Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Bought a new minivan

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I bought a couple Wal-Mart EverStart batteries for about $85 each for the old cars..seem to function fine.

I recently discovered my Jeep still has the OEM circa 2014 battery...had it checked at the dealer last month when I went in for an oil change, it doesn't need replaced yet...can't believe a battery would last that long (it only spent about 4 months in AZ in 2017).   Still starts every time..

They're not bad batteries, especially if you're just looking to get the vehicle running to sell, like in your situation. If it were my personally vehicle, I'd just step up to one of the 2-4 year warranty ones. those also have more cold cranking amps, would would benefit me in the winter when its zero degrees F.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I have never had electrical things not respond because I don't have a $1000 battery. 

Where does one even recycle a lithium-ion car battery? If it finally goes bad, do I have to mail it to where I bought it and wait for a return? Seems more inconvenient than it's worth. 

These batteries can be recycled at any recycle place just like traditional Lead Acid batteries. 

In regard to response of electronics, if you want to test your current battery, just go out, turn on the key, DO NOT start the motor, play the radio and other electronics in your auto. See how long the battery lasts. In much older tech autos, you could just sit in the auto, play the radio for a very long time. Today's autos actually can drain the battery in as little as 10 minutes. Escalade and Navigator both do not recommend playing the in-auto stereo system longer than 10 minutes without the engine running. Due to the ongoing use of battery electricity, there are things always sucking down power and this is where you can see a quality deep cycle Lead acid battery over a traditional one from the OEM or Walmart makes a big difference.

From what I could find online, it seems the average in today's tech autos is 30 to 45 minutes of battery before dying and to prevent this, many autos will no longer let the radio even in accessory mode play longer than 10 to 15 minutes.

Not sure what year MKC you have Lincoln Vehicle Owner Manuals Sitemap But it seems that depending on the stereo system and if you have optional subwoofer or any other electronics, they recommend either running the auto engine or using an individual device to listen to music if you are not going to run the auto. 

This would tell me that the electronics can put a drain on the system that would limit the ability for the auto to start, no difference than cadillac or any other luxury auto line. If you have Push Button start, then you have no accessory mode.

• Educational 1

14 hours ago, David said:

Not sure what year MKC you have Lincoln Vehicle Owner Manuals Sitemap But it seems that depending on the stereo system and if you have optional subwoofer or any other electronics, they recommend either running the auto engine or using an individual device to listen to music if you are not going to run the auto. 

This would tell me that the electronics can put a drain on the system that would limit the ability for the auto to start, no difference than cadillac or any other luxury auto line. If you have Push Button start, then you have no accessory mode.

I do have push button start and there most certainly is an accessory mode. Just hit the start button without pressing on the brake pedal. 

I have my own additional subwoofer installed as OEM ones are weeeeak (10" JL Audio W6v3). 

My wife and I have absolutely waited in my car with just accessories on for longer than 10 minutes without the battery dying. It will auto shut off at 10 minutes but I just hit the start button again w/o pressing the brake pedal to turn accessories back on. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, David said:

If you have Push Button start, then you have no accessory mode.

My Flex has an accessory mode and is push button start. All push button models cars I have driven over the years have the same feature. Just a push without applying the brake. Having set that, mine does shut off after ten minutes use to preserve the battery. I can turn it right back on but there is a timer to it that can be adjusted on most newer Ford models, mine included.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, David said:

If you have Push Button start, then you have no accessory mode.

My Jeep has push button start and an accessory mode.  I occasionally use accessory so my phone w/ charge, but usually if I'm parked for a while and in it (esp. this time of year) I leave the engine running so the A/C runs..

17 hours ago, ccap41 said:

They're not bad batteries, especially if you're just looking to get the vehicle running to sell, like in your situation. If it were my personally vehicle, I'd just step up to one of the 2-4 year warranty ones. those also have more cold cranking amps, would would benefit me in the winter when its zero degrees F.

Yeah, I was using them w/ my brother's vehicles, and then put them in my '69 and '87 Mustangs so they can be started and moved around at their current storage.  Once they are restored/ready to register, I'll get better batteries.    The shop I'm working with put new batteries of some sort in my brother's cars and motorcycles before the auction (except for the paperweights).

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys @ccap41 @surreal1272 @Robert Hall For the MKC, I could not find anything on the online manual for accessory mode, that is good to know that there is one and you can run it more than the 10 min time out.

Escalade on the OEM battery would die if you were in accessory more for more than 10 min till I went to the Lithium deep cycle battery that allows it to run long in accessory and all the electronics work much better. My SS also works much better with the Lithium Deep cycle battery.

Like I said, I know there is a wide range of battery types and prices. I found before going to the long life Lithium batteries, that the Optima batteries were way better than the OEM batteries and I had in the past gotten 5 to 6 years out of one of those batteries, but here at O'Rielly's auto part store the Optima Yellow are a $300 battery. I do like the 12yr Lithium Battery I have now. Will be the last one till I replace them with EVs.

I think if you are buying an auto you will hold onto for more than 5 to 10 years, why not get a great battery that can last that long and not have to spend money every 3 to 5 years.