CAYMAN or CORVETTE

If I'm spending that much money, it'll be a Corvette for me. Always has been. Always will be.

i like the look of the cayman rear.

obviously the Corvette with around 400hp will smoke the entry level Cayman, but if you are drawn to the shape of the Cayman I think its justifiable and Porsches will always handle well.

I absolutley love the Corvette but I think sometimes the physical dimensions of length and width of the Vette are just a bit larger than what I would want in a 2 seater. I would love a Solstice or Sky coupe for example.

Make no mistake, some day I WILL own a Corvette, but i think the Cayman might just be another affordable performance car that would be a blast to own....in a different style.

I absolutley love the Corvette but I think sometimes the physical dimensions of length and width of the Vette are just a bit larger than what I would want in a 2 seater.  I would love a Solstice or Sky coupe for example.

The Corvette does look kind of big sometimes, but it's not:

Cayman dimensions: Length 172.1 in, Width 70.90 in, Height 51.4 in.

Corvette dimensions: Length: 174.6 in, Width (without mirrors) 72.6 in, Height 49.0 in.

911 dimensions: Length 175.63 in, Width (without mirrors) 71.18 in, Height 51.18 in.

So it's actually shorter than the 911 and only 2.5 inches longer than the Cayman.

The Corvette does look kind of big sometimes, but it's not:

Cayman dimensions: Length 172.1 in, Width 70.90 in, Height 51.4 in.

Corvette dimensions: Length: 174.6 in, Width (without mirrors) 72.6 in, Height 49.0 in.

911 dimensions: Length 175.63 in, Width (without mirrors) 71.18 in, Height 51.18 in.

So it's actually shorter than the 911 and only 2.5 inches longer than the Cayman.

wow, great comparison.

damn, it just looks so much wider and meaner. the C5 vette was longer tho?

Seems easy enough to me:

Corvette:

simple, durable, proven, elegant & torquey.

easy to maintain, easy to repair & a bargain.

Cayman:

expen$ive to maintain, expen$ive to own &

a hassle to repair. Overenginered but still needlesly

complex and in the end, the Corvette still kicks it's

butt. I love Porsches, esp. rear/mid engined ones

but the reality of 2006 is that inteligent car

enthusiasts buy Corvettes, becasue everything else

is just a poor value and does not measure up

$-per-$. The only exception to this rule would be

possibly the Lotus Elise. But even then my money

would be on the Corvette.

I mean seriously bro, if three digit $ Ferraris can not

keep up with the Corvette around the Nurburing then

how can the Cayman even attempt to measure up?

wow, great comparison.

damn, it just looks so much wider and meaner.  the C5 vette was longer tho?

Yeah the C5 was significantly bigger. 179.7 inches long, 73.6 inches wide, but it was not as tall at 47.8 inches.

I think the fact that the C6 is significantly shorter makes it look longer, which is probably why the C5 looks even longer still, because it's even shorter. I'd bet if you asked 10 people if the 911 or C6 was shorter that 9 of them would say 911.

its gunna be a corvette for me... i know porsches are great cars but they seem oddly proportioned to me... i just dont find them all that attractive... it oesnt hurt that ive dreamt of owning a corvette since i was 9... nearly 9 years of obsession will outweigh anything... lol

as i think about it... if i had a spare 51k laying around... id find a 69 L88 and get that instead... id probably wind up with an extra 25-30k left over... and i have a badass 427 under the hood with around 450 horsepower (thats SAE net... in gross horsepower its up around 580 something...) not to mention one of the sexiest cars ever to roll out of detroit... so thats where my money would go...

Cayman:

expen$ive to maintain, expen$ive to own &

a hassle to repair.

Actually, Porsches are supposedly the highest quality, most reliable German cars you can get right now...infact, I think their reliability/quality is only second to Lexus, but don't quote me on that.

The cayman is a nicer car than the vette, but the vette is obviouly the better performer (not to shoot down the cayman because it performs fantastically)...Now, if you were talking about the Cayman S, it would be a different story. Of course, then the argument comes up "Well, might as well get a Z06". :rolleyes:

Since we're getting into subjectivity I think the

Cayman looks horrible. It looks like a 2nd gen.

Toyota MR-Spyder with a fitted Hard top shell

roof. :puke:

I'm not a fan of modern Porsches, as a matter

of fact I think the 993 was the last true Porsche

ever made. The lack of air cooled motors &

amoeba headlights of the 1998-2005 911s left

me very unimpressed. The new 911 has won

me over wiht it's sleek looks but the Boxter &

Cayman look cheap & lame.

These are good looking porsches IMO. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since we're getting into subjectivity I think the

Cayman looks horrible. It looks like a 2nd gen.

Toyota MR-Spyder with a fitted Hard top shell

roof. :puke:

I'm not a fan of modern Porsches, as a matter

of fact I think the 993 was the last true Porsche

ever made. The lack of air cooled motors &

amoeba headlights of the 1998-2005 911s left

me very unimpressed. The new 911 has won

me over wiht it's sleek looks but the Boxter &

Cayman look cheap & lame.

These are good looking porsches IMO. :)

Sixty8... has anyone ever told you that you this is the year 2006? Air-cooled engines just don't cut it. ATVs aren't even air-cooled anymore, neither are motorcycles. Air-cooling simply isn't efficient enough.

Anyways, the fact that you posted that said a 996 GT2 is "good-looking" says something...

Besides, classics are classics. You have a taste for classics. Ofcourse they are going to look better to you. But the Boxster and Cayman are quite possibly two of the sexiest sports car you can buy. I know it might be hard to admit since you keep forgetting this is 2006 and not 1976, but once it's 2036 it'll be obvious to you. The Corvette has the power while the Cayman and Boxster have the looks, the handling, and the luxury. I know which is better.

For me a 911 is the only Porsche, the others don't count. So this is a hands-down win for the Vette.

The Cayman improves greatly on the ungainly looks of the Boxster, but it is still a case of whipped cream on $hit.

The Boxster isn't ungainly looking, so I don't see what you mean. But hey, you're selling a one-of-a-kind Firehawk... You must have something out of whack in that brain of yours. :P

the convertibles are better looking... ill give you that... but theres still something thats just weird about them... they just look out of proportion for whatever reason... i think it may be the way the hood slopes down yet the sides dont... and the way the rear has no lines on it...

and then theres always the part where it doesnt look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:P

Edited by 04monteintimidator

yur right... good thing it doesnt... because then they would sell more and the people at porsche woulnt be able to keep up... and then theyd just get more ridiculously over-priced!! :P

The Cayman improves greatly on the ungainly looks of the Boxster, but it is still a case of whipped cream on $hit.

You have a special way with words. This is priceless and dead accurate!

BV: I love many modern designs.

The MB CLK500, Infiniti FX45 & G35 Coupe', Cadillac CTS-V/STS-V

C6 Corvette, Saturn Sky & POntiac Solstice all look absolutely awesome.

They have style, originality and to at least some degree are timeless. :wub:

I also agree with Camino about his other comment... other than the

928 & 959 the 911 is the only Porsche that matters.

You have a special way with words. This is priceless and dead accurate!

BV: I love many modern designs.

The MB CLK500, Infiniti FX45 & G35 Coupe', Cadillac CTS-V/STS-V

C6 Corvette, Saturn Sky & POntiac Solstice all look absolutely awesome.

They have style, originality and to at least some degree are timeless. :wub:

I also agree with Camino about his other comment... other than the

928 & 959 the 911 is the only Porsche that matters.

You still haven't answered me... what's so "ungainly" about it? Look at those pics and tell me. :P

Anyways, you're still very old school. The fact that the 911 is the only Porsche for you clarifies it. What's so wrong with a more affordable, better handling, smaller, 2 seat, mid engine Porsche? And why can't you admit that it's sexier than any modern designs you like? And are all midengined designs ungainly? It just looks like a sexy midengined roadster to me... A super sexy one at that. :D

Anyways, the things that really turn me off to the Vette's design is it's huge "up in the air" ass, poorly designed greenhouse, and overall cheap feel. As far as it's huge ass... I greatly prefer these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

See? Now those are sexy... until the Corvette gets an ass like that again, it won't be sexy. Designing a greenhouse that doesn't flow as well as a puzzle would help as well... and remove those cheap bits, like those side markers. Ugh.

BV:

Okay... well I see where you're coming from. For waht it's

worth the Boxter tail lights are dated and on the Cayman

they look horrible, the greenhouse looks like a Korean

concept car and the fron is kind of Kia Cheesy.

The Boxter you posted is a HUGE improvement over the

original gen. and looks very good in black, from the front

but still plain & non-exotic from the butt. A center mounted

exhaust does not solve the jelly-bean look.

In any case the Boxter is a wannabe in the field of sports

cars... it's not a high status car. To me and most of my

buddies we make fun of Boxters because they're pretty

much for people who know nothing about cars and just

want a Porsche emblem on their bonnet but can't afford

a 911. It's like a Valley girl car... I blew off a yellow one

in my Camaro one summer and scarred the $hit out of a

couple ditzy-brunettes with Jay-Lo sunglasses when I

dropped down the car into 2nd & drove past at 7000RPM.

That's trhe demographic for the Boxter/Cayman but the

Vette is a true enthusiast's car... no excuses no B.S.

Just hard core #s and a killer stance.

BV:

Okay... well I see where you're coming from. For waht it's

worth the Boxter tail lights are dated and on the Cayman

they look horrible, the greenhouse looks like a Korean

concept car and the fron is kind of Kia Cheesy.

The Boxter you posted is a HUGE improvement over the

original gen. and looks very good in black, from the front

but still plain & non-exotic from the butt. A center mounted

exhaust does not solve the jelly-bean look.

In any case the Boxter is a wannabe in the field of sports

cars... it's not a high status car. To me and most of my

buddies we make fun of Boxters because they're pretty

much for people who know nothing about cars and just

want a Porsche emblem on their bonnet but can't afford

a 911. It's like a Valley girl car... I blew off a yellow one

in my Camaro one summer and scarred the $hit out of a

couple ditzy-brunettes with Jay-Lo sunglasses when I

dropped down the car into 2nd & drove past at 7000RPM.

That's trhe demographic for the Boxter/Cayman but the

Vette is a true enthusiast's car... no excuses no B.S.

Just hard core #s and a killer stance.

:blink: Basing the car on it's driver's is about as stupid as it gets. By that stand... the Vette is mid-life crisis car, not an enthusiast's car. As far as I'm concerned, the Boxster is an enthusiast's car. Midengine layout, 2 seats, conv top, flat-6 engine, excellent handling, and sexy looks... What's not to love? I'd take one over a C6 any day of the week. Anyways, how are it's taillights dated? They flow with the body and adds to that super sexy look. I will agree the Cayman doesn't look as good with them, though. And the front... that doesn't even make sense. Still... would you rather the Boxster be a 911 mini-me and then make fun of it for being that instead? That's all I'm getting from you, you know... :P

For me, I'd rather have a Boxster than a 911. Porsche made it for people like me. :D

Now to throw some more gasoline onto the fire:

Ever see a mouse who's hindquarters were caught in a trap? They drag themselves around with their front legs as their back half is squashed flat. That is what the back of a Boxster looks like to me: as if it has suffered some crippling injury. Thus, my description of "ungainly".

Now, I can be critical of cars I like as well, and yes I agree with BV that the Vette still has a big fat ass. It is much better than a C5 but still huge. It is not so bad in person (the C5 was) and looks better in metallic colors than bright solid ones. I remember reading about why the tail of the Vette is like it is (and it was a valid reason- aerodynamics I think) but I still would like to see more raw style there.

Ever see a mouse who's hindquarters were caught in a trap? They drag themselves around with their front legs as their back half is squashed flat. That is what the back of a Boxster looks like to me: as if it has suffered some crippling injury. Thus, my description of "ungainly".

Isn't that a bit extreme? Either way... the rear is the sexiest part of the Boxster, IMO. :D

Well then...

I like big butts and I can not lie.... Baby got back!

Apt. description, I don't like very skinny Chicks

and I don't like the Boxter's squised ass.

They're both great cars, but if I'm going to spend this kind of money on a car, it had better have a V8 in it. So I'd have to say Corvette, but the Cayman wouldn't be too far behind-I've got a soft spot for hearing a six-cylinder being wound up. I think the Vette looks better (just a little), and if I recall correctly, it's also cheaper. Maybe with the left over money, I could lease a Cayman...

Now, I can be critical of cars I like as well, and yes I agree with BV that the Vette still has a big fat ass. It is much better than a C5 but still huge. It is not so bad in person (the C5 was) and looks better in metallic colors than bright solid ones. I remember reading about why the tail of the Vette is like it is (and it was a valid reason- aerodynamics I think) but I still would like to see more raw style there.

yeah the last few vettes have had fat asses.

but sometimes it makes them look like a supercar.

I love the cayman. love the vette. can't i have both?

Well, I usually prefer smaller vehicles, so then the Cayman would get my vote, but I would really like to drive American, so that's the Corvette... well, which one may I have in dark green?

... Either way... the rear is the sexiest part of the Boxster, IMO. :D

You are right, the rear on the Boxster looks great... but it looks terrible on the Cayman, the greenhouse ruins everything.

By that stand... the Vette is mid-life crisis car, not an enthusiast's car. As far as I'm concerned, the Boxster is an enthusiast's car.

UUUUH...Okay, I'm going to have to stop you right there. The Corvette it more than just some midlife crisis car and can OUTPERFORM the Cay on quite many levels. The Corvette is no longer just a I-can-go-fast-only-in-a-straight-line car. The Corvette IS an enthusuasts car, the Corvette does have some remarkable performance technology of its own, and the Corvette is less about showoffy vestigal bells and whistles like the Cayman is (not of course to say that the Vette doesn't now have enough of its own). The Corvette can handle with the best of them, it has a WINNING racing heritage and a rich 53-year history behind it.

The Cayman, to put simply, is a Grand Tourer. It is partially a luxury car. the Corvette isn't, and never pretends to be. The Corvette is just as much about speed, and about spirited driving, and enthusiasm as the Cayman is, and it's more powerful to boot. And untill a Cayman comes out that can match the Corvette in those aspects, such as performance (There won't, by the way. For that you'd have to trade up to a 911) the Cayman itself is just as much a midlife crisis car as the Vette is.

IN FACT.

Living in Southern California, I no doubt see several Corvettes a day, many, many more Boxsters, and I'm starting to see quite a showing of even more Caymans now.

Guess what. The types of people who drive the Corvette--Lawyers, Doctors, Businessmen, and various other older types who might be having a midlife crisis

...get ready for this...

IS EXACTLY THE SAME CROWD I SEE DRIVING BOXSTERS, CAYMANS AND 911's.

So there. IF the Corvette is a midlife crisis car, the the Cay is just as much so, performance and enthusiasm, all withstanding.

That being said, The Cayamn does still rate as one of my favorite cars, and the only other Porsche I really care about, but it still pales in comparison to the only Porsche that I could ever really fall in love with:

Posted Image

Now this...Mien Gott! 5.7 liters of pure, concentrated badass.

Edited by Turbojett

UUUUH...Okay, I'm going to have to stop you right there. The Corvette it more than just some midlife crisis car and can OUTPERFORM the Cay on quite many levels. The Corvette is no longer just a I-can-go-fast-only-in-a-straight-line car. The Corvette IS an enthusuasts car, the Corvette does have some remarkable performance technology of its own, and the Corvette is less about showoffy vestigal bells and whistles like the Cayman is (not of course to say that the Vette doesn't now have enough of its own). The Corvette can handle with the best of them, it has a WINNING racing heritage and a rich 53-year history behind it.

The Cayman, to put simply, is a Grand Tourer. It is partially a luxury car. the Corvette isn't, and never pretends to be. The Corvette is just as much about speed, and about spirited driving, and enthusiasm as the Cayman is, and it's more powerful to boot. And untill a Cayman comes out that can match the Corvette in those aspects, such as performance (There won't, by the way. For that you'd have to trade up to a 911) the Cayman itself is just as much a midlife crisis car as the Vette is.

IN FACT.

Living in Southern California, I no doubt see several Corvettes a day, many, many more Boxsters, and I'm starting to see quite a showing of even more Caymans now.

Guess what. The types of people who drive the Corvette--Lawyers, Doctors, Businessmen, and various other older types who might be having a midlife crisis

...get ready for this...

IS EXACTLY THE SAME CROWD I SEE DRIVING BOXSTERS, CAYMANS AND 911's.

So there. IF the Corvette is a midlife crisis car, the the Cay is just as much so, performance and enthusiasm, all withstanding.

Well, you need to read what Sixty8 said, then. I don't truly believe the Corvette is only a mid-life crisis car, but it was meant in the same vein as Sixty8's comment. If what he said was true, which it wasn't, then what I said is true, which it isn't.

Posted Image

I think you may be the first person in history to cite those ungainly plastic C3 rear ends as an example of beauty. :stupid:

I remember reading about why the tail of the Vette is like it is (and it was a valid reason- aerodynamics I think) but I still would like to see more raw style there.

I think I've read something about that too. If I remember correctly, the fat ass creates a sort of vacuum right behind the car, which helps keep it stabilized at high speeds.

And by the way, if I were shopping for a sports car in that price range, I'd go with a Lotus, hands down. Or maybe keep saving until I could afford a 911.