1959 Oldsmobile 98 | All Original | Classic Beauty

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

48 minutes ago, balthazar said:

• I've been into cars of this era for easily 30 years and I've NEVER heard the term "bubble dome" applied to a '59-60 GM flattop.
• C-Pillar, douche. Your supposed to be a car guy.

Sounds like their are confusing the 'bubble top' term that is often applied to the 2dr hardtop of that era (though I'm used to seeing that more w/ the '61s.

I believe the term didn't come about until '61-62, when Chevy & Pontiac (in '61) ran 2 different rooflines on the 2-drs. I've never seen a '59-60 printed piece referring to those 2-drs as 'bubble tops', tho they are very similar in profile. But there was no other 2-dr roofline in '59-60. Me, of course; I prefer the lil bit sleeker '59-60 roof. ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 1.31.24 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

All the B-body 2dr hardtops in '61 had the bubble top (Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Olds), then '62 had the anomaly where the Impalas and all other B-bodies went to the faux-convertible look squared off top (which was used through '64), yet the Bel Air hardtop retained the '61 roofline. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar