Jump to content
William Maley

Quick Drive: 2018 Mazda6 Signature

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

^ This....

@dfelt is doomed to a life of Suburbans and Escalades. 

Yes, like NBA and NFL players..doomed to having to buy full size SUVs to haul around their posse of hangers-on...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Probably two guys 6'3 if no one adult is in the back seat behind them.

I meant two adults in the back seat which four average adults total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ykX said:

I meant two adults in the back seat which four average adults total.

Since I have checked out the Mazda 6 of a regular member here....yes...seems reasonable.

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yes, like NBA and NFL players..doomed to having to buy full size SUVs to haul around their posse of hangers-on...

Someone needs to sell bling and 26 inch rims. A market for everything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You are very correct in that...but they were not really full sized either.

They were Roomy! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew Dowdell @Cubical-aka-Moltar @A Horse With No Name @ykX

So this year, was 50, colonoscopy, total cardio and while I easily passed everything, I have put on weight, 310lbs. 40" waist. So September 1st I went into body builder mode. 🏋️‍♂️ Low fat, veggie, dairy and protein focused diet. Dropped 15lbs so far, gained an inch in the chest, lost one in the waist. making good weight gains in lifting. Gonna see how close I can get back to my college days of body building, but I admit, it will be hard as I do not see myself giving up wine and chocolate when I watch a movie over the weekend.

Will keep ya guys updated, but no I doubt unless Cadillac brings back the Brougham that I will ever be back in a car as I like my comfort and need to always make sure I have room for myself in the seat behind myself. 

That way, I make sure everyone riding with me is comfortable. After all, Happy wife, Happy Kids, Happy Friends, Happy Life!

Convinced the wife to give Skiing a try this year, so she is also in the gym with me working hard to get into better shape for Ski season! ⛷️ 

Now ya know how I measure rear seat room. Set the front seat for my comfort, get out, get in behind the front seat I just set and see how I fit. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See the source image

Me in a little car! :rofl:

Not sure what is worse, big guy in little car or sadly what I see around here all the time. Big short guy on a little bike.

See the source image

:roflmao:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes zero sense for a major auto company to build around the 0.1% of the population. If they did that people 5' and under would struggle, which there are more people I run into that are 5' or less than over 6'6".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It makes zero sense for a major auto company to build around the 0.1% of the population. If they did that people 5' and under would struggle, which there are more people I run into that are 5' or less than over 6'6".

Missing the Point, easy to build by just having longer auto's. Selling the ATS and CTS L edition from China here in the US as regular auto's would give them room no other luxury automaker has and would make the back room seat debate a moot point. Very simple to do by adding 6 inches of leg room, tall people can slouch then and fit into the coupe roof line on everything that is out there now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Missing the Point, easy to build by just having longer auto's. Selling the ATS and CTS L edition from China here in the US as regular auto's would give them room no other luxury automaker has and would make the back room seat debate a moot point. Very simple to do by adding 6 inches of leg room, tall people can slouch then and fit into the coupe roof line on everything that is out there now.

Buy said longer autos. They already make them. Why even ask about ones that are classified as "mid size" when you know you need longer autos? 

ATS-L(Chinese ATS) would absolutely not be in a class of "room no other luxury automaker has". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Buy said longer autos. They already make them. Why even ask about ones that are classified as "mid size" when you know you need longer autos? 

ATS-L(Chinese ATS) would absolutely not be in a class of "room no other luxury automaker has". 

They do not already make them here, you cannot get the L edition of the cadillacs here and if you could there is nothing the German or Asian brands have that would compete with an ATS that has additional 16 inches of rear leg room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dfelt said:

See the source image

Me in a little car! :rofl:

 

 

:roflmao:

Some years in the NBA have boosted Marcin's car budget

gortat.jpg?w=640

 

image.png.ee205c310bebcc63ad416cc2c1a3268d.png

image.png.3bbee1358119630483ff5f6f47607808.png

image.png.56683efa677da60ec46e0c844672ba46.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm not missing the point. I think you are. You ask about size for every vehicle no matter the class and then act surprised or like the automaker is oblivious to different size humans. 

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

They do not already make them here, you cannot get the L edition of the cadillacs here and if you could there is nothing the German or Asian brands have that would compete with an ATS that has additional 16 inches of rear leg room.

Then go the next size up, CT6. There are vehicles that will fit you and you know from the outside which ones those are. 

ATS vs ATS-L is not an additional 16 inches of rear legroom. It's 3.3 inches. Which is still smaller than a CTS so if you already said the CTS was too small why are you even bringing up the ATS? If you are interested in an ATS-L, buy a CTS.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

They do not already make them here, you cannot get the L edition of the cadillacs here and if you could there is nothing the German or Asian brands have that would compete with an ATS that has additional 16 inches of rear leg room.

The reason they don't sell those here is that they're not up to the US safety standards for side impact.  Get a CT6. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I want any more cars in my considerable, serial "collection".  Crossovers, SUVs or pickup trucks are where it's at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I have still failed as in the past Cadillac always sold tweener cars that were just a bit bigger than the Germans. Then they moved to building cars that compete with the Germans and they have gotten nailed over pretty much the same crap the Germans have in their auto's and on top of this with identical rear car seats we have people complain about Cadillac but it is OK with the Germans.

So my point is use the US safety version but extend it to be equal in length to what is sold over in China and have a bit bigger auto. Take away the stupid talking points.

FYI, I have been in the CT6, very nice car, but the rear I cannot fit in without the front seat pulled up and I slouch. Still not big enough for my body. Yes I am the exception to many here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Car and Driver

2018 Mazda6 signature

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 33.3 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr’s claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 184 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY:
Observed: 21 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 36 mpg
Highway range: 590 miles

 

 

2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD (just sayin)  Mazda continues to underwhelm, all the time, time to stop glorifying their run of the mill

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 28.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 162 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY:
Observed: 24 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 31 mpg
Highway range: 490 miles

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 2:28 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

If Chevrolet put the 2.0 into a lower level of Malibu it would be an obvious choice over this...but given the extra power...I think I would take the Mazda over the Malibu.

Nice looking car and I wish them well with it.

Chris

bingo.  But now the new LSY in the XT4, i would love to see if it makes it to the Malibu.  Improved NVH, and maybe if they added some tune to it.  NOW you're talkin.

20 hours ago, dfelt said:

ALWAYS RELEVANT!!!

The biggest missed place in ALL AUTO REVIEWS is to clearly talk about how people sitting in the front will affect those sitting in the back. There is NEVER a perfect front seat sitting and back seat sitting that fits a perfect 4 or 5 adult placement. This is the LIE that the auto industry has not owned up to. You and your coworkers decide to go out to lunch and your the one who offered to drive. You and one coworker are US average size of 5'8" another is 5'6" tall but very large size and the other is 6'2" tall and you drive a Camry. Who sits where and why. 

IMHO, ALL Auto Reviews should cover sizing and how it fits for the AVERAGE American but also if you have Large size people or tall people or even very short. 

Just like many other areas in life that people either try to fit everyone into or ignor it totally, the interior space of sizing for a single person is a lie when you will always have a variety of sized people. They should clearly state a 4 adult person space seating in every car or SUV on how people will fit. Fine if 5'8" tall is the standard they want, but then clearly state how much head room, hip room, leg room, etc. is left or if there is not enough.

We have discussed many times on how tight the compact to mid size 4 door sedan market is and how even when multiple OEMs state the same or near same seat size, one fits more comfy than another.

The reviews are heavily biased on just the driver and not taking into account passengers.

I could go on but I hope you get my point.

The Mazda6 is tighter than Malibu, especially in the back.  The front is comparable but the Mazda6 rear seat is the weak spot.  Just enough tighter that adults won't like it IMO.  One of the reasons besides bad NVH (at least back in 2014 or whatever) I crossed off the Mazda6 pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Back seats are usually for children or pets.     How many car buyers actually care if large adults fit in the back seat of a car?  It seems like an edge case, not a common use case. The driver space is the most important measurement.    However, I could see back seat space for adult passengers being a concern if you are a taxi, Uber or Lyft driver. 

I end up in the back seat often enough that it makes a diff to me.. Especially on long trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, regfootball said:

bingo.  But now the new LSY in the XT4, i would love to see if it makes it to the Malibu.  Improved NVH, and maybe if they added some tune to it.  NOW you're talkin.

The Mazda6 is tighter than Malibu, especially in the back.  The front is comparable but the Mazda6 rear seat is the weak spot.  Just enough tighter that adults won't like it IMO.  One of the reasons besides bad NVH (at least back in 2014 or whatever) I crossed off the Mazda6 pretty quickly.

I end up in the back seat often enough that it makes a diff to me.. Especially on long trips.

Different use cases for different people, understandable.  I've never ridden in the back seat of my own cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Missing the Point, easy to build by just having longer auto's. Selling the ATS and CTS L edition from China here in the US as regular auto's would give them room no other luxury automaker has and would make the back room seat debate a moot point. Very simple to do by adding 6 inches of leg room, tall people can slouch then and fit into the coupe roof line on everything that is out there now.

 

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Guess I have still failed as in the past Cadillac always sold tweener cars that were just a bit bigger than the Germans. Then they moved to building cars that compete with the Germans and they have gotten nailed over pretty much the same crap the Germans have in their auto's and on top of this with identical rear car seats we have people complain about Cadillac but it is OK with the Germans.

So my point is use the US safety version but extend it to be equal in length to what is sold over in China and have a bit bigger auto. Take away the stupid talking points.

FYI, I have been in the CT6, very nice car, but the rear I cannot fit in without the front seat pulled up and I slouch. Still not big enough for my body. Yes I am the exception to many here.

EVERY YEAR, when at the auto show, and in the Cadillac section, it is brutally clear one huge reason why Cadillac doesn't make sales.  Nearly everyone bitches about the useless back seat of the ATS, and even people comment on the cramp front quarters of the CTS (although that is more sort of due to console design).  Cadillac used to have the original CTS be a tweener above the 3 series.  The ATS fails in back seat room compared to 3 series and Mercedes, just by a noticeable enough amount to make a difference between usable and not usable.  CTS is in a higher price class so it seems woefully small inside in comparison to perceived value vs sticker.

Cadillac's heritage calling card, up until the last 10-15 years or so was spaciousness = luxury.  Until they return to providing space expected in each class they will lose sales once people arrive at the test drive and put the car on for size.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, regfootball said:

 

Cadillac's heritage calling card, up until the last 10-15 years or so was spaciousness = luxury.  Until they return to providing space expected in each class they will lose sales once people arrive at the test drive and put the car on for size.

One thing about that DTS my sister had, it had great rear seat space and legroom.  Her STS is good, a bit less  (FWD vs RWD proportions)...but still quite spacious...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Different use cases for different people, understandable.  I've never ridden in the back seat of my own cars.

mid sized sedans often get tested for fit of kid car seats too.  Surprisingly, many of them are tight for getting car seats behind the fronts and having good access through the door.

One car that is large but deceptively tight in the back, is the Fusion.  Its not wholly uncomfortable, its just not as efficient as one would think considering how large the car is.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, regfootball said:

mid sized sedans often get tested for fit of kid car seats too.  Surprisingly, many of them are tight for getting car seats behind the fronts and having good access through the door.

One car that is large but deceptively tight in the back, is the Fusion.  Its not wholly uncomfortable, its just not as efficient as one would think considering how large the car is.

One thing I've noticed with the Fusion and Malibu and other current midsize sedans is how the roof slopes and the rear door opening slopes..seems like getting in and out of the back seat would be awkward for adults..

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Per Car and Driver

2018 Mazda6 signature

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 33.3 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr’s claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 184 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY:
Observed: 21 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 36 mpg
Highway range: 590 miles

 

 

2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD (just sayin)  Mazda continues to underwhelm, all the time, time to stop glorifying their run of the mill

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 28.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 162 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY:
Observed: 24 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 31 mpg
Highway range: 490 miles

Is the review in question? 2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

I'm going to burst some bubbles here. I recently just sat in a Regal Sportback over the weekend at a local auto show (more on that in an upcoming Afterthoughts) and I hate to say it, I was disappointed. Many of the plastics used were somewhat middling and didn't feel as nice as the one found in the Mazda, let alone the recent Hyundai Sonata and even the Toyota Camry XSE. For a car that stickered around $38,000, it made me shake my head. The cars just listed - sticker between $2,000 to $6,000 less.

Now I'll give the Regal that it has the easier infotainment system to use. I'm quietly hoping that Mazda gets their act together and introduces something modern in the next year.

Is the Mazda6 the be all, end all midsize sedan? No. There are some areas that would make me hesitate to recommend the 6 like the stiff ride. It does some things quite well that it has earned a place in the sedans I would recommend which includes the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid and Hyundai Sonata.

I'm withholding comment on the driving dynamics of the Regal till I can get my hands on one. On paper, it may seem like the better car. But I have a sneaking suspicion that I would still pick the 6. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest question where does the Camry fall short compared to the 6 the Malibu and the Sonata?

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

mid sized sedans often get tested for fit of kid car seats too.  Surprisingly, many of them are tight for getting car seats behind the fronts and having good access through the door.

One car that is large but deceptively tight in the back, is the Fusion.  Its not wholly uncomfortable, its just not as efficient as one would think considering how large the car is.

I find the Fusion awkward enough that I told the rental car company to stop sending them to me for our school debate trips.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

One thing about that DTS my sister had, it had great rear seat space and legroom.  Her STS is good, a bit less  (FWD vs RWD proportions)...but still quite spacious...

DTS was a nice car. I like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Different use cases for different people, understandable.  I've never ridden in the back seat of my own cars.

I ride in the back seats. Part of me would not mind a car with real back seat room.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I don't think I want any more cars in my considerable, serial "collection".  Crossovers, SUVs or pickup trucks are where it's at.

From the standpoint of vintage cars I feel the same way. If I ever get another old car it will be a truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...