William Maley

Mazda News: Leaked Documents Reveal 2019 Mazda CX-5 For U.S. To Add Turbo

It is no secret that Mazda is planning to bring over the turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder from the CX-9 and Mazda6, considering the various leaked documents that have come out in the past few months and the announcement of the Japanese market version. Now, new documents have come to light revealing that the U.S. variant will get the turbo engine, along with some other key changes.

The leaked "Product Information Bulletin" reveals the turbo engine (227 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque) will be available on two new trims - Grand Touring Reserve and Signature. Somewhat surprising, the engine will not be available on the Grand Touring like on the 6. All-wheel drive will be standard for the turbo engine.

Mazda will also be adding an updated G-Vectoring Control Plus system (uses the braking system to keep the car stable when exiting a corner), and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Touring and models above.

What is somewhat surprising is no mention of the 2.2L turbodiesel in the document, despite the EPA fuel economy figures coming out. Maybe Mazda got cold feet and has decided to pull the plug or that the 2.5T threatens the diesel as it produces the same amount of torque. This is just speculation on our part and maybe the diesel will come.

As for pricing, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 begins at $25,345 after the $995 destination charge. Adding the turbo engine adds a significant cost - $35,865 for the Grand Touring Reserve and $37,885 for the Signature.

Source: Reddit

View full article

Me think that the Diesel is a dead duck. Mazda sees that the cost of building, marketing and supporting it in the US market is a money pit and as such have pulled it. I doubt we will see it unless something major changes that perception here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

there is also an option guide out there on reddit too.

• Upvote 2

Loki, our ol friend... does it come in red?  :smilewide:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Me think that the Diesel is a dead duck. Mazda sees that the cost of building, marketing and supporting it in the US market is a money pit and as such have pulled it. I doubt we will see it unless something major changes that perception here.

i think a better view of it is they may plan to redesign the cx-5 next year or for 2020...? it does ride on the 3 platform, right? the new 3 will be shown at the LA autoshow. maybe they were a tad disappointed at all the R&D it took and , maybe glad they did it, but don't want to deal with them out in the consumer space here in the USA/Canada. and will instead put more resources into the next gen cx on the new platform.

yeah, the turbo is better known and has very similar performance to the diesel.... while being very different targets, most people know gas, don't want to be confused with a diesel option. it's just understanding what is their target and what is the upkeep for warranty and dealer training... cost benefit is... lots of cost, very unsure benefit.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Only the hybrid version....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

you know it!

• Haha 1

Mid to upper $30s seems like a lot for a CX-5 but I guess they can market the turbo, if it is fast people may buy it.

• Confused 1

On 10/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, smk4565 said:

Mid to upper $30s seems like a lot for a CX-5 but I guess they can market the turbo, if they are stoned out of their effing mind and fast asleep people may buy it.

Fixed that for you good sir.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Fixed that for you good sir.

The Equniox goes over $40k with a 259 hp, 260 lb-ft turbo 4.  Mazda charging $37k for a CX-5 that is a better vehicle doesn't seem that far off.  Although I think both are over priced.

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

The Equniox

The who?

I would absolutely be interested in a 227hp/310tq compact CUV. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, dfelt said:

Who all has pulled out? All I see is more diesel offerings today than there were 5 years ago. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I would absolutely be interested in a 227hp/310tq compact CUV. 

Who all has pulled out? All I see is more diesel offerings today than there were 5 years ago. 

I think most of that was already in the pipeline due to development time and we have it now, but Mazda has had nothing but missteps with Diesel and at this point, they need to focus on where the world market is moving too, Hybrid / EV not the past of diesel.

