Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Acura News: Acura Announces Return of Type S, New Twin-Turbo V6

William Maley

Acura's performance image begins and ends with the NSX. But for a time, the Japanese luxury automaker built performance variants of certain models with the Type S badging. The last time this badge was seen on an Acura model was the 2008 TL Type-S. It featured a more powerful 3.5L V6 (286 vs. 256), unique chassis tuning, and design tweaks.

Last week, Acura announced that the Type S would be making a comeback on a number of models in the coming years. Also, a new twin-turbo V6 that will be exclusive for Acura is in development. No word on when this engine will debut.

"Acura will pursue a unique powertrain strategy that underscores the brand's rightful place as the performance division of Honda," said Toshiaki Mikoshiba, president & CEO of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

In the meantime, Acura will continue to expand its A-Spec trim to other models. The reason comes down to the success of the trim on the TLX V6. 

Source: Acura, Car and Driver
Press Release is on Page 2

Return of Type S and All-new V6 Turbo Underscore Renewed Commitment to Performance Throughout Acura Core Model Lineup

Jan 15, 2018 - DETROIT

• Acura to bring back vaunted Type-S performance variant over the next few years situated at top of core model lineup
  • Acura-exclusive, turbocharged V6 engine in development
  • A-Spec sport styling variant to be applied to all new Acura core models

In conjunction with the global debut of the 2019 Acura RDX Prototype and building upon the NSX supercar as the pinnacle expression of Precision Crafted Performance, Acura today announced new details on the future performance strategy of its core model lineup. The plans include the launch of a new turbocharged V6 powerplant exclusive to future Acura products, the return of its vaunted Type-S performance brand in the coming years and expansion of A-Spec sports variants to include all core models in the future.

"We have made a major commitment to Acura to bring each element of Precision Crafted Performance to life through a new generation of products," said Toshiaki Mikoshiba, president & CEO of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "Acura will pursue a unique powertrain strategy that underscores the brand's rightful place as the performance division of Honda." 

Building on the direction set forth by the the twin-turbocharged V6-powered NSX supercar, Acura will introduce a new V6 turbo powerplant. The new high-performance powerplant will be exclusive to the Acura lineup and will be paired with the latest generation of Acura Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®), which is launching in the new 2019 RDX.  The new Acura Turbo V6 will make its way into multiple products in the years ahead.

In addition, as part of its strengthening commitment to performance, Acura will bring back the much-heralded Type-S performance variant in the coming years. The Type-S badge last appeared on the 2008 Acura TL, which featured a track-tuned chassis, more powerful engine and brakes, high-performance tires and extensive, sports-oriented exterior and interior modifications.  Like the new engine, the Type-S badge will make its way onto multiple Acura models in the future.

Finally, based on the success of the V6 TLX A-Spec variant, launched in 2017, Acura will introduce A-Spec variants for every new core model in development, including a new 2.4-liter TLX A-Spec this spring and an A-Spec variant of the all-new 2019 RDX, which will launch with the rest of the all-new RDX lineup in mid-2018.  Acura's A-Spec badge first appeared on the 2004 TL sedan and currently appears on the Acura TLX and ILX sedans.

View full article

Interesting, so does this announcement as stated by the CEO mean that Acura is NOT to be considered a mid level luxury but a performance line of products above Honda? Makes one wonder if that means a 3rd name brand that is pure luxury could come out?

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I can't wait for a twin-turbo V6 in a front wheel drive sedan, that will be exiting, they will put the Lincoln MKZ on notice!    Because nothing screams performance more than front wheel drive.   Here is how sad Acura is at performance, the fastest version of the TLX, has the same 0-60 time as the slowest Mercedes GLS. 

Makes one wonder if it will be AWD only? <_< Have to agree that FWD, TTV6 makes no sense to me.

So at best, Acura is going to have the equivalent of a 2013 XTS V-Sport.  Way to move the needle Acura.  I bet the press release about SH-AWD and PAWS will leave out the 60/40 weight distribution.  Everyone has AWD, the difference with Lincoln or Acura is the chassis and weigh bias.

Edited by smk4565

15 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

So at best, Acura is going to have the equivalent of a 2013 XTS V-Sport.  Way to move the needle Acura.  I bet the press release about SH-AWD and PAWS will leave out the 60/40 weight distribution.  Everyone has AWD, the difference with Lincoln or Acura is the chassis and weigh bias.

Way to criticize car even before ANY details are announced besides the possible engine! Good job sir! :)

18 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Not every car needs to be about performance numbers and race car-like handling. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

True...typical driving is more stop and go around town or grinding along in traffic on the Shuto Expressways of Tokyo, rather than attacking the corners on the Panorama Highway going up and down Mt Haruna (like a Akina SpeedStars wannabe). 

20 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Others may have AWD, but Acura has between acronyms.  SH-AWD and PAWS. 

SH-AWD might be a silly name but it is vastly superior than most AWD systems currently on the market.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

True...typical driving is more stop and go around town or grinding along in traffic on the Shuto Expressways of Tokyo, rather than attacking the corners on the Panorama Highway going up and down Mt Haruna (like a Akina SpeedStars wannabe). 

Exactly why I said I'd take the E63 over the CTS-V. That's why there are different cars for different preferences. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

But Acura’s commercials and tag line say “Precision Crafted Performance”. They are stating Performance is their #1 attribute.  If they want to play that game then back it up, the RDX’s German competition has a 500 hp twin turbo V8.  And they don’t have rear drive so whatever horsepower they put in a TLX is pointless it will just be an over powered Accord.

Guest Fun Bobby

I recently turned in a TLX lease, and it was an excellent comfortable large-ish sub luxury sedan.  It was well balanced, but by no means a sports sedan.  I tend to feel "sport" more a function of the driving experience versus numbers.  My old 1997 318i felt like a sports sedan.

5 hours ago, smk4565 said:

But Acura’s commercials and tag line say “Precision Crafted Performance”. They are stating Performance is their #1 attribute.  If they want to play that game then back it up, the RDX’s German competition has a 500 hp twin turbo V8.  And they don’t have rear drive so whatever horsepower they put in a TLX is pointless it will just be an over powered Accord.

“Precision Crafted Performance”

Right there is the key to the fact that they are not going after the best performance with crazy HP, but Precision Crafted so more like a fine plastic surgery compared to gastric bypass.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Exactly why I said I'd take the E63 over the CTS-V. That's why there are different cars for different preferences. 

Exactly why I said I took a CTS-V over the E63. I wanna be able to drive my car at extreme limits and if necessary just put some snow tires on if Maryland gets a decent snow season for 2 days, yet still be able to drive at the limits when I want to for $20K less. Or.. like anyone else who has a CTS-V, E63AMG, M5/6, Lamborghini.. DRIVE THEIR SUV when it snows, because who in their right mind is out driving their $100K+ cars in ice and snow when they could afford a $100K+ car? I'll answer... about 3%.. because most who buy those cars don't even want to get rain on them let alone salt and fender bangers as a result of snow and ice

FWD based AWD performance is fine. It can be exhilarating as well. The slew of FWD only cars these days from everyone from GM, Ford, Honda, and Mazda could put a great deal of RWD vehicles on the truck with their handling.. Seriously. The recent Cruze RS I bought my daughter is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. The new Malibu my GF has is an awesome handler.. the Ford Fusion a friend has is no slouch..

No AWD or RWD needed. What makes it even more important to note about a system like Acura's SH-AWD  is that like so many other RWD biased systems.. it can send 100% of the power to one or more wheels based on the need.

If they execute well they can turn it around, look how drab the previous gen Civic and Accord were.   My bigger concern is when people spend 35k-65k, which I would assume is the price for most Acura vehicle sales, what percentage are performance oriented vehicles?  I'm thinking more than 70% are trucks and CUV's these days.

On 1/25/2018 at 4:27 PM, FAPTurbo said:

no one doubts that an fwd car can't be fun. it's that acura isn't fun and hasn't had a pulse since the TL's death. 

mercedes will sell you 'precision crafted performance' with their CLA... and so will these guys

Audi
Buick
Cadillac
Lincoln
Lexus
VW

Right, everyone craps on the CLA, which the CLA45 can dominate any Acura outside of the NSX.  Acura's so called "precision performance" can't even beat the bottom feeder Mercedes.  I am not buying FWD performance is on par with RWD.

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Right, everyone craps on the CLA, which the CLA45 can dominate any Acura outside of the NSX.  Acura's so called "precision performance" can't even beat the bottom feeder Mercedes.  I am not buying FWD performance is on par with RWD.

I can't imagine anyone cares about the CLA it other than a few odd M-B fanatics... the M-B fans I know dismiss the CLA as just an entry-level lease appliance. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, smk4565 said:

The bottom feeder Mercedes isn't starting at 50k like the CLA45 is. That's well into C Class territory and only 2 grand from E Class territory. I don't think that's an accurate way to word the CLA45 as a bottom feeder at 50k. The CLA250 is THE bottom feeder. 

CLA may dominate on a race track but it's tiny and cramped so it's give and take on what the buyer wants.  

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

CLA may dominate on a race track but it's tiny and cramped so it's give and take on what the buyer wants.  

but therein lies acura's problem... if a CLA is a little cramped or harsh, nearly everyone else has an entry-lux alternative with more space/comfort. 

acura's entire MO has been co-opted by everyone else. the only thing they have going is that their vehicles are based on honda's and people are asking why bother getting an Acura when a Honda can be optioned just as nicely and is potentially better. 

1 hour ago, FAPTurbo said:

but therein lies acura's problem... if a CLA is a little cramped or harsh, nearly everyone else has an entry-lux alternative with more space/comfort. 

How is that a problem for Acura? Acura has an ILX that is CLA sized. 

I'm not sure what you're saying here... 

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

How is that a problem for Acura? Acura has an ILX that is CLA sized. 

I'm not sure what you're saying here... 

because it's a) not really good compared to anyone else and b) you may as well just get a loaded civic

i'm saying acura sucks and doesn't offer anything that isn't already done better by someone else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

because it's a) not really good compared to anyone else and b) you may as well just get a loaded civic

i'm saying acura sucks and doesn't offer anything that isn't already done better by someone else

I doubt they are going to be releasing  type-s variants of their current dated lineup.. only new models as they arrive.