Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Drops A New Turbo-Four Into 2019 Silverado

On 5/19/2018 at 7:34 AM, Scout said:

Makes me wonder what kind of fun Performance parts will come out for this Turbo 4 banger. 🤔

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have... they're yuuuge.

I am wondering if a common complain is the inability to get them in garages now due to height. 

So are these hitting that Magic 8 ft tall mark of most common garage doors?

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Makes me wonder what kind of fun Performance parts will come out for this Turbo 4 banger. 🤔

The problem is that while the doors may be 8ft tall, the openers hang lower than that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have... they're yuuuge.

I am wondering if a common complain is the inability to get them in garages now due to height. 

I could very easily see that as a complaint and the Ram's air suspension could probably solve that, if it doesn't already. 

They could have the truck connect to the home's wifi or know it's address and as soon as you pull into the driveway it drops down do you don't have to sit waiting at your garage door for it to lower. That'd be pretty fancy. I think Tesla does something similar but raises up for the driveway curb, if I'm not wrong. 

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I believe they are the magic 79.9 inches wide though. Once they hit 80" they have to have the marker lights added like the duallies do. 

Yup, watched a number of videos that talk about the 79.9" wide and that this new truck is only 1.5" longer but the wheels are 4" farther apart to greatly increase interior room. Yet no one talks about the Height. Yet people all mention that it is taller.

Interesting as Drew is correct that an 8' garage door does not take into account the 4" arm of a garage door opener. H'mmmm 🤔

• Agree 1

Checked the dimensions w/ my 1967 garage.  The door opening is 7 feet (84 inches), the lowest point of the ceiling is also 84 inches (the fluorescent lights hang down a few inches).  Interesting in that the ceiling is stepped with the motor and track being recessed relative to the forward lower ceiling.   I've been able to back my Jeep in and not hit anything, though I usually pull in.   Width is the big issue w/ the garage.   

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Most garage doors in my experience are 7-ft, not 8. 8-ft is out of average reach for manual operation, and although most people have openers today, doors most often 'carry on as is'. Of course, you can get any height you want- my brother's shop has a 14-ft door.

I can't get my '04 2500HD into my shop- even with the mirrors folded those sub-8-ft wide doors are too narrow. Single-vehicle garage doors are going to be a problem with both height & width on these new trucks... but they're trucks; they're SUPPOSED to sit outside, right?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

... but they're trucks; they're SUPPOSED to sit outside, right?

Yes, I would agree with you that most do, but try telling someone in the suburbs that his new $80,000 baby has to sit outside cause it is too big. :P 

• Sad 1

These trucks are getting overly big.  And that has nothing to do with capability, a mid-size vehicle could be made to out tow the Ford Super Duty that is 80+ inches high and 225 inches long, and I know this because a Tesla Model X can tow a Boeing 787 which weighs 287,000 lbs.

• 2 months later...

It's funny, on the 19 Silverado preview site, they don't mention that the 2.7 is a 4 cylinder.   They list 2 V8s and the 2.7 Turbo.  There isn't much of a power or torque gap between the 2.7 and 5.3,  so I wouldn't see them doing the V6 except maybe as a value leader for the base fleet trims (since the current 4.3 has lower power and torque than the 2.7). 

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/all-new-2019-silverado

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hard data on the new '19 is not yet in the usual places, via my searching, but early info also showed both the 4.3 V6 and the 3.0 I6 TD will be available. I believe the "6" engines the 6.6, 6.2, 5.3, 4.3, 3.0 and 2.7.

I found this singular pic of what appears to be a CC/SB- the lower bodyline extends past the fuel filler door, seemingly indicating the 6.5' bed... but could not find either body configurations or wheelbases for the new generation online anywhere.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 6.19.27 AM.png

As arguably convoluted as the front end design of this truck is, for some reason I THINK I really like it.

Edited by balthazar

40 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Hard data on the new '19 is not yet in the usual places, via my searching, but early info also showed both the 4.3 V6 and the 3.0 I6 TD will be available. I believe the "6" engines the 6.6, 6.2, 5.3, 4.3, 3.0 and 2.7.

I found this singular pic of what appears to be a CC/SB- the lower bodyline extends past the fuel filler door, seemingly indicating the 6.5' bed... but could not find either body configurations or wheelbases for the new generation online anywhere.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 6.19.27 AM.png

As arguably convoluted as the front end design of this truck is, for some reason I THINK I really like it.

When I asked about the V6 in the new Silverado, the reply from the Manager of Product Development Communications replied, "What V6?"

So my guess is that the 4.3 is dead.

The front end looks better in other trims. The air vents on the front bumpers are aero-functional. 

Edit: I just went and looked at the order guide and the 4.3 is there for 2019... so I guess he was for some reason being coy at the time of release.