Rivian - World's First Electric Adventure Vehicles

David

RIVIAN Electric Adventure Vehicles WebSite

This coming LA auto show we will be introduced to the world's first electric adventure vehicles. November 30th to December 9th at the LA Auto Show you will be able to see their Pickup Truck and SUV.  

The company's tagline is to explore the planet and charge deeper into the world farther and deeper than ever before by building electric vehicles that allow you to explore be it a big or small adventure.

RIVIAN electric adventure vehicles will reimagine the truck and SUV with offering the following:

• Up to a 400+ mile range per charge
  • Sub 3 seconds zero to 60
  • Superior capability on and off road

RIVIAN has engineered their skateboard platform to handle the city or the summit, rain or shine by leveraging the laws of physics. To quote their website, expect superior handling on anything you might call a road with their Dynamic Roll Control. Superior Air Suspension to assist with getting over, around under, etcl the obstacles in the road. Final part of this is the smooth, quiet, impeccable manners, on road and off of the pure electric propulsion system.

product-3_lg.png?v=2

image.png

RIVIAN secured funding and took over the former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, Illinois where full production of their truck and SUV will begin in 2019 and rolling off the assembly line for sale by 2020.

You can watch Bloomberg interview with the CEO and founder of RIVIAN here: RIVIAN CEO-Founder Interview

R.J. Scaringe, founder and ceo is focused on the auto industry and Tesla by offering a product that is not offered by any other company. The interview brings up how EV companies have come and go and asks why they think they will survive and succeed where others have not. Very good interview. I like him much better than Musk.

RIVIAN Truck Teaser

Rivian R1T

RIVIAN SUV image from the video

Rivian R1T

RIVIAN battery packs

image.png

Rivian is also looking at additional ways to use their technology outside the auto industry and has stated they will have some exciting announcements in the near future of where you can find RIVIAN products. Based on watching the videos and going over their news section off their website, I would not be surprised to see home battery backup systems tied to solar or wind as well as the CEO says use in consumer electronics.

The four arrows in their directional logo symbolize the values and behaviors that inform every decision they make. The two outer arrows express their mission to make the world a better place through innovation and adventure. The two inner arrows represent their core desire to be inspiring and inviting to all.

Quote: This is more than a logo - it's our promise to always point you in the right direction.

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that Rivian has it's first customer. Pininfarina is being reported by Autocar India as having purchased the rights and will use the Rivian Skareboard chassis to build their PF1 Luxury Performance SUV.

Pinifarina is building a PF0 hypercar using tech from Croatian EV maker Rimac. Now they will build their PF1 SUV based on the Rivian Skateboard with external and internal style by Pininfarina. Expected to launch in 2021, the PF1 will have 1,088 HP and is to compete against the Lamborghini Urus which arrives in 2020 with 650 HP.

Pininfarina PF1 will weight about 600 pounds more, but also have 538 more HP over the Urus.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/10/pininfarina-pf1-suv-rivian-ev-platform/

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Don't they need those platforms to, you know, build their own vehicle??

RJ made it very clear at the LA auto show that besides building their own auto's they would also be selling the rights to use the platform for auto development by others. This would save other companies the time to build a basic Skateboard and they can focus on just being a Coach builder. 

Reminds me of the early 1900's with all the various coach builders. 

Interesting Times we live in.

Amplifies my point about electrics sapping the soul of "auto's" (sic) by homogenization.  It's like NASCAR where the only thing different is the stickers on the body.  Although Pininfarina has always been a coachbuilder AFAIK and has lost a good bit of relevance over the years.

GM is always ahead of its time.. They introduced a skateboard chassis back in 2002 and people said it was an unrealistic future.. THE FUTURE IS LITERALLY NOW. BTW.. I remember reading an article on why the Volt is really dying.. it exclaims that the majority, by a huge margin, of owners of the Volt.. were constantly complaining that they were not using the gas in their vehicles at all.. some filled up when they got the car and two years had passed.. and the same gas was residing in the tank. And that is a car with a 40-53 mile range. The Bolt customer surveys showed that they were some of the happiest in the automotive purchasing world. Tesla, and now Rivian prove that the people want EVs. GM wold be a fool to not go in on this. I am also wondering, if the low maintenance costs of the Bolt was also a huge factor in them making the decision to start electrifying. Regular scheduled maintenance on this car is at 150K miles. Which suggests that dealer service reimbursements on warranty work is very LOW. Billions per year saved if that is in more vehicle. Again.. make me a Cadillac , with Cadillac style, on a chassis with 400 mile range and the performance of every damn "Hot EV" available.. and I'm good to go. I can fiddle around for the next 40 years on the plethora of used pre-EV cars available. I'm 3 years in come Feb '19 on my Vseries.. 650HP is great enough that I saw zero reason to mess with it. That and the fact that a non-warrantied grenaded engine is about $19K... Same for the Z06. Any Tunes I'd do at this point would be plugged in thru the OBDII port anyway

autonomy_skateboard.jpg2002-GM-AUTOnomy-Chassis-Experimental.jp

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

GM seems to have a history of coming out with advanced technology, with refining products, and then cancelling them before their time to shine in the market.   Plagued by short-term thinking? 

So much truth to this. Night vision is a GM thing.. They abandoned it due to lack of interest.. Then the Germans started using it.. possibly having to license it from GM if I remember correctly.. and now GM is back into it. Remember auto dimming High Beams?? GM.. back in the 50s. Always wondered why in my 80s and 90s cars they were not avail.. GM killed them.. then brought them back. Automatic Transmission, Onstar, Air Bags, Electric Starter, Catalytic Converter, Heads Up Display, Turning Headlights... the list is forever. THEY SUCK AT MARKETING THO.. and in those cases I bet that it was lawyers that told them not to trumpet their involvement in it in case any of those inventions went busto.

I think that GM is the first to create and use the REARVIEW CAMERA feature (pictured below from my CT6 review).. bet good money it becomes a trend. Although with Mary as CEO it will probably stay.. as she is an engineer by origin.

20181203_171357.jpg

Oh.. and the VOLT. First range extended vehicle for an EV. 

• Agree 1

Auto headlight dimming has never not been avail since it debuted in '52, but it was primarily a Cadillac feature, so it may have seemed otherwise.

GM used to market the new tech pointedly, they would run full page print ads for power steering  or Autronic Eye, etc. '90s and newer tho, I don't really see ANY brand marketing a singular feature like GM used to.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Auto headlight dimming has never not been avail since it debuted in '52, but it was primarily a Cadillac feature, so it may have seemed otherwise.

GM used to market the new tech pointedly, they would run full page print ads for power steering  or Autronic Eye, etc. '90s and newer tho, I don't really see ANY brand marketing a singular feature like GM used to.

Eh, even then, by the 90s if it was on a Cadillac it was on one model only.  I seem to remember a big stink being made about the final STS that it brought back the autotronic eye. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Didn't Buick have a slick wiper or defrosting windshield approach around 2000 that hasn't been seen in years? 

I thought that was the heated windshield fluid and wiper system.

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Didn't Buick have a slick wiper or defrosting windshield approach around 2000 that hasn't been seen in years? 

That was heated washer fluid. It was in the DTS and Lucern as an option. It was faulty and got recalled to be deactivated.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

LOL the 2019 Toyota RAV4 has a camera mirror.  GM innovates but then they actually do research and find out that there is no point.

Electrics are not an advance.  They are an inferior alternative.

GM, for it's GM Rear Camera Mirror,  were awarded 10 patents – one for the streaming video mirror and nine for video processing. The patents cover innovations in the wide field of view camera image calibration, de-warping, glare reduction and camera hardware design.

If Toyota has it in the Rav4.. they are paying for the tech from GM

Jalopnik

And JEeEZ.. I can't believe that anyone would become a GM hater because it decided to delve deeper into EV tech. U act as if they have stopped selling ICE vehicles already. Hell.. I'm ready to buy a CT6-V when it comes out and not as livid as U are

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

😂😂😂😂 @ocnblu for the down vote

If an effort were made to learn about electrics rather than act like a young girl with sand in her swimsuit I would feel more sympathy.

As it is...yes...GM is a huge innovator who can't market anything. 

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If an effort were made to learn about electrics rather than act like a young girl with sand in her swimsuit I would feel more sympathy.

As it is...yes...GM is a huge innovator who can't market anything. 

You think I don't know about them? 

1 minute ago, FAPTurbo said:

:[

No it's stupid things.  Not new things.  Electric cars are not new.  You must be new.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

LOL the 2019 Toyota RAV4 has a camera mirror.  GM innovates but then they actually do research and find out that there is no point.

GM routinely licenses out its technology.  They had camera mirrors, though not full-time real-time streaming, as far back as 2010. That is how the 2nd gen Equinox got a rearview camera if one didn't select NAV. The image popped up in the mirror. 

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You think I don't know about them? 

No it's stupid things.  Not new things.  Electric cars are not new.  You must be new.

Cars are not new... you must still drive a Curved Dash because if electric cars haven't changed in 100 years, neither have gasoline powered cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have to say that RJ has a great approval rating for CEO of a company and the company ranks very high for job satisfaction.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Rivian-EI_IE630579.11,17.htm

GM would do well to buy them out, use the platform for the new generation of full size Pickups and SUV.

Rate better than Tesla and surprised that Tesla is on par for employee and customer satisfaction with GM. 

Makes ya wanna go Hmmmmmmmm! 🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The price of all SIlverados would immediately double, which would probably cut sales by 2/3rds minimum, if not significantly more.
There's really no 'Hmmmmmm' here.

Sure there is, you keep producing what you have that is selling and add EV's for those of us willing to pay for it. I think they would sell plenty. Two identical looking trucks where you still have the grill on it but just no open slots for air flow and make that a huge frunk would rock! :metal:

• Haha 1

You said 'use it for the next generation F/S pickups & SUVs.' I read that as all of production, not a doubling of the truck/SUV product line.
Doesn't seem likely as a viable business case in that scenario, it basically would throw economies of scale right out the window.

Edited by balthazar

30 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You said 'use it for the next generation F/S pickups & SUVs.' I read that as all of production, not a doubling of the truck/SUV product line.
Doesn't seem likely as a viable business case in that scenario, it basically would throw economies of scale right out the window.

I would have to disagree my friend, Your going to refresh the product line, why not offer an EV version with that product line as a cross over for those that would rather pay a bit more but have an EV over ICE.

I believe there is a bigger market than many realize of people awaiting such a product.

I'm just reacting to your posts as written, you understand.
An EV version of a next gen platform is one thing. Buying Rivian and producing that alongside converntional IC trucks, when the 2 vehicles would share nothing, is what doesn't make sense to me. In other words, were GM to offer an EV version of a Silverado, they don't need Rivian to do so.

42 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm just reacting to your posts as written, you understand.
An EV version of a next gen platform is one thing. Buying Rivian and producing that alongside converntional IC trucks, when the 2 vehicles would share nothing, is what doesn't make sense to me. In other words, were GM to offer an EV version of a Silverado, they don't need Rivian to do so.

I understand and get the exact detail response you are pointing out. I am just thinking that while GM can offer an EV version of their Silverado or Sierra, I am wondering if the R&D plus time to develop and actually get it to market, might not be offset by just buying Rivian and going into production.

I really doubt that when GM does this that the under lying platform will have much in common other than the body and in cab space. Yet even that can be a big difference with just minor similarities to tie the two product lines together under the same family tent.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Do you ever wake from this dream state?  So far off kilter with this stuff.

Reality and the self are both illusions as in one sense also free will is. No one ever wakes up from the dream state.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Reality and the self are both illusions as in one sense also free will is. No one ever wakes up from the dream state.

The reality of the truth and the truth of the reality aren't always the same, as I like to say.

• Agree 2

Rivian looks to possibly beat Tesla at their own game primarily because Elon's ego isn't involved.  They're also starting in the hottest two segments, so if their tech proves to be worthy, they should get a better start than Tesla. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Rivian looks to possibly beat Tesla at their own game primarily because Elon's ego isn't involved.  They're also starting in the hottest two segments, so if their tech proves to be worthy, they should get a better start than Tesla. 

I certainly hope so. As an enthusiast I am ready for some really different product and direction.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I certainly hope so. As an enthusiast I am ready for some really different product and direction.

I totally agree especially when a company with rich heritage will not embrace it and build their awesome concepts like Cadillac. GM just seems to have not truly kicked off their 80's to early 2000's pre bankruptcy bad habits.

• Agree 1

Nobody builds their awesome concepts. We focus on GM obviously, but -for example- BMW has shown literally dozens of concepts in the last 20 years and has built none of them. Just saw a mazda 6 commercial where they showed some polished chromey concept sedan rounding a corner, then the show the pedestrian production 6. Some may point to Tesla, but be clear here; showing a pre-production car that doesn't do anything toward advancing the design/impact envelope is not the same thing as a true concept. Model 3, other than the Avanti-esque grilleless nose, is completely contemporary.

Sure, I would have LOVED for the Cadillac Sixteen to be produced, but I understand the role of concepts and I never expected it to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, dfelt said:

I totally agree especially when a company with rich heritage will not embrace it and build their awesome concepts like Cadillac. GM just seems to have not truly kicked off their 80's to early 2000's pre bankruptcy bad habits.

On this we finally disagree. I think GM is doing everything to be different than Pre-BK GM. Profit is necessary. They need to be as profitable as Toyota. Think about that tho. They have been pulling in profits on par with Toyota or better lately.. while still offering a super car beater CAMARO, CORVETTE, CTS-V, ATS-V.. also XTS-VSport.. Regal GS... Toyota's most performance oriented car is the Lexus LC and RC.. and really??? They are weak IMO

GM indulged a few projects that were absolutely money losers from the start. One that comes to mind is this. This concept and the production were almost spot on.. but it should have never been anything other than a concept. (Below)

chevrolet-ssr-photo-5300-s-original.jpg

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Sure, I would have LOVED for the Cadillac Sixteen to be produced, but I understand the role of concepts and I never expected it to be.

Even the Sixteen.. as much as I wanted them to build it.. was unrealistic for the time unless GM was focused on revamping the divisions to a point that Cadillac was a boutique brand like Rolls. To anyone.. Mercedes even currently as the top Luxo maker cannot pull off selling a $400K luxo car in decent quantities without calling it something else like Pullman or Maybach. Cadillac would have had to buy the rights to Dusenburg or something because no way that car would have been a viable answer to what would eventually be answered as a CT6-V. Again.. hoping they don't kill it.. because in reality...

in Platinum form the Cadillac CT6 3.0LTT spot on competition for the S 450 4matic

is a CT6 V-Sport.. is the spot on competition for the S 560 4matic

is a CT6 V is the spot on competition for the S63

The Ciel Convertible, El Miraj Coupe, and Escala Sedan are all realistic vehicles that have things that are or could easily be incorporated in a CT6 (or CT8) vehicle

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

GM indulged a few projects that were absolutely money losers from the start. One that comes to mind is this. This concept and the production were almost spot on.. but it should have never been anything other than a concept. (Below)

chevrolet-ssr-photo-5300-s-original.jpg

My friend, I will now have to disagree with you about this truck. It should have been built, but not with the Cheap ass corner cutting they did. Everyone who has driven the First year and up to the second to last year says WTF, Why a wimpy V8 motor? Why hard plastics when the concept did not have it.

Last year, GM finally gave it a decent interior material quality and put in the 6.0 V8 and they sold everyone they could. People who have driven the last year production with the 6.0 V8 said this is how it should have been from the start.

GM builds amazing concepts with a ton of potential and the few they did take to production, they then went cheap ass inside and out and made the production a fraction of what the concept auto was. 

People will spend money as you and I have on quality products, but build something that was an awesome concept and dumb it down like they did with this truck and sales will not happen on top of piss poor marketing.

[looks at internet info] - I see 1. the 6.0L was offered 2 years out of 4, not 1. 2. SSR ended because the Lansing Craft Center closed.

I dunno; Chevrolet builds a limited production, totally frivolous retro sport truck for 4 years, sells 24K+, and people think it should continue for 20 more years even tho 99% of those people never bought one to begin with. I think I got that straight there.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

[looks at internet info] - I see 1. the 6.0L was offered 2 years out of 4, not 1. 2. SSR ended because the Lansing Craft Center closed.

I dunno; Chevrolet builds a limited production, totally frivolous retro sport truck for 4 years, sells 24K+, and people think it should continue for 20 more years even tho 99% of those people never bought one to begin with. I think I got that straight there.

I cannot find it but the your right the last two years had the 6.0, but the average sit on the lot the first two years compared to the last two dropped big time when it was offered with a proper powerful motor.

This is no different than the GTO from Australia and how everyone agreed that the bigger motor they could have started with should have been there from the start for a better selling car.

Point I am making is GM tends to shoot themselves in the foot when they do try to do something special but taking away what makes it special and what would justify the high price.

Why are we revising history? Its good to REVISIT history, not so good to REVISE it…

The SSR was NOT a concept car that GM happened to produce for reals just because…to have a limited supply toy in their stable…

The SSR was indeed a car produced to replace the toy they already had in their stable called the Camaro they just killed off…

They did this car(truck) on the cheap, by using their GMT360 platform. You know…their midsized bread and butter SUV platform…Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada and when Oldsmobile died, the Rainier and SAAB X7 something or other…

In other words, GM wanted the SSR to be produced longer than the 3 years they actually did produce it for,,,

GM did in fact shoot themselves in the foot with the thing, as the high cost of engineering that trick hardtop convertible roof made the bean counters force the production version cheap on the inside. And because the SSR was the Camaro replacement, not directly but indirectly, through the backdoor of Chevy performance…remember the SSR stood for Super Sport Roadster…SUPER SPORT…as in SS, as in Impala SS, Camaro SS, Chevelle SS, Lumina SS (middle east), Cobalt SS, as in Chevrolet SS a decade later…

And the only reason why it looked retro was because retro was all the rage back then…as in PT Cruiser just before WW2 and right after WW2 car design/truck like retro looks. As in HHR as well…and I doi believe there was an HHR SS as well…

But let us be reals on this, the SSR was indeed a real effort to fill the Camaro void…and if Chevy offered 700 horses in the SSR back then, I do not think the interior would matter much and we wouldnt have a Camaro today, but we would continue to have SSRs. 1500 horsepower SSRs in 2 door hardtop configurations, convertibles both  of the soft and hard types, and 4 door AWD versions for soccer moms, Z-71 offroading versions, and quite possibly an electric version of it being engineered right now as we speak…And…Cadillac of course would have all those versions too.   Hey…700 horsepower in 2003!!!

And now lets talk about the Holden Monaro…aka Pontiac GTO.

Like the SSR at Chevy, the Monaro was made into a Pontiac to replace the Firebird. The other F-Body.

With the cost of reworking the gas tank and other minor yet costly things, and the cost of producing these cars in Australia and shipping them to the US, and by not even offering this car to be bought by Canadians…GM shot themselves in the foot by marketing BOTH F-Body replacements wrongly, offering a  miscalculating the public’s thirst for horsepower by offering inadequate drivetrains especially when these new car offerings were to fill a performance void left by the outgoing F-Bodies, over engineering  identities, and cheapening out the interior of what could have been a real cool concept car turned into a production car. The SSR was expensive as hell to buy. With an anemic 5.3 liter V8 trying to motivate a really really heavy car…

The GTO’s V8 was not so bad, but Pontiac faithful wanted a GTO that actually looked like a GTO, not a Cavalier, and essentially what a Monaro really was, it was just a heavily re-worked 2 door Catera/Omega/middleeastern Lumina and Caprice and because the Trans Am was no longer, at least GM could have given the GTO some more muscle to ease the pain from all that…because the Firebird (and Pontiac) faithful actually were quite savvy and privy to those facts.  I know I was. Its fair to say other Pontiac and Trans Am enthusiasts were also.

All those millions, possibly billions to re-engineer the GMT360, to over engineer its convertible top, to re-engineer the Holden gas tank, to re-style a Pontiac front end for it, and back end that says ‘GTO’, to flip the steering wheel for US consumption, to ship it to the other side of the world, it may have been cheaper just to create a new F-Body platform…

So yeah…let us not revise history, please!  (I do not know what the sales figures were for both dead on arrival vehicles were at the end of their production when finally GM gave them their proper motorvation, but it does not matter, it was a case of too little too late by then anyway.

The Pontiac Fiero falls into this same category…GM has a loooong history of this. Like DFELT has said…lost opportunities, wasted time and effort and most importantly, piss poor management, product planning, quality and marketing and eventually unmistakably, unavoidably shooting themselves in the foot with these 2 vehicles…

I just want to point out, that I think the SSR has been one of the coolest cars to come out of GM the last 30 years. The GTO too.   I totally would own a SSR. 5.3 liter or otherwise. I totally would own a GTO as well…

Another thing, we are so into not wanting EVs to succeed, we make up all kinds of storylines to adhere to our reluctance to see that EVs are a thing and here to stay and ICE vehicles lifespan is shorter than we think…

We invent all kinds of excuses yet we cannot see that the Tesla Model 3…car…outselling any other car of any kind in its price range…EV, PHEV or ICE, in a world of CUVs and SUVs…

Despite all that production hell Musk was talking about, people stuck around with it. More orders continue to pile up for it. Despite the fact that the US has $h!ty EV infrastructure. Despite the fact that the US population prefers CUVs and SUVs, and despite that those Model 3 sales are exclusively in Canada and in the US. Europe and China, I believe, has not yet been included for the sale and delivery of said Model 3…

The world is awaiting for the Model 3…To boot, the US and Canada are not the only markets whose populations prefer CUVs and SUVs. Around the globe, CUVs and SUVs are THE market…

The Bolt aint selling in Model 3 high numbers, NOT because the Bolt is a Chevrolet and NOT a Tesla, but the Bolt is NOT the right sized and/or right kind of EV car or the right type of EV…

Im not sure how pick-up truck drivers/owners view a Rivian pick-up truck, or how a Ford F-150/Ram/Silverado owner would react to an EV F-150/RAM/Silverado, but I sure as well DO know that an affordable RIGHT SIZED EV CUV/SUV that looks HALF AS GOOD as a Tesla Model S or Model 3 from ANY mainstream automaker, not only from Tesla, would sell. Sell a lot.

The Model 3 deliveries PROVE price may NOT be a factor either…as all these Model 3 deliveries are of the higher end versions…

The entry level Model 3 is STILL not available for purchase…

When that happens, many MORE people will opt for the Model 3…government discounts be damned…

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

On 12/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, balthazar said:

All I know is that I would totally rock one.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, riviera74 said:

According to Wikipedia, the SSR only sold about 24K vehicles the entire time it was available for sale (2003-06).

Alfa sold far fewer Montreal models and they are still fantastic. Would rock one of those also.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:19 PM, balthazar said:

How did the sales volume rebound when the 6.0L was offered?

Wait a week and C and G will be dropping an article about how GM is bringing it back as a full electric. They should sell millions.

• Haha 1