• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Chevrolet News:Sales of Chevrolet Bolts Rise Due To Model 3 Delays, Tax Credit Concerns

Tesla's production hell seems to be only getting worse than better. Various issues at their Freemont plant has caused the automaker to push back their goal of producing 5,000 Model 3s from late last year to June of this year. This, in turn, has caused some holders of Model 3 reservations to have their order pushed back to 2019.

“As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window,” Tesla said in an email to customers.

According to Bloomberg, the new date depends on when the reservation was placed and what model was chosen. Tesla is trying to get the more expensive long-range battery model out first before starting production of the cheaper standard battery model. This has buyers of the latter model worried as they might not get the full $7,500 tax credit. The credit begins to phase out once an automaker has built 200,000, something Tesla expects to hit sometime this year.

The move has caused some reservation holders to take to various forums and Twitter to complain. Others are deciding to jump ship and buy a Chevrolet Bolt. Reuters reports that Chevrolet dealers in California are seeing a noticeable increase of Tesla shoppers interested in the Bolt.

“We’re getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3. We ask them, ‘What other cars are you interested in?’ They’re mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don’t want to wait,” said Yev Kaplinskiy of Stewart Chevrolet.

Kaplinskiy said they sold 15 Bolts last weekend.

Chevrolet is taking advantage of the delay by emailing some prospective buyers this week with the message of, “Bolt EV: Now available.”

Source: Bloomberg, Reuters

View full article

• Thanks 2

Tesla is really good at designing cars, really good at marketing cars, terrible at producing cars.  And this is Tesla's chance to cash in, they need to get that production line at full speed, before everyone else enters the market. 

Any more delays past June and I think Tesla will have officially shot themselves in the foot long term.

Benefit is that Chevy is going to win over some skeptics who will find the BOLT to be every bit as good if not better than the Tesla 3.

Tesla's 'worn soap' look is already long in the tooth from the Model S, by the time the Model 3 fills 20% of it's pre-orders, the design will be a decade old.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Tesla's 'worn soap' look is already long in the tooth from the Model S, by the time the Model 3 fills 20% of it's pre-orders, the design will be a decade old.

So totally agree and perfect analogy, a worn bar of soap is exactly what the car looks like. Tesla is a patent / powertrain win for who ever eventually buys them, right now their best bet is what they have started to do which is sell the Powertrain via EV conversion shops like EV West who will sell and install it for you into your auto or just sell you the package for doing it yourself.

Took a look @ EV West's site; they'll ell you a single Model S motor, 275-400 KW, plus some support pieces for $12,000. Add an LSD and you're at $15K.

For some reason, this electric motor only has a 1 year warranty- would've expected with the relative simplicity vs. IC, it would be at least double the OEM IC warranty. Didn't see a range of installation prices. So far, their conversion kits are only made for penalty-box Euro vehicles tho.

Not looking like a sound financial deal, IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Took a look @ EV West's site; they'll ell you a single Model S motor, 275-400 KW, plus some support pieces for $12,000. Add an LSD and you're at $15K.

For some reason, this electric motor only has a 1 year warranty- would've expected with the relative simplicity vs. IC, it would be at least double the OEM IC warranty. Didn't see a range of installation prices. So far, their conversion kits are only made for penalty-box Euro vehicles tho.

Not looking like a sound financial deal, IMO.

I called them as every auto and the size of the battery (Most expensive component) makes every conversion a custom quote. 

I agree with you that the 1yr warranty is weird and I would have expected longer too from Tesla, but at least they are trying.

I wonder when GM or Toyota will offer EV powertrain kits on their crate sales site.

22 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Tesla is really good at designing cars, really good at marketing cars, terrible at producing cars.  And this is Tesla's chance to cash in, they need to get that production line at full speed, before everyone else enters the market. 

Small problem: execution and product availability are everything in this business.  Elon Musk and his crew have clearly underachieved on this one.  Seems like no one can actually get their hands on a Tesla model 3.  Pitiful.

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

Any more delays past June and I think Tesla will have officially shot themselves in the foot long term.

Benefit is that Chevy is going to win over some skeptics who will find the BOLT to be every bit as good if not better than the Tesla 3.

But the Bolt is small, for people that only want an EV no matter what, then it is fine.  But if I were in the market for a mid-size sedan or RAV4 sized crossover or 3 row crossover, as most shoppers are, then I would not be looking at a Bolt.  The Bolt isn't as fast as a Model 3 either.  Now if they make a 220 mile range EV Malibu or Equinox for $37k, then game on.

59 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Small problem: execution and product availability are everything in this business.  Elon Musk and his crew have clearly underachieved on this one.  Seems like no one can actually get their hands on a Tesla model 3.  Pitiful.

Right, I could make a flying car that ran on cheez wiz and if there was only one of them hand built in my garage it wouldn't do any good.  Tesla needs to figure out how to get the stuff they design to actual buyers.

the market needs a mid size or large car at a palatable price.  by that, I mean something not as small as Bolt / Volt.

'The Bolt's not large enough for people looking for a mid-size car.'
Model 3 interior volume: 97 CF.
Bolt EV interior volume: 95 CF.
At least the Bolt has a cargo opening you can fit more than a shoebox through.

The industry has been moving to smaller & smaller vehicles on the whole. Though it doesn't suit my preferences, large cars (or what is so labeled these days) are on the way out (I buy trucks, anyway). Model 3 sedan unfortunately will be born into a rapidly shrinking segment, whereas the much more practical Bolt is in the growing segment. Model 3 should have been the Model Y first.

• Upvote 1

What is the legroom, shoulder room, hip room on a Bolt?  I have sat in the Bolt, it has head room because it is sort of tall and there is knee room because the center console is small and mostly open, so those are pluses.  But the Bolt is still too little of a car for me to consider, the Volt actually has less space for the driver, despite being larger.

Look at the sales of 3 row crossovers, the largest growth segment in the industry.  Look at Camry and Accord sales, pick up truck sales, etc.  Then look at Fiat and Mini sales, because the Bolt is Mini Cooper sized. 

Bolt has more front & rear legroom than an E-class sedan! Then again, perhaps MB-s mediocre packaging isn't a fair comparison. ;)

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Bolt has more front & rear legroom than an E-class sedan! Then again, perhaps MB-s mediocre packaging isn't a fair comparison. ;)

I can't imagine someone buying a Bolt over an E-class, though.   Different niches.   Commuter econobox vs. a midsize luxury sedan...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

25 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I can't imagine someone buying a Bolt over an E-class, though.   Different niches.   Commuter econobox vs. a midsize luxury sedan...

Go test drive one, the closing of the door on the Bolt is like a vault compared to the tin can close of the E-Class. Chevy did a very nice job on the Bolt and you get allot of CUV for the money I think. The one thing I hear over and over is how solid the BOLT is by people that check it out compared to higher end luxury auto's.

No Chevy has doors more solid than a German car, the only think worse is a a Toyota door.  And the Bolt is slow and what about skidpad and grip?  The Model 3 can out perform an ATS, for ATS money, the Bolt can not. 

I am pro Electric  vehicles, but I am not interested in econoboxes. Neither are most people.  The Malibu, Implala, Tahoe, Camaro, Traverse and Equinox all outsell the Bolt.  This tells me people don’t want a subcompact car, because they want a Chevy, just not a small Chevy.

Edited by smk4565

35 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

No Chevy has doors more solid than a German car, the only think worse is a a Toyota door.  And the Bolt is slow and what about skidpad and grip?  The Model 3 can out perform an ATS, for ATS money, the Bolt can not. 

I am pro Electric  vehicles, but I am not interested in econoboxes. Neither are most people.  The Malibu, Implala, Tahoe, Camaro, Traverse and Equinox all outsell the Bolt.  This tells me people don’t want a subcompact car, because they want a Chevy, just not a small Chevy.

The Bolt is a novelty econobox--for city commuters that want something with a small footprint for tight parking spaces, I suppose. 

The Bolt is a good small car.  My question is this: where are the EV Equinox and EV Trax?  Better still, where are the EV Cadillac XT5 and XT4?  GM needs to build those too, because Tesla either cannot or will not build them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Bolt is a novelty econobox--for city commuters that want something with a small footprint for tight parking spaces, I suppose. 

That's what Daimler expressly said about the smart, yet I see them (not many, admittedly) out in rural areas and jockeying on the Turnpike with semis.
Bolt is a compact mini-wagon, basically a low CUV. It's sales are impressive within it's segment (EVs), but not so much relative to ICE vehicles... but that's a factor of a notably higher price and the uphill battle EVs are working against. I suppose one could call the entire EV genre a 'novelty' based on market performance, but I don't think one should look upon it as a 'fad'. Will be interesting to watch it's 2018 sales chart performance.

Meanwhile, General Motors is supposed to bring how many EVs online by 2021?
Would be interesting to see an XT4 EV powertrain option (as long as there are also ICEs).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Your post tells me you have never actually looked at one, been in one or test drove one. 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds is nothing to sneeze at and when you put it in sport mode it drops a full second to 5.5 seconds. BOLT is faster than most ICE Cars out there today.

More usable space than a Tesla 3, there has been no official testing of a Tesla 3 so trying to compare it to an ATS or better than anything else is Vapor Speech.

People who say it is a stripped down Econobox, needs to first go and record themselves in the actual car. It is a very nice car with triple door seals and yes closes better than than most German cars including the E-Class.

Your snob attitude tells me you have not set foot on a chevy dealership at least since the BOLT came out as you think you and your E-Class is too good to even go and be a TRUE CAR ENTHUSIAST and check the BOLT out.

I challenge you SMK to go onto the lot, record yourself checking out a BOLT and post the Pictures / Video to everyone and then if you still want to say it is garbage, your right.

Right now, the BOLT is way better than allot of cars / CUVs out there.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

The Bolt is a good small car.  My question is this: where are the EV Equinox and EV Trax?  Better still, where are the EV Cadillac XT5 and XT4?  GM needs to build those too, because Tesla either cannot or will not build them.

They are coming, GM CEO is on record by her own words that 2 CUV's will be coming for sale at 2020 models in late 2019 and by 2021 Generation 2 platform for the BOLT will spane 7 more EV's plus be used for plug in Hybrids using the VOLT type powertrain for a total of 11 EV/Hybrid auto's.

gm-ev-roadmap.jpg

Forgot that in October, CEO Barra stated that the updated plan is to have 20 EV auto's out in the next 6 years of which the first two as I stated above will be based on the BOLT Generation 1 platform out late 2019 as 2020 models and then 18 based on Generation 2 platform covering global sales and all 4 family brands.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/02/gm-to-ramp-up-electric-vehicle-plans-with-20-models-over-next-6-years.html

Here was the official GM release about 20 EV auto's and a global push for Zero Emission family of auto's for the planet.

http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2017-oct-1002-electric.html

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

They are coming, GM CEO is on record by her own words that 2 CUV's will be coming for sale at 2020 models in late 2019 and by 2021 Generation 2 platform for the BOLT will spane 7 more EV's plus be used for plug in Hybrids using the VOLT type powertrain for a total of 11 EV/Hybrid auto's.

Forgot that in October, CEO Barra stated that the updated plan is to have 20 EV auto's out in the next 6 years of which the first two as I stated above will be based on the BOLT Generation 1 platform out late 2019 as 2020 models and then 18 based on Generation 2 platform covering global sales and all 4 family brands.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/02/gm-to-ramp-up-electric-vehicle-plans-with-20-models-over-next-6-years.html

Here was the official GM release about 20 EV auto's and a global push for Zero Emission family of auto's for the planet.

http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2017-oct-1002-electric.html

MY 2020 and 2021 are not far off, so I would think we should be see some of these at shows in the next 12-18 months...going to be interesting to see.   

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell
    • By William Maley
      Tesla only has one assembly plant in Fremont, California. But that could be changing in the near future.
      Yesterday, Tesla and the and the Shanghai government reached a preliminary deal for a new assembly plant. The automaker expects production in about three year's time, provided they can get the approvals and permits needed. Tesla says the plant could build up to 500,000 vehicles annually. According to Bloomberg, the plant is expected to build the Model 3 sedan and upcoming Model Y crossover.
      Tesla building a plant in China doesn't come as surprise. The country is the largest market for electric vehicles, and most forecasters believe sales will skyrocket as government regulations push toward a goal of 100 percent electric vehicles by 2030.
      There are some questions about this new factory. For one, how is Tesla going to pay for this new plant? At the end of the first quarter, the company burned through $2.7 billion, mostly due to various issues dealing with ramping up Model 3 production. The Shanghai government said it would help cover some of capital costs.
      The other is will Tesla need to share technologies with a Chinese partner. Currently, any foreign automaker has to enter into a joint venture with a Chinese automaker and transfer various technologies.
      "For technology transfer, it is a matter subject to negotiation between the enterprises," said Huang Ou, deputy head of the Shanghai government’s economy and information technology commission.
      The Chinese government announced back in May that it would scrap the rules for "capping foreign ownership of new-energy vehicle ventures" by 2022.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla only has one assembly plant in Fremont, California. But that could be changing in the near future.
      Yesterday, Tesla and the and the Shanghai government reached a preliminary deal for a new assembly plant. The automaker expects production in about three year's time, provided they can get the approvals and permits needed. Tesla says the plant could build up to 500,000 vehicles annually. According to Bloomberg, the plant is expected to build the Model 3 sedan and upcoming Model Y crossover.
      Tesla building a plant in China doesn't come as surprise. The country is the largest market for electric vehicles, and most forecasters believe sales will skyrocket as government regulations push toward a goal of 100 percent electric vehicles by 2030.
      There are some questions about this new factory. For one, how is Tesla going to pay for this new plant? At the end of the first quarter, the company burned through $2.7 billion, mostly due to various issues dealing with ramping up Model 3 production. The Shanghai government said it would help cover some of capital costs.
      The other is will Tesla need to share technologies with a Chinese partner. Currently, any foreign automaker has to enter into a joint venture with a Chinese automaker and transfer various technologies.
      "For technology transfer, it is a matter subject to negotiation between the enterprises," said Huang Ou, deputy head of the Shanghai government’s economy and information technology commission.
      The Chinese government announced back in May that it would scrap the rules for "capping foreign ownership of new-energy vehicle ventures" by 2022.
    • By William Maley
      Subaru has been on a roll in the U.S. with 79 months of steady month-over-month growth. But Subaru wants to spread that success to other markets and has a new five-year to try an achieve this.
      Today in Tokyo, Newly appointed Subaru President Tomomi Nakamura unveiled the plan known as STEP - speed, trust, engagement, and peace of mind.
      "The automotive industry is now in a tumultuous time. Subaru’s fast growth in recent years has come to highlight our challenges. The question is how we, as a small-scale company, will be able to survive in this big-changing area," said Nakamura.
      Subaru wants to increase global sales from the 1.1 million vehicles it expects to sell in the current fiscal year to 1.3 million vehicles in the fiscal year on March 31, 2026. To do this, Subaru is planning to launch a number of new products including a hybrid and a "global strategic SUV" in the early 2020s. Furthermore, Subaru will evolving their "Dynamic X Solid design language into a "bolder" expression" and "enhancing sporty models."
      On the technology front, Subaru is planning to offer Level 2 autonomous capability (i.e. Cadillac Super Cruise and Tesla's Autopilot) around 2020 and higher levels by 2024. It is also planning to offer some sort of connectivity in "80 percent of new vehicles in major markets" by 2022.
      STEP will also be focusing on regaining trust in Subaru's home market. Last year, Subaru admitted that it had uncertified workers carrying out tests on new cars for Japan for decades. Early this year, the scandal got worse as Subaru revealed that inspectors falsified fuel economy and emission data. It led Japan's transportation ministry to reprimand Subaru and 417,288 vehicles to be recalled in the country.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs