trinacriabob

Computer and hardware purchase question - help

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Samsung has moved to Pie but then you are looking at the Galaxy 10 line. They have pushed Pie over the last month out to all phones capable of handling Pie.

If you do not want the delay, then you can go with the Pixel as @Drew Dowdell points out, but I have not been impressed with the camera on the pixel.

Really? I think its quite good.

IMG_20170813_194603-EFFECTS.jpgDSC09217.ARW.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Pixel phones definitely have top rated cameras for image quality.  They are not cheap though, unless subsidized or you find an older model (not the 3/3XL).

@Drew Dowdell Thank you for posting those. They are nice. The last time I looked at the pixel almost 2yrs ago, it was not as good as the samsung then to my eyes, so I went with the samsung. Will have to take another look when I get ready to upgrade phones again.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Really? I think its quite good.

IMG_20170813_194603-EFFECTS.jpgDSC09217.ARW.jpg

Just recently took these with my Pixel 3XL.  Pixel consistently beat everyone else camera until recently.  The main reason i got it in the first place.

IMG_20190403_051813.jpg

IMG_20190331_150130.jpg

IMG_20190419_133622.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

@ykX those look great! Mine is just the original Pixel. 

Yes, as I said before I got mine few months ago and I love it so far.   Low light pictures and action photos of my kids come out great as well.

Very cool guys, thank you now I want to check out the latest one. Those pic's are awesome!

I'm a little hesitant about spending big bucks on a phone.  I've trembled *almost* when standing on the edge of a vaporetto in Venice and taking one photo after the next, wondering if the damn thing will fall into the Grand Canal.  This railing of a ship, ferry, or water taxi scenario always goes through my head.  Therefore, I'd like to stay at a mid-range price point.

In general, how long are apps supported on an Android platform? 

Which is the last Android platform to be supported today by most major apps, or what's the cutoff?   Any rules of thumb?

Planned obsolescence .... cars, phones, you name it.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:11 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Since we're on a Paris kick...

DSC09234.ARW.jpg

1889 vintage ... and to think they had plans to dismantle it.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Therefore, I'd like to stay at a mid-range price point.

In general, how long are apps supported on an Android platform? 

Which is the last Android platform to be supported today by most major apps, or what's the cutoff?   Any rules of thumb?

I think if you go with previous generation of Pixel or Samsung, it will be cost effective and still you will get a very good phone.  Also, I had previously Moto X4 which is inexpensive, it was a good phone, just the camera was not what I wanted.

I think apps support depends on the developer, not really on Android or Google, so it depends.  The apps I am using were working fine on both previous generation of Android and on the latest as well.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think if you go with previous generation of Pixel or Samsung, it will be cost effective and still you will get a very good phone.  

This.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ykX said:

I think if you go with previous generation of Pixel or Samsung, it will be cost effective and still you will get a very good phone.  Also, I had previously Moto X4 which is inexpensive, it was a good phone, just the camera was not what I wanted.

I think apps support depends on the developer, not really on Android or Google, so it depends.  The apps I am using were working fine on both previous generation of Android and on the latest as well.

Right, the developer (for a particular client or business) decides with that business where they'll draw the line.  As Android platforms have advanced, I've found that some apps on my phone  no longer work.  My phone looks like a Blackberry but it's the very last AT&T phone using Android that has the similar QWERTY keyboard.  I am now almost sick of it.

Ok, how about removable battery or non-removable battery?  There are still a select few that have a removable battery.  I have removed the battery on my current phone some 10 to 20 times over the years to cause it to unfreeze.  It was instinctive to do that and it sure has worked.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Ok, how about removable battery or non-removable battery?  There are still a select few that have a removable battery.  I have removed the battery on my current phone some 10 to 20 times over the years to cause it to unfreeze.  It was instinctive to do that and it sure has worked.

My Note 8 does not have that option anymore for removable, but then I have not ever had a freeze issue on it either so no need to do that and I now make a habit of rebooting it once a week to have it boot up clean.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Most of the higher end phones we've been recommending done have removable batteries. You can just press and hold the power button to power off the phone, same as a battery pull.

