Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

AAA latest survey find 1 in 5 want an EV now!

AAA latest survey find 1 in 5 want an EV now!

AAA latest survey results of auto's, the type wanted and what people love or hate has really shown big changes. 20% of America or 50 million want an EV auto up from 15% in 2017. AAA survey found the biggest fear on EV auto's was range anxiety and that is dropping month by month as people new to EV technology see how it fits into their everyday life.

While range anxiety is one of the top fears, what has changed is that more people like the reliability of EV or Hybrids over traditional petro powered auto's. On top of this is the reduced maintenance EVs bring, more technology as society embraces it with acceleration, handling and safety technology being mentioned.

Some really good info, check out the story below.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2018/05/1-in-5-us-drivers-want-electric-vehicle/

• Agree 1

What's California's population compared to the rest of the US? 

Sounds about right.. California is 12% of the us population so all we need is probably Oregon and Washington and that'd cover the 20% that want to buy EVs. Okay... That's only about 15.7% of the population still.. 

• Haha 2

I really don't think I have range anxiety... but I have charger location anxiety.  I still think a plug-in hybrid is the way to go, but if it is a two vehicle family, a pure EV as a second car would be fine. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2018 at 6:51 PM, balthazar said:

"1 in 5 want to buy an EV", but only 1 in 85 do currently.

Surveys.

I want to buy one, but they don't make one I both like and can afford and has the amenities I want. I'd buy an EV Lacrosse with a 250 mile range.. 

While not pure EV, both the S90 and CT6 plug ins would be high on my list had I the funds.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

"1 in 5 want to buy an EV", but only 1 in 85 do currently.

Surveys.

True, 1 in 85 but I believe we will see that number reduce fast as automakers release EVs in greater variety that people want to buy. I know if GM would update the dash on the BOLT to be optional two tone or all black or better yet give us the Mocha brown interior, they would sell more.

Options is what people want.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

What's California's population compared to the rest of the US? 

Sounds about right.. California is 12% of the us population so all we need is probably Oregon and Washington and that'd cover the 20% that want to buy EVs. Okay... That's only about 15.7% of the population still.. 

I don't think 100% of West Coast drivers necessarily want an EV, though.   I know if I lived on the West Coast, I'd be driving what I'm driving now.. 

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I really don't think I have range anxiety... but I have charger location anxiety.  I still think a plug-in hybrid is the way to go, but if it is a two vehicle family, a pure EV as a second car would be fine. 

I agree.  I think I will be completely open to have my next daily driver as EV as long as we have one regular family car.  My commute is long, almost 100 miles per day but even todays EVs can cover that easily.  And since I mostly drive highway EV will be better for me than a hybrid.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I am all about "saving" the planet (mining doesn't count if I turn my head) but I MUST HAVE MOCHA INTERIOR TO DO IT. - guess who

If you're talking about me, I just like the cheaper costs to "fuel" and the huge amount of torque from electrics. We're not going to save the planet with EVs while we're still tossing out plastic forks after one use. We're effed regardless.

You know the cars I like, swift, silent, lots of torque. EVs fit that bill at a cheaper cost to operate than a V8.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you're talking about me, I just like the cheaper costs to "fuel" and the huge amount of torque from electrics. We're not going to save the planet with EVs while we're still tossing out plastic forks after one use. We're effed regardless.

You know the cars I like, swift, silent, lots of torque. EVs fit that bill at a cheaper cost to operate than a V8.

I think he meant dfelt

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think he meant dfelt

I thought he meant me, I do like mocha interiors.   My Jeep seat color is called Mocha Frost, IIRC.

19.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Next generation Escape wit supposed plug-in hybrid could be a money spot for me and possibly you if they offer it with AWD. 

12 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I don't think 100% of West Coast drivers necessarily want an EV, though.   I know if I lived on the West Coast, I'd be driving what I'm driving now.. 

Hahaha I know I was just being a big-ole-smartass. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ykX said:

I agree.  I think I will be completely open to have my next daily driver as EV as long as we have one regular family car.  My commute is long, almost 100 miles per day but even todays EVs can cover that easily.  And since I mostly drive highway EV will be better for me than a hybrid.

Only the Bolt and Tesla can cover that easily, if my memory is accurate. They have too large of a difference between possible range and realistic range when using heat/AC in the winter and summer months and interstate driving isn't optimal for them either.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I am all about "saving" the planet (mining doesn't count if I turn my head) but I MUST HAVE MOCHA INTERIOR TO DO IT. - guess who

If ya mean me, please explain the mining comment, are you talking about the battery materials? Think mining them is safer than drilling for oil in the oceans or on land. Then again, I live in a state of renewable green energy, so yes EVs are way cleaner than anything petro, but until I can get my rapid charging and long range battery packs, I am stuck with petro for my road trips.

Like Drew, I want and will get an EV for daily driving once I get a decent luxury version. I and the wife was willing to start with a Bolt, but the interior colors was a deal killer for the wife.

After all Happy Wife, happy life! 27 years of marriage and counting. 

How long you been married? :P

I get the 'charger location anxiety'... there are a number of EV charging stations in NE Ohio, but they are clustered around the cities and suburbs, not much in the less populated areas.  It's going to be a while before charging stations have the ubiquity of gas stations, and the speed of a gas refill. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Only the Bolt and Tesla can cover that easily, if my memory is accurate. They have too large of a difference between possible range and realistic range when using heat/AC in the winter and summer months and interstate driving isn't optimal for them either.

Nissan Leaf has currently 150 miles range.  Focus, eGolf, Kia and Hyundai Ioniq are about 110-125 so yes, that would be cutting it too close.

Personally, I think I will need new daily driver not sooner then 5-6 years from now, so by that time a next generation of EV should be available.

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

Nissan Leaf has currently 150 miles range.  Focus, eGolf, Kia and Hyundai Ioniq are about 110-125 so yes, that would be cutting it too close.

Personally, I think I will need new daily driver not sooner then 5-6 years from now, so by that time a next generation of EV should be available.

Honestly, It's not uncommon for EVs to lose 30% range in the winter and that 150 mile theoretical range is now 105. That's too close for comfort for me.  

57 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Honestly, It's not uncommon for EVs to lose 30% range in the winter and that 150 mile theoretical range is now 105. That's too close for comfort for me.  

Lucky for us that there are already denser battery packs that we will see show up in new auto's over the next 18 months and with Solid State Battery Development, we should see 500 mile range packs by 2030 or 11 1/2 years from now if not sooner. We are in a fast changing landscape. Hold onto your socks as we charge into the future.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, they're not out yet and 2030 is a long way off.. 

Sooner than most will realize, especially among the CPO buyer crowd.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Wouldn't it be even longer if you're waiting for a used one..? 

My thinking is that if you are looking at 5 to 6 years for your next auto, the EV's and Hybrids that come out in the next 12-18 months will then be coming up off their Lease so CPO options.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

My thinking is that if you are looking at 5 to 6 years for your next auto, the EV's and Hybrids that come out in the next 12-18 months will then be coming up off their Lease so CPO options.

Ohhhh Okay, I see what you mean then. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, Zane Wylder said:

This car fanatic doesn't want any of the NWO Agenda 21 crap pushed on me, and instead sticks with Gas and possibly diesel

:tinfoil:Automakers offering an EV or two...and some subset of the population making the choice to buy one is not some grand conspiracy.  Don't want an EV? Don't buy one.  Personally, I think you're missing out on some fun times. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Fake.  Totally staged.

I drove 200+ miles this weekend in very hilly terrain, having fun rowing the gears in my miniature Jeep.  The Tesla is no more exciting than an electric shaver.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I had a whole bunch of fun in a CT6 which can drive itself if I want it to. Fun comes in different packages.

That it does.. going for a drive on winding roads through a national park yesterday in my 5000lb Jeep w/ the windows down, sunroof open and stereo cranked up (listening to The Cure) was fun.  Great Spring weather and greenery now...

2.5 sec 0-60 in a Tesla sounds like a lot of fun...

• Agree 2

If the only manual transmission left in the world was a FWD Ram Promaster, I doubt you'd be putting down a pre-order deposit. 

That's how I am with EVs. There are lots of plug in hybrids I'm interested in, none I can afford right now. There are no EVs I'm interested in... but not because of the power train. I wouldn't buy an EV ProMaster either. It's just not my kind of vehicle regardless of power train.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

EVs and Hybrids are interesting, just nothing that really appeals to me right now...we'll see in 5-10 years how the market looks. 

Going by you purchase history, I would say the only candidate currently would be Volvo XC90 phev

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Going by you purchase history, I would say the only candidate currently would be Volvo XC90 phev

Yeah, it's a beautiful crossover... really like the exteriors and interiors of the current Volvos...really like the V90 wagon also.  Out of my price range now, but a CPO down the road, never say never...

• Like 1

I see quite a few ProMasters around in various liveries and noticed how square they are.  Front is rounded, but the rear doors and rear body and glass are all very cubist.   Maybe Ram could spice things up w a retro 70s style Street Van package w custom wheels, shag carpet, etc. ;) 

• Like 1