Mercedes-Benz USA reports January sales of 25,307

Feb 1, 2018 – ATLANTA: Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported January sales of 25,307 units, compared to 25,527 vehicles sold during the same period last year. Mercedes-Benz Vans reported best-ever January sales with 2,191 units (up 6.9%) and smart reported 105 units, bringing the MBUSA grand total to 27,603 vehicles for the month.

"On the heels of our second year as the leading luxury brand, January highlights included strong results for the S-Class and GLC model lines," said Dietmar Exler, president and CEO of MBUSA. "We expect this momentum will continue by virtue of an outstanding product lineup, a dedicated team, a committed dealer network and a laser focus on the customer experience."

Mercedes-Benz volume leaders in January included the GLC, C-Class and E-Class (including the CLS) model lines. The GLC took the lead at 4,793, followed by C-Class sales of 4,419. The E-Class rounded out the top three with 4,099 units sold.

Mercedes-AMG high-performance models sold 2,454 units in January, compared to 2,596 vehicles sold last January.

Low month for the C-class, but Mercedes was #1 selling luxury brand.    I feel like they don't even advertise AMG that much not to the masses anyway, but the car people know what they are, so I guess they just rely on the people reading car magazines to buy them.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Mercedes trademarked S73, SL73, G73 and GLS73, so get ready for the next level.

Great, another set of unimpressive makes no sense letter/numbered auto's. Auto's only a badge snob would buy as they are anything but Standard of the world.

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Great, another set of unimpressive makes no sense letter/numbered auto's. Auto's only a badge snob would buy as they are anything but Standard of the world.

It makes total sense, S73 is faster than S63.  They did make an SL73 limited edition in the 90s with the 7.3 liter V12 that became the Pagani Zonda engine.   The 73 series is going to have an 800 hp hybrid system, I’d say that makes them the standard.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

It makes total sense, S73 is faster than S63.  They did make an SL73 limited edition in the 90s with the 7.3 liter V12 that became the Pagani Zonda engine.   The 73 series is going to have an 800 hp hybrid system, I’d say that makes them the standard.

Other than you who lives and breaths MB, put yourself in the shoes of the average consumer. Other than a badge snob who feels MB is the best in the world and must have it just because the number is bigger they might think it is better.

Everyone else, S73, S83, S93, S103, etc...............

What does it really tell you about the auto? NOTHING!

You and I both know the future is changing to be Hybrid and EV, so this becomes even more important as a person who DOES NOT know MB in detail cannot tell if this is a car, SUV, CUV, Van or Truck. They cannot tell if it is a coupe with 2 or 4 doors, cannot tell what propels the auto, etc. etc. etc.

This is the problem all automakers have brought on themselves with this stupid letter/number label that gives no info about the product.

Many have all said we have lost our passion and distinctness in auto design, they all look the same more or less. This brings labeling of the auto to an even more important point.

Ask a person what a G-Wagon or Escalade is and they know these are the top SUVs in MB and Cadillac auto lineup. Can the same be said for the letter/number mess?

I do not think so.

I think it pretty obvious, if you have a G63 and a G73, that the G73 is the more powerful engine.   That probably makes more sense than Camaro SS, Z28, ZL1, in which those model designations could be used in any order.  The number designation though is less important to what is under the hood, when you talk about an 800 hp GLS compared to a 420 hp Escalade or 450 hp Navigator or 600 hp Urus.

17 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

At one time, they did designate liters.  Like the original 6.3, 6.9, etc.   today, though 73 > 63. 

And it still tells me nothing about the type of auto it is. :P 

The S63 and S73 both have a 4 liter engine, so they can't use liters as a way to identify a car.  Similarly, the E400, E43, E53, would all be 3 liters.  When you add electric power it muddies those waters, so this is the easiest way to do it, they made an E43 and C43 in the past with a 4.3 V8, so really they just brought back an old name with different displacement.  

The important thing is they are pushing the engineering limits on the higher tier cars, we could get a GLS that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds, that gets better gas mileage than a V6 Traverse, and that seems crazy and pointless, but the fact that it is possible is exciting.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

550 doesn't have AMG in name, though.   So AMG 65 > 550. 

See, that's confusing and counter to the so-called 'system'. Just think if it was E65 < AMG 550!
Daimler juggled their vehicle designations recently; they missed the boat on switching them up so they made some sort of numerical sense. To kindergartners and others learning to count.

39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

See, that's confusing and counter to the so-called 'system'. Just think if it was E65 < AMG 550!
Daimler juggled their vehicle designations recently; they missed the boat on switching them up so they made some sort of numerical sense. To kindergartners and others learning to count.

They trademarked other names so there is some rumor that they may change the C300 to C30, E300 to E30, etc so that regular models end with a 0 and AMG models end with a 3.  Although that could be just for certain markets or maybe they won't do it at all. I think it dumb to change it, they already have Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Maybach, Mercedes-AMG to separate the model designations and people are already used to it.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, dfelt said:

What does it really tell you about the auto? NOTHING!

What vehicle's name does tell you anything about the auto? 

Bolt and Volt, Land Rover as a brand but not their individual models.. Maybe add Wrangler and Tacoma..That's about it.  CT6 really lets you know what the vehicle is and so does Camaro, right? Let me guess, F150 and Camry just scream a description of the vehicle? 

On 2/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, balthazar said:

Germans triplets seems to believe naming systems have to be dumbed down to a mental hospital level in order for consumers to work their way thru the 90 different model designations.

+ Cadillac

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Absolutely correct, tho that is far more recent and no where near as expansive. Still holding out hope for a return to a catalog of unrelated names, rather than a 'system' for toddlers.

The only reason it isn't as expansive is they don't have a lineup to fill with alphanumeric lingo. 

I wonder if they're keeping a close eye on what Lincoln is doing with their name changes seeing if it drives talk up more about the brand or not. 

Vehicles naming, while us enthusiasts pay attention to it, will never discourage a buyer from a vehicle. Most will just go to a lot and say "I want that one" on a luxury brand's lot. So while they might be a jumbled mess, I don't think that will actually stop or discourage anybody from buying them. 

50 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The only reason it isn't as expansive is they don't have a lineup to fill with alphanumeric lingo. 

I wonder if they're keeping a close eye on what Lincoln is doing with their name changes seeing if it drives talk up more about the brand or not. 

Vehicles naming, while us enthusiasts pay attention to it, will never discourage a buyer from a vehicle. Most will just go to a lot and say "I want that one" on a luxury brand's lot. So while they might be a jumbled mess, I don't think that will actually stop or discourage anybody from buying them. 

Not so sure about your statement on names, social media is making names more relevant than in the past and Prius has had that affect, Escalade also has had that effect.

My gut tells me that Marketing is going to have to pay attention to names the more people follow stupid social media.

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not so sure about your statement on names, social media is making names more relevant than in the past and Prius has had that affect, Escalade also has had that effect.

My gut tells me that Marketing is going to have to pay attention to names the more people follow stupid social media.

I don't think Mercedes is hurting because of their naming system. You might not like it but they're extremely successful and not hurting. 

But what IS a Prius or an Escalade? You said the alphanumeric jibberish doesn't describe anything about what the vehicle is but what the hell do some of these names mean? 

I don't think this describes what the Escalade is at all. 

Escalade.PNG

31 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think Mercedes is hurting because of their naming system. You might not like it but they're extremely successful and not hurting. 

But what IS a Prius or an Escalade? You said the alphanumeric jibberish doesn't describe anything about what the vehicle is but what the hell do some of these names mean? 

I don't think this describes what the Escalade is at all. 

Escalade.PNG

My friend you're getting too literal now, People resonate with names better than abbreviations.

If abbreviations resonated so well then Unix / Linux and the bloody CLI would be king rather than the GUI and how people go apple or windows for the bulk of users.

Talk to the average peep and they remember G-Wagon, Escalade, Prius, but ask them about a GLS, ELR, etc. and people draw a blank.

All I am saying is that names resonate better with people than alphanumeric mess we have on automakers cars.

Sorry, what you said, "What does it really tell you about the auto? NOTHING!" I thought you actually meant those words.  

If its just brand/name equity you speak of, then again, the C, E, and S Classes have been around longer than anything Cadillac has branded.

They still know the C, E, and S Class as they've built equity in sticking with a system. They've jumbled the other numbers/letters around to make it confusing but a the core of it they've still C, E, and S. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

V6 otherwise perfection because that’s a pretty car. #FordGTProblems

I also tried to squeeze one of these into my Dream Garage that @Frisky Dingo made but couldn't swing it with its price. 

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings