William Maley

Chevrolet News:2019 Chevrolet Cruze, Malibu, and Spark Get New Faces

Chevrolet has introduced mid-cycle refreshes for the bulk of their passenger car lineup. New faces are the big change of note for the 2019 Cruze, Malibu, and Spark. But there are other changes for these models which we will detail below.

2019 Malibu

Out of the three, the 2019 Malibu gets the most significant updates. It begins with the introduction of the RS package that adds a black grille, black badge, dual-outlet exhaust and special 18-inch wheels. Those hoping for some changes with the suspension are out of luck since there are none.

Models equipped with the 1.5L turbo swap the six-speed automatic for a CVT. All Malibus will get an 8-inch touchscreen with the new Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system.

2019 Cruze

We first reported this back in December and it has now been confirmed. The manual transmission will no longer be available on any version of the Cruze. This means only automatics will be available - six-speed for gas and nine-speed for diesel. The Cruze Hatchback lineup gains a new LS variant to serve as the base. We're expecting the LS hatch to be somewhere in the $20,000 to $21,000 range for its base price.

Other changes include the introduction of the Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system, and LT and Premier models getting automatic climate control and remote start as standard.

2019 Spark

Last up is the 2019 Spark. It gets new styling for the rear and optional low-speed automatic emergency braking.

No word on pricing, but we expect to find out when all of these models go on sale later this year.

Source: Chevrolet
Press Release is on Page 2

NEW RS TRIM LEADS RESTYLED 2019 CHEVROLET MALIBU LINEUP

DETROIT — Updated styling across the lineup — led by the first-ever RS trim — introduces additional choices to the 2019 Chevrolet Malibu and improves its presence.

“We see an exciting opportunity with the 2019 Malibu to give customers new, distinctive choices, exemplified by Malibu RS,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet marketing director for Cars and Crossovers. “It offers athletic design and amazing features at an attractive price point starting between Malibu LS and LT trims.”

The first-ever Malibu RS offers a sporty, personalized appearance starting at around $25,000, driven by styling cues that include 18-inch machined wheels, black sport grille, black bowtie emblems, a rear spoiler and a dual-outlet exhaust. Inside, Malibu RS features a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, black cloth seats and a standard 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen running the Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system.

Offered on five 2019 models, the RS trim is a Chevrolet success story that gives customers distinctive choice, strong value and performance-driven design. 

The new, standard 8-inch diagonal touchscreen running Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system and new CVT transmission mated to the standard 1.5L Turbo engine further refine the 2019 Malibu line. The Premier trim retains its 2.0L Turbo paired to a nine-speed automatic.

Performance-inspired design

The Malibu’s front fascia, grilles and headlamps are all-new. The headlamps are integrated with the upper grille and the larger, bolder lower grille, giving the car a more powerful presence. High-performance LED lighting are integrated into the headlamps for Premier models, and there are new LED signature daytime running lamps for LT and Premier. There’s greater attention to detail in the grille and headlamps, with bold chrome accents reinforcing Malibu’s premium appearance.

A new rear valance pushes the dual-exhaust outlets farther toward the corners, emphasizing the car’s width, while new taillamps deliver a more dramatic execution of Chevrolet’s signature dual-element design. The LT and Premier trims feature LED taillamps.

“The Malibu’s fresh look refines and enhances the sculptural beauty of the Malibu,” said John Cafaro, executive director, Global Chevrolet Design. “It will also be an obvious member of the Chevrolet car family.”

Additional 2019 updates across Malibu’s lineup include:

• A new, standard 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen radio running Chevrolet Infotainment 3
  • New 8-inch diagonal reconfigurable driver information center display on the Premier model
  • Rear Vision Camera1 system is now standard on the Malibu L model
  • The up-level Malibu Premier features standard heated outboard rear seats
  • New available interior and exterior colors
  • New wheel designs available in multiple sizes, including 16-, 17- and 18-inch

The restyled Malibu joins the 2019 Cruze and Spark as part of Chevrolet’s freshened car portfolio. It goes on sale this fall.

RESTYLED 2019 CHEVROLET CRUZE POSITIONED TO STRENGTHEN MARKET MOMENTUM

DETROIT — Chevrolet today introduced the restyled 2019 Cruze with a more premium appearance that enhances its on-road presence and strengthens its value for customers. The updates for 2019 position Cruze to continue its success in the compact car segment.

“Cruze is a cornerstone of Chevrolet’s car strategy, bringing new customers to the brand,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet marketing director for Cars and Crossovers. “In fact, 53 percent of Cruze customers in 2017 were new to Chevrolet. Cruze has been so successful at attracting new buyers to Chevy because its lineup offers something for every customer, from body style to fuel choice to trim and design.”

Recent introductions of the Cruze Hatch and Diesel models helped push the car to a 0.6-percent retail market share gain in 2017 and helped Chevrolet secure its third consecutive year of higher overall retail market share.

New design
The 2019 Cruze’s front fascia and grilles are all-new. Revised grille designs reinforce Cruze’s premium appearance. In the Premier trim, Chevrolet’s signature dual-element taillamps now feature LED accent lighting, which adds to Cruze’s sculptural beauty.

“Cruze’s refreshed styling gives Cruze a more upscale look while maintaining its Chevrolet design DNA,” said John Cafaro, executive director, Global Chevrolet Design.

What’s new for 2019
Chevrolet is the most awarded, fastest-growing brand for the last four years overall* and as part of that, the first-ever Cruze Hatch LS continues Chevrolet’s commitment and momentum in offering a broad car portfolio with choices for every budget and need.

Additional updates include:

• New Chevrolet Infotainment 3 running on a standard 7-inch diagonal color touchscreen radio
  • Remote start and automatic climate control standard on LT and Premier models
  • New wheel designs
  • Black window moldings, bowtie emblems and 17-inch (and available 18-inch) machined wheels for Cruze’s RS package
  • New available Umber interior color

The 2019 Cruze goes on sale later this year, offered in sedan and hatchback models, with 1.4L turbo and available 1.6L turbo-diesel engines. It also features 4G LTE connectivity and a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (with limited service trial), and one of the segment’s biggest rosters of available active safety features, including:

• Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
  • Rear Park Assist
  • Following Distance Indicator
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Front pedestrian braking
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking

CHEVROLET INTRODUCES RESTYLED 2019 SPARK

DETROIT — An updated face and new available active safety technology for the 2019 Spark add attitude and purpose to Chevrolet’s feisty, segment sales-leading mini-car.

“Customers can easily personalize Spark, which is a main reason why it leads its segment in sales, attracting both young buyers and women to the brand,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet marketing director for Cars and Crossovers. “Spark is an excellent value for customers seeking an affordable car that offers great safety technology and connectivity.”

Spark’s fresh front-end styling takes its cues from the Chevrolet line, while new, available Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking1 can help drivers prevent or reduce the severity of low-speed front-end collisions by applying the brakes or enhancing the driver’s braking.

The new styling boosts Spark’s premium appearance with a rich use of chrome in the grille. Available projector-style headlamps further enhance Spark’s chic styling. The available LED daytime running lamps are moved lower, giving Spark a more powerful presence and a family resemblance to the rest of the Chevrolet car lineup.

At the rear, dual-element taillamps further the signature brand cue. Spark continues its tradition of offering customer personalization through bright and distinctive paint colors.

The 2019 Spark is offered in LS, LT, 2LT and ACTIV trims, with the ACTIV featuring crossover-inspired design cues and a ride height raised by 10mm. All trims feature standard air conditioning, 10 standard airbags2 and a rear-vision camera system.

New, segment-exclusive Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking joins the available Driver Confidence Package, complementing the package’s additional active safety features, Forward Collision Alert1 and Lane Departure Warning. 1

When it comes to connectivity, Spark delivers a standard Chevrolet infotainment system featuring phone integration compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a limited trial of OnStar and connectivity access at no additional cost, plus access to the MyChevrolet mobile app.

Spark is powered by a 1.4L DOHC engine offered with a manual transmission or an available continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The refreshed Spark joins the 2019 Malibu and Cruze as part of Chevrolet’s updated car portfolio, which offers new styling, new technologies and more choices and value. It goes on sale later this year.

View full article

:puke: These all remind me of the Current Gen Honda's now. :puke:

And what is up with going stupid CVT and leaving 6 sp in the gas versions and not use the 9sp. At this rate, GM is going to lose me to Ford or even non-American.

GM, wake up as your killing good product for terrible bland blah auto's.

:nono::nono::nono:

• Upvote 1

Interesting, they're no longer calling the infotainment system MyLink?  I asked about Intellilink at the GMC do in NYC last week and they didn't have an answer.  The GMC systems are no longer branded as Intellilink.  Needs some looking into. 

That would make a really nice looking coupe.

large.2019-Chevrolet-Malibu-006.jpg.60cb

• Upvote 3

GMC site has the following listed for building:
image.png

Shocking to see a Denali XL fully loaded hit 90K. WOW

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of the big mouth bass look front end grille on these, I think the Impala is the only good looking Chevy car and that includes Corvette.  8 inch Nav screen is pretty standard stuff.  Why on earth would they use a CVT on the Malibu vs the 9 speed auto?  It is like Chevy is begging people to buy the Accord.

15 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I am not a fan of the big mouth bass look front end grille on these, I think the Impala is the only good looking Chevy car and that includes Corvette.  8 inch Nav screen is pretty standard stuff.  Why on earth would they use a CVT on the Malibu vs the 9 speed auto?  It is like Chevy is begging people to buy the Accord.

??

The Accord has a 1.5T and CVT.  So it's not like they're going to get a different transmission there.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

The CVT thing is a little confusing to me as they already have development costs wrapped up into a 9spd. 

I assume it is a cost thing. CVTs are cheap and they're great for fuel economy. The 9-speed has got to be an expensive piece of machinery. 

Altima, Accord, Legacy, and now Malibu are all using CVTs. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Agree that I also do not like the Big Mouth Billy bass look and wonder about why they are not using the 9 spd tranny and are going to a CVT?

Good. Now that some negatives have poured in, I could now unashamedly do some bashing of my own of the re-freshed Malibu.

The new Big Mouth Billy Bass face of the Malibu looks like shyte! 

On the Cruze, it aint that much better. 

The Fusion re-freshed face is a million times better. And that too is a year older than the Malibu.... I CANNOT believe Ford is thinking about ditching the Fusion. :palm:

About the CVT transmission. 

I heard a rumor

that CVT transmissions are really not all that reliable. Nissan's CVT to be exact. The steel belt...unlike Superman, is not indestructible.  

So why for the possible headaches? 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Good. Now that some negatives have poured in, I could now unashamedly do some bashing of my own of the re-freshed Malibu.

The new Big Mouth Billy Bass face of the Malibu looks like shyte! 

On the Cruze, it aint that much better. 

The Fusion re-freshed face is a million times better. And that too is a year older than the Malibu.... I CANNOT believe Ford is thinking about ditching the Fusion. :palm:

About the CVT transmission. 

CVTs are only any decent when there is some relatively good low end torque.  The 1.5T isn't spectacular in that regard.

The only Chevy I like with that face is the Traverse. 

nydn-2018-chevrolet-traverse-high-country-black-profile.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the new Traverse looks good (by crossover standards).  The Chevy look works there.  I read an Accord review with the 2 liter so that was a 9 speed I think, I didn't realize they used a CVT now in the base car, because they used to use a 6 speed auto I think.

11 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I think the new Traverse looks good (by crossover standards).  The Chevy look works there.  I read an Accord review with the 2 liter so that was a 9 speed I think, I didn't realize they used a CVT now in the base car, because they used to use a 6 speed auto I think.

Malibu and Accord power train options are pretty near evenly matched. Probably more so than any other in the class.

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Malibu and Accord power train options are pretty near evenly matched. Probably more so than any other in the class.

Similar set up, but the Accord 1.5T makes 30 more hp than Chevy's and gets better gas mileage.  And the Accord has a rather good interior, they really did that well. 

• Upvote 1

1.5T + CVT v. 1.5T + CVT

2.0T + 9speed v. 2.0T + 10speed

Hybrid CVT v. Hybrid CVT

The offerings are pretty darn close.

Each one has pluses and minuses.  The Malibu and Accord are quite competitive here.  For the interior, add in the newest Mazda 6 and you have probably the three top interiors in the segment.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Interesting, they're no longer calling the infotainment system MyLink?  I asked about Intellilink at the GMC do in NYC last week and they didn't have an answer.  The GMC systems are no longer branded as Intellilink.  Needs some looking into. 

That would make a really nice looking coupe.

large.2019-Chevrolet-Malibu-006.jpg.60cb

didn't this start with Cadillac's infotainment upgrade?  Visteon, Delphi, Harman? is providing the whole systems now?  The system in our pacifica has the same font as the new cadillac infotainment.  I wonder if these systems are not all starting to come either from the same manufacturer or one or two typical vendors....... and thus using an industry standard font or something

image.png

Edited by regfootball

Funny story, but not, and true.  The dealer when they changed the oil on my 1.5t a couple weeks ago said the oil leak was back.  So i brought it in again to fix it (again).  BUt then they said it wasn't leaking ("Just some residue left over").  Some of you have seen my complaints about the power in the car (being borderline unacceptable).  Well, two things happened recently.  First was, i am on the freeway and a large commercial truck pulls into the lane RIGHT behind my car....literally it was moving over to free up the left lane and had not seen me in the middle lane.  I can swear he may be have missed my rear end and bumper by 3-10 feet at 70 mph.  I saw this transpiring in the rear view mirror, and it scared the shit out of me.  I FLOORED it like my life depended on it and the CAR WOULD NOT get up and go!  No power, no tranny help.  I could not escape the situation!  At least the truck driver saw their mistake and slowed down.  So i mentioned this to my wife after she told me her story.  She never drives the car , but one day did and she told me 'it seems like the car is losing power'.  So when i was getting the car checked, i told them about the sense of losing power (since this engine has a rep of cracked pistons and other maladies to go with its low power / losing power on some malibu sites).  So they claim to have done yet another ECU upgrade.  I haven't noticed a power difference and now mpg seems to have taken a 10-15% hit.........

When this lease is hope i was so hoping that the 2.0 would be an accessible option in cloth seat Malibu, but instead I get to dream about a CVT!!!!!!

Chevy needs to think about their relentless CAFE and cost cutting pushes here.  Do you want buyers who like the car or not.  I just saw on the car and driver FB post for this another malibu 1.5 owner like me complaining about the lack of juice in the 1.5.  I do love the gas mileage when i take trips but Chevy seems to be only concerned with autonomous vehicles, CAFE, no v6's, smaller and smaller interiors, removing good styling....I think GM needs product people again.  They are too consumed with PR, social media, etc.  EPA may rollback some CAFE soon and not a moment too soon.  I am for good mpg but there is a middle ground too and 1.5 + CVT is something that is being forced..... at least give the choice of the 2.0 on the lower trim cars or give us a 1.8 option.  Or even the v6.

Rumor is the Impala will get cut soon too and in which case no Chevy v6 sedan.  I love turbo fours but after this Malibu and my two Chrysler vans with their v6, i am missing the v6 again..... 

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I may skip the Malibu next time because of the CVT and just find a base equipped Traverse as my next ride.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1

Maybe GM wants all of us to buy the crossovers rather than the sedans, since the firm makes more profits that way.

I would rather have an Envision or an XT5, but if I were to go Chevy, the Impala is the best choice (for me).  As for the smaller cars, it is obvious why Chevy is using the same front-end look: $$$$$.

• Upvote 1

Well, I did ask for a base hatch...guess I got my wish.....

Like the RS pack for the Mali..needed a sporty package.

GIves me more good options if things change in the economy....

• Upvote 1

I think the updates look good.  Good to see them checking their own freshness dates.  Not a fan of CVT after owning one and driving two others fairly often.

CVT sucks, people know that, ugly refresh, GM seems to be focused on moving everyone whether they like it or not to CUV/SUV/Trucks as they kill off cars. Yet that just seems narrow thinking in my business book.

Why can the American auto companies not figure out how to keep a couple good looking, selling auto's around and still also supply what the bulk of the public has moved too. <_<

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

For once I could not agree more.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:48 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

For once I could not agree more.

Why would anyone buy an Accord when they can buy a CR-V or a Pilot instead these days?

Then again, GM wants us to buy more Chevy CUVs for one reason: the search for more money.

• Upvote 2

Now I'm wondering (hoping) the Colorado/Canyon receive a facelift as well for 2019.  And maybe a new seat design.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, regfootball said:

Funny story, but not, and true.  The dealer when they changed the oil on my 1.5t a couple weeks ago said the oil leak was back.  So i brought it in again to fix it (again).  BUt then they said it wasn't leaking ("Just some residue left over").  Some of you have seen my complaints about the power in the car (being borderline unacceptable).  Well, two things happened recently.  First was, i am on the freeway and a large commercial truck pulls into the lane RIGHT behind my car....literally it was moving over to free up the left lane and had not seen me in the middle lane.  I can swear he may be have missed my rear end and bumper by 3-10 feet at 70 mph.  I saw this transpiring in the rear view mirror, and it scared the &#036;h&#33; out of me.  I FLOORED it like my life depended on it and the CAR WOULD NOT get up and go!  No power, no tranny help.  I could not escape the situation!  At least the truck driver saw their mistake and slowed down.  So i mentioned this to my wife after she told me her story.  She never drives the car , but one day did and she told me 'it seems like the car is losing power'.  So when i was getting the car checked, i told them about the sense of losing power (since this engine has a rep of cracked pistons and other maladies to go with its low power / losing power on some malibu sites).  So they claim to have done yet another ECU upgrade.  I haven't noticed a power difference and now mpg seems to have taken a 10-15% hit.........

When this lease is hope i was so hoping that the 2.0 would be an accessible option in cloth seat Malibu, but instead I get to dream about a CVT!!!!!!

Chevy needs to think about their relentless CAFE and cost cutting pushes here.  Do you want buyers who like the car or not.  I just saw on the car and driver FB post for this another malibu 1.5 owner like me complaining about the lack of juice in the 1.5.  I do love the gas mileage when i take trips but Chevy seems to be only concerned with autonomous vehicles, CAFE, no v6's, smaller and smaller interiors, removing good styling....I think GM needs product people again.  They are too consumed with PR, social media, etc.  EPA may rollback some CAFE soon and not a moment too soon.  I am for good mpg but there is a middle ground too and 1.5 + CVT is something that is being forced..... at least give the choice of the 2.0 on the lower trim cars or give us a 1.8 option.  Or even the v6.

Rumor is the Impala will get cut soon too and in which case no Chevy v6 sedan.  I love turbo fours but after this Malibu and my two Chrysler vans with their v6, i am missing the v6 again..... 

I may skip the Malibu next time because of the CVT and just find a base equipped Traverse as my next ride.

Luckily there's an easy fix.. Don't buy a Malibu with the 1.5 next time. Also, make sure you take it for a good test drive because that also would have prevented this. 

• Upvote 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It has been talked about for quite sometime, but Hyundai is making it official today at the Detroit Auto Show. The Korean automaker introduced their first N-Line model, the 2019 Elantra GT N-Line.
      N-Line brings forth a number of the exterior design cues and changes to suspension found on the standard N models to the basic models. For the Elantra GT, N-Line will be taking the place of the Sport.
      For the exterior, the N-Line brings a unique front grille, lower front spoiler, blacked-out side mirrors, and 18-inch N-Line wheels. Step inside to find a leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather sport seats with the ’N’ logo, updated instrument cluster, and red accents to help differentiate this model from the standard Elantra GT.
      Under the skin, Hyundai has given the Elantra GT N-Line’s suspension the once-over with stiffer springs, new engine mounts, thicker stability bars, and a set of Michelin PS4 summer tires if you get the six-speed manual. The seven-speed DCT sticks with a set of all-season Hankooks. Hyundai is retaining the turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder with 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet.
      Pricing for the 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line will begin at $24,185 for the manual and $25,285 for the DCT. Prices include an $885 destination charge. You can go to your nearest Hyundai dealer now to check them out.
      Gallery: 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line
      Source: Hyundai
      Hyundai Debuts First U.S. ‘N Line’ Model with 2019 Elantra GT Lineup
      N Line is an exciting new trim level in the Hyundai ‘N’ product portfolio N Line focuses on sporty design cues and refined powertrain/chassis dynamics FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Jan. 14, 2019 - Complementing the performance of Elantra GT is the announcement of the new 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line trim. Elantra GT N Line is the first N Line model for the United States from Hyundai. N Line trims add sporty design elements and refined powertrain/chassis upgrades to existing Hyundai products. N Line is part of Hyundai’s ‘N’ product portfolio that includes the brand’s growing ultimate ‘N’ range of vehicles (Veloster N, i30 N, i30 Fastback N). The 2019 Elantra GT N Line replaces the 2018 Elantra GT Sport and signals more N Line models to come on future Hyundai products. Elantra GT N Line and the 2019 Elantra GT are on sale now.
      The 2019 Elantra GT continues to bring increased utility and enhanced driving dynamics to the compact hatchback segment. Elantra GT and the new N Line trim are poised to compete head-on with hatchback competitors and provide a fun-to-drive alternative to small CUVs. Elantra GT is the best of both worlds.  
      2019 Elantra GT Changes
      New Elantra GT N Line added to the lineup Elantra GT Sport is dropped from the lineup (replaced by the Elantra GT N Line) The entry-level Elantra GT is a carryover model   Panoramic sunroof and leather seating surfaces added to 2019 Elantra GT Style Package “Hyundai N models satisfy the needs of performance-oriented enthusiasts with exclusive, custom-tuned powertrain and chassis applications,” said Thomas Schemera, executive vice president, Hyundai Motor Group’s Product Planning & Strategy Division.” “N Line is designed for those buyers craving N’s sporty styling cues coupled with performance-tuned suspension upgrades, all at compelling price points.”
      Design Elements
      The Elantra GT N Line takes eye-catching design elements directly from the i30 N. At the front, the Elantra GT N Line has a lower front spoiler for increased aerodynamic efficiency and a unique N Line version of Hyundai’s Cascading Grille with a distinctive silver character line. At the side, blacked out side mirrors with turn signals, N Line badging, N Line 18-inch wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40 R18 summer tires change the profile of the car (summer tires are only available with the manual transmission). At the rear, the unique bumper fascia further accentuates the N theme. 
      Standard interior trim for the Elantra GT N Line includes:
      Unique leather-wrapped perforated N steering wheel with metallic spokes N Line leather sport seats with N logo N Line gearshift features sporty metal accents and leather inserts A sporty instrument cluster and instrument panel accents Red stitching and accents differentiate the N Line from the standard Elantra GT N Line Sport Seats
      The N Line sports seats feature heated leather seating surfaces, N logos and red contrast stitching and side bolsters. They also keep the driver comfortable with power lumbar support and extendable seat cushions. 
      Elantra GT N Line mechanical improvements include:

ELANTRA GT N LINE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
      As with the exterior and interior, the driving experience has been further enhanced for N Line duty with new suspension and steering tuning, revised powertrain mounts and summer tires. Additionally, Elantra GT N Line’s multi-link independent rear suspension with larger front and rear brake rotors improves noise, vibration harshness and driving performance. 

The Elantra GT N Line includes a 1.6-liter turbocharged-GDI engine with six-speed manual transmission or an optional seven-speed DCT with larger steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. This drivetrain produces 201 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. torque to meet performance and fuel efficiency needs. 
      HYUNDAI SMART SENSE
      Advanced safety features contributed to a Top Safety Pick by IIHS for the 2019 Elantra GT. The following SmartSense features are available on the Elantra GT N Line models:
      Smart Cruise Control with start/stop capability  Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist High Beam Assist Lane Keep Assist Driver Attention Warning  INFOTAINMENT: AUDIO/VIDEO/NAVIGATION (AVN) 5.0 WITH HD TRAFFIC
      Available on the 2019 Elantra N Line is Hyundai’s AVN 5.0 infotainment system. This system features a fast processor for greater responsiveness, as well as an eight-inch screen. Using presets with AVN 5.0 is a snap because AM, FM and SiriusXM channels are combined on one screen. AVN 5.0 also includes HERE HD Traffic (without a subscription), bird’s eye view in Navigation maps and drivers get traffic flow and incident data without ever paying for a subscription via HD Radio.
      The Elantra GT N Line offers a technology package including the aforementioned feature as well as:
      Panoramic sunroof Eight-inch Navigation system (AVN 5.0) Blue Link Connected Car System Ventilated seats Power driver’s seat with lumbar support Infinity Premium Audio with seven speakers including subwoofer (deletes two-stage rear cargo floor) Wireless charging pad (Qi) Smart Cruise Control with start/stop capability Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist High Beam Assist Lane Keep Assist Driver Attention Warning Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Blue Link and HomeLink The Elantra GT N Line also includes a proximity key entry with electronic push button start as standard equipment. PRICING

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It has been talked about for quite sometime, but Hyundai is making it official today at the Detroit Auto Show. The Korean automaker introduced their first N-Line model, the 2019 Elantra GT N-Line.
      N-Line brings forth a number of the exterior design cues and changes to suspension found on the standard N models to the basic models. For the Elantra GT, N-Line will be taking the place of the Sport.
      For the exterior, the N-Line brings a unique front grille, lower front spoiler, blacked-out side mirrors, and 18-inch N-Line wheels. Step inside to find a leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather sport seats with the ’N’ logo, updated instrument cluster, and red accents to help differentiate this model from the standard Elantra GT.
      Under the skin, Hyundai has given the Elantra GT N-Line’s suspension the once-over with stiffer springs, new engine mounts, thicker stability bars, and a set of Michelin PS4 summer tires if you get the six-speed manual. The seven-speed DCT sticks with a set of all-season Hankooks. Hyundai is retaining the turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder with 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet.
      Pricing for the 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line will begin at $24,185 for the manual and $25,285 for the DCT. Prices include an $885 destination charge. You can go to your nearest Hyundai dealer now to check them out.
      Gallery: 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line
      Source: Hyundai
      Hyundai Debuts First U.S. ‘N Line’ Model with 2019 Elantra GT Lineup
      N Line is an exciting new trim level in the Hyundai ‘N’ product portfolio N Line focuses on sporty design cues and refined powertrain/chassis dynamics FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Jan. 14, 2019 - Complementing the performance of Elantra GT is the announcement of the new 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line trim. Elantra GT N Line is the first N Line model for the United States from Hyundai. N Line trims add sporty design elements and refined powertrain/chassis upgrades to existing Hyundai products. N Line is part of Hyundai’s ‘N’ product portfolio that includes the brand’s growing ultimate ‘N’ range of vehicles (Veloster N, i30 N, i30 Fastback N). The 2019 Elantra GT N Line replaces the 2018 Elantra GT Sport and signals more N Line models to come on future Hyundai products. Elantra GT N Line and the 2019 Elantra GT are on sale now.
      The 2019 Elantra GT continues to bring increased utility and enhanced driving dynamics to the compact hatchback segment. Elantra GT and the new N Line trim are poised to compete head-on with hatchback competitors and provide a fun-to-drive alternative to small CUVs. Elantra GT is the best of both worlds.  
      2019 Elantra GT Changes
      New Elantra GT N Line added to the lineup Elantra GT Sport is dropped from the lineup (replaced by the Elantra GT N Line) The entry-level Elantra GT is a carryover model   Panoramic sunroof and leather seating surfaces added to 2019 Elantra GT Style Package “Hyundai N models satisfy the needs of performance-oriented enthusiasts with exclusive, custom-tuned powertrain and chassis applications,” said Thomas Schemera, executive vice president, Hyundai Motor Group’s Product Planning & Strategy Division.” “N Line is designed for those buyers craving N’s sporty styling cues coupled with performance-tuned suspension upgrades, all at compelling price points.”
      Design Elements
      The Elantra GT N Line takes eye-catching design elements directly from the i30 N. At the front, the Elantra GT N Line has a lower front spoiler for increased aerodynamic efficiency and a unique N Line version of Hyundai’s Cascading Grille with a distinctive silver character line. At the side, blacked out side mirrors with turn signals, N Line badging, N Line 18-inch wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40 R18 summer tires change the profile of the car (summer tires are only available with the manual transmission). At the rear, the unique bumper fascia further accentuates the N theme. 
      Standard interior trim for the Elantra GT N Line includes:
      Unique leather-wrapped perforated N steering wheel with metallic spokes N Line leather sport seats with N logo N Line gearshift features sporty metal accents and leather inserts A sporty instrument cluster and instrument panel accents Red stitching and accents differentiate the N Line from the standard Elantra GT N Line Sport Seats
      The N Line sports seats feature heated leather seating surfaces, N logos and red contrast stitching and side bolsters. They also keep the driver comfortable with power lumbar support and extendable seat cushions. 
      Elantra GT N Line mechanical improvements include:

ELANTRA GT N LINE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
      As with the exterior and interior, the driving experience has been further enhanced for N Line duty with new suspension and steering tuning, revised powertrain mounts and summer tires. Additionally, Elantra GT N Line’s multi-link independent rear suspension with larger front and rear brake rotors improves noise, vibration harshness and driving performance. 

The Elantra GT N Line includes a 1.6-liter turbocharged-GDI engine with six-speed manual transmission or an optional seven-speed DCT with larger steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. This drivetrain produces 201 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. torque to meet performance and fuel efficiency needs. 
      HYUNDAI SMART SENSE
      Advanced safety features contributed to a Top Safety Pick by IIHS for the 2019 Elantra GT. The following SmartSense features are available on the Elantra GT N Line models:
      Smart Cruise Control with start/stop capability  Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist High Beam Assist Lane Keep Assist Driver Attention Warning  INFOTAINMENT: AUDIO/VIDEO/NAVIGATION (AVN) 5.0 WITH HD TRAFFIC
      Available on the 2019 Elantra N Line is Hyundai’s AVN 5.0 infotainment system. This system features a fast processor for greater responsiveness, as well as an eight-inch screen. Using presets with AVN 5.0 is a snap because AM, FM and SiriusXM channels are combined on one screen. AVN 5.0 also includes HERE HD Traffic (without a subscription), bird’s eye view in Navigation maps and drivers get traffic flow and incident data without ever paying for a subscription via HD Radio.
      The Elantra GT N Line offers a technology package including the aforementioned feature as well as:
      Panoramic sunroof Eight-inch Navigation system (AVN 5.0) Blue Link Connected Car System Ventilated seats Power driver’s seat with lumbar support Infinity Premium Audio with seven speakers including subwoofer (deletes two-stage rear cargo floor) Wireless charging pad (Qi) Smart Cruise Control with start/stop capability Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist High Beam Assist Lane Keep Assist Driver Attention Warning Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Blue Link and HomeLink The Elantra GT N Line also includes a proximity key entry with electronic push button start as standard equipment. PRICING

• By William Maley
      Previous Page Next Page The RC F Track Edition won't have all of the spotlight to itself at Detroit next week. Lexus has revealed today the LC Convertible concept that will be rolling out on the auto show floor next week.
      Lexus is really stretching the definition of what it means to be a concept. To our eyes, the LC Convertible concept looks like it is ready to sit in the nearest Lexus showroom. Changes from the standard LC coupe include a slightly longer rear deck to house the power folding-top (we're thinking its a soft-top) and massive 22-inch alloy wheels. No mention of what's under the hood, but we're betting its the 5.0L V8 with 471 horsepower.
      While there are officially no plans to add a convertible version of the LC, statements from various company executives hint that it is being considered.
      “A production version of this concept would be exhilarating in many different ways. You would see its dynamic lines as you approach, hear its engine when you started it up and feel everything around you once on the road. It would engage the senses in a way that is unique and exciting every time you got behind the wheel,” said Tadao Mori, chief designer of the LC Convertible concept.
      Source: Lexus
      Lexus LC Convertible Concept Makes World Debut in Detroit
      Open top concept suggests future direction of LC flagship Dynamic design positions LC concept as a halo for the rest of the brand DETROIT (January 11, 2019) – Lexus shocked the automotive world in Detroit three years ago with the debut of the LC coupe. It was a testament to the brand’s new sense of creative ambition, but it was only just the beginning. Since then, the Lexus design team has been exploring the brand’s evolution and the latest result of those explorations will make its debut at the 2019 North American International Auto Show with the world premiere of the Lexus LC Convertible Concept.

An open-air roadster that is an artful reflection of the LC coupe, the design goal of the Convertible Concept was the expression of “ultimate beauty”. From the rake of the windshield to the smooth contours of the rear decklid that houses the convertible top, every line on the LC Convertible concept was drawn to evoke an emotional response. A stunning design from every angle, the LC Convertible concept stands as an aspirational halo vehicle for the entire Lexus lineup.

“This concept takes the unmistakable design of the LC coupe and reimagines it as a future convertible,” said Tadao Mori, chief designer of the LC Convertible concept. “It blends all the best aspects of the original coupe with the dynamic design of an open-air convertible.”

Long, low and lean, the LC Convertible concept retains the athletic proportions of the LC coupe. It’s a shape that evolved naturally from the original LC design, yet still manages to stand on its own with a unique identity. It blends uniquely Japanese aesthetics with the promise of sensory satisfaction that only a convertible can provide.

In addition to the visual appeal of the exterior sheetmetal, the LC Convertible concept attracts drivers and passengers alike with an allure of a cabin that caters to every need. From the comfort of its tailored seats to the feel of every switch and button, everything about this LC is designed to make even the most common trip feel like an occasion. Crisp white leather trim abounds while yellow accent stitching adds a pop of color without distracting from the subtle elegance of the overall design.

More than just a grand tourer, the strong exterior lines of the LC Convertible concept reinforce its performance pedigree. Its short overhangs, 22-inch wheels and wide stance are all reminders of this car’s performance potential.

“A production version of this concept would be exhilarating in many different ways. You would see its dynamic lines as you approach, hear its engine when you started it up and feel everything around you once on the road. It would engage the senses in a way that is unique and exciting every time you got behind the wheel,” said Mori-san.
      Previous Page Next Page
      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Previous Page Next Page The RC F Track Edition won't have all of the spotlight to itself at Detroit next week. Lexus has revealed today the LC Convertible concept that will be rolling out on the auto show floor next week.
      Lexus is really stretching the definition of what it means to be a concept. To our eyes, the LC Convertible concept looks like it is ready to sit in the nearest Lexus showroom. Changes from the standard LC coupe include a slightly longer rear deck to house the power folding-top (we're thinking its a soft-top) and massive 22-inch alloy wheels. No mention of what's under the hood, but we're betting its the 5.0L V8 with 471 horsepower.
      While there are officially no plans to add a convertible version of the LC, statements from various company executives hint that it is being considered.
      “A production version of this concept would be exhilarating in many different ways. You would see its dynamic lines as you approach, hear its engine when you started it up and feel everything around you once on the road. It would engage the senses in a way that is unique and exciting every time you got behind the wheel,” said Tadao Mori, chief designer of the LC Convertible concept.
      Source: Lexus
      Lexus LC Convertible Concept Makes World Debut in Detroit
      Open top concept suggests future direction of LC flagship Dynamic design positions LC concept as a halo for the rest of the brand DETROIT (January 11, 2019) – Lexus shocked the automotive world in Detroit three years ago with the debut of the LC coupe. It was a testament to the brand’s new sense of creative ambition, but it was only just the beginning. Since then, the Lexus design team has been exploring the brand’s evolution and the latest result of those explorations will make its debut at the 2019 North American International Auto Show with the world premiere of the Lexus LC Convertible Concept.

An open-air roadster that is an artful reflection of the LC coupe, the design goal of the Convertible Concept was the expression of “ultimate beauty”. From the rake of the windshield to the smooth contours of the rear decklid that houses the convertible top, every line on the LC Convertible concept was drawn to evoke an emotional response. A stunning design from every angle, the LC Convertible concept stands as an aspirational halo vehicle for the entire Lexus lineup.

“This concept takes the unmistakable design of the LC coupe and reimagines it as a future convertible,” said Tadao Mori, chief designer of the LC Convertible concept. “It blends all the best aspects of the original coupe with the dynamic design of an open-air convertible.”

Long, low and lean, the LC Convertible concept retains the athletic proportions of the LC coupe. It’s a shape that evolved naturally from the original LC design, yet still manages to stand on its own with a unique identity. It blends uniquely Japanese aesthetics with the promise of sensory satisfaction that only a convertible can provide.

In addition to the visual appeal of the exterior sheetmetal, the LC Convertible concept attracts drivers and passengers alike with an allure of a cabin that caters to every need. From the comfort of its tailored seats to the feel of every switch and button, everything about this LC is designed to make even the most common trip feel like an occasion. Crisp white leather trim abounds while yellow accent stitching adds a pop of color without distracting from the subtle elegance of the overall design.

More than just a grand tourer, the strong exterior lines of the LC Convertible concept reinforce its performance pedigree. Its short overhangs, 22-inch wheels and wide stance are all reminders of this car’s performance potential.

“A production version of this concept would be exhilarating in many different ways. You would see its dynamic lines as you approach, hear its engine when you started it up and feel everything around you once on the road. It would engage the senses in a way that is unique and exciting every time you got behind the wheel,” said Mori-san.
      Previous Page Next Page
    • By William Maley
      Nissan had originally planned on debuting their long-range variant of the Leaf EV back at the LA Auto Show. But with the arrest of chairman Carlos Ghosn, plans were scrapped and we were left wondering when the long-range Leaf would debut.
      Last night at the Consumer Electronics Show, Nissan unveiled the long-range variant known as the Leaf Plus - other parts of the world will know the model as the Leaf e+. The plus signifies a larger battery pack - 62 kWh. This boosts range from 150 to 226 miles. Along with the bigger battery, Nissan has bumped up the output of the electric motor from 147 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque to 215 and 250 respectively. 
      For recharging, Nissan developed a faster 70 kW charging system that will allow the Leaf e+ have quick charge times similar to the standard Leaf. A 60 percent recharge (about 90 miles) takes about 30 minutes with the standard Leaf. That could mean a 30 minute quick charge in the Leaf Plus could net you about 135 miles. No mention of how long it takes for a charge on 120 or 240V chargers.
      No word on pricing, but we're expecting a sizeable bump when compared to the standard Leaf. The Plus version arrives at dealers this spring in U.S.
      Gallery: 2019 Nissan Leaf e+/Leaf Plus
      Source: Nissan
      Nissan LEAF e+ joins world’s best-selling electric vehicle family
      New powertrain option offers expanded range and power LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Nissan today unveiled the Nissan LEAF e+, further broadening the appeal of the world's best-selling electric car*1 by offering a new powertrain with additional power and range.
      The "e+" refers to the increased energy density of the model's 62 kWh battery pack and the higher output of its powertrain. The new powertrain adds to the car's range by approximately 40 percent, with EPA-estimated range of up to 226 miles, ensuring that there's a Nissan LEAF to meet the driving needs of a wider range of customers.
      "The new Nissan LEAF e+ offers all of the style, convenience and electric vehicle benefits that have helped make LEAF the best-selling electric vehicle in the world, plus even more driving excitement, range, power and choice," said Denis Le Vot, senior vice president and chairman, Nissan North America. "Customers now have a selection of powertrains and models to best suit their driving needs."
      The LEAF e+ will be sold under the LEAF PLUS Series in the US and Canada, with each trim level receiving its own designation of S PLUS, SV PLUS and SL PLUS. Globally, the vehicle will be referred to as the Nissan LEAF e+. 
      More than 380,000 Nissan LEAF vehicles have been sold globally since the 100 percent electric model first went on sale in 2010, with over 128,000 sold in the US. Equipped with advanced technologies including ProPILOT Assist semi-autonomous driving system and e-Pedal mode for one-pedal driving, the LEAF embodies Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company's vision for changing how cars are powered, driven and integrated into society.
      "Nissan Intelligent Mobility is at the core of everything we do and the new Nissan LEAF e+ takes this vision even further," Le Vot continued. "EV's will play a significant part in our product lineup as we move forward and will lead the way to providing an efficient and sustainable future for the world."
      Having pioneered mass-market electric cars with the LEAF, Nissan is continuing to promote alternative vehicle transportation. The LEAF family of cars play a vital role in Nissan's efforts to integrate electric vehicles and energy systems into customer's lives – creating an "EV ecosystem." Among these efforts is Nissan Energy, the company's initiative for its electric vehicles to easily connect with energy systems to charge their batteries, power homes and businesses, or feed energy back to power grids, as well as new efforts to reuse batteries.*2
      The Nissan LEAF PLUS Series is scheduled to join the LEAF at Nissan dealerships in Japan in January 2019. U.S. sales are expected to begin in spring 2019 and European sales to commence in mid-2019.
      Nissan Intelligent Mobility
      The Nissan LEAF e+ represents a step forward in each of the three key areas of the Nissan Intelligent Mobility vision: Intelligent Power, Intelligent Driving and Intelligent Integration.
      Nissan Intelligent Power: increased range and performance
      The Nissan LEAF e+ features a new version of the LEAF's revolutionary electric powertrain, delivering excellent energy efficiency and robust torque and power output. While the current LEAF meets the needs of many customers with its driving range of EPA-estimated 150 miles, the LEAF e+ offers an EPA-estimated range of up to 226 miles, allowing customers the ability to do more between charges.*3
      The high-capacity battery and more powerful, 160 kW motor in the LEAF e+ combine to produce 45 percent more power and 250 lb-ft (340 Nm) of torque, enabling faster acceleration when driving at high speeds. Accelerating from 50 mph (80 kph) to 75 mph (120 kph) is nearly 13 percent quicker. This allows the LEAF e+ to confidently pass slower-moving vehicles, exit corners faster and more seamlessly, and merge easily with fast-moving traffic. The top speed has increased by approximately 10 percent for comfortable cruising.
      Thanks to the available new 70 kW (100 kW peak) Quick Charging system, the 2019 Nissan LEAF e+ can charge more efficiently than ever.*3 Based on early testing, Nissan LEAF e+ owners can expect similar charging times when hooked up to a 100 kW charger as current LEAF owners do with a 50 kW charger, despite a 55 percent larger battery storage capacity.
      Even with a 25 percent increase in energy density and the increase in energy storage capacity, the LEAF e+ battery pack is almost the same size and configuration as the pack in the Nissan LEAF. Other than a 5-millimeter increase in overall height (16-inch wheels), the car's exterior and interior dimensions are unchanged.
      Because ownership satisfaction and peace of mind are pivotal for all Nissan LEAF owners, the battery limited warranty of 8 years/160,000 km (whichever occurs first) is standard for all versions.
      Nissan Intelligent Driving: innovative ProPILOT Assist features and smooth e-Pedal operation
      Playing a leading role in Nissan Intelligent Driving is ProPILOT Assist, an in-lane semi-autonomous driving technology that can automatically adjust the distance to the vehicle ahead, using a speed preset by the driver (between about 18 mph and 62 mph). ProPILOT Assist can also help the driver steer and keep the vehicle centered in its lane. If the car in front stops, ProPILOT Assist can automatically apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a full halt if necessary. After coming to a full stop, the vehicle can remain in place even if the driver's foot is off the brake. If traffic restarts, the car will resume driving when the driver touches the steering wheel-mounted ProPILOT Assist switch again or lightly presses the accelerator to activate the system. All these functions can reduce stress when driving on the highway in both heavy and fast-moving traffic.
      Further enhancing the LEAF's driving experience is e-Pedal, which allows the driver to start, accelerate, decelerate and stop using only the accelerator pedal.*4 To match the LEAF e+'s additional power and increased mass, Nissan has reprogrammed the e-Pedal software for smoother operation and enhanced pedal feedback, especially for operation in reverse, and for smoother and more rapid deceleration, making it easier to stop the car using e-Pedal, even when backing up.
      In addition to ProPILOT Assist and e-Pedal, every LEAF is equipped with advanced safety technologies including Intelligent Lane Intervention, Lane Departure Warning, Intelligent Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Intelligent Around View Monitor with moving object detection.
      Nissan Intelligent Integration: updated interface, larger display and convenient updates
      The new Nissan LEAF links drivers, vehicles and communities through its convenient graphic-based Human Machine Interface. It allows the owner to use the NissanConnect smartphone app to perform tasks such as monitoring the vehicle's state of charge, scheduling charging to benefit from optimal energy tariffs, finding the nearest charging station, and heating or cooling the car before getting in.
      New for the LEAF e+ (on North American and EU models) is a larger, thin-film transistor, full-color 8-inch display, with an updated navigation system that can be linked to a compatible smartphone. The display features smartphone-like operation including swiping, scrolling and tapping. Applications, maps and firmware are updated over the air with the simple touch of a button, instead of having to manually update by USB or at a Nissan dealership.*5
      Other new features include Door-to-Door Navigation, which syncs the vehicle's navigation system with your compatible smartphone for seamless driving and walking directions. The Connections feature allows any of the car's passengers to quickly and easily connect to a device within the vehicle.*6
      Integration goes beyond what's in the vehicle and now includes Nissan Energy, the company's existing and future initiatives for Vehicle-to-Grid, Vehicle-to-Building and Vehicle-to-Home connections, generating solar electricity, as well as reusing batteries. With Nissan Energy, LEAF vehicles are part of a larger electric vehicle ecosystem.*2
      Sleek, modern design
      One of the most eye-catching exterior elements of the new Nissan LEAF is the car's sleek, streamlined silhouette, which maximizes aerodynamic efficiency. The car's bold fascia features Nissan's signature V-Motion grille with blue 3D mesh. The car's streamlined profile gives it a sporty look, while the rear features a distinctive tail light design.
      The LEAF e+ carries over most of the LEAF's design. Subtle clues to its e+ designation include a revised front fascia with blue highlights and an "e+" logo plate on the underside of the charge port lid.
      There will also be a rear trim level badge for U.S. and Canada which will be designated as S PLUS, SV PLUS and SL PLUS.
      Like the standard model, the LEAF e+ boasts a spacious, highly functional interior with a quality, high-tech feel. The combination of premium materials throughout the cabin befits a luxury vehicle. Vibrant blue contrast stitching for the steering wheel, seats and instrument panel accentuate the car as a Nissan electric vehicle.
      Pricing
      North America pricing will be announced closer to on-sale date.

View full article
  • My Clubs