Jump to content
William Maley

Mazda News: Rumorpile: Turbo Power for the CX-5?

Recommended Posts

When we drove the Mazda CX-5 towards the end of last year, we found ourselves wishing that either the long-delayed turbodiesel or possibly the 2.5: turbo-four from the CX-9 would grace the engine. The 2.5L four-cylinder does ok around town, but really struggles when more speed is needed. It seems our wish could be coming true.

The Truth About Cars obtained a certification document from the California Air Resources Board for the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder. In the document, it lists the 2019 CX-9 and CX-5 offering this engine. It would give the CX-5 a nice power boost as the turbo-four produces 227 horsepower (250 horsepower on premium fuel) and 310 pound-feet of torque.

Mazda declined to comment when asked about the document.

We're guessing that Mazda could debut the turbo engine in the CX-5 at the LA Auto Show in November.

Source: The Truth About Cars


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please! I know I'm saying no more turbo 4s (for me), but this well make a great crossover even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would sure make this the no-brainer choice in this segment for me pending the new RAV4 hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yawn, the CX-9 was a slug to me with that motor, hopefully the liter CX-5 will have more sprint. Wish they would just do a proper NA Direct injection four at 2.9 L and call it good.Torque with a decent bump in HP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 5:28 PM, dfelt said:

Yawn, the CX-9 was a slug to me with that motor, hopefully the liter CX-5 will have more sprint. Wish they would just do a proper NA Direct injection four at 2.9 L and call it good.Torque with a decent bump in HP.

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, riviera74 said:

The CX-9 needs a V6.  This will probably work out very well in the CX-5.

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

600lbs to 700lbs.  having 2-3 adults less weight would be noticable. it's late, not googling the turbo engine weight difference to N/A engine

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, loki said:

the 2018 cx9 is 4,166 to 4,361 lbs

the 2018 cx5 is 3,527 to 3,655 lbs

600lbs to 700lbs.  having 2-3 adults less weight would be noticable. it's late, not googling the turbo engine weight difference to N/A engine

 

This.

Though I have driven the 2.3T in the Mazda 6.... I didn't get enough seat time in it for my satisfaction, but my initial impression was that it is still not a V6 replacement, though still better than the base 2.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got to drive 2018 CX-9 this weekend.  Whoever says it is a slug haven't driven any other vehicles in the segment.  CX-9 compared to most of other CUV's drives almost like a sports sedan.  The engine has plenty of power.  Also, it had regular gas in it so it was at a lower power level but it felt quicker and more responsive than 290hp V6 MDX I drove recently.   Big part of it is the transmission of course.  In any case I got to drive it "very spirited" on a twisty road and it moved great for a car its size.

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, dfelt said:

Yawn, the CX-9 was a slug to me with that motor, hopefully the liter CX-5 will have more sprint. Wish they would just do a proper NA Direct injection four at 2.9 L and call it good.Torque with a decent bump in HP.

In this class of vehicle it would be perfect. n/a 4 banger would definitely be worse. This is rated 310tq and a n/a engine would probably be in the 225 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ykX said:

I just got to drive 2018 CX-9 this weekend.  Whoever says it is a slug haven't driven any other vehicles in the segment.  CX-9 compared to most of other CUV's drives almost like a sports sedan.  The engine has plenty of power.  Also, it had regular gas in it so it was at a lower power level but it felt quicker and more responsive than 290hp V6 MDX I drove recently.   Big part of it is the transmission of course.  In any case I got to drive it "very spirited" on a twisty road and it moved great for a car its size.

I think CX-5 with that engine will be great since it is smaller and lighter.

Totally Disagree, had it for 2 weeks on vacation, car sucks as it is a slug in moving 5 people in the auto. Cramped seating, only the drivers seat is fully adjustable, front passenger sits higher and sucks for big people like me, I had my knees in the dash with the seat back and could not be a passenger so I ended up driving all the time rather than having a drink out once in a while and letting the wife drive. 

Auto is just on par with many of the others, it does not handle the curves that well and is constantly needing power and especially Torque. 

Maybe if driven alone with a 5'8" tall average male height and weight it might feel more spirited, but loaded with family and luggage, sucked, even with just family it sucked and gas mileage, TERRIBLE. I would never recommend this as a better CUV over other same class CUVs. 

PASS BIG TIME!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Totally Disagree, had it for 2 weeks on vacation, car sucks as it is a slug in moving 5 people in the auto. Cramped seating, only the drivers seat is fully adjustable, front passenger sits higher and sucks for big people like me, I had my knees in the dash with the seat back and could not be a passenger so I ended up driving all the time rather than having a drink out once in a while and letting the wife drive. 

Auto is just on par with many of the others, it does not handle the curves that well and is constantly needing power and especially Torque. 

Maybe if driven alone with a 5'8" tall average male height and weight it might feel more spirited, but loaded with family and luggage, sucked, even with just family it sucked and gas mileage, TERRIBLE. I would never recommend this as a better CUV over other same class CUVs. 

PASS BIG TIME!

Well, the car I drove was just me (6.1") male and my friend (6.3") male with some stuff in the trunk.  Both of us loved it so lets just agree to disagree.  It is not super spacious, it is smaller than some other cars in the segment, but it drives much smaller than it is and it handles great.  Funny enough most car magazine reviews seem to agree with me and give it a great praise as well (with known shortcomings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I ended up driving all the time rather than having a drink out once in a while and letting the wife drive. 

I can't possibly imagine it being so impossibly snug that you couldn't just deal with one trip home from a restaurant/bar in the passenger seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I can't possibly imagine it being so impossibly snug that you couldn't just deal with one trip home from a restaurant/bar in the passenger seat. 

Remember, though, dfelt is Thanos sized...can't fit in anything less than a full size GM body on frame SUV it sounds like... ;)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Remember, though, dfelt is Thanos sized...can't fit in anything less than a full size GM body on frame SUV it sounds like... ;)

Oh I know he's huge. But haven't we all sat somewhere for a ride home when drinking before? Just Saturday night I was in the hatch with a second person of a 2010 Escape 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I know he's huge. But haven't we all sat somewhere for a ride home when drinking before? Just Saturday night I was in the hatch with a second person of a 2010 Escape 😂

Yeah, been there done that.  I know fitting myself (6'0", 200+) into the back of a '15 Mustang was claustrophobic...and sitting in the back seat of a '76 Porsche 911 was beyond uncomfortable.. (had to sit sideways w/ my legs across the seat as there was no legroom--the guys up front were bigger than me). 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, been there done that.  I know fitting myself (6'0", 200+) into the back of a '15 Mustang was claustrophobic...and sitting in the back seat of a '76 Porsche 911 was beyond uncomfortable.. 

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do. 

So I know being tall and cramped but in the front seat of a 3 row crossover CANNOT be THAT bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I know he's huge. But haven't we all sat somewhere for a ride home when drinking before? Just Saturday night I was in the hatch with a second person of a 2010 Escape 😂

Wife, son and daughter are all 5'8" and my son's girlfriend Kay is only 4'11" and a whopping 90lbs. All 4 of them could not move me if they had to. So out of respect for others, I weight till I get home to drink. Last time I drank out where I needed help was college and it tool 6 guys to carry me up to my dorm room. 

Nope, having myself crushed up in a seat, knees into the dash and trying to get a seatbelt on in a very tight and roomless auto like the CX9 is a pass for me.

Not making life hard for others just to enjoy some drinks. Rather hold off and make sure everyone else has fun and gets home safe than want my own  drink out.

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

LOL Absolutely! Sometimes ya just do what a gotta do. 

So I know being tall and cramped but in the front seat of a 3 row crossover CANNOT be THAT bad. 

It is bad when you feel the dash push against your knees and legs cause the seat cannot go back far enough, down far enough etc. CX9 seat adjustments are terrible. Worse I have ever seen in an auto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst for cramped for me is when I find my head touching the rear glass sitting in a backseat..worse than my head touching the headliner.   Had this happen in a '15 Mustang and a Velocter few years ago...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      When Kia revealed the new Soul to the U.S. in 2018, they announced that the EV would be arriving sometime a year later. 2019 came and the automaker announced that the Soul EV had been pushed back to 2020. A few months later, the launch date was pushed to 2021. Now, an internal source at Kia's U.S. office has revealed to Roadshow that the Soul EV isn't coming at all.
      According to the source, a number of factors played into this decision. Some of the factors such as limited supply of batteries and motors, along with increased demand for the model Europe were used to explain the last delay. Also, the Soul EV has independent rear suspension. The standard Soul doesn't, which would make the EV more expensive to bring to the U.S. and add complexity. 
      Adding fuel to the fire, Kia has removed any mention of the Soul EV on their U.S. consumer and media sites. There is also no mention of the Soul EV on the EPA site. Previously, the vehicle was mentioned with a range of 243 miles.
      When reached by Roadshow, a Kia spokesperson said they haven't heard anything about the Soul EV being canned for the U.S., but did confirm they have "no pending plans to introduce before 2021 at the earliest."
      We'll keep you posted on this story.
      Source: Roadshow

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Kia revealed the new Soul to the U.S. in 2018, they announced that the EV would be arriving sometime a year later. 2019 came and the automaker announced that the Soul EV had been pushed back to 2020. A few months later, the launch date was pushed to 2021. Now, an internal source at Kia's U.S. office has revealed to Roadshow that the Soul EV isn't coming at all.
      According to the source, a number of factors played into this decision. Some of the factors such as limited supply of batteries and motors, along with increased demand for the model Europe were used to explain the last delay. Also, the Soul EV has independent rear suspension. The standard Soul doesn't, which would make the EV more expensive to bring to the U.S. and add complexity. 
      Adding fuel to the fire, Kia has removed any mention of the Soul EV on their U.S. consumer and media sites. There is also no mention of the Soul EV on the EPA site. Previously, the vehicle was mentioned with a range of 243 miles.
      When reached by Roadshow, a Kia spokesperson said they haven't heard anything about the Soul EV being canned for the U.S., but did confirm they have "no pending plans to introduce before 2021 at the earliest."
      We'll keep you posted on this story.
      Source: Roadshow
    • By William Maley
      During a recent fireside chat with Bank of America, Ford teased a new 'Whitespace' product due in the 2021MY. What could that product be? Muscle Cars & Trucks speculates this may be a smaller pickup truck.
      We've been hearing rumblings about this since 2018 when Automobile Magazine first brought this to light. This truck would be the replacement for the Brazilian market Courier, last sold in 2013. It would be based on the C2 platform that underpinned at the time the new Focus for markets outside of the U.S. Fuel would be added to the fire a year later when Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets dropped this,
      Since then, a trademark filing for Maverick by Ford has appeared, possibly giving us a name for this new model. Plus, dealers were shown this model earlier this year where it earned an enthusiastic reception.
      This model could have a starting price of around $20,000 or so when it launches. Stay tuned.
      Source: Muscle Cars & Trucks

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Drew Dowdell

      Mask-it or casket!
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

      Oh goodie! Look what my mom mailed to me. Ha.....ha.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

      You betcha!
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

      You’ve heard this theory that there are a large number of people walking around infected by the virus but completely asymptotic? After a day out running errands, I’m not convinced this is true. The virus is clearly having a cognitive impact on these people and they walk among us (or in front of us slowly, or just stand there in the middle of the aisle, or make left hand turns from the right hand lane, or argue with cashiers over 50 cent price discrepancy while there’s a line to the back of the store and it turns out they read the price wrong)
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

      It’s been 10 years together!
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...