Toyota News: 2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan Drops the iA

The Toyota Yaris iA is no more. Putting to rest the last remnants of the Scion brand, Toyota is renaming their smallest sedan to the Yaris for 2019. It also marks the introduction of a range of trims (L, LE, and XLE).

Not much changes in terms of the exterior aside from a honeycomb grille and chrome trim. A lip spoiler is standard on the LE and XLE models. For the interior, the Yaris sedan comes well equipped with a 7-inch display, Bluetooth, backup camera, push-button start, and cruise control. LE and XLE models add a Smart Key. The top-line XLE comes with leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, automatic rain-sensing wipers, and automatic LED headlights.

The powertrain remains a 1.5L four-cylinder with 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque. This can be paired with a six-speed manual or automatic. 

All Yaris sedans come equipped with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System.

No word on pricing, but the 2019 Yaris sedan arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Toyota
Press Release is on Page 2

2019 Yaris Sedan Offers Ideal Blend of Value and Fun

• 2019 Yaris Sedan Available in Three Grades: L, LE, XLE
  • New XLE Grade Adds Leather Accents, Leatherette-Trimmed Interior
  • New Sport-Inspired Front Grille
  • Available 40 MPG Highway Rating*
  • Standard 7-inch Touchscreen Multimedia System
  • Standard Active Safety System, Low-Speed Pre-Collision System

PLANO, Texas, March 26, 2018 – The 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan offers an exceptional blend of efficiency, fun, comfort and safety all at a reasonable price. Is this combination too much to ask of an entry subcompact vehicle? The new Yaris answers with a resounding, “No!”

The Yaris sedan, previously the Yaris iA, will be offered in three grades for 2019, including the sporty L, the well-equipped LE grade, and the new premium XLE grade. Premium, on a Yaris? That’s right. The XLE takes Yaris up a notch with sporty leatherette-trimmed front seats, leather-trimmed steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake, an HVAC system with Automatic Climate Control, automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers and illuminated entry.

For 2019, all Yaris sedans will feature a new sport-inspired front grille with a honeycomb insert design. Exterior styling cues include upscale piano black accents and chrome trim. Fog lights come standard on the LE and XLE grades, and these grades also sport a new rear lip spoiler. Every grade is fitted with a roof-mounted, color-keyed shark fin antenna for available satellite radio. Power outside mirrors come standard on the L, while the LE and XLE are equipped with power outside heated mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Safety is a priority on every Toyota, and that’s why all Yaris sedans comes standard with an Active Safety System and Low-Speed Pre-Collision System. The Yaris features a high-compression 1.5-liter engine that boasts up to 40 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway*.

The Yaris sedan will be offered in seven colors that include Frost, Chromium, Graphite, Stealth, Sapphire, Pulse and the all-new Icicle. The new Yaris will go on sale in the fall of 2018.

Efficiency is Key

There’s no question that fuel economy is high atop the list of must-haves for Yaris. When the direct-injection 1.5-liter engine is paired with the available 6-speed automatic transmission, the Yaris boasts an impressive 32 MPG in the city, 40 on the highway and 35 combined*. When paired with the six-speed manual gearbox offering, the Yaris provides 30 mpg in the city, 39 on the highway and 34 combined*.

The sporty Yaris sedan is a blast to drive, thanks in large part to the engine and transmission offerings. The 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine pumps out 106 horsepower and 103 lb.-ft. of torque for plenty of pep to power onto highway onramps and seamlessly navigate workday traffic. The standard manual transmission features a compact, lightweight design with a short-throw shift for smooth, quick gear changes. The available automatic transmission aids in smooth starts while offering quick, precise shifts at higher speeds.

Value Doesn’t Sacrifice Fun

Yaris’ sporty handling is engineered into the chassis with effective use of high-tensile steel in the body and frame. The rigid chassis design is complemented with a pairing of stiff springs and MacPherson struts on the front suspension and a durable torsion beam suspension in the rear.

The electronic power steering is designed for smooth, effortless operation. For more spirited driving, Sport Mode provides improved torque feel at the flip of a switch. Stopping duties are handled by ventilated discs up front and drum brakes in the rear. The braking system is tuned with a progressive experience when cornering, as the pedal offers a cushioned feel that gets progressively more rigid as G-force rises. The LE and XLE feature a unique 16-inch alloy wheel with new dark gunmetal finish.

It’s What’s Inside that Counts

Upping the ante on interior comfort and features, every Yaris features a 7.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system with voice recognition, remote interface, steering wheel controls and Bluetooth connectivity. The touchscreen also displays the standard backup camera. Belting out tunes in the cabin is a six-speaker sound system, and each Yaris includes available satellite radio with a 3-month complimentary SiriusXM® All Access trial. An integrated AM/FM antenna, auxiliary audio jack and USB port with iPod® connectivity are standard.

Every Yaris comes equipped with a stylish instrumentation cluster that includes an analog speedometer, digital tachometer and incorporated trip meter. Cruise control also comes standard. Push button start is standard on all grades, and the L grade features a remote keyless entry system while both the LE and XLE are equipped with Smart Key System. Every Yaris is fitted with power windows with driver-side auto up/down and jam protection. A standard 60/40-split rear seat easily expands carrying capacity and versatility.

Standard Safety System

Every Yaris is equipped with an Active Safety System that includes Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and a Brake Over-Ride System (BOS).

The Yaris is also fitted with a Low-Speed Pre-Collision System, which scans the road ahead for potential vehicle collisions. If the system detects a potential frontal collision, an audio/visual alert and braking assistance are designed to automatically activate. Should the driver not respond, this system may automatically apply the brakes.

A driver and front passenger airbag system and seat-mounted side airbags are standard, as are front and rear side curtain airbags. Other standard safety features include a Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) is also standard on outboard rear seats with tethers and anchors on all rear seats. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) also is equipped on all grades.

View full article

On 3/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, frogger said:

This a Toyota Mazda2 n'est pas?

I know why Saturn was created in 1985, and GM ultimately learned enough so that Saturn could disappear in the wake of BK in 2009.  Why did Toyota create Scion?  It was not as if they needed Scion at all.  (Lexus in 1990 was a nuclear missile aimed directly at Mercedes-Benz, particularly the S-Class.  Lexus still does that and probably exceeds MB these days.)  Other than the original xB, why Scion?  I am glad Toyota ditched Scion only because it seemed unnecessary in my book.  As for the car itself, I am sure the Yaris will do fine without the iA designation.  But that leaves me with a question.  In the era of the crossover, who will actually buy a Yaris?

And the irony of that, if Im not mistaken, 'twas older folk that bought Scions. 

Scion was not introduced in Canada. Only the last couple of years of the Scion brand did Toyota bring Scion to Canada. 

I hardly know anything about the brand and its cars.  Im not that interested in the brand anyways to tell you the truth. 

I think automated wipers are supposed to be luxury things to which entitled and cuddled folk dont have to flick a switch or toggle a button or swipe a lever to switch on the wipers for the wipers to sweep back and forth to clear the rain from the windshield.  Too much work apparently. 

Also, if Im not mistaken, the Cadillac and Buick versions from the 1990s also adjusted automatically, the frequency of the back and forths so as not to disturb the driver for him to adjust the frequency himself. Too much trouble to set the intermittent switch. Yes. Yes. the intermittent frequency is NEVER accurate no matter what level you set it on. I guess automatically, problem is solved?

If  the Yaris comes with automated wipers, Its a big leap forward for when I remembered this one  

Related image

or very similar. The button itself rings a bell to me if not the whole set-up. I remember it on one of my dad's 1970s GM vehicles.

Was it the 1974 Impala or the 1979 Impala?  I know the 1970 GTO he had did not use this switch as the washer function was on the foot-well on the bottom.  On the left. 

Am I jealous that a lowly Yaris will have automated wipers?

Nah!

I love to be in control. In total control of my vehicle. I love to drive. Me. Drive. And do all the things by myself. The only thing manual I dont like is manual transmissions. The ONLY automated part of driving I prefer is the automatic transmission.  I even dont mind me cranking up the roll up windows.

Image result for GM W-408 Window Crank Handle

I remember this crank fondly! 1979 Impala had this. The 1974 Impala had electric windows...and a white vinyle top. 

Good times! 

Edited by oldshurst442

Since Im going down memory lane, the dome light  from 1970s GM vehicles is also what I miss. 

Image result for 1970s GM light dome

I remember putting my little finger in the middle of that star pattern.

I also remember the 1979 Impala having circle rings as a pattern instead of a star. 

Good times! 

• Only thing I'm aware of down in the left footwell is the headlight dimmer- same place it was for 75 years. I'm positive the washer was never foot-operated on Pontiacs in that era. My brother's '71 GTO has the dimmer switch there also.
• I would guess that wiper switch was from the '74, font looks very similar to what was in my '72 Riviera.
• I know that dome light well- dad's '70 Catalina had the same one.
• I remember looking over his shoulder as he drove that '70 and looking at that red-lit Indian Head high beam indicator. I was sorely disappointed our '77 Cat only had a blue square. I believe Pontiac was preserving it's trademark- they took all Indian-logos off the outside after '55, but kept it as the high beam indicator until '77.

• Agree 1

Could it be that the washer was an aftermarket affair?   

Or could it be that my memory is foggy and  Im remembering the headlight dimmer instead?  I was born in 1973. My dad totaled the GTO in 1977. I was but 4 years old. Yes, I do remember the car. Very faint memories, so the details are fuzzy.   But I swear I remember stepping on it myself and windshield washer fluid would spurt out. (Out of somewhere because that detail is forgotten.)    Would it be two black nozzles on the hood where the hood vents were. Just above those hood vents? 

yes. blue square. You triggered another memory there! :)

Edited by oldshurst442

* No- no aftermarket washer system- just wasn't done in my experience/knowledge. '70 GTO had a dedicated cut-out in the lower dash for the wiper switch, I believe they all had the push-function for washers. Yes- would've been twin metal nozzles aimed at the windshield from the cowl vents.
• Looks like the Goat had a generic light-up bar on the speedo, right under '70', rather than the big car's Indian Head indicator. I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars. ;)
• Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

* No- no aftermarket washer system- just wasn't done in my experience/knowledge. '70 GTO had a dedicated cut-out in the lower dash for the wiper switch, I believe they all had the push-function for washers. Yes- would've been twin metal nozzles aimed at the windshield from the cowl vents.
• Looks like the Goat had a generic light-up bar on the speedo, right under '70', rather than the big car's Indian Head indicator. I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars. ;)
• Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks. :P

Thanx for all this info!!!   :thumbsup:

I laughed with this quote. 

I've always maintained that GM de-engineered the A-Bodies from the full-size cars

Seeing that I LOVE the GM A-Body ( I also LOVE the ALL the GM fullsizers of that time too but dream car of all time is a 1970 442...) Im kinda embarrassed by that statement. I respect your opinion on cars, and I do NOT want that statement to be true! Ill just pretend I did not see you write it up...

You see, in my own little world, the 1970 442 is just the greatest thing on earth. The Best Balthy!  The Best!

Image result for the best jerry the best gif

Just to keep this topical, the Yaris sucks.

This statement had me not only LOL-ing...but LMAO-ing! Several notches above that actually.  LMFAO level to be accurate.

And yes. The Yaris SUCKS!

:Toyota:

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm sorry; I don't get automating something you're looking directly at/thru. How could a driver possibly be unaware it's raining?

IMO, having an 'object in trunk' monitor/warning makes more sense than rain-sensing wipers.

Rain sensing wipers aren't about the on-off, though that's nice.  Rain sense is that the car automatically adjusts the wipe interval while driving depending on the intensity of the rain. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Weird..wasn't that something Buick offered decades ago? 

It's offered on other Buick models currently.  It was standard on my parents 2006 Lucerne CXL.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, balthazar said:

I'm sorry; I don't get automating something you're looking directly at/thru. How could a driver possibly be unaware it's raining?

IMO, having an 'object in trunk' monitor/warning makes more sense than rain-sensing wipers.

