GM brings Cadillac back into the fold

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Interesting read, they have wrong the credit they give JDN for moving Cadillac to NY. I do agree that whatever plans JDN had for product and Cadillac if it is not gutted and killed off will go to another leader potentially his replacement. I also HOPE that they DO NOT kill pinnacle, the plan for the dealerships. Far too long letting old outdated old way of thinking dealerships live in the past. Time to force everyone into the 21st century and give a world class experience.

I really hope that the new product roll out every 6 months over the next 3 years is a hit. RIght now I am very mixed on the XT4 the more I look at it.

See the source image

This has some very nice style but also has some huge detractors such as the large black plastic bottom. I just do not get why this was done this way. It should be all color matched to the auto with just a 3 inch strip of black at the bottom.

34 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This has some very nice style but also has some huge detractors such as the large black plastic bottom. I just do not get why this was done this way. It should be all color matched to the auto with just a 3 inch strip of black at the bottom.

100% agree. 

Their supposed competition doesn't use black plastic like that.. 

GLA250.jpg

MKC.jpg

Q3.jpg

RDX.jpg

X1.jpg

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Interesting read, they have wrong the credit they give JDN for moving Cadillac to NY. I do agree that whatever plans JDN had for product and Cadillac if it is not gutted and killed off will go to another leader potentially his replacement. I also HOPE that they DO NOT kill pinnacle, the plan for the dealerships. Far too long letting old outdated old way of thinking dealerships live in the past. Time to force everyone into the 21st century and give a world class experience.

I really hope that the new product roll out every 6 months over the next 3 years is a hit. RIght now I am very mixed on the XT4 the more I look at it.

See the source image

I think some of the rationale with the black lower trim is to try and lighten the thickness of the front fascia visually...if it were body color, esp. in a light color, it just looks like a very (vertically) thick chunk of plastic.   I've read this in design critiques of other models before, incl. using black on lower parts of rear fascias. 

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@ccap41 Using the Paint 3D in Windows 10, it is easier to select the right sections, but still hard for me as a non art person to change, but this does look way better.

2019-XT4.jpg

The idea is great but the execution isn't perfect, lol.  They could definitely do something better down there. I mean everybody else(including their own other vehicles) has figured it out. 

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I think some of the rationale with the black lower trim is to try and lighten the thickness of the front fascia visually...if it were body color, esp. in a light color, it just looks like a very (vertically) thick chunk of plastic.   I've read this in design critiques of other models before, incl. using black on lower parts of rear fascias. 

I agree with you but if this is the solution then I think it was a poor design to begin with. Even LINCOLN figured it out. 🤔

I think the front would look better if the lower fascia were body color with a chrome ringed lower grille with a mesh texture that mirrors the upper grille...maybe limit the black to a small strip along the bottom.   It's like the lower grille opening is from a different vehicle, as it is now it has no relationship to the upper/main grille. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

Much better. Plus, they could notch up into that some because it does look like there is air intake in that black area(original pic) to break it up some. 

What they chose just looks lazy to me. 

Would totally agree, I have yet to figure out how to keep the grill in and just change color which as you said does break up the front end.

On another note, this is what a potential EV would look like since you do not need the air flow.

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I think the front would look better if the lower fascia were body color with a chrome ringed lower grille with a mesh texture that mirrors the upper grille...maybe limit the black to a small strip along the bottom.   It's like the lower grille opening is from a different vehicle, as it is now it has no relationship to the upper/main grille. 

I get what you are saying, looking at the pictures CCAP41 posted, the other auto companies have also not bothered to blend the lower grill opening with their upper grill. It just does not stand out as bad as it is much smaller. If they used an identical grill with some of it colored to blend in with the front and the smaller black area like #2, I think it would look much better.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would totally agree, I have yet to figure out how to keep the grill in and just change color which as you said does break up the front end.

On another note, this is what a potential EV would look like since you do not need the air flow.

Looking at the pictures of the other small suvs, it looks like they just needed to make some alternative location for the fog lights. All of the others have some place down and to the outside that breaks up the large plastic look @Cubical-aka-Moltar mentioned. Then they could have brought color all the way down there and still had some black plastic in the bottom middle like the others have.

Some how they needed to get body color all the way to the bottom of the bumper(not the air dam). 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

85% of the mercedes (above pic) is also black plastic, they merely have 4 colored plastic downlegs.

They seem to make a huge difference though in breaking up the body color and not leaving the bottom looking like they stopped working at noon on a Tuesday. 

• Like 1

The XT4 won't be Cadillac's savior.  I think there are a lot of better crossovers out there already in that segment, it will easily get lost in the shuffle.  Probably all it will do is steal sales off the XT5 which looks similar and probably will have somewhat similar performance.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Interesting claim. What Cadillac do you think the XT5 "stole" sales from?

Sedans.  20 years ago the Lesabre and DeVille each sold over 100,000 units in the USA, now neither car is even here.   In 2006 they sold over 60,000 CTS's last year it was under 15,000.   There is 45,000 sales that went somewhere and the XT5 is the vehicle closest in size to the gen 1 or gen 2 CTS.

Cadillac market share is lower now than it was 5-10 years ago, there were over 17 million cars sold in the US last year, vs about 10 million in 2010 and Cadillac's volume hasn't gone up.

In December 2010 Cadillac sold 16k cars, they sold 15k in December 2017.  Mercedes went from 21k in December 2010 to 35k in December 2017.   BMW went from 23k to 34k and Audi went from 10k to 27k over the same period. 

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

blah blah blah- answer the question: which Cadillac did the XT5 "steal" sales from?
Your theory is the XT4 will steal sales from the XT5- show your work.

I said already, the CTS, it lost 45,000 sales per year.  Gen 2 SRX sales rose as the market overall rose (the SAAR nearly doubled from 2009 to 2017), added with decline of CTS sales, and XT5 has maintained that.  CTS down, overall market up.   

10 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd assume the XT4 would grow sales as it's a new entry for Cadillac in one of the hottest growth segments of the luxury market.

It will grow sales over all, I think XT5 will drop some, ATS will drop some, maybe 5-10% each as XT4 gains some.  I think it will pull away would be Envision, Terrain or even high trim Equinox buyers, because for similar or a little more money they can get a Cadillac vs one of those three.

The real test is if the XT4 outsells the Envision, at equal cost and equal size in the same segment, any Cadillac should outsell a Buick with ease.  

45k sales lost from 10 years ago.  Cadillac sedans dropped, those people now buy SUVs.  That is where XT5 sales come from, it is a 10 year trend in the market.  XT4 will steal some ATS and XT5 sales I said, and trade ups from Equinox and Terrain, and other small SUVs.