NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Oldsmobile Toronado Through The Years : 1966-1992

1 minute ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

I thought so when I saw it. 

If you Google "1981 Oldsmobile Toronado", my car shows up often.

• Upvote 3

I think the '80-'85 body style and the '90-'92 body style were the best ones.  I actually wasn't a fan of the original 1966 Toronado, I think it gets hyped because it was the first modern front driver, but I never found that car good looking, the Eldorado that followed a year later looked way better.

Too bad these cars didn't have "Rich Corinthian Leather"

On 11/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

If you Google "1981 Oldsmobile Toronado", my car shows up often.

I did just that!

And I was amazed believe it or not.  👍   

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The first generation would be my favorite. And especially 1966 &1967.  I actually prefer the Toronados over the Eldorados and Rivieras of those same years. 

The 2nd generation is totally forgettable. 

The 3rd generation is alright in my book.  Just alright.  I dont really get excited for all 3 of the brands on that platform.  I think the Riviera is the looker of the bunch. 

I started to love the 4rth generation a lot back in the day.  The 1990-1992 Trofeo would be a car I lusted after back then.  I liked the Riviera a lot too.  Not so much the Eldorado on this generation. 

Then the 1st generation Aurora came and I was an Oldsmobile guy forever! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

'80-'85 body style

You mean '79-'85?

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

The 'Corinthian' era was a joke. And you harp on it because it was a joke.

RE the first gen Toronado- I can't believe you believe this. Merceds in the same period couldn't even compete with Oldsmobile, nevermind Cadillac- they were still building stodgy tombstone-grilled sedans with outdated fins grafted on and no performance. The best they could offer stylistically was the archaic SL; 0-60 in 10 secs and and external gas filler neck sprouting from the rear panel like a sawed off sapling stump. They were still reverse-engineering A/C & high performance from General Motors cars then.

Toronado was an engineering, performance and design powerhouse, a permanent historical icon (and I'm not even an Olds guy/ never owned one).

My God, man :

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 10.01.19 PM.png

It isn't bad in any way, and it was a breakthrough in design and first front wheel drive, etc.  I get all that, I was just never a fan of the grill or the shape overall is similar to a Dodge or Mercury of that era, even if they copied Olds.

The Eldorado was a standout though, the Lincoln Sentinal concept in the 90s copied these taillights to look futuristic. 

1017.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

It isn't bad in any way, and it was a breakthrough in design and first front wheel drive, etc.  I get all that, I was just never a fan of the grill or the shape overall is similar to a Dodge or Mercury of that era, even if they copied Olds.

Yes, because who like a rectangular grille opening with thin horizontal vanes in it. {Shudder} 🙄

Although I would agree that the '67-70 Eldorado is easily in the top 10 of the most beautiful designed EVER penned, I'm disturbed you think a 1st gen Toronado has ANY similarity to anything else, nevermind a Mercury or Dodge. Youse on crack.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 2.23.17 PM.png

Never been anything remotely like it.... EXCEPT the 1st gen Aurora. And that's still a pale shadow of this car.

05b7906c735476b67b1d49b34079f655.jpg

• Upvote 3

Just now, balthazar said:

Yes, because who like a rectangular grille opening with thin horizontal vanes in it. {Shudder} 🙄

Although I would agree that the '67-70 Eldorado is easily in the top 10 of the most beautiful designed EVER penned, I'm disturbed you think a 1st gen Toronado has ANY similarity to anything else, nevermind a Mercury or Dodge. Youse on crack.

I see no resemblance between the 1st gen Toronado and any Mercury or Dodge either.    However, the grille and hidden headlights of the '86-89 Toronado slightly reminds me of the '67-68 Cougar. 

Posted (edited)

GM really was at the top of their styling game in the mid 60s, IMO...some incredibly great styling across all the brands...Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado, Grand Prix, Corvette, Impala, etc.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Never been anything remotely like it.... EXCEPT the 1st gen Aurora. And that's still a pale shadow of this car.

05b7906c735476b67b1d49b34079f655.jpg

That is pure Sex on Rubber! OMG, I would love a modern EV of this car.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is pure Sex on Rubber! OMG, I would love a modern EV of this car.

The use of Sex, Rubber, and OMG is perhaps a bit over the top...just kidding...Gas or Electric it is wonderful.

59 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I see no resemblance between the 1st gen Toronado and any Mercury or Dodge either.    However, the grille and hidden headlights of the '86-89 Toronado slightly reminds me of the '67-68 Cougar. 

That whole era of Hidden headlight cars is wonderful.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

I would love a modern EV of this car.

So alien to all that is right and holy.  HERESY

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So alien to all that is right and holy.  HERESY

Be careful Blu.  Electricity IS his Holiness...

Its actually a heresy to think on the contrary...

Related image

• Haha 2

A Montreal connection that I just just stumbled across.

• Like 1