You've never had your wipers at a certain speed only to have a car plow a wave of water at your windshield?  The rainsense usually reacts quicker than you... or how about being at a red light and hearing the wiper chatter go over a mostly dry windshield because it's drizzling, but you stopped... but the wipers are on a preset intermittent cycle?  Or how about when the weather keeps changing between downpours and lighter rain... and your wipers just take care of it because they're automatic...

• Agree 3

• Wave of water? Sure; I've had that happen. NBD, it runs right off/ Rain-X/ wipers are on intermittent anyway. Never felt the necessity to panic-hit the wipers to full blast. Remember; I was already looking right  thru my windshield, so I know what's out there even if obscured for a few seconds.
• Wiper chatter? Very very seldom; I usually get comments from passengers I don't have the wipers running fast enough, not too fast.

I just don't feel I'm yet helpless enough I can't address these few scenarios myself.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Paolino said:

It's offered on other Buick models currently.  It was standard on my parents 2006 Lucerne CXL.

You've never had your wipers at a certain speed only to have a car plow a wave of water at your windshield?  The rainsense usually reacts quicker than you... or how about being at a red light and hearing the wiper chatter go over a mostly dry windshield because it's drizzling, but you stopped... but the wipers are on a preset intermittent cycle?  Or how about when the weather keeps changing between downpours and lighter rain... and your wipers just take care of it because they're automatic...

I get the autosense wipers, but like @balthazar I do not miss not having it as I rainX my windshields and all the auto's have it fly off faster than a wiper. Kinda like going Warp Speed. 

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I get the autosense wipers, but like @balthazar I do not miss not having it as I rainX my windshields and all the auto's have it fly off faster than a wiper. Kinda like going Warp Speed. 

Wife, Daughter and Son all love it and are sold on it for their auto's.

My only problem with RainX is you have to like drive at least 30-40 before it really starts blowing the water off the windshield--which means it's useless in city driving/traffic which I'm in daily.  And in my own experience, the wiper blade would streak across the windshield when you used it at lower speeds, rather than smoothly wipe the windshield--otherwise I loved it.

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting...so RainX actually works?  Always assumed it was just hype..

Oh it definitely works.  I like using it on my side/rear windows... water flies off it when you hit a certain speed like you're in the dryer of a car wash.  When not flying off, I'd say it beads up more like a freshly-waxed car.  You have to reapply every now and then, but it's a good product.

1 minute ago, Paolino said:

Oh it definitely works.  I like using it on my side/rear windows... water flies off it when you hit a certain speed like you're in the dryer of a car wash.  When not flying off, I'd say it beads up more like a freshly-waxed car.  You have to reapply every now and then, but it's a good product.

I'll have to check it out..wipers were a rarely used feature in the desert, but I do use them often in NE Ohio...

• Agree 1

Oh yeah- Rain-X is one of those very few products that works better than you expect. Last 1-2 months, depending. Now Rain-X has product-infused wiper blades, tho I haven't tried them.
In mixed driving with a good application of Rain-X, you can almost use you wipers about a third or more LESS often. The water beads tightly, so it either blows off upward (@ speed), or trickles downward at low speeds. I don't apply it regularly enough.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ive got the Rain-X wipers too. I dont find them being all that different from regular wipers. But then again, I never did go through the trouble of using the wet napkins(or whatever was in that package) that come with the wipers to coat my windshield...so I guess I dont get that bead effect. Maybe I should have done it? Or not...

But on the issues of automatic wipers...

Im on Balty's side on that.

Ill even quote him...

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

• Wave of water? Sure; I've had that happen. NBD, it runs right off/ Rain-X/ wipers are on intermittent anyway. Never felt the necessity to panic-hit the wipers to full blast. Remember; I was already looking right  thru my windshield, so I know what's out there even if obscured for a few seconds.
• Wiper chatter? Very very seldom; I usually get comments from passengers I don't have the wipers running fast enough, not too fast.

I just don't feel I'm yet helpless enough I can't address these few scenarios myself.

Because whether the water beads on my windshield or not...what Balthy said!!! 

EDIT:

I just realized you folk are actually talking about an actual Rain-X coating product.\

I did not know that existed. I thought it was just a brand of wipers that came with a one-time application...

