Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Ford released information and pictures of the 2019 Ford Ranger today ahead of the start of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The 2019 Ranger is now a mid-size truck, growing up substantially from the rather compact Ranger that went out of production in 2011. The new Ranger will be equipped with Ford's 2.3 liter Ecoboost 4-cylinder and a 10-speed automatic transmission mounted on a high-strength steel frame.  An FX4 package will add skid plates, upgraded tires, off-road shocks, and some additional computer controlled terrain management systems.

Three trim levels will be offered in SuperCab or SuperCrew Cab configurations.  In those cabs will be an available 8 inch touch screen when equipped with SYNC3 system, while the information cluster has two LCD screens for driver information.  SYNC3 includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Ford+Alexa, and optional navigation. 

The Ranger will share a platform with the forthcoming Ford Bronco and both are expected to be built in Ford's plant in Wayne Michigan. 

Ford Press Release on Page 2

Click here to follow all 2018 Detroit Auto Show News

Click here to follow all Ford News

An American Favorite Reinvented: New Ford Ranger Brings Built Ford Tough Innovation to U.S. Midsize Truck Segment • Built Ford Tough: Ford answers the call from truck customers looking for an affordable, rugged, and maneuverable midsize pickup that’s Built Ford Tough; torture-tested alongside Ford F-150 trucks, Ranger quality starts with a rugged high-strength steel frame backbone, proven Ford-built 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine and class-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission • Ready for adventure with innovative technology: New features make driving easier and more fun, both on- and off-road; available FX4 Off-Road Package adds protective skid plates, upgraded tires, off-road-tuned shocks and suspension, while Terrain Management System™ and Trail Control™ help navigate challenging conditions; a suite of innovative technologies includes standard Automatic Emergency Braking to help avoid collisions • Strong new choice for midsize truck fans: Ranger brings American truck lovers an all-new choice; production begins late this year at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant as the U.S. industry sees continued growth in midsize pickups DETROIT, Jan. 14, 2018 – Ford today reveals the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger for North America, bringing midsize truck fans a new choice from America’s truck sales leader – one that’s engineered Built Ford Tough and packed with driver-assist technologies to make driving easier whether on- or off-road. Production begins late this year at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant as customer demand is growing for midsize trucks. U.S. sales are up 83 percent since 2014 as a new generation of midsize truck buyers seek more maneuverable, fuel-efficient pickups. The 2019 Ford Ranger answers the call with an all-new midsize pickup featuring a new exterior design, chassis and powertrain developed specifically for North American truck customers. Powerful and strong, with a high-strength steel frame, Ranger is equipped with a proven 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine mated to the only 10-speed automatic transmission in the segment. “Ranger has always held a special place in the hearts of truck fans,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, Product Development and Purchasing. “The all-new Ranger is designed for today’s midsize truck buyer, delivering even more utility, capability and technology for those who blend city living with more off-the-grid adventures on weekends.” Ranger comes in entry-level XL, mid-level XLT and high-level Lariat trim series with available Chrome and Sport appearance and FX Off-Road packages, and in SuperCab or SuperCrew cab configurations. Built Ford Tough Built Ford Tough is engineered in Ranger’s DNA – from its high-strength steel frame backbone to its frame-mounted steel front and rear bumpers. Ford engineers put Ranger through the same torture testing as the legendary F-150 goes through. Even its design is tough. Ranger’s muscular body features a high beltline that emphasizes strength, while a raked grille and windshield provide an athletic appearance – designed to aid in aerodynamics and reduce wind noise. Short overhangs are functional off-road for clearing obstacles. From the rear, the Ranger nameplate stamped in the tailgate conveys strength, and the tailgate itself is designed to handle people and cargo. A rugged steel bumper with an available integrated trailer hitch receiver helps make towing campers, ATVs or watercraft a breeze. Inside, Ranger blends comfort and functionality with room for up to five people, their gear and accessories. A center stack includes an 8-inch touch screen for the available SYNC® 3 system, while the instrument cluster features dual LCD productivity screens for real-time vehicle, navigation and audio information. Ranger’s twin-power dome hood houses its 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine designed for efficiency and capability thanks to direct fuel injection, a twin-scroll turbocharger and 16-valve design. For added durability, the engine features a forged-steel crankshaft and connecting rods, and chain-driven dual overhead cams. “Ranger’s proven 2.3-liter EcoBoost provides a torque target on par with competing V6 engines, but with the efficiency of a four-cylinder,” said Thai-Tang. “When you pair that with its 10-speed transmission, you’ve got one of the most versatile, powerful and efficient powertrains in the segment.” Adventure-ready Ranger is designed for a new generation of midsize truck customers who head off-road to recharge. Ranger prioritizes ground clearance to help climb over off-road obstacles. The FX4 Off-Road Package provides additional trail capability with off-road-tuned shocks, all-terrain tires, a framemounted heavy-gauge steel front bash plate, frame-mounted skid plates and FX4 badging. To give customers a great all-terrain driving experience, Ranger’s FX4 Off-Road Package features an innovative Terrain Management System™ similar to the F-150 Raptor’s. It includes four distinct drive modes – normal; grass, gravel and snow; mud and ruts; and sand. The system can shift on the fly to automatically change throttle responsiveness, transmission gearing and vehicle controls to tailor traction, driveability and performance to any given terrain or weather condition. The FX4 Off-Road Package introduces Ford’s all-new Trail Control™ technology. Like cruise control for the highway but designed for low-speed, rugged terrain, Trail Control takes over acceleration and braking – sending power and braking to each individual wheel to allow drivers to focus on steering along the course. Power is distributed through Dana® AdvanTEK® independent front and solid rear axles on both 2WD and 4WD models with an available electronic-locking rear axle (standard on FX2 and FX4) for increased all-terrain traction. Ranger four-wheel-drive versions feature 2-high, 4-high and 4-low. Innovative technology Ranger incorporates smart driver-assist, passenger convenience and connectivity technologies. Advanced driver-assist technologies include standard Automatic Emergency Braking, while Lane Keeping Assist, Lane Departure Warning, a Reverse Sensing System and class-exclusive Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage are standard on XLT and Lariat trim levels. Additional driver-assist technologies standard on Lariat include Pedestrian Detection and Adaptive Cruise Control. Available SYNC® 3 features Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, Ford+Alexa personal assistant functionality and optional navigation. An available FordPass™ Connect 4G LTE modem provides Wi-Fi access for up to 10 devices. Available AC power outlets allow for charging of laptops and USB outlets provide more options for passengers to connect. Available B&O PLAY premium audio is specially tuned for the Ranger cab to deliver a rich and engaging listening experience. Additional features include optional LED headlamps and taillamps. Optional exterior lighting includes puddle lamps and lighting for the cargo bed,

View full article

It looks pretty big, which makes me wonder still if there is a market for smaller size trucks.  If this didn't have a Ford badge on it, I probably would have thought it was a Toyota.  Ford needs this though, they are missing out by only having the F150, I think they will sell a lot of these for people that find the F150 too big.

Nice.. it looks like they haven't changed the styling much from the international Ranger that's had a similar face since 2015.   Glad they resisted the urge to go for F150 styling with giant lights and grille.   Key dimensions are within an inch or two of the Colorado, it looks like.    The bumper is different front the current international model, but the body and interior look pretty much unchanged. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

This is the current international Ranger, styling looks much the same except for the front bumper/fascia details below the grille.  I wonder if we will have a trim similar to the Wildtrak (black one). 

images-31.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I would expect the international model to follow the look of this one pretty quickly.

Yep- and it won't need that much updating either...

Curious to see the prices on this....as they have to be careful a bit there. As the new trucks to getting nice rebates, it's not helping the smaller trucks at all!

If might not hurt to have a small bit of cash on the hood/good leases when it rolls out. With a loving push-think the Ranger should do quite well....

This, at first blush after the spectacular debut of the new Silverado, was a bit underwhelming... but after the hysteria wears off, it is actually a pretty good looking rig.  And I'm not mad that it is not aluminum ;)  Steel bumpers on a truck will always have my vote as well.  The turbo 2.3 might give Chevy lovers an excuse to make fun, but if it delivers reliable power in a truck-like fashion it should be fine once driven and compared.

I want to see an FX4 Supercab in other colors... I am assuming Ford will not have this truck in the flesh at Detroit?  Plus I wonder if the FX4 package will be available on XL and XLT like the F-150.

P.S. if it is 71 inches tall it will fit in my garage!!!  P.P.S. - that full frontal view reminds me an awful lot of the Colorado, with similar headlamp shape, and the tumblehome of the fenders... features I find a little soft for a truck, whether on the Chevy or this Ford.

