NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Pontiac Motor Division Comes to an End

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

[Didn't watch vid]
General public / wikipedia-fed may know "2010", but Pontiac people only know "1982".

Really started decline into death and irrelevance after the 77-78 Downsizing imho.  But yes....1982.

You can make a strong case for the Firebird / T/A, and the LeMans / Grand Am was still a RWD coupe (& sedan) but Pontiac never made the 400 available in it. A W72 400 '80 Grand Am would've been a neat lil sleeper. If we talk the big cars, IMO the fire had died down there beginning in '70. Where they had absolutely leading edge styling on the big cars in the '60s, they were 'phoning it in' by '70 and after. There's still product to like, but it pales vs. a scant 10 years earlier.

This is supposed to be the best Pontiac offered for '75-76 ~

Bonneville002.jpg

Look at the treatment of the quarter window- not aligned with the door beltline NOR does it follow the fender line. It's just... there. Looks fine with the vinyl top, but terrible without. See how the rubber filler prevents the chrome from going all the way to the rear bumper? Of course; the terrible Bumper Era- where they have zero stylistic compatibility with the rest of the car. The design is blase' and frankly, devoid of identity in profile.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

This needs no superlatives ~

15942_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

One of my all time favorite Pontiac models. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, balthazar said:

You can make a strong case for the Firebird / T/A, and the LeMans / Grand Am was still a RWD coupe (& sedan) but Pontiac never made the 400 available in it. A W72 400 '80 Grand Am would've been a neat lil sleeper. If we talk the big cars, IMO the fire had died down there beginning in '70. Where they had absolutely leading edge styling on the big cars in the '60s, they were 'phoning it in' by '70 and after. There's still product to like, but it pales vs. a scant 10 years earlier.

This is supposed to be the best Pontiac offered for '75-76 ~

Bonneville002.jpg

Look at the treatment of the quarter window- not aligned with the door beltline NOR does it follow the fender line. It's just... there. Looks fine with the vinyl top, but terrible without. See how the rubber filler prevents the chrome from going all the way to the rear bumper? Of course; the terrible Bumper Era- where they have zero stylistic compatibility with the rest of the car. The design is blase' and frankly, devoid of identity in profile.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  Sadly, Pontiac and Olds were my favorite divisions.  Even though Pontiac styling became derivative to other GM divisions based on whatever platform GM was running, you could still tell it was a Pontiac.  In a few cases, they were just plain overstyled.  In the 1970s, I liked the Grand Prix and the (Grand) Le Mans (especially for their dashboards) but felt they could have taken some of the edges off.  The Grand Prix could have had less creasing at the fender tops ... since the Monte Carlo already delivered plenty of that.  The (Grand) Le Mans, on the other hand, faltered in what was otherwise a very attractive car by pinching and flattening the rear end/deck lid.

Very true about your comments on Bonneville/Grand Ville as shown above.  Without the landau top to align the belt line, the big opera window was a fail.  I believe the same was true of the 98 and the Electra without vinyl tops.  The ones I've liked have always had the landau tops.  The one I saw in Yosemite as a kid was the forest green metallic with a pale apple green landau roof and a pale apple green cloth interior along with rally wheels and no rear wheel well skirts.  It was beautiful.  I felt that if you're going to have Pontiac rally wheels, ditch the rear wheel well skirts.  The skirts are for other types of wheel coverings.

However, I think Pontiac also overstyled the 2004-2007 Grand Prix, mostly in the front fascia ... Smokey and the Bandit was 25 years prior. Had they cleaned it up and made the seats more comfortable (as in the 1997-2003), they might have sold more of them.  Regardless, I can't believe how many of these 15 year old Grand Prixs are daily drivers and doing just fine.

As for Olds, those were my first two cars and they safely transported me horizontally and vertically across the U.S.  You can't forget that.

I still think that Pontiac could have stayed on as a limited, nice, or boutique brand, offering only 2 or 3 models.

My all time favorite Pontiac 1971 Riviera

c602a0f2c849204da0a34e19ce9cdf93.jpg

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My all time favorite Pontiac 1971 Riviera

Umm, the Riviera, though it was pointy, was a Buick.  I do love the '71 Riv design.    One of my favorite Pontiacs from the same year--the '71 Grand Prix.

1971-pontiac-grand-prix-specs.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Umm, the Riviera, though it was pointy, was a Buick.  I do love the '71 Riv design.    One of my favorite Pontiacs from the same year--the '71 Grand Prix.

That color combo just pops on that car.

• Upvote 2

Always liked the '71 GP front, though I think it might have looked better w/ quad headlights like the '69-70.  GM's shift to single round lights for most mid sizers in the early 70s always seemed puzzling.

51237622-770-0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meant to say "niche" brand instead of "nice" brand.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

This (^) model was more understated and it carried the creased fender tops just fine.  It was the 1973 to 1977 Grand Prix where it became a bit much, especially with the front grille on the 1976 that crawled up over the top and hugged the side of the center protrusion. The rear lamps - cascading horizontal stripes - on that model year were the best of the series.  If that generation of Grand Prix was a little toned down, it would have looked even better.  However, the belt line on this car was beautiful and made it stand out. 

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/08/25/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1976-pontiac-grand-prix-2/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-0310-1976-pontiac-grand-prix/#hppp_0310_03_z-1976_pontiac_grand_prix-rear_view

No boat tail Riv for me.  I much prefer angular looking cars to rounded looking ones.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

LOL, you are so right, it was a Buick, shows how my morning has gone. Must be some witchcraft going on in the air. 

hocus pocus witch GIF

OK, so then I already posted one of my favorite Buick's. Now that I have looked at Pontiac's, seems the 70's just does not have anything that strikes my fancy. But the 68 GTO does.

bf128a0c476b3531cfa210088ff8029c.jpg

1965 for convertible for sure.

1965_Pontiac_GTO_Convertible.jpg

This is cool, but I have no idea what it is. @balthazar Mighty Yoda, can you give us the 411 on this interesting concept?

0*pGplQL3VHP5y8IIG.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

OK, so then I already posted one of my favorite Buick's. Now that I have looked at Pontiac's, seems the 70's just does not have anything that strikes my fancy. But the 68 GTO does.

1965 for convertible for sure.

This is cool, but I have no idea what it is. @balthazar Mighty Yoda, can you give us the 411 on this interesting concept?

http://www.generationhighoutput.com/1969-farago-cf428-coupe-the-italian-pontiac/

The '60s GTOs were great looking cars...I like the bigs also, from '61-68 or so...I esp. like the '67s.

001-2.jpg

9415911-1967-pontiac-grand-prix-thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Robert Hall Thank you for posting that, very informative and ultra cool, shame Pontiac did not build it. That auto Rocks in my book. I wonder what @balthazar will have to say about it.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Robert Hall Thank you for posting that, very informative and ultra cool, shame Pontiac did not build it. That auto Rocks in my book. I wonder what @balthazar will have to say about it.

The Farago would be neat to see with this Frua coupe, which is a rebodied '70 Dodge Challenger.

b2c4045968a94a53321285c5d7dcbad9-2.jpg

A couple mid '70s  Pontiacs I like the styling of are the '73 Grand Am and '77 Can Am.  Collonade coupes w/ beaks.

I also like the early 70s Firebirds.

73pont81940-1.jpg

1977PontiacCanAm_01_1200-970x624.jpg

2397_02502ccdfdc1_low_res.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Robert Hall OK my friend, you won me over to some 70's models that I like. All 3 are lovely that you posted above. I love the green Firebird on bottom, but the top is very interesting to me due to the front end design and the Middle one I love the look from the angle of the auto.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

This.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

http://www.generationhighoutput.com/1969-farago-cf428-coupe-the-italian-pontiac/

The '60s GTOs were great looking cars...I like the bigs also, from '61-68 or so...I esp. like the '67s.

001-2.jpg

9415911-1967-pontiac-grand-prix-thumb.jpg

67 Grand Prix convertible is just the cats a$$ when it comes to hit sixties cars.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

This.

Even better in dark green...

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Even better in dark green...

Oh yeah...

otb 68 gto a.JPG

• Upvote 3

The '62-64 GPs are pretty sweet also..angular and clean lines..

sc0516-243367_2@2x.jpg

images-22.jpeg

Article-151-7b0b9e4d7bdd030edc91b75a869cf4f3.jpg

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

And this '61 Bonneville 2dr...love the roofline

015.jpg

Impala is gorgeous in that root line also.