Buick News: GM Seeks An Exemption To Exclude Buick Envision from Tariffs

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

Many Buick and Cadillac dealers are not 'best price' dealers and are averse to putting one price prices or any prices at all on their websites.

Hence; I used dealer sites that posted both MSRPs and advertised prices.
Greenbrook has 0 '17 LaCrosses, and 6 '18s. Of the 6, 1 is $3500 off, the others are about $1500.
Perrine has 1 '18 and it's $2000 off. Their 1 '17 is a service / demo car.
Straub has 1 '17, it's $4800 off. They have 3 '18s, they're about $900 off MSRP.
Maxon has 0 '17s, 15 '18s, the biggest discount is about $2500 vs. sticker.
Freehold has 0 '17s and 0 '18s.
Flemington only lists 1 2019 LaCrosse.
Kerbeck has 6 '18s, the biggest discount is about $2500.

None of the Buick dealer's site's I checked DIDN'T have both prices posted on all cars.
LaCrosse is in low inventory in NJ, and there's nothing close to $10K off on any of them via my observation. We're still being vague on if we're talking about '17s or '18s, anyway.
Sorry reg, I just cannot even remotely duplicate your claim.

...in the next few months we will even see the inevitable 25 or 30% off MSRP

how is that going to be possible when

they won't advertise their fire sales

???

Edited by balthazar

8 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I suspect that Honda has high dealer inventory turnover because Honda tends to make too few vehicles (given demand) in order to support those MSRPs.  Same with Acura, I suspect.

This is true... Honda intentionally under-produces to avoid a situation with excess inventory.  They brag about having the lowest rental fleet sales in the industry partially for that reason.  I don't think they care about winning the volume war, they aim for per-unit profitability, thus aim to keep margins high, not just the lights on.

• Like 1

Latest story on auto's that the American Public do not want. Dated April 17th 2018

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/04/17/cars-americans-dont-want-to-buy-3/

#15 Buick Envision Avg days on lot 161.8

#14 Cadillac ATS Avg days on lot 164.9

#13 Cadillac XTS Avg days on lot 165

#12 Buick Cascada Avg days on lot 167.3

#11 Hyundai Genesis Avg days on lot 169.2

#10 Cadillac CTS Avg days on lot 172.3

#9 Buick LaCrosse Avg days on lot 175.9

#8 Jeep Patroit Avg days on lot 176.0

#7 Buick Regal Avg days on lot 177.7

#6 Toyota Yaris Avg days on lot 178.4

#5 Nissan Quest Avg days on lot 185.1

#4 Chrysler 200 Avg days on lot 187.4

#3 Volkswagen CC Avg days on lot 189.4

#2 Dodge Dart Avg days on lot 207.8

#1 Buick Verano Avg days on lot 223.6

Buick was the top slow selling auto line in 2017. This they state is due to Americans having lost their love of sedans and coupes.  Buick Envision is the only CUV on the top 15 list and they believe this is due to inventory issues based on a lack of diverse versions as the bulk of them are fully loaded high priced models that get large discounts at the end of the year.

Interesting point made is that the Cadillac ATS is the only car to be on the list since 2015 and is a head scratcher as they say it is a superior driving machine compared to BMW. 

This was compiled based on 2017 data from Kelley Blue Book. They took the average number of days a model sat on the dealer's lot before being sold.

• Haha 1

This is the data as of 2016, I could not find any newer but it shows the average number of days in dealer inventory by segment, make and manufacturer.

2016-10-dtt.xls

Would love to get a 2017 version to compare.

Story is a year old, but I have to say has some valid points made.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/25/cars-are-sitting-on-the-lot-longer-even-as-dealers-sweeten-the-offers.html

They talk about how the average MSRP from all auto companies is now based on a 10.5% incentive level in the suggested retail price. This tells me that instead of selling a solid auto at a reasonable price, they are jacking up the price to then tear it down with huge incentive to artificially make one think they are getting a great deal.

I would rather have them sell a few less auto's at higher ATP than be the volume leader.

• Agree 1

Searched every Buick dealer in Washington state, found one Verano on the lot, otherwise it would seem the dealers here do a better job of managing inventory than the east coast.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:26 AM, ocnblu said:

Well then, Obama's team should have "leveraged" GM to kill Buick and let Pontiac live.

Uh, no.  The Chinese auto industry is bigger than the American auto industry.  Buick is here because of China and I think GM sold more cars in China than it did in the USA last year.  GM would have gone bankrupt again if Obama took away their Chinese business.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Latest story on auto's that the American Public do not want. Dated April 17th 2018

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/04/17/cars-americans-dont-want-to-buy-3/

#6 Toyota Yaris Avg days on lot 178.4

#5 Nissan Quest Avg days on lot 185.1

#4 Chrysler 200 Avg days on lot 187.4

#3 Volkswagen CC Avg days on lot 189.4

#2 Dodge Dart Avg days on lot 207.8

#1 Buick Verano Avg days on lot 223.6

Interesting point made is that the Cadillac ATS is the only car to be on the list since 2015 and is a head scratcher as they say it is a superior driving machine compared to BMW. 

Wait, Toyota still has the Yaris on sale?  

That list is littered with Cadillac and Buick’s because they over built and the sales were dismal.  You don’t see any BMW, Audi or Mercedes or Acura or Lexus sedans on that list so it goes beyond “people just don’t buy sedans anymore.”

The ATS all around isn’t a good enough product to drive demand, plus it doesn’t say BMW on it, so people don’t want it.   Cadillac’s biggest problem is image.  Take away the product and say “I drive a Cadillac” “I drive a BMW” or “I drive a Tesla” and which seems like the most envious statement?  

For the most part, people don’t want Cadillacs, they buy them because they “got a deal” and can feel some sense of victory in getting $10,000 off sticker.

Edited by smk4565

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, when my Escape got wrecked my rental was a Yaris. It was a big ole POS. 

I think that would have been the old Yaris... you're not wrong about it being a POS, but it's not the better Mazda built one available today. 

• Agree 1

they sent 6 mos of Envision stock and Envisions stay about 5 1/3 mos on the lot before selling.

Talk about over production. The car is over produced in China, and I believe now the real reason why the Envision came to U.S. market is because it didn’t sell as well as GM had hoped. 

The Envisions competitors in China are the same as here.

6 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Uh, no.  The Chinese auto industry is bigger than the American auto industry.  Buick is here because of China and I think GM sold more cars in China than it did in the USA last year.  GM would have gone bankrupt again if Obama took away their Chinese business.

Duh smk... the plan is to build cool Pontiacs for North America and for export/manufacture to China simply affix them with waterfall grilles, simulated wire wheel covers, ventiport hoods, crushed velour interiors, landau roofs and non-straked taillights for the Chinese.  I do not care one bit if China gets a rebadged "Buick" that could be sold as something more desirable here.

Edited by ocnblu

36 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Duh smk... the plan is to build cool Pontiacs for North America and for export/manufacture to China simply affix them with waterfall grilles, simulated wire wheel covers, ventiport hoods, crushed velour interiors, landau roofs and non-straked taillights for the Chinese.  I do not care one bit if China gets a rebadged "Buick" that could be sold as something more desirable here.

WOW. 1985 called: they want their old GM back.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

they sent 6 mos of Envision stock and Envisions stay about 5 1/3 mos on the lot before selling.

Talk about over production. The car is over produced in China, and I believe now the real reason why the Envision came to U.S. market is because it didn’t sell as well as GM had hoped. 

The Envisions competitors in China are the same as here.

EXCITEMENT!!!!!

image.png

• Haha 1