Seems that Mazda has added EASTER EGGS to the CX5 with an Off Road mode.

https://www.thedrive.com/partner?prx_t=OdUEALX82A69UQA&dclid=CNXLh9Whv-MCFa4YrQYdEKsOmg

According to the story, you TURN OFF TRACTION CONTROL TO UNLOCK OFF-ROAD MODE

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Expectation can be a very dangerous thing. You come into something thinking it will blow your mind and more often than not, it comes up short. That’s how I felt during the first few days into a loan of a 2019 Buick Regal GS. What was being presented didn’t match up with my experience. But over the week I had the vehicle, it began to grow on. That isn’t to say some issues need to be addressed.
      At first glance, you might think Buick decided to stick with a sedan shape. But the sloping rear hatch gives away its true identity as a Sportback. This helps give the impression that the Regal is sporty, helped further by short overhangs. By adding small touches such as large front air intakes, GS-specific 19-inch wheels. Brembo front brake calipers finished in Red, and a small lip spoiler, the GS transforms the Regal into looking like a red-blooded sports sedan. 
      The interior sadly doesn’t match up with what is being presented on the outside. While there was some effort to make the GS stand out with faux carbon-fiber trim, special sport seats, and GS badging, it doesn’t quite match with what is being presented outside. Not helping are some cheap plastics littered throughout the Regal GS’ interior. If this was a standard Regal, I may have given it a slight pass. But considering this GS carries a price of almost $43k, it becomes a big issue. The interior does redeem it somewhat with a logical and simple layout. No one had any complaints about whether the controls were confusing or hard to reach.
      Let’s talk about the front seats, The Regal GS comes fitted with racing-style front seat with aggressive side bolstering and faux holes towards the top where the belts for a harness would go into. This design seems more at home in a hardcore Corvette than a Buick. Before you start thinking that the seat design only allows a small group of people to fit, Buick has fitted adjustable bolstering to allow a wide set of body types to sit comfortably. With this and other power adjustments, I was able to find a position that suited me. Over a long drive, the seats were able to provide the right amount of support and comfort.
      The back seats don’t get the same “race car” treatment as the front, but they do offer ample head and legroom for most passengers. Cargo space is quite impressive with 31.5 cubic feet with the seats up and 60.7 when folded. The Kia Stinger I drove back in January pales in comparison with 23.3 and 40.9 cubic feet.
      The Regal GS features an eight-inch touchscreen with the new Buick Infotainment 3 system. As I mentioned in my Silverado/Sierra 1500 review, the new system is worlds better than Intellilink. The interface has been cleaned up with simpler graphics and fonts that are much easier to read. Also seeing noticeable improvements is the overall performance. The system is much faster when bringing up different functions or crunching a route on the optional navigation system. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and OnStar 4G LTE round off the system. 
      With the effort Buick has put in, you might have the feeling that the Regal GS has something special under the hood. That isn’t the case. Under the hood of the GS is GM’s venerable 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower and 282 pound-feet. While the V6 packs 40 more horsepower than the 2.0L turbo-four from the last-generation model, it is also down 13 pound-feet. This absence becomes apparent when you decide to sprint away from a stoplight or exiting a corner as you need to work the engine to get that rush of power. A numb throttle response doesn’t help. If you resist from attack mode, the V6 reveals a quiet and refined nature. But again, you will need to work the engine when merging or making a pass.
      Before someone shouts “put a turbo on it”, Buick cannot do that as there isn’t enough space in the engine bay due to the design of the platform. We’ve known about this issue since 2016 when Holden was gearing up to launch the Commodore - its version of the OpelVauxhall Insignia.
      The nine-speed automatic transmission goes about its business with unobtrusive shifts when going about your daily errands, but offers up snappy shifts when you decide to get aggressive. A glaring omission on this sports sedan is the lack of paddle shifters. 
      Fuel economy for the 2019 Regal GS is 19 City/27 Highway/22 Combined. I saw an average of 20 during the week. This can likely to be attributed to the test vehicle having under 1,000 miles on the odometer. 
      On paper, the Regal GS’ handling credentials seem top-notch with Continuous Damping Control (CDC) system and a GKN all-wheel drive system featuring a twin-clutch torque-vectoring rear differential. The latter allows a varying amount of power sent to each rear wheel to improve cornering. In the real world, the GS is more Grand Tourer than Gran Sport. While the sedan shows little body roll, its reflexes are slightly muted due to a nearly 3,800 pound curb weight. The steering provides a decent amount of weight when turning, but don’t expect a lot of road feel. What about that AWD system? For the most part, you really won’t notice working unless you decide to push the limits or practice your winter driving skills in a snowy and empty parking lot. 
      Thanks to the CDC system, the Regal GS’ ride is surprisingly smooth. With the vehicle in Tour, the suspension glides over bumps and imperfections. The ride begins to get choppy if you One area that I’m glad Buick is still focusing on is noise isolation. Road and wind noise is almost non-existent. 
      The 2019 Buick Regal GS is a case of expectations being put too high. Despite what the exterior and sports seats of the interior may hint at, this isn’t a sports sedan like a Kia Stinger GT or something from a German luxury brand. But my feelings began to change when I thought of the GS as being more of a grand tourer. It has the ingredients such as a refined powertrain, a suspension that can be altered to provide either a comfortable or sporty ride; and minimizing the amount of outside noise.
      There lies the overall problem with Regal GS as Buick doesn’t quite know what it wants to be. Does it want to be a sport sedan or a luxury sedan with grand tourer tendencies? This confusion will likely cause many people to look at something else which is a big shame.
      How I Would Configure a 2019 Buick Regal GS.
      My particular configuration would be similar to the vehicle tested here with the Driver Confidence Package #2, Sights and Sounds, and Appearance packages. The only change would be adding the White Frost Tricoat color, which adds an additional $1,095 to the price. All together, it comes out to $44,210.
      Alternatives to the 2019 Buick Regal GS:
      Kia Stinger: The big elephant in the room when talking about the Regal GS. For a similar amount of cash, you can step into the base GT model with its 365 horsepower twin-turbo V6 and rear-wheel drive setup (AWD adds $2,200). I came away very impressed with the styling, performance on tap from the V6, and handling prowess. Downsides include the interior design being a bit too minimalist and the ride being a bit rough. Volkswagen Arteon: The other dark horse to the Regal GS. There is no doubt that the Arteon is quite handsome with flowing lines and sleek fastback shape. Having sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year, I found it to be very roomy and upscale in terms of the interior materials. I hope to get some time behind the wheel in the near future to see how it measures up in handling. Disclaimer: Buick Provided the Regal GS, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Buick
      Model: Regal
      Trim: GS
      Engine: 3.6L V6
      Driveline: Nine-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 310 @ 6,800 
      Torque @ RPM: 282 @ 5,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/27/22
      Curb Weight: 3,796 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Rüsselsheim Germany
      Base Price: $39,070
      As Tested Price: $43,115 (Includes $925.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Driver Confidence Package #2: $1,690.00
      Sights and Sounds Package: $945.00
      Appearance Package: $485.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Expectation can be a very dangerous thing. You come into something thinking it will blow your mind and more often than not, it comes up short. That’s how I felt during the first few days into a loan of a 2019 Buick Regal GS. What was being presented didn’t match up with my experience. But over the week I had the vehicle, it began to grow on. That isn’t to say some issues need to be addressed.
      At first glance, you might think Buick decided to stick with a sedan shape. But the sloping rear hatch gives away its true identity as a Sportback. This helps give the impression that the Regal is sporty, helped further by short overhangs. By adding small touches such as large front air intakes, GS-specific 19-inch wheels. Brembo front brake calipers finished in Red, and a small lip spoiler, the GS transforms the Regal into looking like a red-blooded sports sedan. 
      The interior sadly doesn’t match up with what is being presented on the outside. While there was some effort to make the GS stand out with faux carbon-fiber trim, special sport seats, and GS badging, it doesn’t quite match with what is being presented outside. Not helping are some cheap plastics littered throughout the Regal GS’ interior. If this was a standard Regal, I may have given it a slight pass. But considering this GS carries a price of almost $43k, it becomes a big issue. The interior does redeem it somewhat with a logical and simple layout. No one had any complaints about whether the controls were confusing or hard to reach.
      Let’s talk about the front seats, The Regal GS comes fitted with racing-style front seat with aggressive side bolstering and faux holes towards the top where the belts for a harness would go into. This design seems more at home in a hardcore Corvette than a Buick. Before you start thinking that the seat design only allows a small group of people to fit, Buick has fitted adjustable bolstering to allow a wide set of body types to sit comfortably. With this and other power adjustments, I was able to find a position that suited me. Over a long drive, the seats were able to provide the right amount of support and comfort.
      The back seats don’t get the same “race car” treatment as the front, but they do offer ample head and legroom for most passengers. Cargo space is quite impressive with 31.5 cubic feet with the seats up and 60.7 when folded. The Kia Stinger I drove back in January pales in comparison with 23.3 and 40.9 cubic feet.
      The Regal GS features an eight-inch touchscreen with the new Buick Infotainment 3 system. As I mentioned in my Silverado/Sierra 1500 review, the new system is worlds better than Intellilink. The interface has been cleaned up with simpler graphics and fonts that are much easier to read. Also seeing noticeable improvements is the overall performance. The system is much faster when bringing up different functions or crunching a route on the optional navigation system. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and OnStar 4G LTE round off the system. 
      With the effort Buick has put in, you might have the feeling that the Regal GS has something special under the hood. That isn’t the case. Under the hood of the GS is GM’s venerable 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower and 282 pound-feet. While the V6 packs 40 more horsepower than the 2.0L turbo-four from the last-generation model, it is also down 13 pound-feet. This absence becomes apparent when you decide to sprint away from a stoplight or exiting a corner as you need to work the engine to get that rush of power. A numb throttle response doesn’t help. If you resist from attack mode, the V6 reveals a quiet and refined nature. But again, you will need to work the engine when merging or making a pass.
      Before someone shouts “put a turbo on it”, Buick cannot do that as there isn’t enough space in the engine bay due to the design of the platform. We’ve known about this issue since 2016 when Holden was gearing up to launch the Commodore - its version of the OpelVauxhall Insignia.
      The nine-speed automatic transmission goes about its business with unobtrusive shifts when going about your daily errands, but offers up snappy shifts when you decide to get aggressive. A glaring omission on this sports sedan is the lack of paddle shifters. 
      Fuel economy for the 2019 Regal GS is 19 City/27 Highway/22 Combined. I saw an average of 20 during the week. This can likely to be attributed to the test vehicle having under 1,000 miles on the odometer. 
      On paper, the Regal GS’ handling credentials seem top-notch with Continuous Damping Control (CDC) system and a GKN all-wheel drive system featuring a twin-clutch torque-vectoring rear differential. The latter allows a varying amount of power sent to each rear wheel to improve cornering. In the real world, the GS is more Grand Tourer than Gran Sport. While the sedan shows little body roll, its reflexes are slightly muted due to a nearly 3,800 pound curb weight. The steering provides a decent amount of weight when turning, but don’t expect a lot of road feel. What about that AWD system? For the most part, you really won’t notice working unless you decide to push the limits or practice your winter driving skills in a snowy and empty parking lot. 
      Thanks to the CDC system, the Regal GS’ ride is surprisingly smooth. With the vehicle in Tour, the suspension glides over bumps and imperfections. The ride begins to get choppy if you One area that I’m glad Buick is still focusing on is noise isolation. Road and wind noise is almost non-existent. 
      The 2019 Buick Regal GS is a case of expectations being put too high. Despite what the exterior and sports seats of the interior may hint at, this isn’t a sports sedan like a Kia Stinger GT or something from a German luxury brand. But my feelings began to change when I thought of the GS as being more of a grand tourer. It has the ingredients such as a refined powertrain, a suspension that can be altered to provide either a comfortable or sporty ride; and minimizing the amount of outside noise.
      There lies the overall problem with Regal GS as Buick doesn’t quite know what it wants to be. Does it want to be a sport sedan or a luxury sedan with grand tourer tendencies? This confusion will likely cause many people to look at something else which is a big shame.
      How I Would Configure a 2019 Buick Regal GS.
      My particular configuration would be similar to the vehicle tested here with the Driver Confidence Package #2, Sights and Sounds, and Appearance packages. The only change would be adding the White Frost Tricoat color, which adds an additional $1,095 to the price. All together, it comes out to $44,210.
      Alternatives to the 2019 Buick Regal GS:
      Kia Stinger: The big elephant in the room when talking about the Regal GS. For a similar amount of cash, you can step into the base GT model with its 365 horsepower twin-turbo V6 and rear-wheel drive setup (AWD adds $2,200). I came away very impressed with the styling, performance on tap from the V6, and handling prowess. Downsides include the interior design being a bit too minimalist and the ride being a bit rough. Volkswagen Arteon: The other dark horse to the Regal GS. There is no doubt that the Arteon is quite handsome with flowing lines and sleek fastback shape. Having sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year, I found it to be very roomy and upscale in terms of the interior materials. I hope to get some time behind the wheel in the near future to see how it measures up in handling. Disclaimer: Buick Provided the Regal GS, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Buick
      Model: Regal
      Trim: GS
      Engine: 3.6L V6
      Driveline: Nine-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 310 @ 6,800 
      Torque @ RPM: 282 @ 5,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/27/22
      Curb Weight: 3,796 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Rüsselsheim Germany
      Base Price: $39,070
      As Tested Price: $43,115 (Includes $925.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Driver Confidence Package #2: $1,690.00
      Sights and Sounds Package: $945.00
      Appearance Package: $485.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Quarterly:
      Ford Motor Company - Not Reported
      General Motors Co. - Not Reported
      Tesla - Not Reported
      FCA US LLC - Not Reported
      Monthly:
      Audi of America -  Up 0.8% for the month, Down 5% for the year
      BMW of North America -  Down 1.7% for the month, Down 1.2% for the year
      Genesis Motor America - Not Reported
      Honda Motor Co. -  Up 1.9% for the month, Down 0.9% for the year
      Hyundai Motor America -  Up 12.13% for the month, Up 3.10% for the year
      Infiniti USA - Down 11.2% for the month, Down 12.5% for the year
      Jaguar Land Rover North America - Up 5% for the month, Up 5% for the year
      Kia Motors America - Up 0.6% for the month, Up 3.3% for the year
      Mazda North American Operations - Down 3.5%  for the month, Down 13.9% for the year
      Mercedes-Benz USA - 19.5% for the month, Down 4.0% for the year
      Mitsubishi Motors North America -  Down 13.4% for the month, Up 3.2% for the year
      Nissan Group - Down 9.1% for the month, Down 8.3% for the year
      Porsche Cars North America Inc. -  Up 23.3% for the month, Up 5.3% for the year
      Subaru of America, Inc. - Up 7.9% for the month, Up 5.6% for the year
      Toyota Motor North America - Up 0.2% for the month, Down 2.6% for the year
      Volkswagen of America -  Up 2.2% for the month, Up 6.1% for the year
      Volvo Cars of North America, LLC - Up 2.0% for the month, Up 4.7% for the year

