General Motorcycle Chat

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

WEEEEEAAAKKK!!! They're built to ride not trailer! lol 

What kind of bike do you have anyway? 

I don't own it yet, but this is what I've decided on if I can ever stop having big bills biting me in the ass and Trump stops tanking the stock market. (That's not a political statement, his actions have a direct effect on the stock market in the past two months, all bad ones)

BMW_R_nine_T.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, ykX said:

@Drew Dowdell Nice bike! I love naked standard bikes I always lusted after the Ducati Monster 796 but the wife said no bikes until kids grow up :)

So I will have to buy a Mustang probably

Ducati%20Monster%20796%2011%20%204.jpg

BMW Loaned me an R Nine T about 18 months ago and I fell in love.  I'm trying to keep under 500lbs in order to use the mototote (500 lbs + 100 lbs for mototote = 600 lbs hitch weight = Avalanche / Durango / Grand Cherokee / Canyon).

Since then, I've also been loaned a few Hondas and the CB1200 is a close second, but a bit too heavy. I also like the Kawasaki Vulcan S, but at 650cc, it's only a backup option. the Vulcan S can be found for like $4500 used though.

The R Nine T is just about the biggest motor you can find (1200cc) on a bike under 500 lbs that isn't a pure sports bike.  I've never liked riding crotch rockets. I've got too much crotch for it to be comfortable. :P

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't own it yet, but this is what I've decided on if I can ever stop having big bills biting me in the ass and Trump stops tanking the stock market. (That's not a political statement, his actions have a direct effect on the stock market in the past two months, all bad ones)

BMW_R_nine_T.jpg

Nine R T? Or something along those lines? 

I love it. I finally convinced my dad to buy a BMW. He's wanted one all his life and last year he was just throwing the idea of a new bike(he had been on a Honda ST1300 since 05) and I said what about the BMW you've always wanted. Without even looking he said it cost too much blah blah blah.. I just grabbed my phone and checked some prices real quick and showed him and it peaked his interest like "No way? That's not out of reason at all". I told him to just finall buy exactly what you want because if you don't, you'll still always say "I want a BMW motorcycle some day".  

Two or three weeks later he test drove one and a week after he picked up his BMW F800 GT. It isn't the prettiest thing to me but he loves it. I think he puts around 5000 miles a year on his bikes as he commutes on it in the summer(only a 6 mile round trip to work). 

His doesn't have the center bag, yet. I'm sure he will eventually get one if my mom wants to ride on the back again. 

BMW F800GT.jpg

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, ykX said:

I love naked standard bikes

Naked sport bikes are the sweet spot in the motorcycle world.

I absolutely LOVE them. There are so many of them now too. It used to just be a Ducati Monster or a Triumph Speed Triple. Not each brand has at least 1 or 2 and Ducati's entire lineup is naked sport bikes! 

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Good Question as a crotch rocket would not be fun to drive down to Florida.

Depends. Some people, like myself, feel more at home on a bike like that. I feel completely out of control on a typical cruiser with my feet out front. I'm also shorter to my on a crotch rocket isn't all cramped up like you would be on the same bike. The sweet spot, imo, is the naked sport bikes. They have actual handle bars and no clip ons and you sit up a little higher and they usually have foot controls a little lower as well so your legs are stretched out a little more as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like the R Nine T and the Honda CB1200 because they're modern bikes that look retro without looking like a Harley. I am not a classic Harley guy.

I love any bike that looks retro.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I really would like a Ducati...but at 52...I think I am down with owning just comfy cruisers.

Here is a bike for us older gentlemen!
img.jpg?id=5a037bf42a0ab72a4c688f54&w=84

Yamaha Niken

Yamaha used to have a nice road tripping bike that I liked but just learned that they no longer build it. So now there seems to be no bike I like, gonna have to look at the EV's again. :P 

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

@dfelt No, Yamaha is too extreme.  This is the one (Actually, I would love to have it too)

UralcTReview15.jpg

2018-Ural-Gear-Up1-1024x683.jpg

The local Ural dealer invited me to a test drive event later in the month for these.  Definitely going to go. 

I've been wanting to start this section for a while and never got around to it.  This thread is for general motorcycle discussion. Feel free to add additional discussions to this forum for other motorcycle new/topics/etc as you see fit.  Eventually, I plan to add news coverage and expand the section further. 

• Agree 2

I've never ridden a motorcycle, but will admit to being bike-curious.  My older brother had 3 in his 20s, crashed them all.  A Yamaha, Norton and a Truimph. In his 50s, he got back into them--has 5 now--two 70s Yamahas (XS1100s) an 80s Honda something,  and a couple 80s Kawasakis.  

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If I was to get back into bike riding, it would have to be like this yamaha bike.

See the source image

Nothing Else has really interested me except maybe this since it is an EV!.

See the source image

Or this

See the source image

Or this which is the only Harvey Davidson I would ever consider riding.

See the source image

This new EV startup looks comfy! :P

See the source image

Not sure if anyone makes something with a low enough seat.  Plus, one critical safety aspect of motorcycling is noise.  It is hard enough dealing with 4 wheelers who miss you in their mirrors, or WINDSHIELDS, let alone if I were riding something silent.  Silent bike = no thanks.  The Urals are cool, I like those.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Not sure if anyone makes something with a low enough seat.  Plus, one critical safety aspect of motorcycling is noise.  It is hard enough dealing with 4 wheelers who miss you in their mirrors, or WINDSHIELDS, let alone if I were riding something silent.  Silent bike = no thanks.  The Urals are cool, I like those.

My second choice might be good for you.  Kawasaki built it to be adjustable for people of different heights.  There are 3 seating positions, three pedal positions, and two different handle bar positions available. You can ride out of the dealer with a bike literally customized for your particular stature. I took one out for a spin that was already set up for me and I thought it was a super comfortable bike. It runs the Kawasaki Ninja 650 2-cylinder engine and has a very interesting feel.

On the used market, they are very inexpensive... generally between $4,000 - $6,000.   The BMW I posted above runs $9,000 to $11,000 used, so it is harder to pull the trigger on that.

Kawasaki Vulcan S

Kawasaki-Vulcan-S-3-2.jpg

• Agree 3

On 4/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've never ridden a motorcycle, but will admit to being bike-curious.  My older brother had 3 in his 20s, crashed them all.  A Yamaha, Norton and a Truimph. In his 50s, he got back into them--has 5 now--two 70s Yamahas (XS1000s) an 80s Honda something,  and a couple 80s Kawasakis.  

Motorcycles are a wonderful thing. It might sound cliche but there is no other feeling of freedom than when you're just riding along on a motorcycle out on some open roads. 

• 3 months later...

Seems Harley Davidson is showing off their new lineup of bikes including their new EB line or Electric Bikes.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/30/harley-davidson-pan-america-streetfighter-cruiser-concepts/#slide-7386686

This is their new Pan America 1250 bike, picking up where deceased Buell Ulysses left off according to the story.

harley-davidson-pan-america-1.jpg

Evolved Live Wire bike

harley-davidson-livewire-concept-profile

Electric off road bike concept

harley-davidson-electric-concept-01-1.jp

Harley is considering a electric mountain bike.

harley-davidson-electric-concept-03-1.jp

harley-davidson-electric-concepts-1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like V-Twins. 

Only Yamaha has ever had a silky smooth V-Twin I would consider. Harley's are just too much vibrations rocking along with noise.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think these look great!  They should have done these at least 10 years ago!

harley-davidson-streetfighter-concept-02

This is the only one that I would consider driving and it looks fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like V-Twins. 

Sporty twins are awesome. I've ridden a buddy's Aprilia Tuono and absolutely loved the effortless power. You didn't need to rev it to go and if you really want to get nasty you can ring her tight. 

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is the only one that I would consider driving and it looks fantastic. 

Sporty twins are awesome. I've ridden a buddy's Aprilia Tuono and absolutely loved the effortless power. You didn't need to rev it to go and if you really want to get nasty you can ring her tight. 

"Twins" are fine, it's when they're in a V that I don't seem to care for them (Disclaimer, I've yet to drive a Moto Guzzi, so not sure on that).  They just feel too lumpy and unrefined even if they've got good power.  I tried out an Indian Scout about a month ago.  Ergonomically, it was a great bike, but I just didn't care for the lumpy engine. 

Now an inline twin like the Kawasaki I posted above or a flat twin like the BMW, those I like.  

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

"Twins" are fine, it's when they're in a V that I don't seem to care for them (Disclaimer, I've yet to drive a Moto Guzzi, so not sure on that).  They just feel too lumpy and unrefined even if they've got good power.  I tried out an Indian Scout about a month ago.  Ergonomically, it was a great bike, but I just didn't care for the lumpy engine. 

Now an inline twin like the Kawasaki I posted above or a flat twin like the BMW, those I like.  

Yeah, I'm talking about V-Twins. Put them in a sporty bike that still likes to rev and they're great. 

V-Twins in bikes like these are fantastic. 

Monster 796.jpg

Tuono.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'll have to try more of them.  I'm not one to turn down the opportunity to try a bike.

These definitely rev higher and are 1000 times smoother than your typical cruiser, large displacement, V-twin. 

They aren't as smooth as an inline-4 but their power delivery is way better, unless you're on a race track.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

These definitely rev higher and are 1000 times smoother than your typical cruiser, large displacement, V-twin. 

They aren't as smooth as an inline-4 but their power delivery is way better, unless you're on a race track.

I still haven't bought anything.  The reality is that I am not around enough this summer to ride it, so I haven't been doing much shopping.  I'm still on the Kawasaki Vulcan S, or BMW R9T, or Honda CB1100EX