Chevrolet Equinox SS

GM has some spare 3.9s laying around I assume.

Nope, it's getting the 3.6 and I'm guessing a 6-speed auto. Originally it was supposed to get the 3.9 and production was to start in March '06, but they decided to give it the 3.6 and production is now starting July '07.

I don't know why it would take them that much longer, but I guessing they were probably going to go with the 3.9 but Lutz or someone wanted the 3.6 after they had already been testing the 3.9. As a result, the 3.6 testing would have to be done and was behind the testing for the 3.9.

That's just a guess, I don't know for sure why it's so far behind.

Nope, it's getting the 3.6 and I'm guessing a 6-speed auto. Originally it was supposed to get the 3.9 and production was to start in March '06, but they decided to give it the 3.6 and production is now starting July '07.

So they'll also be getting the 3.6HFV6 DualMode Hybrid?

When does the Aveo SS come out? <_<

Not every freekin Chevrolet model should be offered in SS trim.

I still don't know why the 3.5 isn't offered in the Theta's. The CSVs are getting rid of them for next year, so capacity should be up. Why can't they be in there for next year?

As far as out performing the Vue, I don't know. The Vue is smaller in height and length, weighs less. The SS might beat it in a straight line with more power, but I don't know. I would like to see the comparison between them to know for sure.

Good move GM but call it LTZ!! Leave SS for RWD V-8 cars! Good to see the correct powertrain is being offered here-now about G6 and other non-Aura Epsilons....

SS doesn't mean Sport Sedan, it means Something Sporty :) I don't mind putting an SS badge on any car that could do 0-60 in less than 6 or 7 seconds..

I still don't know why the 3.5 isn't offered in the Theta's. The CSVs are getting rid of them for next year, so capacity should be up. Why can't they be in there for next year?

As far as out performing the Vue, I don't know. The Vue is smaller in height and length, weighs less. The SS might beat it in a straight line with more power, but I don't know. I would like to see the comparison between them to know for sure.

The 3.5 in the CSVs is going out of production and with the new 3.5 LZ4/LZE now expanded to the G6, Aura and Malibu, there may not be enough to go around.

Posted Image

I like the wheels

As for the engine.. 3.6 sounds good.. but an AWD 350hp 5.3L V8 would be better I think :yes:

EDIT: just looked at the front shot, is that the fog lights right under the headlights? If so -> :blink:

Edited by Decka

SS doesn't mean Sport Sedan, it means Something Sporty  :)  I don't mind putting an SS badge on any car that could do 0-60 in less than 6 or 7 seconds..

Yeah.... SS stands fopr SUPER Sport...

not "Kind of sporty if you squint real hard and it comes with some slick rims"

THESE cars are true Super Sports:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LTZ I think sounds better than SS. I'm not against giving FWD cars the SS treatment (I love the Cobalt SS), but I agree with Sixty8-not every Chevy needs an SS variant.

I'm guessing that it will be AWD, too?

LTZ I think sounds better than SS. I'm not against giving FWD cars the SS treatment (I love the Cobalt SS), but I agree with Sixty8-not every Chevy needs an SS variant.

I'm guessing that it will be AWD, too?

I agree. Many SS cars (Malibu, for instance) are no more powerful than their mainstream rivals.

This Equinox "SS" should be just an Equinox "V6" or "3.6", and I wonder if it'll be any more powerful or better handling than a base 269-hp RAV4 V6.

I like the wheels

As for the engine.. 3.6 sounds good.. but an AWD 350hp 5.3L V8 would be better I think :yes:

EDIT: just looked at the front shot, is that the fog lights right under the headlights? If so ->  :blink:

Look at the TB SS and you will see what they are, brake cooling ducts.

The Aveo SS will feature the 2.0L Ecotec with direct injection and a 5-speed manual or available Aisin auto with tapshift.

It'll also feature leather interior with suede inserts and 17" alloy wheels.

God, that almost sounds believable. :rolleyes:

that chinese built 3.4 l was the biggest detriment to this suv. if i was in the market for one id certainly wait around or look elsewhere. this however might shape up to be one nice little trucklet. with some honest power to it to boot. why not shove the v8 though? at least as an option. dont they realize most people dont care and there is no reason not to?

Look at the TB SS and you will see what they are, brake cooling ducts.

I was refering to the holes between the brake cooling ducts and headlights. IMO, they should have relocated the fogs similar to where the TB SS has them, as projectors in the lower grill.

BTW: Black headlights housings I think would be sweet too.

yes.. yes yes. we all hear the stories of 1961 Chevy wagons

with stovebolt sixes and powerglides leaving the factory with

SS trim & emblems, but that was pretty rare & quickly

corrected as the mid sixties came into being. :)

i doubt this is an ss at all because they are supose to be getting a new front and rear design for 2007 anyways along with some other improvements but very unlikely that it is and ss

It doesn't have the roof rack either, which is a standard feature on base models.

yes.. yes yes. we all hear the stories of 1961 Chevy wagons

with stovebolt sixes and powerglides leaving the factory with

SS trim & emblems, but that was pretty rare & quickly

corrected as the mid sixties came into being. :)

Don't forget the SS's of the 80s and 90s either, or the SS's after the 73 MY. You can't just look at a certain part of history and forget the rest.

Uhh Base is LS which comes with a roof rack...

The vehicle in the picture doesn't have a roof rack which is standard equipment on the Equinox. The Redline Vue doesn't come with a roof rack either, which is standard equipment on the base model. So, from looking at the picture, dual exhaust, brake ducts, larger wheels, no roof rack, it's an SS.

I don't know why it would take them that much longer, but I guessing they were probably going to go with the 3.9 but Lutz or someone wanted the 3.6 after they had already been testing the 3.9. As a result, the 3.6 testing would have to be done and was behind the testing for the 3.9.

That's just a guess, I don't know for sure why it's so far behind.

Although Suzuki's bulding it with license from GM, the new XL7 (based upon a lengthened Equinox architecture) is engineered for the 3.6L V6.....

I'm putting my money on the 3.6L.

I agree. Many SS cars (Malibu, for instance) are no more powerful than their mainstream rivals.

This Equinox "SS" should be just an Equinox "V6" or "3.6", and I wonder if it'll be any more powerful or better handling than a base 269-hp RAV4 V6.

that's called stupid marketing. your sport model cannot outperform the competition's base model.

EDIT: the result is stupid marketing. the cause are stupid committee based decisions that give the Eck unrefined/underpowered engines and poor handling in the first place.

Edited by turbo200

Until the Equinox gets a truly competitive engine as standard (3.9 w/AFM or even the 3.5), an SS model should be off limits.

The 3.4 isn't bad-My mom's Venture has one. It's a good engine, but when loaded down, you can tell it's working hard to keep up to speed. It also doesn't look as good on paper as say the RAV4 V6 or even the Escape V6.

SS should be reserved for true high performance vehicles, not decent performance. This eats away at my respect for GM since they are willing to slap those badges on everything from the Silverado to the Malibu. SS should be like SRT...most powerful, fastest, and sportiest in their respective classes. Not "So So it doesn't suck anymore but that guy's Rav4 has as much/more power"