Brands (Quarterly):
      Alfa Romeo - Not Reported
      Buick -  Not Reported
      Cadillac -  Not Reported
      Chevrolet - Not Reported
      Chrysler - Not Reported
      Dodge - Not Reported
      Ford - Not Reported
      Fiat - Not Reported
      GMC - Not Reported
      Jeep - Not Reported
      Lincoln - Not Reported
      Ram Trucks - Not Reported
      Tesla - Not Reported

Brands (Monthly):
      Acura - Down 3.7% - 12,759 MTD / 86,526 YTD
      Audi - Down 0.3% - 19,409 MTD / 101,440 YTD
      BMW - Up 4.7% - 24,842 MTD / 199,865 YTD
      Genesis - Not reported
      Honda - Up 2.5% - 128,537 MTD / 831,765 YTD
      Hyundai - Up 12.3% - 57,340 MTD / 390,668 YTD
      Infiniti - Down 11.2% - 8,660 MTD / 71,718 YTD
      Jaguar - Up 7% - 2,020 MTD
      Kia - Up 0.6% - 53,405 MTD / 358,249 YTD
      Land Rover -  Up 4% - 6,456 MTD
      Lexus - Down 1.5% - 25,025 MTD  / 160,760 YTD
      Mazda - Down 3.5% - 23,292 MTD / 161,847 YTD
      Mercedes-Benz - Up 22.9% - 24,612 MTD / 172,008 YTD
      Mercedes-Benz Vans - Down 1.5% 2,878 MTD / 18,903 YTD
      MINI - Down 34.2% - 2,827 MTD / 20,410 YTD
      Mitsubishi - Down 13.4% - 8,613 MTD / 79,710 YTD
      Nissan - Down 8.9% - 90,220 MTD / 744,198 YTD
      Porsche - Up 23.3% - 4,956 MTD / 35,213 YTD
      Smart - Down 45.6% - 56 MTD / 552 YTD
      Subaru - Up 7.9% - 64,106 MTD / 403,631 YTD
      Toyota - Up 0.4% - 184,179 MTD / 1,200,552 YTD
      Volkswagen - Up 2.2% - 31,188 MTD / 215,796 YTD
      Volvo - Up 2.0% - 8,795 MTD / 58,915 YTD

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Quarterly:
      Ford Motor Company - Not Reported
      General Motors Co. - Not Reported
      Tesla - Not Reported
      FCA US LLC - Not Reported
      Monthly:
      Audi of America -  Up 0.8% for the month, Down 5% for the year
      BMW of North America -  Down 1.7% for the month, Down 1.2% for the year
      Genesis Motor America - Not Reported
      Honda Motor Co. -  Up 1.9% for the month, Down 0.9% for the year
      Hyundai Motor America -  Up 12.13% for the month, Up 3.10% for the year
      Infiniti USA - Down 11.2% for the month, Down 12.5% for the year
      Jaguar Land Rover North America - Up 5% for the month, Up 5% for the year
      Kia Motors America - Up 0.6% for the month, Up 3.3% for the year
      Mazda North American Operations - Down 3.5%  for the month, Down 13.9% for the year
      Mercedes-Benz USA - 19.5% for the month, Down 4.0% for the year
      Mitsubishi Motors North America -  Down 13.4% for the month, Up 3.2% for the year
      Nissan Group - Down 9.1% for the month, Down 8.3% for the year
      Porsche Cars North America Inc. -  Up 23.3% for the month, Up 5.3% for the year
      Subaru of America, Inc. - Up 7.9% for the month, Up 5.6% for the year
      Toyota Motor North America - Up 0.2% for the month, Down 2.6% for the year
      Volkswagen of America -  Up 2.2% for the month, Up 6.1% for the year
      Volvo Cars of North America, LLC - Up 2.0% for the month, Up 4.7% for the year

Brands (Quarterly):
      Alfa Romeo - Not Reported
      Buick -  Not Reported
      Cadillac -  Not Reported
      Chevrolet - Not Reported
      Chrysler - Not Reported
      Dodge - Not Reported
      Ford - Not Reported
      Fiat - Not Reported
      GMC - Not Reported
      Jeep - Not Reported
      Lincoln - Not Reported