NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Here's Why the Chevy SS Was a Total Failure

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This guy is a dweeb. His review was a nitpicking farce

Totally agree!

Moron with a Bold Capital M

• Upvote 1

The guy may be annoying but all the points he brings up are totally valid: the styling , no advertising, no lower trim version for more affordable price.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ykX said:

The guy may be annoying but all the points he brings up are totally valid: the styling , no advertising, no lower trim version for more affordable price.  

No they aren't. The initial expectation was 3000 a year. The Styling was sleeper.. what's wrong with that. The only reason Dodge has a meaner looking Charger is because that's really all they got. The Challenger is only aggressive looking because it literally steals styling completely from the muscle car era.. hence the reason why Fiat is SCARED to change it for now 11 years. Chevy sold them to people who wanted RWD performance at a bargain coming from a car that was both a spectacular handler and elegant to boot. Drive one.. see. For anyone that didn't want the performance they had an Impala right next to it the whole damn time. Personally.. I would love to see the two merge.. but only now.. as sedan sales are down and resources are being allocated to CUVs. And to the trim thing.. again IMPALA has your lower offerings.. and.. to me the worst thing.. the most pathetic thing.. is pulling up on a Charger SXT. A joke for the name

@Cmicasa the Great no argument regarding the performance.  However, if it had a more basic trim for more affordable price more people would consider it, me including.  I am not saying it was not a great bargain for what it was, but it was loaded and maybe more people would consider (again, including me) if it could be bought less loaded for a more reasonable price. 

Also, nothing wrong with being a sleeper but it looked too much like a Malibu.

Another point in regards to advertising.  I know even people who where somewhat into cars didn't know it existed, let alone general public.  

• Upvote 1

I actually really like this guy's reviews. He's very thorough. More so than any other auto reviewer.  

• Upvote 1

I find it fascinating that this guy gets so many video views and yet is wrong about so much so often.

Edit: Some examples....

1. 3:16 - Talking about the plastic engine cover not having the Chevy logo on it and him guessing the Holden gets a Holden logo.  Wrong it took 2 seconds to find an image of a Holden Commodore SS engine cover and it looks exactly the same.  But wait, there's more!  NONE of GM's US brands outside of Corvette or Cadillac put the brand name on the engine cover.  NONE.  So this is not a "quirk of being an Australian import".

2. 4:08 - Starts talking about the passenger side of the dashboard with the SS logo embroidered on it.  He guesses that the embroidery is just there to cover up the Holden logo.... Newsflash there Sherlock, the passenger side of the SS is the driver's side of the Commodore! There would be no logo on that side of the dashboard to cover up!  But again, a quick google image search shows that the Commodore SSV gets a similar embroidered logo, just on the opposite side of the car.  Even so, base model Commodores without the embroidery do not have a logo on the dash in those same locations.

3. 4:42 - Starts talking about the driver information center, its controls, and iconography.  First, the controls... he thinks that controling the DIC from the turn signal stalk is a quirk.... No it's not... it's literally how most other GM vehicles have been doing it for 10 years! That's the same turn signal stalk as a 2008 Malibu!  Second, the DIC iconography. Those screens have been around since the color screens first started appearing on GM vehicles.  If he had said the screens were old and out of date, he might have a point, however they were not "odd" or "quirky".  They're standard issue GM.

4. 6:59 - Navigation breadcrumb - Oh jesus tapdancing Christ! GO BUY A GARMIN YOU DOLT! Every GM Nav system of this generation has Breadcrumbs... my Encore has it. They've been around for a decade!

5. 10:50 - Complaining about the reverse lights - The reverse lights come on when you unlock the car to.... wait for it..... provide light as you approach the vehicle at night!  His statement that the lights stay on long after you've locked the car is wrong... with a qualification.  It is a programmable setting. By default the lights only stay on about 30 seconds, though they can be set to stay on longer. How many people really do that though?

6. 12:58 - Koala's don't make chimpanzee sounds. Chimpanzees aren't native to Australia. 

7. 14:36 - Complaining about skip shift... I get that as a valid complaint, but the reason for it is that GM gets a higher EPA rating for including it. I understand both sides of this one, but it would have been helpful if he explained the reason GM includes it still.  

8. 17:17 - His theories on why it didn't sell - Except for his points on advertising and name, he's basically entirely wrong.  It was only ever supposed to sell around 3,000 a year.  It was a way for GM to get some extra profit when they had to ship a container full of Caprice PPVs over. And it was a gift from Mark Reuss who didn't want to see his baby, the Zeta car, left behind in Australia.   It's cancellation had zero to do with US sales, it was simply that the Zeta car went out of production in Australia when GM's AU manufacturing operations stopped. 

The sad part is that all of his reviews are like this... so I really don't get why so many people like watching him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

1. 3:16 - Talking about the plastic engine cover not having the Chevy logo on it and him guessing the Holden gets a Holden logo.  Wrong it took 2 seconds to find an image of a Holden Commodore SS engine cover and it looks exactly the same.  But wait, there's more!  NONE of GM's US brands outside of Corvette or Cadillac put the brand name on the engine cover.  NONE.  So this is not a "quirk of being an Australian import".

They definitely used to. 

3. 4:42 - Starts talking about the driver information center, its controls, and iconography.  First, the controls... he thinks that controling the DIC from the turn signal stalk is a quirk.... No it's not... it's literally how most other GM vehicles have been doing it for 10 years! That's the same turn signal stalk as a 2008 Malibu!  Second, the DIC iconography. Those screens have been around since the color screens first started appearing on GM vehicles.  If he had said the screens were old and out of date, he might have a point, however they were not "odd" or "quirky".  They're standard issue GM.

It seems odd and quirky that the DIC would be controlled from the turn signal stalk. 

4. 6:59 - Navigation breadcrumb - Oh jesus tapdancing Christ! GO BUY A GARMIN YOU DOLT! Every GM Nav system of this generation has Breadcrumbs... my Encore has it. They've been around for a decade!

Just because they have it doesn't mean it is a good thing. He's stating reasons why it failed(while I necessarily agree with this) just because other GM vehicles do this doesn't mean it is right. 

5. 10:50 - Complaining about the reverse lights - The reverse lights come on when you unlock the car to.... wait for it..... provide light as you approach the vehicle at night!  His statement that the lights stay on long after you've locked the car is wrong... with a qualification.  It is a programmable setting. By default the lights only stay on about 30 seconds, though they can be set to stay on longer. How many people really do that though?

I've heard this complaint from a hand full of GM owners. They don't like that it looks like they are going to back out of a parking spot when they unlock or lock their car and then they have somebody waiting for them now. As far as I know, nobody else does this. 

7. 14:36 - Complaining about skip shift... I get that as a valid complaint, but the reason for it is that GM gets a higher EPA rating for including it. I understand both sides of this one, but it would have been helpful if he explained the reason GM includes it still.

That doesn't make it any less of a complaint on the vehicle. 

@Drew Dowdell Outstanding statements, should post them to his YouTube thread as the guy is a Dolt! I also in watching his reviews find his side of Moronic irresponsible reporting to be so much like our current state of political business BS. All about moving his agenda and very unbalanced in neutral reporting.

35 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They definitely used to. 

20 years ago possibly, but largely no, they just got the engine information "3.6 VVT" or "3800" or "Vortec",  but not the car brand name. 

It seems odd and quirky that the DIC would be controlled from the turn signal stalk. 

Only if you haven't driven any GM vehicle in the last 10+ years... which if he were a person who reviews vehicles... or heck even an occasional rental car customer... he would have done.  In any given year GM is in at least the top 3 manufacturers of vehicles by volume. If this is the way it's done for 10 million vehicles a year for 10 years... 100 million vehicles is not quirky. In this case, it is certainly not a quirk limited to the Australian built SS as a significant enough quirk to cause its demise. Anyone walking in to get a Camaro or Malibu gets the same exact setup.

Just because they have it doesn't mean it is a good thing. He's stating reasons why it failed(while I necessarily agree with this) just because other GM vehicles do this doesn't mean it is right. 

Are you just arguing to argue?  Breadcrumbs aren't on by default. It's a navigation option that I bet 98% of GM owners don't even know exists. Navigation breadcrumbs certainly did not contribute to the SS's supposed failure (not that I even think he was making that assertion in the first place).  BTW, Ford's NAV has breadcrumbs, as do the higher models of Chrysler UConnect, as does Toyota, as does Honda, as do most 3rd party Nav units like Garmin.... after checking those, I figured that was enough volume of vehicles that there is no way in hell that breadcrumbs could be considered a quirk or odd.

I've heard this complaint from a hand full of GM owners. They don't like that it looks like they are going to back out of a parking spot when they unlock or lock their car and then they have somebody waiting for them now. As far as I know, nobody else does this. 

I just went to my car to check I was right.  It only lights up when you unlock the car so that you have light as you approach the vehicle.  The reverse lights do not stay on when you lock the car.  The reverse lights also turn off when you open the car door. If you see someone's reverse lights on and they walked away from their car... get out and steal their sunglasses since it's a good sign the doors are still unlocked.

That doesn't make it any less of a complaint on the vehicle. 

As I said... I see both sides of the point on skip-shift.  I was criticizing his lack of the explanation of "Why" rather than his complaint about the feature.  Skip shift can be annoying, I agree, but it is mostly annoying to car journalists who don't drive cars so equipped every day and are used to shifting through every gear.  It generally takes me about 3 days to get used to it, but then I don't mind it. God forbid we ever have to learn something new ya know....   If you dislike skip-shift that much there are $14 kits online to disable it. 

Re-reading my replies to you, it dawned on me that you don't get why I wrote what I wrote.  I'm reviewing the reviewer, not the car. He gets a lot of facts wrong, he leaves out information (does he not know?), and he gets fascinated and distracted by features in cars that are incredibly common and if he actually knew about cars he wouldn't be so fascinated by it.  I watch another review where he was fascinated by the floor mounted high beam switch in a 70's Eldorado, thinking it was some luxury item..... uh... no... That's how high beam lights were activated for decades before that 70s Eldorado came out.  The base model Chevy from the 50s likely has the same switch.  

It's also not a GM thing.  I could only get part of the way through his review of the Phaeton before I had to shut him off.

In short, he needs to do some basic research before he starts reviewing these cars.

• Upvote 1

@ccap41 Breadcrumbs have been around for a long time, you can check various forums and find plenty of debate on them. GM is not the only one to offer breadcrumbs.

I have actually had this turned on in all my auto's and did it for my parents and sisters. Most people drive in a Lemming mindless manner and for places they rarely go to but do still go a few times a year, having this is a great way to get them back there again when needed or when they are out and about showing friends / relatives the area and tend to not be the best tour guide, the breadcrumb reminder shows up and they can choose to take it or not.

Easy enough to turn on or off and remove from the nav so they do not show up.

Personal preference that you have to play with and try it out for more than an hour or day and see if it is of use to you.

Heck all of our smartphones offer breadcrumbs and both Apple and Google auto do this in the background anyways now to know more about your habits.

26 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

20 years ago possibly, but largely no, they just got the engine information "3.6 VVT" or "3800" or "Vortec",  but not the car brand name. 

CTS Engine.PNG

28 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Only if you haven't driven any GM vehicle in the last 10+ years... which if he were a person who reviews vehicles... or heck even an occasional rental car customer... he would have done.  In any given year GM is in at least the top 3 manufacturers of vehicles by volume. If this is the way it's done for 10 million vehicles a year for 10 years... 100 million vehicles is not quirky. In this case, it is certainly not a quirk limited to the Australian built SS as a significant enough quirk to cause its demise. Anyone walking in to get a Camaro or Malibu gets the same exact setup

Again, just because somebody produced 10 million vehicles a year doesn't mean it is supposed to be universally liked or accepted. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Go back and re-read the assignment.

Correct, Missed "outside of" 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Again, just because somebody produced 10 million vehicles a year doesn't mean it is supposed to be universally liked or accepted. 

and Again... not at all my assertion nor his.  He is asserting that it is odd or a quirk.  Quirky is Saab putting the key ignition in the center console. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Are you just arguing to argue?  Breadcrumbs aren't on by default. It's a navigation option that I bet 98% of GM owners don't even know exists. Navigation breadcrumbs certainly did not contribute to the SS's supposed failure (not that I even think he was making that assertion in the first place).  BTW, Ford's NAV has breadcrumbs, as do the higher models of Chrysler UConnect, as does Toyota, as does Honda, as do most 3rd party Nav units like Garmin.... after checking those, I figured that was enough volume of vehicles that there is no way in hell that breadcrumbs could be considered a quirk or odd.

No, I'm just saying, you gave reasons why you don't like him but some of these things you're nitpicking at are opinions. He didn't like something, that doesn't mean he's wrong.  

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

No, I'm just saying, you gave reasons why you don't like him but some of these things you're nitpicking at are opinions. He didn't like something, that doesn't mean he's wrong.  

So you're arguing just to argue... got it...   it's either that or you didn't actually watch the video. 

He didn't criticize the breadcrumbs at all. He calls breadcrumbs "An interesting item worth noting".

No... they really aren't interesting at all... nor unique as I've pointed out. They are about as interesting as a floor mounted high-beam switch.  This gets to my point that he gets distracted and goes on about inane stuff that is very very very common.

Next I hope he'll give me a rundown of how the turn signals operate. :deathwatch:

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Here... I helped you out @ccap41

• Haha 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

So you're arguing just to argue... got it...   it's either that or you didn't actually watch the video. 

He didn't criticize the breadcrumbs at all. He calls breadcrumbs "An interesting item worth noting".

No... they really aren't interesting at all... nor unique as I've pointed out. They are about as interesting as a floor mounted high-beam switch.  This gets to my point that he gets distracted and goes on about inane stuff that is very very very common.

Next I hope he'll give me a rundown of how the turn signals operate. :deathwatch:

I've watched a couple dozen of his videos over the last few months. I haven't watched this one as I'm at work. If it's like the others, which it's hard to believe it would be any different... but maybe it is... I know his videos.

Watch ones on the Model 3 and Ferrari F40 and all of the "quirks" they both have. 

Things that may seen odd or quirky can also be viewed as make-specific ways of doing things.  2 GM things I've always found weird with GM rental cars (doors unlocking automatically when I put it in park and the cruise control on the stalk) probably seem normal to long time GM owners. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Just now, ccap41 said:

Watch ones on the Model 3 and Ferrari F40 and all of the "quirks" they both have. 

I can't... I just ate.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Here... I helped you out @ccap41

lol did I not already say(paraphrasing) "You're right, I'm wrong. I missed the "outside of" part"? 

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Things that may seen odd or quirky can also be viewed as make-specific ways of doing things.  2 GM things I've always found weird with rental cars (doors unlocking automatically when I put it in park and the cruise control on the stalk) probably seem normal to long time GM owners. 

1. Door unlock is programable. 

2. You haven't been in a GM car in a while. Cruise moved up to the steering wheel a while ago.  I think the only one that still had it in the last 6 or 7 years was the Impala Limited.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I can't... I just ate.

If you've only watched one review of his, you're missing out. There are some genuine quirks out there on some awesome vehicles. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol did I not already say(paraphrasing) "You're right, I'm wrong. I missed the "outside of" part"? 

I missed you saying that. Sorry.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.