Edited by ocnblu

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

This, at first blush after the spectacular debut of the new Silverado, was a bit underwhelming... but after the hysteria wears off, it is actually a pretty good looking rig.  And I'm not mad that it is not aluminum ;)  Steel bumpers on a truck will always have my vote as well.  The turbo 2.3 might give Chevy lovers an excuse to make fun, but if it delivers reliable power in a truck-like fashion it should be fine once driven and compared.

I want to see an FX4 Supercab in other colors... I am assuming Ford will not have this truck in the flesh at Detroit?  Plus I wonder if the FX4 package will be available on XL and XLT like the F-150.

P.S. if it is 71 inches tall it will fit in my garage!!!  P.P.S. - that full frontal view reminds me an awful lot of the Colorado, with similar headlamp shape, and the tumblehome of the fenders... features I find a little soft for a truck, whether on the Chevy or this Ford.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the Ranger... but it is just a mild visual refresh of the truck we've seen for years.  No V6 is a no-go for me though... I don't care if its faster 0-60, I don't want to have to constantly be in the boost just to keep moving. 

Yes it will be in the flesh in Detroit. It will be shown tonight.  William and I won't be there though. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Curious to see the prices on this....as they have to be careful a bit there. As the new trucks to getting nice rebates, it's not helping the smaller trucks at all!

If might not hurt to have a small bit of cash on the hood/good leases when it rolls out. With a loving push-think the Ranger should do quite well....

That's what I'm wondering as well. If Ford prices it right, they could have a real winner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I went over to Ford's preview site for the new Ranger, and it seems like they're just as flexible with the trim package availability as they are on the F-150.  Good news for truck buyers of varying budgets.  So it's either XLT Sport FX4 Supercab 4X4 or even an STX FX4 4X4 Supercab in Lightning Blue or Magnetic since there is no green on the list.

I was looking at the Australian site, they also offer 4- and 5-cyl diesels, a regular cab, and regular cab and chassis variations.  Since they don't have the F-series, they have a broader range of configurations. 

• Agree 1

I'll say it again,.  Ford needs to price this (at least a couple decently equipped models) in the Frontier range. The Frontier has been mostly unchanged since forever. But people still buy because of the price of entry. If they offer a couple decently equipped models at a low entry people will line up. They can do a King Ranch Ranger (or whatever a top of the line Ranger is) for the others that want a 50K small truck. 

• Agree 2

Nice, lack of V6 is an issue.  But Ford seems to be getting rid of nearly all NA v6's so unless there is a new NA v6 coming out, this won't see one.  4 cyl only may just be a way of keeping this from stepping on F150 toes.

When i was selling used vehicles, one of the most popular pickups was the old Ford Explorer based truck.  People loved those because they were trimmed out much nicer than typical rangers.  This new Ranger has a seemingly posh interior design which will appeal to fans of that old Ford Explorer pickup.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

Some strong selling points for this truck lover:  the 2.3L EB, being the only engine, means I have no temptation to spend $1200 for a V6, like the Colorado, and it will have good power figures.  Also on the Chevy, in typical GM truck fashion, you have to go up to the Z71 to get a moderately sporty looking off-road package... something Ford offers on even their cheapest XL.  Ford also offers a Sport trim as an add-on to the XLT, for a darker, non-blingy alternative to the normal (and nice) chrome.  They give the customer choices.  This will definitely help ppl spec out a Ranger exactly the way they want it without going over budget.  Except for a stick and a regular cab.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scout said:

I'll say it again,.  Ford needs to price this (at least a couple decently equipped models) in the Frontier range. The Frontier has been mostly unchanged since forever. But people still buy because of the price of entry. If they offer a couple decently equipped models at a low entry people will line up. They can do a King Ranch Ranger (or whatever a top of the line Ranger is) for the others that want a 50K small truck. 

Yet many DO NOT need a Full size or Mid Size truck. This is a great looking truck with plenty of great options, but like @Drew Dowdell no V6 is a NO GO for me.

I think Ford missed the Boat, they could have cleaned up with a modern Mini Pickup that offered all these configs. I do believe that many people especially in the City want a mini pickup for their various projects.

The current international Ranger (the T6 dates back to MY 2011) isn't offered with a  V6 in any market that I can see...maybe they would have had to do costly platform re-engineeering to offer a V6...time will tell whether no V6 is a good or bad idea...

I think saying no V6 is a deal killer is a bit extreme.   Isn't the point of small trucks for people that don't want/need a full size, and economy. The "mini" truck market killed itself when they all got so darn porky the line between full size and small became blurred. It became a comparison between near economy and size of the big brother for about the same price. I'd say at best the small trucks are midsize to large compared to what the popular small trucks used to be.

So isn't the real question, is the Ranger going to offer economy in both efficiency and value for those that don't want/need a full size?

On that note, I'd also love to see speachal edition performance options like days gone by. But that's not the bread and butter of this particular market. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's funny, I just realized the simple, clean front of the Ranger matches up more with the 2019 Ram than the overwrought dreck of the F series and Super Duty front ends....similar light clusters and grille shape to the Ram. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Here's an STX FX4 4X4, based on the XL... I mean, it looks plenty sporty to me, except I'd want the Supercab for the more usable bed length.  And YES, it is a shame Ford won't sell the regular cab here.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

I love that color....and I was hoping they would follow the trims of the f-150 somewhat. It's pretty much all I need in a truck....8)

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yet many DO NOT need a Full size or Mid Size truck. This is a great looking truck with plenty of great options, but like @Drew Dowdell no V6 is a NO GO for me.

I think Ford missed the Boat, they could have cleaned up with a modern Mini Pickup that offered all these configs. I do believe that many people especially in the City want a mini pickup for their various projects.

If it still has the get up and go it needs and can do light towing, I am more than fine with that....

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

Will Ford even bother to move the shifter over to the left side (driver's side in the US) of the console?

Well, the T6 Ranger was engineered in Australia, so it was RHD before LHD.....though in the first version of the T6 ('11-14)  the shifter looks centered in the console.

6a00d83451b3c669e20134882f9ec5970c-800wi.jpg

But if you look at the '15-18 interior, the shifter seems to have moved towards the passenger, and the new NA version is kind of the mirror image of the this. 

1293842033783486503.jpg

2019 NA version:

2019-ford-ranger-2.jpg

21 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Ram trucks have gone to the shift knob. And after using it in our new van. I like it. It frees up space definitely. The days of the big shifter knob may be coming to an end. 

I haven't driven anything yet w/ that knob, but I'd probably like it.    I'm surprised Jeep hasn't used it yet.  My Jeep has the funky small shifter that stays in place (move forward and back to shift then it returns to the center). 

I like this.  i like the fact they seem to be giving it some actual ground clearance and no ground dragging lower front spoiler.  the interior looks nice.  The side view is Very Colorado and I am not feeling the 2.3 turbo as the only engine option.  Was hoping for the option of the 2.7T

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I haven't driven anything yet w/ that knob, but I'd probably like it.    I'm surprised Jeep hasn't used it yet.  My Jeep has the funky small shifter that stays in place (move forward and back to shift then it returns to the center). 

GM has used that shifter for a while too, I like it in my sons jeep.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

GM has used that shifter for a while too, I like it in my sons jeep.

I think his is a '17, though?  They changed the shifter in '17.   My '14 has this shifter:

2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-gear-shift-knob.jpg

While the '17-18 has this shifter:

2017-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Shift.png

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I think his is a '17, though?  They changed the shifter in '17.   My '14 has this shifter:

2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-gear-shift-knob.jpg

While the '17-18 has this shifter:

2017-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Shift.png

Yup, His is a 17 and I see the difference in shifters. Cadillac XT5 shifter looks more like his but seems to me to have that move it and always come back to center position mode.

2018-xt5-interior-gallery-front-1280x400

On 1/14/2018 at 10:50 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Well, this Ranger is a midsize, though, which are usually V6...definitely not as small as the old Ranger. This is Colorado/Canyon sized. 

Perhaps I misspoke, wasn't clear, misused punctuation, or in some way failed to get the point across here,,

The "mini" truck market killed itself when they all got so darn porky the line between full size and small became blurred.

Although I did think this covered the point,

isn't the real question, is the Ranger going to offer economy in both efficiency and value for those that don't want/need a full size?

On 1/14/2018 at 10:07 AM, dfelt said:

Yet many DO NOT need a Full size or Mid Size truck. This is a great looking truck with plenty of great options, but like @Drew Dowdell no V6 is a NO GO for me.

I'll debate what is in bold if you would like. :P

If it still has the get up and go it needs and can do light towing, I am more than fine with that....

And the above quoted sums up what a "small truck"  job is. :)

It is what it is...Ford just federalized a vehicle they have built and sold in other markets since 2011.  Probably a very small investment.  Also this generation of Ranger has always been 4/5 cylinder.  Presumably not engineered for a V6. 

With the 'One Ford' playbook the Ranger is their global small truck, too big of a risky investment to do something smaller and cheaper. 

I'm curious what the towing capacity will be.  And how that number with compare with the Coloyon and Taco .

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 12:07 PM, dfelt said:

You want a smaller truck and a V6. Those things do not go hand in hand. If it was even smaller it would have been a guarantee a year ago it would have been a 4 banger only. 

I think it looks good. I was afraid it would have looked like the international version which I don't think looks good. Even though it is only a small change the bumpers made a huge difference. 

i wonder what it would cost to lease something with the FX4 package because it looks sweet. 

I'm still not sure if it looks any better than the Tacoma but it easily looks better than a Colorado. The Colorado just looks too soft. If I got one of those twins I'd have to go with the Canyon for its boxier/tougher looks. 

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You want a smaller truck and a V6. Those things do not go hand in hand. If it was even smaller it would have been a guarantee a year ago it would have been a 4 banger only. 

Clarification grasshopper, in the mid size truck class, to me V6 is a requirement and should be there.

In the Mini Truck class, 4 bangers only with and without turbo is fine.

When you look at the mini trucks of the late 70's and 80's the Chevy Luv, Ford Ranger, S10, etc. they all did the job they were needed for which for many people was going to Home Depot type stores, small jobs.

I still believe a mini truck market can exist and even be a EV truck that handles 500 to a max 1000lbs.

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Clarification grasshopper, in the mid size truck class, to me V6 is a requirement and should be there.

In the Mini Truck class, 4 bangers only with and without turbo is fine.

When you look at the mini trucks of the late 70's and 80's the Chevy Luv, Ford Ranger, S10, etc. they all did the job they were needed for which for many people was going to Home Depot type stores, small jobs.

I still believe a mini truck market can exist and even be a EV truck that handles 500 to a max 1000lbs.

Ehhh a modern turbo 4 can easily do the job and with much better torque output. I agree they should probably have one for those who feel it is necessary but I don't think they need to offer one. 

Noooooo no n/a 4 banger in a tiny truck. Even those would likely weigh in the ballpark of 3500lbs with all the modern safety tech and I know what it's like driving a n/a 4 cylinder. It's "okay" but I wouldn't want that in anything that I carry weight around regularly. 

Also, 500lbs payload is almost literally 2 Americans, LOL. The 1000lbs is more what one would need. 

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Is there still a market for such trucks anymore, though? 

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ehhh a modern turbo 4 can easily do the job and with much better torque output. I agree they should probably have one for those who feel it is necessary but I don't think they need to offer one. 

Noooooo no n/a 4 banger in a tiny truck. Even those would likely weigh in the ballpark of 3500lbs with all the modern safety tech and I know what it's like driving a n/a 4 cylinder. It's "okay" but I wouldn't want that in anything that I carry weight around regularly. 

Also, 500lbs payload is almost literally 2 Americans, LOL. The 1000lbs is more what one would need. 

My thinking is that you can have a mini pickup truck that can hold 3 adults in base cabe config plus another 500 to 1000 lbs in the bed.

I think with EV mini pickup truck you could easily have AWD of a performance monster with up to 1000 lbs payload capacity in the bed and have a quiet sleeper Syclone pickup.

Yup loved the GMC Syclone pickup, just think the fun that would be for hauling around 5 kegs in the bed! ;) 

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Is there still a market for such trucks anymore, though? 

Yes, it is amazing to see in Seattle how many people still have mini pickups as they do not need mid or full size trucks even with owning a house and the tight parking on streets, etc. Inner City living I still believe people want a truck for various chores without all the size and bulk.

First Auto OEM to build a 200 mile range EV Mini Pickup will catch considerable market share.

I know there are people that still buy used small trucks, my older brother is on his 3rd Ranger in 20 years now (recently bought a clean '09 Super Cab 4x4).    He doesn't haul much beyond dog food.   I couldn't see him buying the new one--too expensive and fancy for him.