William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford Mach 1 EV Crossover To Use Focus Platform

Before the start of this year's Detroit Auto Show, Ford held a press conference revealing new models such as the new Bullitt Mustang and Ranger. But they also teased a new electric crossover wearing an iconic name - Mach 1. The only details provided by Ford is that it would provide a range of 300 miles and launch in 2020. A new report from Autocar has some possible new details on the vehicle.

The Mach 1 crossover currently has the codename of CX430 and will likely have some design cues inspired by the Mustang. Underpinning the model will be Ford's C2 platform. Currently, this platform is being used for the next-generation Focus and Escape crossover.

The Mach 1 is part of Ford's plan to launch 16 electric vehicles by 2022.

Source: Autocar

View full article

• Haha 2

Interesting, will be watching for more details on this. Not surprised that they are starting out on the compact platform for their first EV.

Ford's answer to the Bolt, but with Mustang styling cues.  Hmm

Kind of smells of desperation...given how confused Ford is currently about their production direction, and how far behind they are w/ EVs.

• Haha 1

There are plenty of companies who don't have full EVs out yet. They're no further behind than most and have made statements saying the F150 and Mustang will both be getting hybrids along with this weird-ass Mach 1. I think they've also made public their plans to have at leas a hybrid powertrain in every vehicle but I don't recall the time table for that. 

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There are plenty of companies who don't have full EVs out yet. They're no further behind than most and have made statements saying the F150 and Mustang will both be getting hybrids along with this weird-ass Mach 1. I think they've also made public their plans to have at leas a hybrid powertrain in every vehicle but I don't recall the time table for that. 

Makes me wonder if Ford will not take this approach and call it a Mach 1 EV? 🤔

See the source image

or this

See the source image

Maybe this is what they think a Mach 1 EV might be? :scratchchin:

See the source image

Now that would be interesting if they made the new Focus RS/ST an performance EV, I just assumed it would be a boring SUV. I didn't think of it being sporty.. We can only hope. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm already disappointed in this vehicle.

Mach 1 name for an EV "SUV" : 👎🏼

Mustang styling cue on a "SUV" : 👎🏼

Yeah not only do you waste a legendary name like Mach 1, but you do it on a tarted up Focus Electric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

disgusting squander of heritage

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ford's answer to the Bolt, but with Mustang styling cues.  Hmm

Like putting Sushi with chocolate ice cream...just...wrong...

On 5/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, ocnblu said:

disgusting squander of heritage

I would so buy you a steak dinner for this post.  Hell....If you lived closer I would buy you a dozen.

On 5/22/2018 at 6:21 PM, smk4565 said:

Yeah not only do you waste a legendary name like Mach 1, but you do it on a tarted up Focus Electric.

Meet the new Ford Motor Company....more of this crap to come!

And I thought the Eclispse Cross was bad.

okay this is a rumour.

but forever only retarded decisions, what do...

2 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

And I thought the Eclispse Cross was bad.

okay this is a rumour.

but forever only retarded decisions, what do...

Glad someone else feels my level of love and respect for the blue oval.

Dreadful idea, but it's a different time, different Ford.   It wouldn't be the first time they've misused the Mach 1 name--it was used on the awful Mustang II in the mid 70s. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

55 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It wouldn't be the first time they've misused the Mach 1 name--it was used on the awful Mustang II in the mid 70s. 

... yeah but so was "Mustang". ;)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, balthazar said:

... yeah but so was "Mustang". ;)

It was interesting how different the path was that each automaker took in the mid 70s...AMC and Chrysler threw in the towel on their performance coupes, Ford downsized the Mustang and upsized the Cougar, and GM kept the F-bodies but added the H-bodies.

2020 Ford electric SUV teaser via Joann Muller via Michael Martinez

Ford has released a teaser of the not Mach 1 EV auto. Clearly has Mustang looks.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      GM Announced this morning that the company will be investing $300 million and adding 400 jobs at its Orion Township, Michigan assembly plant.  The investment will go towards facilities to produce a new electric vehicle for the Chevrolet brand.
      The new vehicle will be the second such vehicle, after the Cadillac EV Crossover, to be built on GM's new BEV3 platform, an advance version of the same platform that underpins the Chevrolet Bolt EV.  
      The Orion plant currently builds the Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Bolt EV, and the Cruise AV test vehicles. There are about 880 hourly and 130 salary employees working there.
      Along with the investment announcement for Orion, GM is announcing another $1.8 billion in U.S. manufacturing. This comes on the heels of the closure of the Lordstown assembly plant in Eastern Ohio.  The plant was the subject of a series of tweets by the President in an attempt to get GM to either sell the plant or quickly reopen it.  GM has said that it has 2,700 job openings available for the 2,800 employees that have been displaced by the recent idling of 5 of its facilities. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      GM Announced this morning that the company will be investing $300 million and adding 400 jobs at its Orion Township, Michigan assembly plant.  The investment will go towards facilities to produce a new electric vehicle for the Chevrolet brand.
      The new vehicle will be the second such vehicle, after the Cadillac EV Crossover, to be built on GM's new BEV3 platform, an advance version of the same platform that underpins the Chevrolet Bolt EV.  
      The Orion plant currently builds the Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Bolt EV, and the Cruise AV test vehicles. There are about 880 hourly and 130 salary employees working there.
      Along with the investment announcement for Orion, GM is announcing another $1.8 billion in U.S. manufacturing. This comes on the heels of the closure of the Lordstown assembly plant in Eastern Ohio.  The plant was the subject of a series of tweets by the President in an attempt to get GM to either sell the plant or quickly reopen it.  GM has said that it has 2,700 job openings available for the 2,800 employees that have been displaced by the recent idling of 5 of its facilities. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford is adding 550 workers to their Kentucky plant that builds the Navigator and Expedition in order to meet surging retail demand for the big SUVs.  Retail sales were up 35% which has netted Ford a 5.6% gain in market-share for the Expedition.  The Navigator is doing even better with a 70% increase in sales. 
      Ford has already increased line speed and split some jobs to multiple people in an attempt to increase  production. Vehicle production will be increased after the July shutdown. 
      Along with the increase in production, Ford will be starting an advertising campaign focusing on the size and spaciousness of the Expedition.  
      Ford increasing job and production in the US stands in sharp contrast to the steep cuts of over 6,000 jobs Ford announced for Europe. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford is adding 550 workers to their Kentucky plant that builds the Navigator and Expedition in order to meet surging retail demand for the big SUVs.  Retail sales were up 35% which has netted Ford a 5.6% gain in market-share for the Expedition.  The Navigator is doing even better with a 70% increase in sales. 
      Ford has already increased line speed and split some jobs to multiple people in an attempt to increase  production. Vehicle production will be increased after the July shutdown. 
      Along with the increase in production, Ford will be starting an advertising campaign focusing on the size and spaciousness of the Expedition.  
      Ford increasing job and production in the US stands in sharp contrast to the steep cuts of over 6,000 jobs Ford announced for Europe. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford's operations in Europe books a 351€ billion loss for 2018 in contrast to a 324€ billion profit the year prior.  Already in the midst of a major restructuring, Ford has now announced job cuts in Germany and the UK.
      Ford employs roughly 24,000 people in Germany with expectations to lower that by 5,000 to 19,000 total. Most of the cuts are expected to come from voluntary redundancies and early retirement.   Ford aims to make the cuts "in the most socially responsible way possible."
      In addition to the German job loses, another 1,150 employees will lose their positions in the UK. 
      Ford has already shuttered an assembly plant in France and cut its vehicle lineup. 
      Ford's moves follow that of Honda which is closing its plant in Swindon, Nissan which is reducing output in Sunderland, Infiniti leaving Western Europe and Volkswagen laying off 7,000 workers.

View full article
  • My Clubs