COOL!

Next time Im at Canadian Tire, tomorrow basically, I will look for this and I will buy it!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yes it works and works well. Key important step that many get impatient about, Once you wipe it on the windshield, you have to do it like a wax job and work it over the glass and then let it dry. Depending on Humidity, it can be a few min to an hour. 

Once it is dry you buff it to a shine and in slow or fast speed, it just beads up and rolls off.

14 hours ago, Paolino said:

My only problem with RainX is you have to like drive at least 30-40 before it really starts blowing the water off the windshield--which means it's useless in city driving/traffic which I'm in daily.  And in my own experience, the wiper blade would streak across the windshield when you used it at lower speeds, rather than smoothly wipe the windshield--otherwise I loved it.

Are you really letting the RainX dry to a haze and get fully dry?

Once it is dry and you buff it to a shine, even in low speed it just beads up and rolls off. I do my windshields once a week and never have a problem with them in slow speed or high speed traffic and I never have it streak.

I buy it in the bulk pack from Costco with two spray bottles and a refill bottle.

See the source image

@oldshurst442 The great thing about the spray is once you do it once a week, it builds up on the windshield and then during winter time you can go every other week, but it just beads up the water. I Put on a pair of Bosch Wipers every other year as RainX is that good at extending the life of the wiper. 

No skipping, no streaking, Just make sure to let it dry and buff it to a shine. Then Enjoy the Warp Speed effect. Wife Loves that the beads fly off at Freeway speed and she uses the wipers on delay.

Heavy splash of water also clears fast.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:46 PM, riviera74 said:

Why did Toyota create Scion?

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I believe they were created for a sporty and young persons car. this was supposed to be their "youth" brand with the quirky xB and xA that were supposedly very customize-able from the factory. 

On 4/4/2018 at 4:09 PM, balthazar said:

I think it is more about the automatic adjusting to the amount of rain falling rather than initially turning them on that makes them nice. Rain slows down, they slow down, rain picks up for 45 seconds, they pick up for 45 seconds...etc. 

Personally, I could care less about them. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I believe they were created for a sporty and young persons car. this was supposed to be their "youth" brand with the quirky xB and xA that were supposedly very customize-able from the factory. 

You are spot on about the Scion brand.

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No, it works AMAZINGLY! I'd VERY highly recommend doing it to your windshield. In light rain I don't use my wipers and some times in the morning after it rains I like to see at what speed does all of the rain come off my of windshield.. around 40-45 if you're wondering lol. 

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I do my windshields once a week and never have a problem with them in slow speed or high speed traffic and I never have it streak.

Once a week?!?!? I only feel like I need to once a year.. and once I apply it I usually just buy the additive for my washer fluid and that works plenty well. 

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's a luxury item that is hard to live without once you've had it a while.  In @Paolino's case, he had it on his old Lacrosse and I believe his parent's Lucerne and is wondering why it isn't on the new one. 

The easiest way to apply Rainex is to buy the rainex washer fluid and use as normal. 

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

No, it works AMAZINGLY! I'd VERY highly recommend doing it to your windshield. In light rain I don't use my wipers and some times in the morning after it rains I like to see at what speed does all of the rain come off my of windshield.. around 40-45 if you're wondering lol. 

Once a week?!?!? I only feel like I need to once a year.. and once I apply it I usually just buy the additive for my washer fluid and that works plenty well. 

Seattle does rain more often than other places, so that could be why I use it so much more often. The RainX washer fluid works well to keep the windshield treatment lasting longer but still it does wear off.

19 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It still works well enough for me.

To be honest, I never heard of the Rain-X washer fluid... does it spot up the non-wiper portion of the windshield when you use it and it sprays out?

6 minutes ago, Paolino said:

To be honest, I never heard of the Rain-X washer fluid... does it spot up the non-wiper portion of the windshield when you use it and it sprays out?

No at least for me it does not. Good solid wiper fluid to use. I like using it in addition to the RainX applied fluid to the whole windshield. I have crystal clear vision with it even on the passes with all the salt solution they use.