• Thanks 1

There can't be many phones left w/ removable battery..can't recall when I've had a phone w/ one..maybe 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There can't be many phones left w/ removable battery..can't recall when I've had a phone w/ one..maybe 10 years ago.

It's recent but not new.  The LG V20 (Android 7) is such a phone.

Have you had more current phones freeze or lock up?  How did you get them "unstuck?"

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Have you had more current phones freeze or lock up?  How did you get them "unstuck?"

I have a v20 as a backup and my DAP.  I have a tablet that freezes once in a while and the button combination works.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Press and hold power until it shuts off.

• Thanks 1

The iPhone led the industry in NOT having removable phones.  Many Android models have since followed suit, especially in the last five years.  Holding down the power button until it allows you to switch it off or turns off by itself is the best way to deal with a stuck phone these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, frogger said:

I have a v20 as a backup and my DAP.  I have a tablet that freezes once in a while and the button combination works.

Do you like the LG V20?  The reviews seem to like it.

- - - - -

Here's where I'm at.  I want to buy a damn phone this week. (I do no want an I-phone.)

LG V20

• (2016 release date)
  • O.S.:  Android 7, upgrade to Android 8 available
  • Battery:  removable
  • Reviews: 4+ (around 4.3)
  • Glass:  not Corning and not waterproof
  • Quirks:  dual screen or something to that effect; will definitely need a strong case
  • Purchase:  after market, can participate in "AT&T bring your own phone." Question:  will it in fact be new and what does "open box" mean?

Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2

Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 (first version was Android 4 or sim.)

• (2018 release date)
  • O.S.: Android 8
  • Battery: non-removable
  • Reviews: high 3s (almost 4)
  • Glass: sapphire (does not scratch) but not as tough as Corning Gorilla glass; some amount of waterproofing
  • Quirks: no FM radio - which I've never used on any phone; sturdy construction but some still report breaking the glass
  • Purchase:  offered by AT&T - I would be continuing on at about $15 a month for the phone

Both phones: storage, RAM, camera megapixels, etc. about the same for both phones.

I want to stick with AT&T (long-time customer) and I want a mid-priced phone since I am not a power user.

Of these two, which would you choose? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Do you like the LG V20?  The reviews seem to like it.

- - - - -

Here's where I'm at.  I want to buy a damn phone this week. (I do no want an I-phone.)

LG V20

• (2016 release date)
  • O.S.:  Android 7, upgrade to Android 8 available
  • Battery:  removable
  • Reviews: 4+ (around 4.3)
  • Glass:  not Corning and not waterproof
  • Quirks:  dual screen or something to that effect; will definitely need a strong case
  • Purchase:  after market, can participate in "AT&T bring your own phone." Question:  will it in fact be new and what does "open box" mean?

Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2

Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 (first version was Android 4 or sim.)

• (2018 release date)
  • O.S.: Android 8
  • Battery: non-removable
  • Reviews: high 3s (almost 4)
  • Glass: sapphire (does not scratch) but not as tough as Corning Gorilla glass; some amount of waterproofing
  • Quirks: no FM radio - which I've never used on any phone; sturdy construction but some still report breaking the glass
  • Purchase:  offered by AT&T - I would be continuing on at about $15 a month for the phone

Both phones: storage, RAM, camera megapixels, etc. about the same for both phones.

I want to stick with AT&T (long-time customer) and I want a mid-priced phone since I am not a power user.

I don't think I would pick the v20 as a daily use phone at this point because of the battery life and lack of updates.  Newer flagship and midtier phones have much better battery life.  I think I would be happier with a new $350 phone.  I specifically acquired a used v20 for $150 to use with my entry level hifi headphones.

Open box could mean a lot of different things but usually it would be a customer return.

Here are a few options at different price points I would consider.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HD2X91Q

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM3QZY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_JtEXCbX2YCECQ

• Thanks 1

Now I would put the new Pixel 3a/3aXL into serious consideration..

• Upvote 2