Cadillac plans to produce the Escala

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Interesting video, Trump is wasting time taking on California. That train left the station long ago on taking back their control of what the emissions and MPG should be.  If you want to make the gas MPG static for the next 7 years is one thing, but even then, the focus of the future of Auto Powertrains is being set by China and Europe more than the US can influence now.

I truly hope the Escala comes out, but I have my doubts as Cadillac has piss poor leadership in Johanson as it's leader.

Love the Lego Semi truck Kit.

I am curious what the Escala ends up being.  Cadillac has too many sedans now, they don't need another one, unless they kill off a bunch of the sedans they have now and start over with this.  4-door coupes seem way over done, and I don't think the Escala looks like some ultra high end car in concept form.  Maybe it will be electric, but they will have to do something special, which I don't trust Johan to do.

IF the ATS & CTS merge into the CT5, they keep the CT6, the XTS is discontinued at the end of this generation... an added Escala would result in 1 less sedan- a move in the right direction, especially as it's upmarket. 3 is probably optimum for 4-drs.

The Escala --as a concept-- looks amazingly high end, and blows the current production luxury field out of the water. That interior is the first new approach concept I've seen in I don't know how many years. The car exceeds the El Miraj, which I've been a critic of but I know most people loved.

One can only hope that Cadillac pulls off another fantastic concept-to-production version like they did with the ELR. Cadillac has the ability, that I don't question. But what actually will happen only time will tell. The budget allocation of a few years ago, along with rising sales and higher ATPs needs to show as a tangible, purchasable statement of excellence.

Edited by balthazar

Johan also confirmed that Cadillac is introducing a CT3 to compete with the CLA and Audi A3, and he claims it will be the fastest car in that segment around the Nurburgring.  Which I don't think is a big selling feature for that segment, and I also have doubts that a CT3 will beat an AMG A-class around the 'Ring.  But at any rate, there is another sedan.

That was way back in August 2016, and what he said was 'Lux 3 and Lux 2', but those are where the CTS and ATS are now. ATS is already in the same segment as the CLA price & size-wise (tho the CLA has a much more cramped interior), so that car was introduced for 2013.

Since then we've heard the ATS & CTS were becoming the CT5. I've also read that a CT4 is 2021- a LOT happens in 3 years.

Have to see what happens. If the XTS stays, Cadillac keeps the same number of sedans. If it goes, there'll be 1 less than now.

Edited by balthazar

As far as the Escala goes, I could see it as a nice CLS/A7 competitor...3 sedans--CT3, CT5, CT6 plus the Escala and a coupe would be a nice car line for Cadillac.  The CUV fad is going to fade eventually, so they will need sedans..

On 3/17/2018 at 7:30 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

As far as the Escala goes, I could see it as a nice CLS/A7 competitor...3 sedans--CT3, CT5, CT6 plus the Escala and a coupe would be a nice car line for Cadillac.  The CUV fad is going to fade eventually, so they will need sedans..

I have to agree with Balthazar, CT5, CT6 and CT7 being the Escala.

In the CUV segment, XT4, XT5 and XT6 or 7 then the Escalade.

I think 3 cars, 3 CUVs and 1 SUV. Then you have your basic, mid, upper and performance level of all them. That gives Cadillac more than enough for a Luxury line of auto's.

I think BMW and MB will choke on trying to compete in the entry to mid lux level of auto's as Toyota, Chevy, Ford put out plenty of nice stuff to compete with them not to mention Buick/Acura.

• Agree 1

Johan did an interview last week where he said there would be a CT3 to compete with the 2-series, CLA and A3, and that CT3 would be rear drive and beat all 3 around the Nurburgring.  So maybe they plan to shrink down the ATS and cut some price, put the CT5 where the Infiniti Q60 sits, and leave the CT6 where it is, and the Escala as some sort of flagship, maybe they make it a 4 door coupe or lift back or something.  I think the name and price doesn't matter much so much as the actual product execution.

I like the idea that the Escala will be made. I did not listen to the video. 

So I wont be commenting on what I want the Escala to be until I listen to the vid.

What I want it to have though as powertrains go.

TTV6 450-500 horsepower MINIMUM base engine.

A V Series  600+ horsepower V8. Turbocharged or supercharged or naturally aspirated geared to be sporty.

A top of the line platinum/titanium trimmed all out luxury oriented version that is 100% electric. 500 mile range. 100% charged at a super super charging station taking only 5 minutes to do etc... Costs an arm and a leg top buy, but shames Bentleys and Rolls Royces in luxury, detail, fit and finish etc...

oopsies...looks like I did tell you folk what I want the Escala to be.

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I like the idea that the Escala will be made. I did not listen to the video. 

So I wont be commenting on what I want the Escala to be until I listen to the vid.

What I want it to have though as powertrains go.

TTV6 450-500 horsepower MINIMUM base engine.

A V Series  600+ horsepower V8. Turbocharged or supercharged or naturally aspirated geared to be sporty.

A top of the line platinum/titanium trimmed all out luxury oriented version that is 100% electric. 500 mile range. 100% charged at a super super charging station taking only 5 minutes to do etc... Costs an arm and a leg top buy, but shames Bentleys and Rolls Royces in luxury, detail, fit and finish etc...

oopsies...looks like I did tell you folk what I want the Escala to be.

They aren't going to shoot into Rolls and Bentley territory, no way.  But maybe making the car electric only is a way to go.  And making it a Tesla Model S competitor.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Johan did an interview last week where he said there would be a CT3 to compete with the 2-series, CLA and A3, and that CT3 would be rear drive and beat all 3 around the Nurburgring.

So you believe there's going to be a CT3, CT4, CT5, CT6 and Escala?
Doesn't sound remotely possible. And Cadillac shouldn't- they're not a full-line brand, have never been, really.

CT4, CT5, CT6 makes solid business sense. ATS is already in the size & price tier the CLA is in, so Cadillac is already competing there. There is no 'to compete with' the CLA/A3; that's done. But at least RWD is the way to go here, it's obvious FWD (and a poorly packaged body) isn't working for the CLA.

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

So you believe there's going to be a CT3, CT4, CT5, CT6 and Escala?
Doesn't sound remotely possible. And Cadillac shouldn't- they're not a full-line brand, have never been, really.

CT4, CT5, CT6 makes solid business sense. ATS is already in the size & price tier the CLA is in, so Cadillac is already competing there. There is no 'to compete with' the CLA/A3; that's done. But at least RWD is the way to go here, it's obvious FWD (and a poorly packaged body) isn't working for the CLA.

Well I don't know what the names will be, but Johan said there will be a CLA/A3 competitor so that is the smallest sedan.  They in the past said that the CT5 would replace both the ATS and CTS in the $35-45,000 starting range, so that is the middle sedan.   XTS dies at the end of this generation we know. CT6 was rumored to be killed too, but maybe not, I think they keep it as the large sedan so they have 3 sedans.

Escala might not be a sedan, maybe it becomes a 2 door coupe, maybe a 4-door coupe, maybe a Panamera hatchback, I don't know.  I don't think they will make it just a 3-box sedan to take on the S-class, everyone else has tried and failed, why go down that road.

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

CLA is not worth competing with.
FWD premium is Buick's territory.

Maybe so but Cadillac’s boss thinks it is worth competing with.  And Buick gave up on small sedans.  The Regal is E-class size so Buick doesn’t seem interested in doing small after killing Verano.

Edited by smk4565

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

^ Hi there, Olds..nice to see you back here...

@Cubical-aka-Moltar@ocnblu

Thanx guys!

OK....when I said I wanted the Escala to be in luxury categories into the top tier  including the  all electric Escala to encroach into Rolls territory, I was thinking about this strategy Cadillac had back in the day they had for the Eldorado nameplate.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « 1957 cadillac eldorado convertible »

Just your run of the mill Eldorado Convertible

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « 1957 cadillac sedan deville »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « 1957 cadillac sedan deville »

And your run of the mill coupe and Sedan Deville

And the awesome Eldorado Brougham Biarritz that chartered new roads with technology and luxury...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « 1957 cadillac eldorado brougham »

And when I say 'run of the mill', Im being facetious.  Its just that the Brougham was twice the price of the Eldorado Biarritz and surpassed ANY Rolls Royce of the era in terms of quality, luxury and technology.

Yes, Cadillac is not there PERCEPTION Wise with the masses....the masses of sheeple.

Cadillac NEEDS to do a car like the Brougham...NOW!

Whether its an Escala or an SUV above the Escalade ESV...

They need to get their asses rolling in that direction.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

And...when I say Cadillac needs to do a car like the Eldorado Brougham now...its because the excuses of the CT6 and the  ATS were products of the bankruptcy and are also NOT Johan's products...

Well...the Escala is most definitely HIS puppy. Its a car designed by HIS team and HIS view. Its car that was designed with the idea that Cadillac's headquarters is in New York City...its the car that truly is the one that dares greatly...or at least it should be.

Also, say what you will about Johan and Audi...

But...wasnt Johan the one that changed Audi's interiors into what they are today? Wasnt he the one to point them in that direction in having the industries most prolific and excellent interiors?

Well...the Escala should truly BE the actual FIRST Cadillac to have an interior truly worthy of a...CADILLAC. Whcich means to be the STANDARD of the world.

With that being said, if Johan truly builds an Escala that truly has such an interior, then Rolls Royce territory is not that far fetched.

People are STILL salivating and awaiting Cadillac to build this...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Cadillac Ciel »

All Cadillac has to do is just build that!

But Cadillac has to be sure to not only give us  visually that is deemed heavenly, but the quality and fit and finish has to be heavenly too.

Cadillac CAN do it...why they dont is beyond my comprenhension.  (Money...after bankruptcy, bean counters and the Detroit ethos...well Cadillac is in NYC now and Cadillac sells cars in China making money...)

But...the Escala HAS to be THAT car...NOW....(or a SUV above the Escalade) So...not a far fetched idea...my idea.

• Agree 2

Cadillac can’t build an interior in the same league as Audi or BMW and we want them to go after Rolls and Bentley?  Johan said in his recent interview how the CTS interior was not up to par but it isn’t something you can just change.  And my thought is sure you can, that is probably the easiest part of a car to change.

Cadillac has a long way to go on interiors.   Other than Lincoln or Acura they are probably the worst in the luxury segment, I think they trail Infiniti and Volvo at this point.

18 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Cadillac can’t build an interior in the same league as Audi or BMW and we want them to go after Rolls and Bentley?  Johan said in his recent interview how the CTS interior was not up to par but it isn’t something you can just change.  And my thought is sure you can, that is probably the easiest part of a car to change.

Cadillac has a long way to go on interiors.   Other than Lincoln or Acura they are probably the worst in the luxury segment, I think they trail Infiniti and Volvo at this point.

All it is is just money, as in a budget being thrown at it, to make it happen.

Mercedes Benz in the 1990s and the early to mid 2000s had shyte interiors. 

Audi too, same time frame. Less than a decade it took to turn that around for them. Money was spent on better materials. 

Attention to detail...

Johan, was the one over at Audi to focus the attention to detail....

The Escala...seeing as its an important car for Cadillac to go into that Standard of the World direction...I think Johan knows and understands this...and Johan being the one to do that at Audi...I think its very doable for Cadillac to go into Rolls and Bentely  territory over night with the Escala launch.  

The talent and expertise is there. The know-how and the what material people today want and appreciate and the wanting to try new and daring things is there too...

As shown in the Escala concept...

Image result for Escala trunk

Image result for cadillac escala trunk

The desire to do so is also there...

All that is missing is the money that the bean  counters will not release...(Im assuming this to be true as I read how the previous Cadillac boss was fighting with the bean counters with the CT6 trims and pieces...

But that is also why Johan moved the Cadillac headquarters to New York City...to be away from the nonsense that is GM and Detroit...

So...you could be right about Cadillac not being  high on that ladder...but dont be in denial about what Cadillac can do...

Because Cadillac engineers and developpers and production guys CAN deliver those goods TOMORROW...right away even on the EΧΙSTING models they have now...there is only a wait on the re-tooling...

The problem is the MONEY...

1st it was the money not being released...because of a lack of it...

But NOW...I hear the money is good again...

It all depends on how the beancounters want to spend it...

And they HAVE to spend it...Im basing MY optimism that they WILL spend it where it should...

Maybe you believe that the beancounters will NOT give Johan the resources (money) needed for Johan to complete his job in   making the interiors worthy...

To which I see your point. If your argument is not what I just said, then I may have to disagree with you.