First Impressions: 2020 Toyota Corolla: Comments

Drew Dowdell

Just now, frogger said:

I think the CH-R is subcompact, anyways I guess it won't fly because the RAV4 is actually 2 inches shorter in length than the Corolla sedan. 

Yeah, they have enough small crossovers already...

They are better off re-newing the Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra and Sequioa. Land Cruiser which are all really dated.  They have CH-R, Rav4 and Highlander that are fairly fresh.  A Prius derived crossover could work plus they have an all wheel drive minivan.  There isn't really a shortage of truck, van, SUV type vehicles at Toyota, some are just dated.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, regfootball said:

Hyundai Sonata level 2 (SEL) and level 3 (Sport) trim has ----heated---- leather wrap wheel standard.  SE trim is comparable to Chevy LS trim.  Neither the SE or LS do, and that makes sense.  When the competition starts to outspec you, and sell at equal or lower prices (with longer warranties in this case as well), it is easy to see why GM loses market share.  Their management doesn't want to address it, they just choose to jack up MSRP's or close plants.  The Sonata has blind spot and cross path standard on all trims.  Again, GM, even on Cadillacs, makes you get expensive pacakges or trims to get what lowly Hyundai gives you standard.  Auto high beams is a feature everyone should have in their standard list for most trims by now too.

It makes more sense to include the stuff for customers and those who don't want it can simply not use it.  But if buyers see it as a feature to look for when buying new, they will make decisions based on it.

I don't know where GM package planners' heads are these days, but it isn't in a good place. 

I'm an old-time GM guy and I have a hard time seeing the value in GM offerings these days

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They are better off re-newing the Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra and Sequioa. Land Cruiser which are all really dated.  They have CH-R, Rav4 and Highlander that are fairly fresh.  A Prius derived crossover could work plus they have an all wheel drive minivan.  There isn't really a shortage of truck, van, SUV type vehicles at Toyota, some are just dated.

They just did the Tacoma. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They just did the Tacoma. 

Right, I didn't think it was on sale yet but maybe it is.  The 4Runner is still old but I am sure the new one is coming in 2020.  Toyota needs new engines still, they still use that 3.5 liter V6 that is about 12 years old at this point, and makes 4 cylinder power with V8 fuel economy.

Still that previous Gen Tacoma was around for too long without any update because there was no other competition other than a Frontier that is even more dated.