Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2018 Buick Regal Lot impression

Malibu 2.0 but with a hatch. 

I like, but the interior is no real step above apart from a little bit nicer console. 

Not a drop dead stunner. Like most of the new Buicks it just sort of fades in.

looks spacious at least. Overall I'd give styling a b for being inoffensive and incorporating the hatch very well.

It doesn't come off as 'premium' as much as it should.  

I hope to check it out asap. 

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

• Agree 2

I'm not happy with the latest bumper crop of fastback sedans that have next to nothing in the way of a horizontal surface on their trunk lids.  And this is yet another one.  I know that market research dictates this sort of stuff.  Or is it the whim of the designers who want to steer design trends?  I just don't like it. 

i don't really mind it when they do what they've done here and turn it into a hatchback.  All sedans now have virtually no trunk deck so why not just make these couplelike sedans into hatchbacks. 

Aerodynamics is one reason.  Sedans are substitutes for sports cars in the age of the crossover too.  So sedans are made to become 'sexy'.  

In the case of the Regal and so many other newer sedans, the greenhouse is stretched so far back now, there isn't a headroom or legroom penalty.  All that comes out of the length of the trunk.  So why not go the next step and turn them into 'low crossovers'.....

I think everyone is abandoning sedans as we know it, unfortunately.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

I checked out the TourX at NAIAS and also checked out the hatch at my local Buick dealer this last weekend.  I'm not normally big on green color cars but the Carageen Green looked quite sharp on the Regal.  Overall I quite liked it.  The one downside is the rear seat headroom is a bit lacking in the hatch but my kids are still pretty young so not a deal breaker at all for me.  I thought the lighter colored interior looked quite nice.

If I were to pull the trigger on one it would most likely be the TourX, though.  I'd to find out if you can pull the wheel well arch cladding off without there being any holes through the metal.  Again, not a deal breaker but would just prefer it without the cladding.  I'd probably stick to a black one if they don't come off but the example at the dealer was Rioja Red and it looked pretty good too.

The problem I have with these is how the options are set up.  You can't get leather as an option.  It is standard in the Essence trim and that is it.  IIRC it is the same with remote start.  Just some oddball stuff like that with the way their packages/options are set up.

• Agree 1

This Regal is very attractively priced, IMO.  And both the hatch and wagon have a ton of cargo room, at least on paper.  I like the green too, too bad it isn't available on the wagon.  I wonder what it would look like with a partial wood look wrap down the sides and on the liftgate.  :AH-HA:

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, 2QuickZ's said:

I checked out the TourX at NAIAS and also checked out the hatch at my local Buick dealer this last weekend.  I'm not normally big on green color cars but the Carageen Green looked quite sharp on the Regal.  Overall I quite liked it.  The one downside is the rear seat headroom is a bit lacking in the hatch but my kids are still pretty young so not a deal breaker at all for me.  I thought the lighter colored interior looked quite nice.

If I were to pull the trigger on one it would most likely be the TourX, though.  I'd to find out if you can pull the wheel well arch cladding off without there being any holes through the metal.  Again, not a deal breaker but would just prefer it without the cladding.  I'd probably stick to a black one if they don't come off but the example at the dealer was Rioja Red and it looked pretty good too.

The problem I have with these is how the options are set up.  You can't get leather as an option.  It is standard in the Essence trim and that is it.  IIRC it is the same with remote start.  Just some oddball stuff like that with the way their packages/options are set up.

At a minimum, the price of entry for remote start and heated seats is a bad fail for gm. But they know some folks can't live without it. What's stupid is you can get heated steering wheel but not heated seats. Buicks marketing folks need to be slapped upside the head with some of their package configurations on these cars. Really makes me think they don't want to sell cars sometimes. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, regfootball said:

At a minimum, the price of entry for remote start and heated seats is a bad fail for gm. But they know some folks can't live without it. What's stupid is you can get heated steering wheel but not heated seats. Buicks marketing folks need to be slapped upside the head with some of their package configurations on these cars. Really makes me think they don't want to sell cars sometimes. 

I don't expect a return to pricing options individually, as was the case some 20 years ago.  However, considering that they sell so many damn accessories via separate line items, I'd sure like to see power seats being offered as stand alone items on many entry level cars which already have power windows, power locks, and power mirrors as standard equipment.

The other thing I'd like to see is a lower priced security package instead of casting a much broader net called a "convenience package" ... and costing some one thousand dollars.  By a security package, I mean the trio of forward collision alert, lane departure alert, and rear traffic monitoring.  I'd opt for that.

I guess the Verano won't be coming back anytime soon.  They cite sales figures.  Given that the recently departed Verano was based on the last-gen Cruze, I can only imagine what a good car it could have been when built off the new Cruze platform and bumped up a few notches with Buick's better chassis tuning, insulation, and attention to detail.  I'm guessing Buick doesn't want to be associated with anything that starts out at under $25,000.

Edited by trinacriabob

7 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I guess the Verano won't be coming back anytime soon.  They cite sales figures.  Given that the recently departed Verano was based on the last-gen Cruze, I can only imagine what a good car it could have been when built off the new Cruze platform and bumped up a few notches with Buick's better chassis tuning, insulation, and attention to detail.  I'm guessing Buick doesn't want to be associated with anything that starts out at under $25,000.

Here is what would have been the second gen Verano (still available in China).

https://carnewschina.com/2015/06/24/this-is-the-new-2016-buick-verano-for-china/

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't expect a return to pricing options individually, as was the case some 20 years ago.  However, considering that they sell so many damn accessories via separate line items, I'd sure like to see power seats being offered as stand alone items on many entry level cars which already have power windows, power locks, and power mirrors as standard equipment.

The other thing I'd like to see is a lower priced security package instead of casting a much broader net called a "convenience package" ... and costing some one thousand dollars.  By a security package, I mean the trio of forward collision alert, lane departure alert, and rear traffic monitoring.  I'd opt for that.

I think the SV1 base trim Regal should allow a power drivers seat option.    Ok so later i am going to type here and tell Buick how they should have packaged the Insignia here for sale in the US

Saw my first live Wagon TourX today.. just sitting outside.  Its not really much higher than the sportback.  And the cladding looks.......like cladding........

4 hours ago, frogger said:

https://carnewschina.com/2015/06/24/this-is-the-new-2016-buick-verano-for-china/

I think they should have kept this new Verano for US but it does look a little Hyundaish....... just like the LaCrosse does....

• Agree 1

I would think power seats would be standard on a Buick...manual seats are like a Malibu rental spec feature...just something that screams cheapassery..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I'm checking them out on the Buick site again and it really is weird how they have them set up.  It's not even consistent between Sportback and TourX because TourX does not have the Preferred II trim.  TourX if you want a heated wheel you have to get an Essence which also includes heated leather seats as standard.  In the Sportback, the heated steering wheel is standard on the Preferred II trim but since it is still cloth seats, no heated seats.  Not a deal breaker for me because I happen to think you don't need heat with cloth but still odd.  Same with leather only available on the top trim.  Usually it is at least an option on the mid level trims.

It's basically like they didn't adjust the trims, packages and options for the American market.  Oh, and you like Sirius XM radio?  That appears to only available in a package with the 8" Nav radio in a $1000 - $1800 depending on trim.  It's hard to say, though, because the website isn't real clear.  A full color driver information display is included in that same package.  I guess you get LCD dot matrix style on the lower trims?  I guess they really do want it to be like Saab!

You like adaptive cruise, lane keep and automatic braking?  You better like the Essence trim because it isn't available on anything lower than that.  You also better want to spend $2,670 to get it.  It's part of the Driver Confidence II package which of course means you have to also get Driver Confidence I package.

Let's hope some different option configurations come in later in the model year or for 2019 at the latest.  I would be most likely to get an Essence anyway but it would be a shame for them to lose sales over their odd configuration choices.

Buick really screwed the pooch with trims.

Heated seats and cloth is more and more necessary and common.  Ford for many years has been offering 'northland edition' packages on it's lowest models, Focus, Escape, Fusion etc. where heated seats and remote start and even heated mirrors for a dirt cheap upgrade on SE's and SEL's and then often they give a package discount that makes it nearly free sometimes.

Apart from SV1 trim I feel heated seats and remote start and XM should be standard on all Buicks.

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2018 at 1:40 PM, frogger said:

Thanks.  I wish they offered it here.  I tend to get edgy when there's a model I really like ... and I'm not in the market.  I've told myself that, when I will in the market, there WILL be a model that I will like.  That's what happened when the Olds Intrigue was released in '98.  I wanted that car badly.  I wasn't ready.  Ten years later, I bought the LaCrosse ... on the same chassis and with essentially the same engine.

As for this new Chinese Verano ...

Pluses

- attractive silhouette; obvious family resemblance to the Cruze platform

- nice attention to detail inside and nice stitching on the seats; must mention that the seats on the outgoing Verano were fantastic to look at, to seat in for extended periods, etc.

- rear fascia makes it look like a baby LaCrosse

- opera window type set up embedded in the C-pillar as seen from the inside

Minuses

- don't like such vertical grilles on small(er) cars; it should taper back some

- from the side view, the tail lamps look like those of a Hyundai Accent as they wrap around

- I don't like the dash ... it looks dated, boring, and has become the current Buick boilerplate ... I really liked the more vertical look in the last gen Verano and Regal with the defined center stack

I like it more than I do the 2018 Regal.

I don't know if it's possible to pull up the packaging, as in "build and price," for the departed Verano.  I could have sworn that the most basic Verano came with a 4 way adjustable seat and that power came via one of the most basic packages.  Not sure.  However, yes, it should be standard on Buicks.  A good way to tell might be to look at the order specs for an Encore, though I didn't do that.

Reg, you are right in that, even though FoMoCo is after GM for me, they group their options more sensibly.  On the Focus, you can get just the power seat or just the door combination code thing on the SE.  You can also get a fairly minimal and minimally priced cold weather package.  On the Cruze, you can't get the power seat by itself.  Not only that, you have to go up to the Premier level on the Cruze to get the leather wrapped wheel.  You should at least be able to opt for that on the LT level trim, if not have it be standard.  People who like cloth seats might still want a leather wrapped steering wheel.  If in a blistering or frigid climate, I don't want leather seats.

• Agree 1

fans of the current Regal... (2017)

many stores are now advertisting prices suggesting 9,000-10,000 or more off sticker.  some close to 12 grand off sticker

lots of rebates!

not lying, seeing some advertised on Autotrader under 20 grand.  they can't all be demos.

I'll plug my old boss and friend's dealership here....  http://www.applechevroletbuick.com/new/Buick/2017-Buick-Regal-79500df30a0e0a6b0cf40ddbcc7826ff.htm

Edited by regfootball

Those are nifty prices.  The 2017 Regals should be flying off the lots, even at around $20K.  They are nice cars.  I am wondering if there is some fine print that's not evident.

I've actually driven one and not even known it.  It was an Opel Insignia, and across the pond.  The photos aren't great because they are just the walk around photos I tend to take at the beginning and end of a rental.  They had run out of Smarts and small Fiats with automatics, so I got upgraded to this.  Never have I been upgraded this far up the food chain when in Europe.

The character line is the same as that of the small(er) Buick here.

IMG_3334.JPG.61b404c5d5e514ee42a7a6db3555ba38.JPG

The dash is much the same and so is the nice but boilerplate GM steering wheel layout.

IMG_3341.JPG.92202dfe8a9b8e804b734d387e0bf25b.JPG

This one is not very clear but you can see the center stack.  Even though I like the center stack on the Verano a lot, I like this one (without the faux wood applique) better.

WP_000283.thumb.jpg.3540946084b3a49dc5d5e2cb81de8c9c.jpg

This was a nice way to motor around the countryside of the boot country for 3 days at an econobox price.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

During a recent oil change, I was able to see the new Regal.  There were quite a few of them on the lot.  And there were a fair number of 2017s, too.

I like the new front grille tying it to the flagship LaCrosse.  It's old school and modern at the same time, so it's clever.  It is flanked by 2017 Regals at the side and at the back.

IMG_2018-02-03_11-13-56.thumb.jpeg.7dc5f5d47723674ecfdbc736c846cdc8.jpeg

As for the short rear deck lid .... no ... not for me ...

IMG_2018-02-03_11-15-45.thumb.jpeg.d2ac1d6edbc6a0b73214f9d4d94e280e.jpeg

• Agree 1

Nice..was the Insignia a diesel?  I drove a diesel Vectra back in '04 around northern Italy.   My southern Italy rental in '03 was a Mercedes A140 diesel. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Nice..was the Insignia a diesel?  I drove a diesel Vectra back in '04 around northern Italy.   My southern Italy rental in '03 was a Mercedes A140 diesel. 

Something tells me that it was.  But then, it was super quiet inside, especially at highway cruise.  I don't remember if the gas door said "gasoleo" (diesel) or not (I could hunt for more photos).  I will add that the 6 speed transmission was silky smooth.  Never have I driven anything that American (or Germanic) in Italy.  It was small enough to scoot around their archaic roads and squeeze through old towns.  I even had to stop for sheep that had decided to take ownership of a country road.

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Something tells me that it was.  But then, it was super quiet inside, especially at highway cruise.  I don't remember if the gas door said "gasoleo" (diesel) or not (I could hunt for more photos).  I will add that the 6 speed transmission was silky smooth.  Never have I driven anything that American (or Germanic) in Italy.  It was small enough to scoot around their archaic roads and squeeze through old towns.  I even had to stop for sheep that had decided to take ownership of a country road.

Fun...one of my memorable Italian drives was along the Amalfi Coast...., had to stop in a line of cars waiting on a tour bus to navigate around upcoming corners on the narrow cliff road... got lost in Sorrento, had to back out of an alley that was too narrow for the A-class; scraped mirrors with a car passing in the opposite direction on the Amalfi Coast road....

• Agree 1

my scoping it out this weekend.....

the interior is a -bit- of an upgrade from the cousin Malibu, and yes it makes a difference, but they really could have made the Regal interior more premium in places.  The dashtop is a nicer quality and texture.  The screen and how it pops out from the dahs is more interesting.  The insert part of the door panels is nicer but the upper and lower is the same.  The seat leather actually feels like an upgrade over the Malibu but at the same time it doesn't feel lavish.  I thought the seats would be clones but the TourX i sat in the seats had some aggressive side bolstering in that it made the seat feel really narrow to my wide Amerchan butt.  Passenger room and space and seat placement is more or less identical apart from the nice 40/20/40 split on the folding seat.

I sort of dug the shifter, and i didnt think i would like the 1 big cupholder aft of the shifter and 2 in front of the climate control with the door....but i think i would like that arrangement compared to my Malibu with the cupholders to the side of the shifter.

The cargo area for the wagon IMO is trimmed out nicely and it makes for a long cargo area but honestly since its limited to the space between wheel wells it does not feel large.

And strange enough to say, but even with the long greenhouse, the rake of the rear window does not make the rear cargo area feel cavernous much more than the sportback.  Some folks will benefit from wagon vs. sportback..... but i think the bigger benefit to cargo flexibility here is the low floor and how the folding seat works in the Sportback.  What i mean is i think you get good flexibility and utility in both....so the benefit to the wagon then is a bit more headroom in the back part of the cargo area but it doesn't maybe add as much space as you think.

The other thing that really reinforced with me, the wagon is only marginally higher than the sportback.  The wagon is a wagon.... so the attempt to put the cladding on it but not raise the height much is kind of puzzling.  The cladding butches it up to give the SUV impression without the height.  So if i envision (sorry bout the pun) the wagon without the cladding, and not in GS trim, i can understand where you could think it to have a bland, eggy, nerdy, unexciting side profile....without the cladding.  The cladding offsets the slablike sides to some degree.  If you don't have the cladding, the wagon REALLY needs the GS treatment to not look dull...

Glad the wagon has a power hatch.

I am on the fence......ask me last week and i would say i was more interested in the wagon.  Ask me now and I think the sportback is the way to go....and probably the GS for the v6.  So GM where is my TURBO v6?????  And can we amp up the interior some and get it closer to 'premium'?  Some more interesting materials and textures and such would help.

image.png

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

Yeah, it's just raised wheel arch trim..similar to the Allroad and others.looking at photos, they seem to have an odd tab like shape at the top center? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding the lot impression of the Regal, I have now gotten to sit in one.  And my verdict is NO.  I just did this the other day.

I looked to my rear.  I thought I was in the wagon for a second.  No, it was the sportback.  Check out the thickness of the rear pillar.  It was over the top, with a thick pillar and a roof line that comes down very low.  I always ask myself, "Would I like driving this sled (insert name of car) around in rush hour traffic in Manhattan?"  As for the trunk, it's huge.  And becomes more so when you fold down the seat.

There is also the new dash.  It's a wash with me.  I liked the previous one just fine.  This new one is more horizontal and shares its styling cues with the bigger LaCrosse.  However, for being a smaller car, the console is, again, too high.  The car also does not have a remote fuel door release, yet a Hyundai Accent does!  What's the problem here?

I have no doubt the road manners will be great - refined, supple, sporty, etc.  However, this isn't the car for me.  Buick has gotten farther and farther away from what suits my automotive needs.

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What's the story on the remote fuel door release? Is this something people actually vocalize they prefer over not having it be remote?
One of my wife's past cars had it, always found it an annoyance (and we don't pump our own in NJ).

Oregon used to require having your gas pumped everywhere, but due to the hardship of finding people willing to work for a low wage in the rural areas of Oregon, they have changed to pump your own gas. Only in the major cities do they still pump your gas and that is to phase out in 2020. I have to wonder how long before NJ will follow the rest of the country and go to pump your own gas?

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What's the story on the remote fuel door release? Is this something people actually vocalize they prefer over not having it be remote?
One of my wife's past cars had it, always found it an annoyance (and we don't pump our own in NJ).

A locking fuel door makes sense if you have a concern of people stealing your gas when parked (or vandals or enemies putting sand, concrete mix, birdseed, etc in your tank).   My Jeep has a locking fuel door (took me a while to remember to push the button--I was so used to my old one not having one), and I have a capless fuel filler also.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Our Malibu and Pacifica now. U just push the fuel filler cap down and it unclicks to open up. Lots of cars have capless fuller now also. When done filling you just click it closed. No cap lock as far as I know. 

Agree with this, I understand the remote gas lid was valuable when Fuel was expensive and people would sifen your gas out, but cheap fuel and change to hybrids, I just have not heard of people stealing gas that would require the added cost of a remote fuel cover.

5 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Our Malibu and Pacifica now. U just push the fuel filler cap down and it unclicks to open up. Lots of cars have capless fuller now also. When done filling you just click it closed. No cap lock as far as I know. 

Do you mean push down the fuel filler door instead?   Mercedes had fuel filler doors like that 30+ years ago...push in on the door, and they pop open (but the filler cap under it was threaded on). 

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Do you mean push down the fuel filler door instead?   Mercedes had fuel filler doors like that 30+ years ago...push in on the door, and they pop open (but the filler cap under it was threaded on). 

True, but today's modern take is where the door is also the seal to the tank, no more fuel cap. Just push down and it pops open and you fuel up. Then reseal by click it back in place. Ford Flex was the first auto that I know of that had a fuel door seal, designed by their female engineers as a better way to fuel so you did not have to touch a dirty fuel cap.

Just now, dfelt said:

True, but today's modern take is where the door is also the seal to the tank, no more fuel cap. Just push down and it pops open and you fuel up. Then reseal by click it back in place. Ford Flex was the first auto that I know of that had a fuel door seal, designed by their female engineers as a better way to fuel so you did not have to touch a dirty fuel cap.

I know about the capless systems--my Jeep has one, but you don't call a door a cap..

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I know about the capless systems--my Jeep has one, but you don't call a door a cap..

Got it, cap versus door naming. True a Fuel Door on the auto. Yet thinking about this, is it really a door or a cap. I can see how younger people who have not been into auto's would see it as a lockless cap to fuel the auto. Hmm :scratchchin:

Just now, dfelt said:

Got it, cap versus door naming. True a Fuel Door on the auto. Yet thinking about this, is it really a door or a cap. I can see how younger people who have not been into auto's would see it as a lockless cap to fuel the auto. Hmm :scratchchin:

In car terminology, i think of a cap as a rounded threaded thingy like an oil filler cap, gas cap, tire valve stem cap, etc.   While a door is a hinged panel.   Maybe 'fuel system refill access panel' would a better description...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

In car terminology, i think of a cap as a rounded threaded thingy like an oil filler cap, gas cap, tire valve stem cap, etc.   While a door is a hinged panel.   Maybe 'fuel system refill access panel' would a better description...

Agree, in today's 21st century world, I like your term:

"Fuel System Refill Access Panel" :metal: 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Guess in Short:

"Fuel Panel" :scratchchin:

19 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A locking fuel door makes sense if you have a concern of people stealing your gas when parked (or vandals or enemies putting sand, concrete mix, birdseed, etc in your tank).   My Jeep has a locking fuel door (took me a while to remember to push the button--I was so used to my old one not having one), and I have a capless fuel filler also.

This.

I grew up around L.A.  A lot of kids were up to no good.  I don't need a locking gas cap.  However, I want a remotely operated fuel filler door.

The Hyundai Accent has the tiny lever on the floor, right to the left of the front seat, along with the rear trunk release tab.  It's more nicely placed on the Charger.  It's low on the door, near the map pockets, and slightly rearward. 

So, no "cap" is fine.  However, locking "door" is required ... for me.

Edited by trinacriabob