Cadillac News: Spying: 2020 Cadillac XT6 Makes Its Spy Photo Debut

There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.

Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.

Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

View full article

Interesting hood bump on this mule.

image.png

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Gonna be an interesting auto to see what they really put into it. Hopefully a first rate interior with the Family Style. Should do really good as a fit between the XT5 and Escalade.

I do agree with Car & Driver that the TT V6 would and should show up in this XT6 or 7 whatever they call it.

What I do not get is why do the car site both think it will be with an 8sp tranny and not have the 10sp that GM helped create?

Right now, Cadillac should have the top end Tranny and motors in all their auto's. 10 sp everything with Turbo this and that and NA engines as base.

I just want that V Series in the background... 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd assume it will have the same drivetrain as the Traverse/Enclave, 3.6 w/ 9spd auto.   Was that 10spd developed for transverse applications? 

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yup! 

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

The 8spd is probably a typo...wouldn't make sense to have a 9spd in the Traverse and Enclave but not the Cadillac variation.  

47 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

Yet MB does this with cheap plastic ass versions of their own cars.

What is wrong with a company using a standard platform to build unique auto's for their product lines? Luxury, Mid and Entry level products. This is SMART Management.

7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Stuff like this is a gap filler... sounds like the Lincoln Aviator will have a superior platform, though.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

Turbo 4s are fine for rental cars, wouldn't want to own one.  I like NA V6s, quite pleased with the Pentastar V6 in my Jeep..

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet? 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet? 

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

I can see having distinct engines on their good stuff like the CT6 or Escalade, but it doesn't really matter on a generic lease appliance like this, IMO...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

Considering this was out if memory serves me right before the Turbo V6 was available, I would not be surprised to see a turbo show up in the XT5 for the new model year.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I couldn't agree more. They want to be the best but then throw in the same driveline as a Chevy? 

Also, FWIW, Mercedes base engine in the GLE is a n/a v6 as well.. I can't see that staying around much longer. And, Audi and Volvo are the only large luxury CUVs that start with a turbo 4's. 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

How did they "wear on you" in those instances? 

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

How did they "wear on you" in those instances? 

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car. 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car. 

Nope for local driving she loves the Trailblazer SS and for Road trips, you cannot get more comfortable and quiet than an Escalade.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You sure can get quieter than a ~10 year old Escalade.. a much more modern luxury vehicle even with a turbo 4.  

Auto db.com

auto db.PNG

I will say that right now, the comfort in the latest Escalade seats does not compare to my 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum. Thin seats are questionable for comfort. Road noise, tires play a big part and I understand the chart you posted for Sound DB, but having new Escalades to drive when I get service, it is really hard to justify spending another 100K on an SUV where the seats are not that comfy and noise level is not really any different.

Noise levels are significantly quieter at every moment in the newer Escalade. 100k quieter? Doubtful, but those numbers are definitely noticeable. And that's what you pay for with a real luxury vehicle, the details. 

I don't know if you noticed but the ATS is quieter than the older Escalade as well. Yes, the turbo 4 version. 

As speed rises the turbo 4 car is quieter than the n/a 3.6 as well. 

Just say'n. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Noise levels are significantly quieter at every moment in the newer Escalade. 100k quieter? Doubtful, but those numbers are definitely noticeable. And that's what you pay for with a real luxury vehicle, the details. 

I don't know if you noticed but the ATS is quieter than the older Escalade as well. Yes, the turbo 4 version. 

As speed rises the turbo 4 car is quieter than the n/a 3.6 as well. 

Just say'n. 

I respect what you are saying, I have to go based on my own experience of driving these auto's and so far my personal experience is what it is.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Biased is what it is. You don't want to like something so you're making up a reason to not like it. 

Just say you don't like it instead of making things up that are factually provably wrong.  

:roflmao: You just wish, as a person that can buy anything I want, I spend far more time in auto's than most and my review and feeling on turbo 4's as well as other newer auto's is what it is. 

If I hate something, I will say it, BIASED is saying you know how another is thinking and should feel about newer auto's. Your not me and my impression of driving and using new auto's is my impression compared to the various other auto's I own.

Enjoy your Turbo 4's. I will wait for superior EV auto's than spend my coin on another ICE auto that really does not have enough quality gains to justify it's price.

9 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Nothing has been announced yet.  Just because this particular tester might have a V6 doesn't mean other options won't be available.

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

You're saying they're louder engines, they're quieter than what you currently drive. 

I don't think you'll ever own an EV because you'll keep saying the wife doesn't like something about it. 

I think he is confusing loudness with harshness.  GM (and others) cheats on some of their Turbo-4s in Buick and Cadillac by putting active noise cancellation in.  My Encore has it and is very quiet, though the engine isn't as smooth as I'd want it to be. I drove a Trax which doesn't have Active Noise Cancellation and the racket was horrible.  I have weird hearing though, it is difficult for me to hear at some frequencies and I have higher sensitivity to higher frequency harsh sounds.   Most turbo-4s in cars without active noise cancellation aren't very pleasant for me. It's not the volume though, it's what the sound "sounds" like. With ACN, the engineers can change the interior sound quite a bit, so while a turbo-4 might be at a lower dB than a V6, the sound might be irritating (I'm not saying that is the case in the ATS T4 v. ATS V6, I'm just using it as an example).    I think that is what @dfelt is trying to say.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

How does ANC work, physically/hardware wise?

Microphones placed throughout the cabin. When it picks up a sound the engineers have deemed undesirable, the audio system puts out an equal but opposite sounds wave to cancel it out.  I believe they also use active engine mounts in a similar way in some models. In the Mustang and some Benzes they go a step further and enhance the good engine sounds, using the same tech.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Encore have this system, DD?

It was the first Buick to get it. GMC has been using it on the 6.2 powered trucks as apparently they are unpleasant in 4 cylinder mode and some of the Denali line. Most, if not all, of the Cadillacs have it.

• 8 months later...