Dream Car Garage- ATP Used Car Edition

Okay, you probably all knew this one was coming. Yep, we're doing used cars this time.

The eternal debate of new vs used will continue to rage, but there's no denying there are bombshell deals on the used market. Cars today depreciate faster than ever, and it puts awesome cars in tangible reach for a lot of enthusiasts. Whether you want a once 6 figure mega lux sedan, or an overlooked performance car that is a hidden gem, they are out there.

Rules are simple-

1) USED cars only, must be 2017 MY or older.

2) Maximum of five choices.

3) These are your only vehicles.

4) Choices must be realistic. No crazy low priced scam listings, salvage title cars, etc. Car should be relatively easily found for the price point in question.

5) Any era and market vehicle is okay. So if you can find an imported R32 or whatever for the cost cap, knock yourself out.

6) Price cap is, as before- $36,495.

Have fun! 

23 hours ago, ykX said:

1. C6 Z06

11567752.1512527859774.CA4094F3237046018

2.  Chevy SS

5b8af0e4c98a373def7e6ddd666.jpg

5.  Either 2013 Boss 302 or newer Mustang GT premium with perf. package

47e96bd0c9008d9b05d0104e3862b4d0.jpg

I'm right there with you on a few of those! I was thinking about the rest of my list this morning and all of them came up but I think I'd sadly pass on the SS if I'm going to have a VSport Caddy, personally.

Z06, Boss 302, and SS. 

Well, I definitely found something to replace the Durango with... 4Runner TRD Pro. I know I wouldn't be able to get it in this badass blue because that's a 2018 color but it can be had used for under the budget for a 2015 TRD Pro. 

Because I know damn well my Mustang will be more of a 1/4 mile car than a corner carver I'll take a brutal 2012 GT500 for that. 

Last but not least... I feel like I need to have one of these in my garage or I'd regret life. 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra. 

4Runner TRD.jpg

2012 GT500.jpg

Termi.jpg

• Agree 1

1) Cadillac CTS-V wagon - these suckers have held their value very well.  Still #1 on my wish list.  Would prefer a manual trans but they tend to sell for significantly more than the autos do.  Begger's can't be choosers.

2) Cadillac CTS-V Sport - very likely to have one of these parked in my garage come summer.

3) Saab 9-4X Aero - I really can't believe how well these have held their value compared to other Saabs.  I know it isn't a Saab in the truest sense but I think they are cool.

4) 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero - Okay, I am a bit of a Saab-o-file.  My 2007 9-5 Aero was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned.  How could this not be even better?

5) 1991 GMC Syclone - Like this one only a really clean driver so I could enjoy it.  You rarely, rarely see these.  Truthfully, this is #1 on my list, even above the CTS-V Wagon.  I've always loved these things and still hope to have one some day.  My problem now that I've gotten older is that I want my toys to be my daily driver because I got tired of my daily driver being parked out side while the barely driven toy took the spot in the garage.  If I ever get a house with a 3 car garage, this will be the first remodel the house gets. :D

If you give me a sixth, it would be a Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe, again, because of the rarity.  Not so much because it was an awesome car.  As you can see from my list, I like the oddballs.  That being said, they are all relatively easy to find on the market right now other than the 9-4X Aero.

That CTS-V Sport looks like it has been ridden hard and put away wet. I would be careful as I saw the shattered center screen but also enough wear that who ever was the previous owner is a I do not care, lease, use it, abuse it and trade it back in. Even with the so called cleaning, that auto has considerable wear which makes me think the past lease owner was not only dirty but had high acid in their sweat due to the wear of symbols on dash, steering wheel and shifter.

Could be a good deal or it could be a money pit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2QuickZ's said:

1) Cadillac CTS-V wagon - these suckers have held their value very well.  Still #1 on my wish list.  Would prefer a manual trans but they tend to sell for significantly more than the autos do.  Begger's can't be choosers.

2) Cadillac CTS-V Sport - very likely to have one of these parked in my garage come summer.

3) Saab 9-4X Aero - I really can't believe how well these have held their value compared to other Saabs.  I know it isn't a Saab in the truest sense but I think they are cool.

4) 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero - Okay, I am a bit of a Saab-o-file.  My 2007 9-5 Aero was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned.  How could this not be even better?

5) 1991 GMC Syclone - Like this one only a really clean driver so I could enjoy it.  You rarely, rarely see these.  Truthfully, this is #1 on my list, even above the CTS-V Wagon.  I've always loved these things and still hope to have one some day.  My problem now that I've gotten older is that I want my toys to be my daily driver because I got tired of my daily driver being parked out side while the barely driven toy took the spot in the garage.  If I ever get a house with a 3 car garage, this will be the first remodel the house gets. :D

If you give me a sixth, it would be a Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe, again, because of the rarity.  Not so much because it was an awesome car.  As you can see from my list, I like the oddballs.  That being said, they are all relatively easy to find on the market right now other than the 9-4X Aero.

Love your list of Auto's and the garage kept beauty of the GMC Syclone. That is an awesome find. The perfect stable mate to go with the Syclone is the Typhoon from GMC. :metal: 

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I didn't notice the cracked screen but even if that were $1500 it's still super cheap for that car. 

You can get a replacement screen unit for $497.00
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-display-unit-22809317

@ccap41

My 5 used auto's would be as follows:

1994 GMC Yukon GT Maroon

1993 GMC Typhoon Garnet Red

1991 GMC Syclone Black

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aero Maroon

1971 Buick Skylark Custom Grand Sport Convertible

Optional that I would also take in place of the Buick Skylark would be a 1971 Buick Riviera Grand Sport

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@ccap41

My 5 used auto's would be as follows:

1994 GMC Yukon GT Maroon

1993 GMC Typhoon Garnet Red

1991 GMC Syclone Black

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aero Maroon

1971 Buick Skylark Custom Grand Sport Convertible

Optional that I would also take in place of the Buick Skylark would be a 1971 Buick Riviera Grand Sport

Remember, those are your only vehicles per the rules!

But that's a pretty gnarly list! How many of those would be retrofitted with an EV powertrain? 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Remember, those are your only vehicles per the rules!

But that's a pretty gnarly list! How many of those would be retrofitted with an EV powertrain? 

2 for sure, I would have no problem retro fitting the Monte Carlo SS or the GMC Yukon GT with an AWD EV Powertrain. I would even consider the Skylark or Riviera though I am sure balthazar would smack me. :P 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, ccap41 said:

Well, I definitely found something to replace the Durango with... 4Runner TRD Pro. I know I wouldn't be able to get it in this badass blue because that's a 2018 color but it can be had used for under the budget for a 2015 TRD Pro. 

Because I know damn well my Mustang will be more of a 1/4 mile car than a corner carver I'll take a brutal 2012 GT500 for that. 

Last but not least... I feel like I need to have one of these in my garage or I'd regret life. 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra. 

4Runner TRD.jpg

2012 GT500.jpg

Termi.jpg

If the price is right on the 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, pay to have it painted that 2018 color :D 

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

If the price is right on the 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, pay to have it painted that 2018 color :D 

Very true but I have this weird feeling it would not be the right price..lol Good quality OE paint job taking trim and everything out so you'd never know is probably like a 15k job. But I guess if I don't have a vehicle payment..might as well! 

@Frisky Dingo where's your list?!?! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

That CTS-V Sport looks like it has been ridden hard and put away wet. I would be careful as I saw the shattered center screen but also enough wear that who ever was the previous owner is a I do not care, lease, use it, abuse it and trade it back in. Even with the so called cleaning, that auto has considerable wear which makes me think the past lease owner was not only dirty but had high acid in their sweat due to the wear of symbols on dash, steering wheel and shifter.

Could be a good deal or it could be a money pit.

I didn't look that ad over too closely as I was just posting an example.  If I wind up buying one, it will be much cleaner than that one.  I agree after looking at the pictures that one looks like it could have had some odometer tampering.  At the very least it did not have the most caring owner.

On a side note, it is pretty easy to find a clean one in the $28k-32k range with 40k miles or less.  I've been eyeballing them for months now.  If the right one at the right price turns up locally, I may jump on it.

• Agree 1

There are a surprisingly large number of them on the market at the moment.  Last summer when I was checking there were only a few.  There is probably close to a dozen now.  Here are a couple more Syclones for those that are as enamored with them as I am!

$25,900 - California

$19,900 - California

$79,995 - Arizona Ultra Rare Marlboro edition

$18,000 - Colorado

• Agree 1

I am going to play grumpy old man here.  Enjoying the freedom of just one car in my personal life...so just three here.

Golf R current gen.

Nicely equippped Wrangler current gen with a few mods maybe wheel and tire upgrade.

Nicest used Cadillac CTS I can find.

Ok, checked Auto Trader for local/semi-local used cars at $36k or less....

I kept the list realistic and late model, didn't really want older cars to have to deal with (that could be a separate list).  I wanted cars recent w/ low miles that I could drive a lot...a Jeep for the practicality and winter use, the Challenger and Chevy SS for fun (picked the SS over a Charger for it's uncommon uniqueness),  a CTS for a modern comfy luxury sedan (it and the Jeep would alternate as daily drivers).  The last choice was hard--I wanted a sports car, something small and nimble and a convertible.  I thought about a Miata (I do like them--they are on my other DCG-MSRP lists), but I've long liked the Boxster, esp. in S form.  a modern Porsche in it's simplest and purest form.   Great handling for those weekend trips south toward the Ohio River..

Except for the Jeep, these aren't necessarily the colors I would want, but what I could find w/ a quick search on Auto Trader.

1  '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 34k miles        $34,000

2. '15 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack manual  15k miles $33598

3. '15 Chevy SS   manual          34k miles,  $30500

4. '16 Cadillac CTS      18k miles, blue $34800

5. '10 Porsche Boxster S  manual  31k miles, $34000

'

d448244858164317a11bb6e944df836c.jpg

1692edd42a1b415392da0b2fc593de56.jpg

b4f73f04b07147efae524d6601f3d9ba.jpg

43600480753.469718736.IM1.MAIN.720x960_A.960x720.jpg

bc224eae7681487aa97d4c0690882ca2.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar