2QuickZ's

Bought a new minivan

Love the S package.  Nice one there!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You know what, these drive so nice.... and they finally made a mini-van that actually looks good. This is really the best crossover alternative out there that can still do all the hauling a crossover can do and more.  I know @ocnblu would make fun of me for it, but I'd get the plug-in version... if only because it adds a bunch more scoot to the pentastar. 

Me Too, I would if I could up Vote this +1000! :metal: 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sorry..

Um....... Why?

19 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You know what, these drive so nice.... and they finally made a mini-van that actually looks good. This is really the best crossover alternative out there that can still do all the hauling a crossover can do and more.  I know @ocnblu would make fun of me for it, but I'd get the plug-in version... if only because it adds a bunch more scoot to the pentastar. 

It's funny you say that about the hybrid.  My wife is the primary driver of this and she only has a 5 mile commute to work.  We STRONGLY considered the hybrid.  There are no deals to be had, though.  Yes, the $7500 back from the government but dealers are giving hardly any extra markdown and there are no rebates.  The lease deals are horrible.  We were originally going to wait until fall to see if they would blow out the MY18 hybrids that they didn't try too hard to sell/lease during the model year but got a good enough deal on this gas powered one to pull the trigger now.

One thing they need to fix if they want to sell/lease the hybrid to your average Joe, the dealerships need to keep one charged up for test drives.  We didn't try too many dealerships but none of the ones we did try kept one charged.  It would be nice to know how they drive on pure electricity if that is how you are going to be driving it 95% of the time.

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sorry..

No need to be sorry!  These things are awesome.  You are the one missing out. 😀

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, 2QuickZ's said:

They really are, assuming that is. I've been in modern Odysseys and Siennas and they're incredibly nice with boat loads of room. When I worked in a shop we actually had a tougher time lifting modern vans than anything else just because they're so damn wide now.  

Is it sad that I would drive it with all the seats folded into the floor and use it as a really fancy cargo hauler?

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Is it sad that I would drive it with all the seats folded into the floor and use it as a really fancy cargo hauler?

Not at all.  They are basically an enclosed pickup truck but without the towing capacity.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

and much better ride

And a much lower lift over into the cargo area.  

Why I have an affinity for the Promaster City and Transit Connect. 

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2018 at 4:43 PM, 2QuickZ's said:

It's funny you say that about the hybrid.  My wife is the primary driver of this and she only has a 5 mile commute to work.  We STRONGLY considered the hybrid.  There are no deals to be had, though.  Yes, the $7500 back from the government but dealers are giving hardly any extra markdown and there are no rebates.  The lease deals are horrible.  We were originally going to wait until fall to see if they would blow out the MY18 hybrids that they didn't try too hard to sell/lease during the model year but got a good enough deal on this gas powered one to pull the trigger now.

One thing they need to fix if they want to sell/lease the hybrid to your average Joe, the dealerships need to keep one charged up for test drives.  We didn't try too many dealerships but none of the ones we did try kept one charged.  It would be nice to know how they drive on pure electricity if that is how you are going to be driving it 95% of the time.

Give Sergio 2-3 years to sort out the hybrid powertrain glitches and maybe then they will offer lease deals on them.

LOVE YOUR S PACKAGE BY THE WAY!

I am going to get my six month review of our Pacifica up soon.  I am even wondering if we shouldn't get a second Pacfica, and I would get an S package too.  I think they should offer S package with cloth.  They should do a special console with the S  package too.

Now if they would just turbo that pentastar too!

Edited by regfootball

On 6/8/2018 at 7:45 PM, regfootball said:

Give Sergio 2-3 years to sort out the hybrid powertrain glitches and maybe then they will offer lease deals on them.

LOVE YOUR S PACKAGE BY THE WAY!

I am going to get my six month review of our Pacifica up soon.  I am even wondering if we shouldn't get a second Pacfica, and I would get an S package too.  I think they should offer S package with cloth.  They should do a special console with the S  package too.

Now if they would just turbo that pentastar too!

The T&C was purchased for me to drive because the wife refused to drive a minivan.  We only had that for a week or so before she took it over and it became hers.  She sadly is still stuck on the minivan stigma so she seriously considered an SUV instead this time around.  We were looking at GMC Acadias and Chevy Traverses but at the end of the day, we just got way more for our money with the Pacifica.  And she does love the convenience of the minivan.  All that being said, I would say there is a 99% chance that when we replace it in a few years the kids will be old enough she will switch to an SUV. :(  Our shot at the hybrid has come and gone.

The S package is nice!  It looks pretty good on all colors I have seen with it too.  I saw a dark blue S-package yesterday and it probably looked better than our red one.  I also saw an orange S-package and even that looked good!

I personally think the Pacifica looks great in pretty much any color or trim save for maybe the base no chrome models.  Weirdly enough I am very drawn to that Cordovan brown color.  If we had not found this S-package, that is probably what we would have bought.

Edited by 2QuickZ's
clarified a comment
  • Upvote 1

Hey Reg, I forgot but did you buy or lease your T&C?

The reason I ask is because I was shocked what I was able to get for ours when we sold it.  We had bought our 2013 used off lease and we got a pretty good deal on it but not spectacular.  There were others around in the price range.  After 2.5 years of ownership I was able to sell it for only $3.5k less than what I paid for it!  And at that the guy that bought it was very happy with the price.  Most of the comparable ones in my area were listed for at least $1500 more than I listed mine for and I live in metro Detroit so there is no shortage of them around.

• Upvote 1

We took this on a 2200 mile family vacation road trip in early July.  Here are my comments:

• The seats are supremely comfortable!  Way better than the old T&C and better than my 200S as well.  I have neck and back issues and usually take ibuprofen before hitting the road but it was not necessary in this at all.  No complaints from the kids in the back seats either!
  • Turns out you can play a different movie on each screen off the same USB stick.  The kids were quite pleased with this!
  • The built-in WiFi worked like...... well, WiFi.  As expected I guess you would say.  The downside is that it is a 5G system so it was useless with my kids 2.4G Kindle Fire's :(
  • The factory Nav worked well on the whole but checking it against Google maps there were a couple of instances where Google maps had a more time efficient route
  • I did not try Android Auto on the trip but I did use it last weekend for a 2 hour road trip and it connected easily and worked flawlessly with Google maps navigation
  • I have the gas receipts and did calculate each tank.  Most the time the VIC was optimistic by 1 - 1.5 MPG over actual but I did have one tank that calculated out a little higher than VIC predicted.  I did not calculate overall trip MPG but I would guess it was around 26 MPG including a lot of remote starts (it was smoking hot weather) and a fair amount of in town driving at each stop including in the mountains in Tennessee
  • Rain-X is awesome!  We hit rainstorms in the Kentucky and Tennessee that had people pulling over with their flashers on and we never even had to turn the wipers on!  I'm a long time but occasional Rain-X user and what I applied came out of a 10-15 year old bottle and still worked flawlessly.

Overall I rate this van very, very highly.  If it doesn't have any reliability issues, it's going to be an awesome vehicle!

• Upvote 3

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, 2QuickZ's said:

The reason I ask is because I was shocked what I was able to get for ours when we sold it.  We had bought our 2013 used off lease and we got a pretty good deal on it but not spectacular.  There were others around in the price range.  After 2.5 years of ownership I was able to sell it for only $3.5k less than what I paid for it!  And at that the guy that bought it was very happy with the price.  Most of the comparable ones in my area were listed for at least $1500 more than I listed mine for and I live in metro Detroit so there is no shortage of them around.

@regfootball

On 6/16/2018 at 7:45 AM, 2QuickZ's said:

The town and country was a lease.  My buyout was pretty high but i was surprised to see the market values on the Chrysler vans seemed to be up there.  Not in trade perhaps, but buying used.  Good to see you got to use yours for minimal $$$.

I wasn't gonna buy my three year old.  Payments would have been pretty high and it made sense to just lease again.  If vans and Chryslers held their value more on trade maybe buying would work for me but i don't want to hang onto a minivan for a long time. Like you mentioned, despite the utility and all the good packaging, the next time around we may go back to the SUV.  The value per dollar with the van now is huge.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, 2QuickZ's said:

We took this on a 2200 mile family vacation road trip in early July.  Here are my comments:

• The seats are supremely comfortable!  Way better than the old T&C and better than my 200S as well.  I have neck and back issues and usually take ibuprofen before hitting the road but it was not necessary in this at all.  No complaints from the kids in the back seats either!
  • Turns out you can play a different movie on each screen off the same USB stick.  The kids were quite pleased with this!
  • The built-in WiFi worked like...... well, WiFi.  As expected I guess you would say.  The downside is that it is a 5G system so it was useless with my kids 2.4G Kindle Fire's :(
  • The factory Nav worked well on the whole but checking it against Google maps there were a couple of instances where Google maps had a more time efficient route
  • I did not try Android Auto on the trip but I did use it last weekend for a 2 hour road trip and it connected easily and worked flawlessly with Google maps navigation
  • I have the gas receipts and did calculate each tank.  Most the time the VIC was optimistic by 1 - 1.5 MPG over actual but I did have one tank that calculated out a little higher than VIC predicted.  I did not calculate overall trip MPG but I would guess it was around 26 MPG including a lot of remote starts (it was smoking hot weather) and a fair amount of in town driving at each stop including in the mountains in Tennessee
  • Rain-X is awesome!  We hit rainstorms in the Kentucky and Tennessee that had people pulling over with their flashers on and we never even had to turn the wipers on!  I'm a long time but occasional Rain-X user and what I applied came out of a 10-15 year old bottle and still worked flawlessly.

Overall I rate this van very, very highly.  If it doesn't have any reliability issues, it's going to be an awesome vehicle!

Yes, tremendous trip vehicle.  the front seats are great.  Your mpg is close to what we get. in fact it gets better with age.  LAst trip return leg we got 31+ with four on board.  CRAZY.   BUt i agree the DIC is optimistic by about the same amount you say.

• Thanks 1

I have had a bunch of town and country and also Pacificas as rentals. Absolutely cannot say enough good about either one.

Yes, the mpg is doable.  With it being winter and shitty winter blend gas, we aren't getting that sweet mpg right now, but 23-25 in general driving is easy in good season and the 30 is doable with the right conditions on trips.  I really sort of would love to see a typical non minivan console with floor shifter made available and full armrest.  I know that won't happen but i can dream.  I honestly would consider next PAc we get to just be simple cloth seats, no moonroof, still have power doors etc. but I would probably try the 8 passenger too.  It's just that even though its nimble and car like for a minivan, the size does tend to be a bit much at times.

Its pretty crazy that practicality and user friendliness tends to account for a lot in what we want to drive these days.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook