NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Here's Why the Chevy SS Was a Total Failure

Just now, ccap41 said:

If you've only watched one review of his, you're missing out. There are some genuine quirks out there on some awesome vehicles. 

No, I've watched about 4 of them.  Things like Ferrari and such are going to be quirky by nature and I don't know enough about the history to comment intelligently.  But that is also my point... I do try not to comment on something if I don't know anything about it..... it's a fault he seems not to have. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

1. Door unlock is programable. 

2. You haven't been in a GM car in a while. Cruise moved up to the steering wheel a while ago.  I think the only one that still had it in the last 6 or 7 years was the Impala Limited.

Most recent GMs I've driven is my sister's '15 Trax and a '16 Malibu rental.  I rarely ever use cruise control anyway...

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Most recent GMs I've driven is my sister's '15 Trax and a '16 Malibu rental.  I rarely ever use cruise control anyway...

Both of those are steering wheel based. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, I've watched about 4 of them.  Things like Ferrari and such are going to be quirky by nature and I don't know enough about the history to comment intelligently.  But that is also my point... I do try not to comment on something if I don't know anything about it..... it's a fault he seems not to have. 

Understandable. 

To be honest, I don't think he ever sells himself as a serious car reviewer.  His thing is to be a humorous car guy, he is never doing serious car reviews or giving serious car advice.   Maybe that is why he has a decent following on youtube.

So I am not sure why are you guys always get up in arms from his reviews.  Funny that it is only happens when he reviews GM cars :) 

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

Funny that it is only happens when he reviews GM cars :)

Who would have thought?!?

9 minutes ago, ykX said:

To be honest, I don't think he ever sells himself as a serious car reviewer.  His thing is to be a humorous car guy, he is never doing serious car reviews or giving serious car advice.   Maybe that is why he has a decent following on youtube.

So I am not sure why are you guys always get up in arms from his reviews.  Funny that it is only happens when he reviews GM cars :) 

No... the Phaeton was equally bad. I can pick that one apart too if you really want me to.   The thing is, he's not all that funny. 

Regular Car Reviews is funny and knows his stuff.  

Edit:

I like this Miata review. It's about a car that is the exact opposite of cars I like, the guy makes gay jokes, he gets excited about inane stuff (pop-up headlights), but.... he's funny about it. He also really knows his stuff. This is an entertaining review.  Now I am not knowledgeable enough about Miata's to know if every technical detail he mentions is correct, but it doesn't matter as much because he's not talking about breadcrumbs as though they're something super interesting.   Even if he got every technical detail wrong, it's still an entertaining review about a car that I don't care about at all. 

Where are the jokes in the Chevy SS review?  The Koala that makes chimpanzee sounds? 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Things that may seen odd or quirky can also be viewed as make-specific ways of doing things.  2 GM things I've always found weird with GM rental cars (doors unlocking automatically when I put it in park and the cruise control on the stalk) probably seem normal to long time GM owners. 

Yup very normal even back to my 93 GMC Suburban SLE I still own has cruise  on the stalk. I like the default unlock when you go into park, newer version of auto's allows you to change this programming to when you turn the auto off. I did this on my TrailBlazer SS as the wife for a while was driving some relatives around who are kids and we wanted to make sure they did not just jump out. So now my TB unlocks when you turn off the auto.

28 minutes ago, ykX said:

Naw, I feel that way about all his reviews that get posted, have not bothered to watch him lately as I find him to be just stupid, but then I guess I am wanting more professional than someone trying to be a comic on auto's. Maybe he should give the reviews up and focus on his comic side, it seriously needs work. :P 

6 hours ago, ykX said:

@Cmicasa the Great no argument regarding the performance.  However, if it had a more basic trim for more affordable price more people would consider it, me including.  I am not saying it was not a great bargain for what it was, but it was loaded and maybe more people would consider (again, including me) if it could be bought less loaded for a more reasonable price. 

Also, nothing wrong with being a sleeper but it looked too much like a Malibu.

Another point in regards to advertising.  I know even people who where somewhat into cars didn't know it existed, let alone general public.  

I always looked at the SS as a obligatory car.. or a gift to enthusiasts. They had to spill off Commodore units while at the same time appeasing Chevy/GM buyers who missed Pontias's G8. Never posed a problem for me.. as I was interested in the CTS-V.. but now.. I am not opposed to picking up a used one as my Impala is now hitting 89K and I kno where I can find a used SS with 74K on the ODO for about $25K. I'll have to pony up some cas with the trade... but seriously still a bargain

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I find it fascinating that this guy gets so many video views and yet is wrong about so much so often.

Edit: Some examples....

1. 3:16 - Talking about the plastic engine cover not having the Chevy logo on it and him guessing the Holden gets a Holden logo.  Wrong it took 2 seconds to find an image of a Holden Commodore SS engine cover and it looks exactly the same.  But wait, there's more!  NONE of GM's US brands outside of Corvette or Cadillac put the brand name on the engine cover.  NONE.  So this is not a "quirk of being an Australian import".

2. 4:08 - Starts talking about the passenger side of the dashboard with the SS logo embroidered on it.  He guesses that the embroidery is just there to cover up the Holden logo.... Newsflash there Sherlock, the passenger side of the SS is the driver's side of the Commodore! There would be no logo on that side of the dashboard to cover up!  But again, a quick google image search shows that the Commodore SSV gets a similar embroidered logo, just on the opposite side of the car.  Even so, base model Commodores without the embroidery do not have a logo on the dash in those same locations.

3. 4:42 - Starts talking about the driver information center, its controls, and iconography.  First, the controls... he thinks that controling the DIC from the turn signal stalk is a quirk.... No it's not... it's literally how most other GM vehicles have been doing it for 10 years! That's the same turn signal stalk as a 2008 Malibu!  Second, the DIC iconography. Those screens have been around since the color screens first started appearing on GM vehicles.  If he had said the screens were old and out of date, he might have a point, however they were not "odd" or "quirky".  They're standard issue GM.

4. 6:59 - Navigation breadcrumb - Oh jesus tapdancing Christ! GO BUY A GARMIN YOU DOLT! Every GM Nav system of this generation has Breadcrumbs... my Encore has it. They've been around for a decade!

5. 10:50 - Complaining about the reverse lights - The reverse lights come on when you unlock the car to.... wait for it..... provide light as you approach the vehicle at night!  His statement that the lights stay on long after you've locked the car is wrong... with a qualification.  It is a programmable setting. By default the lights only stay on about 30 seconds, though they can be set to stay on longer. How many people really do that though?

6. 12:58 - Koala's don't make chimpanzee sounds. Chimpanzees aren't native to Australia. 

7. 14:36 - Complaining about skip shift... I get that as a valid complaint, but the reason for it is that GM gets a higher EPA rating for including it. I understand both sides of this one, but it would have been helpful if he explained the reason GM includes it still.  

8. 17:17 - His theories on why it didn't sell - Except for his points on advertising and name, he's basically entirely wrong.  It was only ever supposed to sell around 3,000 a year.  It was a way for GM to get some extra profit when they had to ship a container full of Caprice PPVs over. And it was a gift from Mark Reuss who didn't want to see his baby, the Zeta car, left behind in Australia.   It's cancellation had zero to do with US sales, it was simply that the Zeta car went out of production in Australia when GM's AU manufacturing operations stopped. 

The sad part is that all of his reviews are like this... so I really don't get why so many people like watching him.

Thank U Thank U Thank U. I even found it annoying the BS about the truck release being "only" on the fob and inner door. Only!!! I'm like.. most Corvette owners I kno don't even know that there is a pad above the tag. This bitch was complaining for the sake of complaining. PERSONALLY.. I HATE when reviewers of this day and age always have to reference GM in every review. They don't do it with Toyota and VW.. why GM? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

1) They definitely used to. 

2) It seems odd and quirky that the DIC would be controlled from the turn signal stalk. 

3) Just because they have it doesn't mean it is a good thing. He's stating reasons why it failed(while I necessarily agree with this) just because other GM vehicles do this doesn't mean it is right. 

4) I've heard this complaint from a hand full of GM owners. They don't like that it looks like they are going to back out of a parking spot when they unlock or lock their car and then they have somebody waiting for them now. As far as I know, nobody else does this. 

That doesn't make it any less of a complaint on the vehicle. 

1) It was usually a sticker on a filter pan, a lot of the times it said the cubic inches and not the division

2) Why? 

3) How is having a set feature exclusive to your company a reason for "failure?" Especially when its a useful feature if U use it?

4) What GM owner is complaining about this? I personally love it for the exact reason Drew pointed out. Fuck I care if someone has to stop and wonder if I'm backing out and I'm not? That's their issue.. kick sand.

5) Skip shift.. on my Vette, Camaro, ATS-V, and SS..  Cags can be killed completly for $16 on Amazon by purchasing and attaching this.. Takes 10 minutes under the car or when U go get your oil changed. A 1/4 the price and no different than buying 4 mud flaps.. and less time to install 

cags.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, you two both bought yourself an SS, right? 

This is why I can't tell if you're just trolling or not. Are you deliberately missing the point? The car is not the point.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I get the point. You don't like the guy.

You don't like things that he points out. Whether they're opinion or not. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, I get the point. You don't like the guy.

You don't like things that he points out. Whether they're opinion or not. 

I have no opinion on him as a person, but his video reviews of cars suck.  Would it make you feel better if I picked apart a review of his from a different brand?

Let's Review a Ford or FCA product then.

9 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I watch another review where he was fascinated by the floor mounted high beam switch in a 70's Eldorado, thinking it was some luxury item..... uh... no... That's how high beam lights were activated for decades before that 70s Eldorado came out.  The base model Chevy from the 50s likely has the same switch.

• The '76 (?) Eldorado review was cringe-inducing.
• My '40 Ford has that same floor-mounted high beam dimmer switch, coming up thru the oak plywood floorboard.
• Recently watched his review of a '91 S-class. I agree with DD- he's not funny, and the manner in which he gushes over a cars' "quirks" make him seem to be looking at a car for literally the first time in his life. All the reviews I've seen of his could be cut to 60-90 seconds long.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

He appears to be relatively young--maybe under 40, probably hasn't had much experience with old cars and their features that while once common, are strange and different compared to the controls of a typical car of today.     His reviews seem like they are his first time encountering a particular model.   Older Mercedes, for example, have plenty of 'quirks' that are different from a typical car of today, like the console mounted power window switches, the funky trunk lock, etc.  Or features that were relatively unique in their day like heated reclining rear seats.

It is understandable that not every car reviewer is an obsessive that's read everything and knows every bit of minutae about every model.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Upvote 2

On 1/17/2018 at 9:37 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I find it fascinating that this guy gets so many video views and yet is wrong about so much so often.

Edit: Some examples....

1. 3:16 - Talking about the plastic engine cover not having the Chevy logo on it and him guessing the Holden gets a Holden logo.  Wrong it took 2 seconds to find an image of a Holden Commodore SS engine cover and it looks exactly the same.  But wait, there's more!  NONE of GM's US brands outside of Corvette or Cadillac put the brand name on the engine cover.  NONE.  So this is not a "quirk of being an Australian import".

2. 4:08 - Starts talking about the passenger side of the dashboard with the SS logo embroidered on it.  He guesses that the embroidery is just there to cover up the Holden logo.... Newsflash there Sherlock, the passenger side of the SS is the driver's side of the Commodore! There would be no logo on that side of the dashboard to cover up!  But again, a quick google image search shows that the Commodore SSV gets a similar embroidered logo, just on the opposite side of the car.  Even so, base model Commodores without the embroidery do not have a logo on the dash in those same locations.

3. 4:42 - Starts talking about the driver information center, its controls, and iconography.  First, the controls... he thinks that controling the DIC from the turn signal stalk is a quirk.... No it's not... it's literally how most other GM vehicles have been doing it for 10 years! That's the same turn signal stalk as a 2008 Malibu!  Second, the DIC iconography. Those screens have been around since the color screens first started appearing on GM vehicles.  If he had said the screens were old and out of date, he might have a point, however they were not "odd" or "quirky".  They're standard issue GM.

4. 6:59 - Navigation breadcrumb - Oh jesus tapdancing Christ! GO BUY A GARMIN YOU DOLT! Every GM Nav system of this generation has Breadcrumbs... my Encore has it. They've been around for a decade!

5. 10:50 - Complaining about the reverse lights - The reverse lights come on when you unlock the car to.... wait for it..... provide light as you approach the vehicle at night!  His statement that the lights stay on long after you've locked the car is wrong... with a qualification.  It is a programmable setting. By default the lights only stay on about 30 seconds, though they can be set to stay on longer. How many people really do that though?

6. 12:58 - Koala's don't make chimpanzee sounds. Chimpanzees aren't native to Australia. 

7. 14:36 - Complaining about skip shift... I get that as a valid complaint, but the reason for it is that GM gets a higher EPA rating for including it. I understand both sides of this one, but it would have been helpful if he explained the reason GM includes it still.  

8. 17:17 - His theories on why it didn't sell - Except for his points on advertising and name, he's basically entirely wrong.  It was only ever supposed to sell around 3,000 a year.  It was a way for GM to get some extra profit when they had to ship a container full of Caprice PPVs over. And it was a gift from Mark Reuss who didn't want to see his baby, the Zeta car, left behind in Australia.   It's cancellation had zero to do with US sales, it was simply that the Zeta car went out of production in Australia when GM's AU manufacturing operations stopped. 

The sad part is that all of his reviews are like this... so I really don't get why so many people like watching him.

Valid points, although I do find him entertaining.

We all knew the SS wouldn't sell because the G8 and GTO didn't sell.  GM wanted those to sell but both were flawed and neither really geared to the American market.   The SS wasn't really marketed, had bland styling, and had the same formula that doomed the GTO and G8.   The SS had low volume expectations because GM knew it wouldn't sell after the last 2 Holdens flopped.

GM had low volume expectations because the Australian dollars exchange rate made it impractical to sell lower equipped models in the US.  The exchange rate is what really killed auto manufacturing in AU.

• Upvote 1

you know a car's boring when it makes doug demuro controversial by comparison

• Haha 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook