

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Model FC Coupe-Delivery, 3183 built in '36. '42 was the last year.

- - - - -
• 'Double Cab" is a toyota thing for the most part, not domestic market. I was a bit disapointed Chevy appropriated the term a few years ago.
• Extended cabs were, for the most part, 1 notch up from the regular cab- offering more room/occasional rear passengers but lesser cost than the CC. I would agree with Moltar's sentiment; seems the extended cab has dwindling room in the segment, but I like that the Big 3 continue to offer a staggering amount of configurations in their trucklines. Let it ride.

- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.47.01 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Person(s) in the back have to be horizontal.

62 P Armbruster05.png

The body work looks neat on that Pontiac..rear opening door behind the front door.  Would be neat to convert the bed area (former flower car?) into a long trunk...

I looked at this very car when it was in NJ- immense- had a 2-piece driveshaft. Ad claimed it was 1 of 1. These pics were from 2012- after the owner apparently had moved to AZ.

62 P Armbruster03.png

^^ THIS IS A 4-DOOR COUPE, THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE A "4-DOOR COUPE" ^^
I don't care what the ad men claim.

Be still my heart RE taking the stainless off & making a huge trunk lid. I LOVE short hood/long deck cars.

Here's a '63 (non-commercial):

63 Bonnelino.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1