Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Rivian R1T Pickup Has A 400 Mile Range and Tows Up To 11,000 Pounds: Comments

@ccap41 Rihanna is 5'8" So based on this picture at the Nov 26th reveal of the truck that she attended, he is right around 6' tall

RJ Scaringe Photos - 4 of 5

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/RJ+Scaringe/Rivian+Unveils+First+Ever+Electric+Adventure/VyhC3NG6EI7

img--product-feature-carousel-suv-large-

img--product-feature-carousel-suv-large-

img--car-left-facing-suv.png

img--car-side-view-suv.png

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Oh dang, the plant is only about 2hrs from me. 

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180518/ISSUE01/180519884/rivian-ceo-scaringe-plans-to-build-electric-cars-in-normal

He's also super young.. 35 years old. 

Yup, super smart guy, clearly all about roomy performance SUV / Trucks based on my reading today. This guy so rocks more than Musk. I am really excited.

See they have the preorder page up, Starting price is $65,000 after Federal rebate. So in essence, $72,500 is starting price and the preorder page says the top performance and largest battery pack models will be built first. Then the base model available starting 12 months later or in 2021 available for sale. 

If RJ can hit his projections and right now I see no reason not too, this will hurt the Detroit OEM and Tesla. GM I believe can handle this but Ford and FCA I am not sure they can handle a strong driven, focused, educated man like RJ that has done his homework on building a better Truck and SUV. I will say that this will put both Asian and German auto companies on alert to move their ass in building EV auto's.

$1,000 down is all for a preorder of the SUV or Truck.

https://preorders.rivian.com/2322956400/checkouts/400a67d6ffcc711a452e2d3fbd79251f

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Hmm...3450mm wheelbase..I wonder if that is a typo..that would be 135 inches...rather long.

Yea, I am thinking that is a mistake as the Escalade is only 116" wheelbase and ESV is only 130" wheelbase. The doors do look long and if it is correct that should just glide over the road soaking up bumps.

I think I saw the truck's wheelbase was 123 or 125, and the SUV's being shorter..I'm guessing 115-118.    I don't like the vertical elements in the front lighting---maybe without those and smaller lights below the light strip, and perhaps a faux grille would look better.   The blank grille-less face of some EVs (Teslas) is unappealing, IMO.   Going to be interesting to see how the production versions of both look. 

Edited by Robert Hall

7 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Likewise, I wonder if they will really get this off the ground.  The concept and what it delivers looks great.  Makes you wonder why one of the big guys isn't working on something like this.  Where is Toyota with an EV truck?  

Why would a company like Toyota waste their money on such crapola as this?  Especially when the potential for willing buyers is slim to none?

Edited by ocnblu
  • Disagree 3

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Why would a company like Toyota waste their money on such crapola as this?  Especially when the potential for willing buyers is slim to none?

You always have to drop in and piss on any forward-looking topic w/ your black cloud of negativity, don't you?   

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Because Toyota was the pioneer for hybrids and their marketing was all about it.  They should be moving to EV's and their Tundra has crap sales, because it has a V8 from 2007 that is super thirsty and not all that powerful.   Plus the whole truck is dated.  A 100% new pickup like this, with Toyotas billions of dollars behind it could really be a winner in the market.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

You always have to drop in and piss on any forward-looking topic w/ your black cloud of negativity, don't you?   

I am just being real.  There has been no ramp-up in demand for this pipe dream.  When the dream is shared among 2% of the overall market, that is a weak leg to stand on to go all in.

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I am surprised we haven't seen a solid EV push from Toyota yet.  Even Nissan is further along in the market. 

Why surprised?  Do you not think they've done research?

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I am just being real.  There has been no ramp-up in demand for this pipe dream.  When the dream is shared among 2% of the overall market, that is a weak leg to stand on to go all in.

Why surprised?  Do you not think they've done research?

Toyota has admitted they felt Hydrogen was the way to go and ignored electric, Tesla forced them to stop wasting money on Hydrogen and build a late to the party EV team. They are looking at 2025 for full blown EV offerings.

Myself and many others have stated when the right options come along people will buy and everyone according to you is afraid of making money on EVs. Yet those that do will surpass and replace those that do not. 

Rivian has full size Pickup and SUV and that WILL APPEAL to the masses more than Tesla.

This is one company that I do expect to stick around and last.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Love this video of  the R1T capable testing in Arizona.

https://videos.rivian.com/2md5qhoeajym/1cTeiGCtQ7DtENzy5x8tNL/cc25a561ebfbd61a64582826f60f2a9b/Rivian_Peru_LWU_200803_DIGICOM_H264_100MB.mp4 

Very cool looking show that will cover the trip from South America to North America in the R1T.

Here is Shaq getting into the R1T, big Big BIG Boy and he Fits!

I got a response from Rivian on interior spec's that they have not listed yet on the web site. To quote the email.

As far as interior dimensions, I've listed any available specs below; however, want to emphasize that this will not fully paint the picture as there are multiple factors that will play into the overall comfort.

From personal experience (I'm around 6'1), the R1T is extremely comfortable for me! Also, for what it's worth, our friend Shaquille O'neal thinks so as well :) https://www.instagram.com/shaq/p/ByZMGjsFRkO/

Interior Specs:

Effective Head Room- 41 inches

Effective Leg Room- 42 inches

Hip room- 55 inches

We'll be sure to let you know when we can get you behind the wheel!

Take care,

Kevin

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Huh. Despite having fully 20" more wheelbase and being an EV, the R1T is WAY down on interior dimensions vs. a '20 Tahoe;

2" LESS head room

3.3" LESS leg room

6" LESS hip room

What's the excuse there, I wonder?

Agree, I have to wonder myself about that and if the email response I got is estimated by the guy since nothing has been posted on the web site as official numbers.

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

Huh. Despite having fully 20" more wheelbase and being an EV, the R1T is WAY down on interior dimensions vs. a '20 Tahoe;

2" LESS head room

3.3" LESS leg room

6" LESS hip room

What's the excuse there, I wonder?

What does wheelbase have to do with headroom or hip room? A 2020 CT6 has 6" more wheelbase than a Tahoe and has less headroom and hip room too. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

What does wheelbase have to do with headroom or hip room? A 2020 CT6 has 6" more wheelbase than a Tahoe and has less headroom and hip room too. 

Nothing... and he compared the truck version wheelbase w an SUV..invalid comparison.  The R1S has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Tahoe, 2 inches longer than the Durango.  

• Wheelbase doesn't determine head or hip room, but it certainly has everything to do with leg room. I included the other stats since we were talking about front seat room/fitting in general.
I also found it interesting given the common claim that EV powertrains should provide 'much more' interior room. There; that logically could go to head room too, but perhaps that's conjecture.

• Hip room is the #1 issue with vehicles IMO, and that's purely an engineering/planning decision. 55" is nothing to brag about, and since they were starting from scratch, it would've been nice to see something closer to 58-60" there. Tahoe was just engineered as a full-size SUV, and anyone considering a move to a Rivian would definitely notice the much tighter interior.

I may be spoiled; working on a car with 66" of front hip room and driving a truck with 61" of hip room (despite having a console taking up from that number).

• Pickup vs. SUV is completely valid when talking about front seat dimensions. Front seat in either doesn't care if the bed out back is covered or not.

Any modern manufacturing efficiency would utilize as much shared components as possible- I expect most of the front cabin of the R1T and R1S to interchange, or at least be dimensionally identical. No reason to start from scratch on that.

Edited by balthazar

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Rivian R1S SUV outside dimensions are very similar to the Durango.  Probably a better size comparison than the Tahoe. 

Rivian is 2 or 3 price tiers above a Durango; I don't see them being cross-shopped. But comparing interiors is logical.
I was figuring a Tahoe owner (starts at $50K) is far more likely in the market for a Rivian ($70K) than a Durango owner (starts at $30K).

Edited by balthazar

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Rivian is 2 or 3 price tiers above a Durango; I don't see them being cross-shopped. But comparing interiors is logical.
I was figuring a Tahoe owner (starts at $50K) is far more likely in the market for a Rivian ($70K) than a Durango owner (starts at $30K).

I didn’t say anything about price, not a factor.  I was comparing dimensions.   Seems like Rivian is more like a 3 row midsize SUV than a full size. No one is going to cross shop a Rivian with a Tahoe either.  An EV customer wouldn’t be considering ICE products. 

Edited by Robert Hall

That wasn't the point- there ARE Tahoe owners, there are no Rivian owners. Rivian needs SUV buyers to switch to the new nameplate, and the segment leader in full-size SUVs is basically the Tahoe, and the two are only 5 inches apart in length, but there's a significant room penalty in the R1S.
'20 Tahoe Premier starts at $63K, so close to the supposed R1S price.

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That wasn't the point- there ARE Tahoe owners, there are no Rivian owners. Rivian needs SUV buyers to switch to the new nameplate, and the segment leader in full-size SUVs is basically the Tahoe, and the two are only 5 inches apart in length, but there's a significant room penalty in the R1S.
'20 Tahoe Premier starts at $63K, so close to the supposed R1S price.

Length is meaningless since it includes overhangs,  it's the interior space within the wheelbase that really matters..the Rivian has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Tahoe.   But is smaller inside, it sounds like.

Edited by Robert Hall

^ That's a step backward in packaging efficiency.
But overall length isn't irrelevant- to the largest degree it determines interior space. Can't get Excursion interior space in an Escape.

If manufacturers are optimizing packaging efficiency, Rivian should at least have close to 5" more legroom (total), instead of 3+ inches less.

Edited by balthazar

Just now, balthazar said:

^ That's a step backward in packaging efficiency.
But overall length isn't irrelevant- to the largest degree it determines interior space. Can't get Excursion interior space in an Escape.

Overall length only affects the rear cargo area.  Wheelbase is more important for interior space and how the interior is situated within the wheelbase. 

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wheelbase is the prime factor. Which is why it's so puzzling the R1S has so much less.

I haven't seen any cutaway pics of the Rivian, but I wonder how much height does the skateboard/battery pack take up of the floor?   I wonder how the floor to roof distance compares to a BOF design like the Tahoe or a unibody like the Durango...  

Edit--found a cutaway pic of the R1S..looks like it has a flat floor.

how-does-the-rivian--4_1600x0w.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall