GM Interns Return

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a FWD car, it was a 1985 Audi 5000S Sedan. It was nice, basically looked like a taurus. The back end had almost no weight ( to the point where one of my stronger friends could lift up the back of the car without a problem.) In the snow the car always got me to school and home. The only issue was one hill i have to come down and make a left turn on, the car no matter how slow i went would always have some insane hill slide fishtail kind of action as the back slid down the hill while i turned, the FWD could always power and manuever out of it, but it was enough to speed up the pulse. I have driven that same hill in my mom's old car, a 1988 olds custom cruiser wagon, it was a huge, heavy RWD wagon with some power. It never had that problem on that hill, the back (and the car in general) was heavy enough to hold it to the road, and the RWD only once led us into a snow bank, but there was some heavy crosswind that day. I have had good and bad experience with both RWD and FWD, i learned how to drive and handle both. RWD in a nice old heavy car handles fine in the snow, if it is a nice heavy sedan, it has the weight to push the tires into the snow and all is well, on these light cars it seems FWD is critical for less experienced drivers. Currently i have a 4wd, it seems to have the best of both worlds, on that same hill, it has no issue up or down, it has good power and good handling(the 4wd has the auto4wd selected so it is usually rwd) I like it and the AWD seems the best option to me, there are times when having some extra drive wheels just helps. I can handle all 3 drive types, but my car had 4 wheels so i like to be able to have all perform to their potential. In the end RWD for big and heavy sedans/cars/wagons, it will work in the snow in those. Sports cars as well FWD for small and light cars, it is forgiving and they aren't usually powerful (my audi had an inline 5 cylinder!) FWD is good in the right car but don't get too obsessed putting it everywhere! AWD for sports cars and SUV's and Trucks and crossovers and as an option on many of the other sedans. Its a good system but the others shouldn't be ignored completely for it. AWD with the ability to turn it off so that a car is only RWD is nice, consider this for wide implementation.

Wow.  What interesting assumptions, reg.  These show you obviously do not know my sister.  At all.

She takes off quicker from a stoplight than some guy drivers I know.

People (guys mostly) honk their horns at her for other reasons....

And, sorry, nothing in the bed.

*shakes head*

People and their assumptions amuse and anger me at the same time.
Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"My depth perception must be off again" ... Saliva ... 'Rest In Pieces'

[post="5815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well, whether its your sister or not, its all too easy to see on a wintery day around here, someone in their RWD only truck or Camaro or Mustang or beater caprice, struggling like HELL to get a start off a 2% incline at a stoplight and 10-20 mad as hell drivers behind them saying 'get a front wheel drive car you ****!!!' because they can't get through the stoplight before it turns red due to that person in the truck not getting further than about 40 feet before the damn thing turns red. Edited by regfootball

really unloaded 2wd pu's have always been the worst possible thing and thats always been a givin. Even the old timers that hated the comming of FWD more that our current smoke em boys knew the PU was the last thing you wanted to take out on a snowy day unless you were into the tire chaining and had half a load of sand on the back. I had remembers a S10 winter time story the other day but have since forgotten what it was. I ran a D50 2wd for years as well as my current Dakota but both were loaded fairly heavy with tools, jacks, chains, sheet of plywood on the floor, and I was a pro at putting on tire chains but still sat at the bottom of the road home by the dinner with all the rest of the rear drivers waiting for the plow to sand our way home, you never see anyone down there anymore, it used to be an event - waiting for the sander. I have never put tire chains on a FWD car. And I have never waited for the sander. But far more importantly my wife and everyone elses wife can now drive in confidence on wintery roads, which they do. BTW Thats without snow tires. We have put snows on a few of our FWD's and then you pretty much have a tank, but what would I know about snow and mountains and winter and the hard life. This is a more radical area than most but there are many like this in the hilly areas of the NE. Ya'll can keep trying to convince - - - - yourself - - - or me I mean LOL

well, whether its your sister or not, its all too easy to see on a wintery day around here, someone in their RWD only truck or Camaro or Mustang or beater caprice, struggling like HELL to get a start off a 2% incline at a stoplight and 10-20 mad as hell drivers behind them saying 'get a front wheel drive car you ****!!!' because they can't get through the stoplight before it turns red due to that person in the truck not getting further than about 40 feet before the damn thing turns red.

*shrugs*

Then I'd venture to guess that those people that are tickin' other drivers off do not really know how to handle the RWD vehicles. I get along just fine with my RWD Monte Carlo and my sister does just fine with her RWD S-10. Period. NO snow tires, NO chains.

*shakes head*

Illonois is somewhat different environment than where I live. Theres no getting around in RWD with "all seasons" around here. 40 miles away in the flat land they can probably "get by" but not in theses parts. But we get around great with our FWD cars - not, get by fine. Maybe all that shruggin helps keep the momentum going ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah... in like 15 out of 60 or so vehicles... :rolleyes: Cadillac: STS, DTS, CTS, XLR, SRX (Escalade?) Buick: Lucerne, Rainier Chevy: Corvette, Trailblazer (more?) GMC: Envoy(?, more?) Pontiac: Grand Prix, Vibe Saturn: Relay, Aura(?) Saab: 9-3, 9-5, 9-7x Wow... that's alot. And most are not cheap being more than $25k.

I was a big GM fan, but now that I have seen the new interiors of the Cobalt, Impala, G6, Lacrosse, HHR... It's really disappointing. It looks so cheap. Now go sit in a Honda, Toyota or Mazda to see what an interior should be. What are you doing? you are cutting cost where you should not. You are supposed to improve the quality of the materials. I thought you had understand. GM's house is full of bean counters. Fire them all and bring some passionate people in. Value pricing is just sh"" to me. I want to pay more and have quality. You will lose more market share again with your bad decisions. For my next car, GM will at the bottom of my list, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...