• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Chrysler News: Sergio Marchionne: You Get a Crossover and You Get A Crossover

For the past few years, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne holds a conference with journalists and analysts at the Detroit Auto Show, taking various questions. According to Motor Trend, Marchionne revealed that more crossovers are on the way for Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, and Ferrari.

Alfa's Three-Row Crossover: Sergio Marchionne confirmed that Alfa Romeo is working on a larger SUV to sit above the Stelvio. He says this model is very important for the brand. As we reported towards the end of December, the model would use a stretched version of the Stelvio's platform and possibly feature a mild-hybrid powertrain.

Chrysler's Pacifica-based crossover: It seems the platform that underpins the Pacifica will be used for a long-promised crossover. The model was in the previous five-year plan for FCA, but was pushed back. The model will be in the next five-year plan (expected to be shown sometime later this year) and could go into production within the next 18 months.

Ferrari SUV: Progress on Ferrari's upcoming SUV is moving quite quickly as Marchionne said it would be ready by the end of 2019 or early 2020. At the moment, the Italian automaker has mock-up bodies of the SUV, but nothing driveable.

“I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.

Other bits from Marchionne:

• When asked about a performance electric vehicle, Marchionne said, “Ferrari has looked at this forever, and if there is an electric supercar to be built, Ferrari will do it,”
  • FCA hasn't "found an economic way to get this done” when asked if there was the chance of a midsize Ram pickup.
  • Wrangler Pickup is expected to debut towards the end of 2019
  • Marchionne is planning to retire as FCA CEO next year
  • The most pressing question asked during the session? Where does he buy his sweaters? Answer: Online.

Source: Motor Trend

View full article

To boost sales every car should come with a free Sweater from Sergio’s Sweater Shack, offering the finest Italian made sweaters that are made in Italy.

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

To boost sales every car should come with a free Sweater from Sergio’s Sweater Shack, offering the finest Italian made sweaters that are made in Italy.

But if he is buying them online, then that means ultra Cheap, so probably China if not Malaysia made! Cheap shit, not Italian Shit.

In regards to the Story, Midsize Pickup they cannot find an economical way? BS, they are building a Jeep version, they sure as hell could rebadge it for RAM.  Another Idiotic Sergio mismanagement.

Ferrari has already lost the supercar race, Tesla beat ya too it with Roadster 2.0

FCA - Lead by the Ultimate Lemming Moron around!

Sad, too bad, next year cannot come soon enough for his retirement! <_<

I would skip a midsize pick up and do a small pickup of which there are none on market.  And couldn’t the Promaster city or some Fiat platform work for a pick up?  Or use the Pacifica platform for a pick up like Honda does with Ridgeline.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

"I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.

I feel like it is impossible for any SUV to drive like a REAL FERRARI. 

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

FCA hasn't "found an economic way to get this done” when asked if there was the chance of a midsize Ram pickup.

Different body panels on the Wrangler pickup..? 

45 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I would skip a midsize pick up and do a small pickup of which there are none on market.  And couldn’t the Promaster city or some Fiat platform work for a pick up?  

I think they'd be best lined up to do that for that reason. They already have a mid size in their portfolio(on its way) so to butcher up a little van shouldn't be too difficult. 

I don't really think there is space for even 2 tiny trucks though. If anybody comes out with one, I can't see enough market left for a second one. 

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Different body panels on the Wrangler pickup..? 

Well, they would need to tool up a new cab, interior, bed, trim, etc..and being a Ram they could sell it cheaper than the Wrangler, wouldn't need the removable roof, etc.   Maybe they worry a Ram midsize pickup would cannibalize sales from the Wrangler pickup.

38 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't really think there is space for even 2 tiny trucks though. If anybody comes out with one, I can't see enough market left for a second one. 

I don't know if it would be profitable to federalize the Ram 700--a mini-pickup based on an old Fiat car--that they have in Mexico now.saw a few in Arizona.    1500lb payload capacity.  It would be a unique entry in the market.

https://jalopnik.com/the-tiny-ram-700-pickup-truck-can-carry-more-than-half-1652291667

http://www.ram.com.mx/700/2017/?gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHMTmrqNSK8P9HN9gDetiL46aSXxyL8B5JGD9vcelg1X1D4TpuZNiuBoCjy4QAvD_BwE

dodge-ram-700-slt-adventure-2017-D_NQ_NP_806887-MLM26441680195_112017-F.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I would skip a midsize pick up and do a small pickup of which there are none on market.  And couldn’t the Promaster city or some Fiat platform work for a pick up?  Or use the Pacifica platform for a pick up like Honda does with Ridgeline.

I like the idea of the mini promaster being used as a FWD mini pickup like they have in Europe. Inner city folks I think would buy it.

The Fiat Doblo Work Up pickup is pretty badass...front like the Pro Master City? 

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe948812eb10203a4659f0d56cfa205ff31.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

cant they take the Jeep truck platform and bring back a Dakota?

oops...read proto, read before posting....thats been covered

:huh:

Edited by prototype66

54 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I don't know if it would be profitable to federalize the Ram 700--a mini-pickup based on an old Fiat car--that they have in Mexico now.saw a few in Arizona.    1500lb payload capacity.  It would be a unique entry in the market.

https://jalopnik.com/the-tiny-ram-700-pickup-truck-can-carry-more-than-half-1652291667

http://www.ram.com.mx/700/2017/?gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHMTmrqNSK8P9HN9gDetiL46aSXxyL8B5JGD9vcelg1X1D4TpuZNiuBoCjy4QAvD_BwE

reminds me of the Tornado Chevy has down south of the border also

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

1500lb payload capacity. 

That's full on mid-size territory.

Canyon: 1500-1620lbs

Colorado: 1492-1574lbs

Tacoma: 1100-1620lbs

Ridgeline: 1447-1584lbs

Frontier:  880-1500lbs

I thought Fiat had a pickup, good work on uncovering it.  The Fiat Fullback:

480_titaniumGrey_Cabina_Doppia.png

So they already make one, I don't see how Sergio can claim they can't find resources to do it.  

The Fullback is a rebadge of a Mitsubishi, which could work as a Ram, since in the 80s a Mitsubishi pickup was badged as the Ram 50...

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Fullback is a rebadge of a Mitsubishi, which would make since as a Ram, since a long time ago a Mitsubishi pickup was badged as the Ram 50...

One big circle if they did that again. :P 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

One big circle if they did that again. :P 

Ya.  And maybe they can partner with Mistu to get a compact and midsize sedan to replace the Dart and 200...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Fullback is a rebadge of a Mitsubishi, which could work as a Ram, since in the 80s a Mitsubishi pickup was badged as the Ram 50...

Except that didn't work then, when pickups were far far far simpler.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Except that didn't work then, when pickups were far far far simpler.

Yes, but it is a path to a compact pickup they could explore.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Priced right (below all the other mid size trucks), I could see that becoming a hit here. Young and college kids would eat this up, like in the days of the ranger and s10. The key here is going to be price.....

'Becoming a hit'? It's the Subaru Baja all over again : dreadfully over wrought and covered in blistered cladding, with no actual usable cargo space. Baja lasted barely 4 years- this is the same exact formula. 

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

I am on board with a true mini pickup returning to the USA.  A FWD/AWD based one might be the only way to go.  A preponderance of cladding is not cool though, currently.

• Upvote 1

I read up a bit on the Ram 700...built in Brazil from a Fiat Strada...it's pretty old and dated, the interior is an early 2000s gray plastic hell.   Available in regular cab and a 3dr club cab.  It's probably too dated for the US, but something new like this perhaps could work for FCA..

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ram-700.html

6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d156987a970c.jpg

D_NQ_NP_683096-MLM26555720448_122017-UB.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2018 at 10:28 PM, daves87rs said:

The key here is going to be price.....

Very much so! I think that's why small trucks went away in the first place. They were just too close to half tons while being so much smaller it was just a no-brainer to get the bigger truck for not much more money. 

Looking at Silverado and Colorado pricing, Outside of base 2WD and work truck trims, they're roughly 8k apart when both are 4WD, extended cab(double cab but not crew cab for the Silverado), and the lowest trim that isn't "work truck" and that you'll see on lots. Both in LT trim with no added options. 

I'd think for something substantially smaller than a Colorado or Tacoma you'd need another 5k difference for a mini truck again. At least in my opinion. 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:41 PM, balthazar said:

'Becoming a hit'? It's the Subaru Baja all over again : dreadfully over wrought and covered in blistered cladding, with no actual usable cargo space. Baja lasted barely 4 years- this is the same exact formula. 

I agree. Something smaller would need to be a real truck still otherwise they'd fall into the same spot as the Baja. 

44 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I agree. Something smaller would need to be a real truck still otherwise they'd fall into the same spot as the Baja. 

I also think we need to stop thinking a truck has to have everything your SUV / Car has. A mini pickup truck that can hold 3 people if in bench or two people with buckets can work for an alternative auto that can haul.

The death of the Mini was also due to someone wanting a SUV/CUV 4 door people hauler with a bed that can handle a 1000 lb payload.

Still think a basic Kingcab mini pickup would work for many people.

And I think we've come full circle on why there aren't mini trucks. A small CUV can already do what the tiny truck could do. 

A 1.5T Escape can tow 2000lbs.

A 2.0T Escape can tow 3500lbs.

Most of the competition is in the same range. I think the Cherokee stands out with a 4000lb capability. 

Unless you're using it for dirt or mulch or something a CUV has about as much open hatch space with the seats down as you would in a truck that small.

• Upvote 1