Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevrolet Equinox SS

To be fair, the Rav4 puts out 269hp and the new tacoma "X-runner" only puts out like 235. Grocery getter kills the speed truck on paper, how weak. Yea SS used to mean something, now it's just a package kiddies want to get the badge and bland 5 star wheels.

To be fair, the Rav4 puts out 269hp and the new tacoma "X-runner" only puts out like 235. Grocery getter kills the speed truck on paper, how weak. Yea SS used to mean something, now it's just a package kiddies want to get the badge and bland 5 star wheels.

The 3.5L in the RAV4 is engineered for car applications.

The 4.0L in the Tacoma is engineered for truck applications.

You can rest assured if Toyota could have, they would have put the more powerful V6 in the Tacoma/X-Runner. But since they are using the 4.0L in trucks, they will most likely continue to massage that motor for such applications.

It's not like a V6 Tacoma is a dog, either....running 0-60s in the mid-7's...and I think there was someone (MT? C&D?) that got a 6-speed manual, 2WD Tacoma X-runner in the high 6's on a 0-60 run.....

Good move GM but call it LTZ!! Leave SS for RWD V-8 cars! Good to see the correct powertrain is being offered here-now about G6 and other non-Aura Epsilons....

The G6 is getting the 3.6L and six-speed this fall. The Aura got all the publicity because it is all new.

Sounds good if it has the 3.6 but there better be another engine to replace the 3.4 in the regular models. No use having an SS model that will only represent 5% of sales with the excellent engine and your bread a butter versions having the Wal Mart engine.

Exactly. What Toyota does is put the "3.6" into all their cars, even the bread and butter Wal Mart versions. By '08, all Toyota V-6 passenger cars will be getting the new, 268-272 hp 3.5.

finally, a DECENT engine.

it should out-perform the VUE, then in a few years, the new one will kick it around!

I agree with the earlier post stating it's not sure about it outperforming the Vue. Horspower will be close, with the Equinox having the Vue by about 10hp, give or take a couple.

However, remember the Vue less less than the Equinox partly due to the longer wheelbase of the Equinox, comparably equiped. Not a whole lot less, but enough to offset the difference of 10 horsepower.

Plus the disturbing thing about it...if this is indeed an SS mode with the 250-260hp 3.6.....it will at best match the Vue in performance (and it looks like still trail it in gas mileage).....and it will do it as a 2007 or 2008 model. The Vue has had that performance since 2003 (2004 model year) in standard or redline trim.

Edited by mjd1001

Exactly. What Toyota does is put the "3.6" into all their cars, even the bread and butter Wal Mart versions. By '08, all Toyota V-6 passenger cars will be getting the new, 268-272 hp 3.5.

even the piece of crap RAV4 gets the prime motor. that's why toyota is ahead of the game.....i bet you drive the RAV4 and Equinox BTB and one must say.....'boy that Chinese pushrod motor in the Equinox sucks'

even the piece of crap RAV4 gets the prime motor.  that's why toyota is ahead of the game.....i bet you drive the RAV4 and Equinox BTB and one must say.....'boy that Chinese pushrod motor in the Equinox sucks'

They should offer the 211hp 3.5 and 270hp 3.9 as base engines and pump the 3.6 to 305hp to overkill the RAV4 8)

even the piece of crap RAV4 gets the prime motor.  that's why toyota is ahead of the game.....i bet you drive the RAV4 and Equinox BTB and one must say.....'boy that Chinese pushrod motor in the Equinox sucks'

Naaa, just that stupid spare tire on the azz of the Rav4 makes the whole thing a POS.

An Equinox SS?

Could be an interesting proposition: Another performance SUV below the megabuck level of the Cayenne, X5, or GC SRT-8 in addition to the VUE Redline.

If the G6 is getting the 3.6 and 6-speed automatic, let's hope that GM finds it in its bumbling, fumbling corporate heart to offer this engine with a stick.

And, the 3.5 OHV has no place at all in the Aura if Saturn is to be positioned as Opel's twin and a genuine Euro competitor. Sometimes it really does amaze me that GM wonders what it's doing wrong.

The Equinox SS is a really good idea. I see nothing wrong with how GM is using the SS nameplate on their vehicles. They're all worth of the moniker. Oh, and those late 60's muscle cars may have had their 454's but they weren't that fast or good at handling. I would say that most or all of the current SS vehicles can outperform most or all of the "of olde" SS vehicles.

The Equinox SS is a really good idea.  I see nothing wrong with how GM is using the SS nameplate on their vehicles.  They're all worth of the moniker.  Oh, and those late 60's muscle cars may have had their 454's but they weren't that fast or good at handling.  I would say that most or all of the current SS vehicles can outperform most or all of the "of olde" SS vehicles.

Especially the Cobalt SS :thumbsup:

I don't think this is that bad of an idea. I'm actually surprised I didn't see it coming sooner though, given the fact of the Vue Redline model.

It looks lower in ride height to me, and I'm happy to finally see rear disc brakes on this thing. Overall though it doesn't appear to be aggressive enough to be considered an SS. Aside from the wheels and ride height, it could easily pass as just a refresh for the current model and not an upgraded 'SS' model.

I'd be very curious as to the interior and if that got any more refinement and better quality materials to go along with the rest of the SS package. It will also be interesting to see how much of a premium one will need to shell out over and above today's top of the line model. In the end its still going to be a question of justifying the additional cost versus what you get for the money...

Edited by CreativeVision

Why does every Chevy need to have a SS version? I know that the SS badge started as basically a trim level, but that's not what it's remembered for... So why essentially make it a trim level all over again?

Nope, it's getting the 3.6 and I'm guessing a 6-speed auto. Originally it was supposed to get the 3.9 and production was to start in March '06, but they decided to give it the 3.6 and production is now starting July '07.

All this talk about the Equinox not deserving the SS badging. I couldn't care less whether they call it an SS or LTZ. All I know is that I want a sportier version Nox with a more powerful engine. I refuse to buy the Chinese 3.4 and am holding out for the 3.6.

Call it what you will.....it matters not.

Surely, that more powerful engine will bring it some updated suspension tuning, those 18" wheels, maybe a plusher interior and other cosmetic upgrades. Come July 07, I am ordering the "sportier" Equinox. :thumbsup:

All this talk about the Equinox not deserving the SS badging. I couldn't care less whether  they call  it an SS or LTZ.    All I know  is that I want a sportier version Nox with a more powerful engine. I refuse  to buy the Chinese 3.4 and  am  holding out for the 3.6.

Call it what you will.....it matters not.

Surely, that more powerful engine will bring it some updated suspension  tuning, those 18" wheels, maybe a plusher interior and other cosmetic upgrades. Come  July 07, I am ordering the "sportier" Equinox. :thumbsup:

Right on!! :thumbsup: