Jump to content
William Maley

Industry News: Volkswagen Could Use Ford's Plants in the U.S. To Build Vehicles

Recommended Posts

Back in June, Ford and Volkswagen signed a Memorandum of Understanding for a new alliance that would focus on commercial vehicles. Since then, the two companies have been in discussions about it and there have been various rumors flying about. Yesterday, Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess added some more fuel to the fire.

Speaking to reporters outside of the White House, Diess revealed that the German automaker is interested in using Ford's plants in the U.S. to build vehicles.

"We might use Ford capacity here in the U.S. to build cars for us," said Diess.

“We need additional capacity here in the United States, we need an additional car plant for VW and Audi combined.”

The company is in "quite advanced negotiations in Tennessee" about a new plant in the state - Volkswagen operates one in Chattanooga for the Passat and Atlas. But Diess did say "there might be other options as well," most likely talking about using some of Ford's plants in the U.S.

For now, this is an idea being floating out there. The two are continuing their talks about what this alliance will look like. Diess said more details would come out in January.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes total sense as it would also help Ford out with under utilized manufacturing and could reduce the estimated 25,000 layoffs that the financial world says is coming with Fords $11 Billion restructuring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The layoffs will still happen, especially if Ford sells the plants to VW/Audi. This may well be more about cutting costs in Germany than just having vehicle capacity in the USA.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

This may well be more about cutting costs in Germany than just having vehicle capacity in the USA.

VW needs to have saleable product to need Fords production capacity. Subaru took over the market for funky cars  for hipsterish people over a decade ago and never looked back. Golf sells in Tiny numbers here, huge in Europe. VW already has Puebla and Chattanooga. Their chance of needing more production capacity is dismal.

Outside of a very few vehicles, very little is built in Germany for the US market IIRC,

49 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

The layoffs will still happen,

UAW is going to soon equal Unknown Auto Workers.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Makes total sense as it would also help Ford out with under utilized manufacturing and could reduce the estimated 25,000 layoffs that the financial world says is coming with Fords $11 Billion restructuring.

More layoffs will follow.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this union remind anyone else of the union Between Sears and K-mart.,..two companies in trouble that ended up feeding off of each others misery?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Does this union remind anyone else of the union Between Sears and K-mart.,..two companies in trouble that ended up feeding off of each others misery?

No. Sears and K-Mart actually merged to become a single company. 

This is actually a smart move by VW and it works out for Ford.  It's a way to get around Trump Tariffs while also not committing billions to build another plant in the US. Ford gets some financial relief from the burden of running these plants.  I actually expect these types of arrangements to become more common. 

Purely a speculative example based on no evidence, but Benz could contract with GM to build E-Classes in Hamtramck to get around the tariff. Or BMW using Lordstown to build 3-series.  It would help both companies involved. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No. Sears and K-Mart actually merged to become a single company. 

This is actually a smart move by VW and it works out for Ford.  It's a way to get around Trump Tariffs while also not committing billions to build another plant in the US. Ford gets some financial relief from the burden of running these plants.  I actually expect these types of arrangements to become more common. 

Purely a speculative example based on no evidence, but Benz could contract with GM to build E-Classes in Hamtramck to get around the tariff. Or BMW using Lordstown to build 3-series.  It would help both companies involved. 

Tesla should do this. GM knows much more about building cars than Tesla.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Tesla should do this. GM knows much more about building cars than Tesla.

Tesla sorta did.  Their plant in California is the old Toyota-GM joint site called NUMMI and Telsa got (some) advice from Toyota on building electric cars. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Tesla sorta did.  Their plant in California is the old Toyota-GM joint site called NUMMI and Telsa got (some) advice from Toyota on building electric cars. 

I know about that....was thinking that a Tesla-GM indirect partnership might pay off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

I know about that....was thinking that a Tesla-GM indirect partnership might pay off.

If it's only for a plant for production, yeah. If it's anything more, there's nothing in it for GM. Tesla's patents are all public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ccap41 said:

If it's only for a plant for production, yeah. If it's anything more, there's nothing in it for GM. Tesla's patents are all public. 

If it kept the lights on at Hamtramck, GM might also be able to build something else there profitably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Tesla sorta did.  Their plant in California is the old Toyota-GM joint site called NUMMI and Telsa got (some) advice from Toyota on building electric cars. 

Clearly Musk did not listen as he still wanted to roboticize in a way not done by the OEMs. That really seems to have mucked him up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If it kept the lights on at Hamtramck, GM might also be able to build something else there profitably. 

I'm all for keeping jobs around so if the theoretical "merger" were a thing, it would be great. Hopefully Tesla could take a few more notes on how to assemble vehicles before GM leaves them with the keys to the building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ccap41 said:

I'm all for keeping jobs around so if the theoretical "merger" were a thing, it would be great. Hopefully Tesla could take a few more notes on how to assemble vehicles before GM leaves them with the keys to the building. 

I think you're confusing merger with a partnership.  Ford and VW would still be independent of each other, they would just share a workspace for assembling vehicles.  Like how Toyota and GM did with NUMMI (Corolla/Prism/Matrix/Vibe).  And Subaru and Toyota at Lafayette (Legacy / Camry)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think you're confusing merger with a partnership.  Ford and VW would still be independent of each other, they would just share a workspace for assembling vehicles.  Like how Toyota and GM did with NUMMI (Corolla/Prism/Matrix/Vibe).  And Subaru and Toyota at Lafayette (Legacy / Camry)

Yes! I just couldn't think of the word, LOL 🤦🏼‍♂️. That's why I quoted it because I knew it wouldn't be a merger(in theory). 

Edited by ccap41
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If it kept the lights on at Hamtramck, GM might also be able to build something else there profitably. 

Exactly. And it might keep Tesla profitable...they seem to have a lot of production issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly. And it might keep Tesla profitable...they seem to have a lot of production issues.

But ya know Musk is the smartest person in the room and it would be a cold day in hell before he would snuggle up to Barra to have a joint manufacturing where they actually built a consistent auto and quickly off the assembly line.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But ya know Musk is the smartest person in the room and it would be a cold day in hell before he would snuggle up to Barra to have a joint manufacturing where they actually built a consistent auto and quickly off the assembly line.

A legend in his own mind, yes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 72 Guests (See full list)



  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      China has announced today that it would be reducing tariffs on U.S.-built cars and car parts from 40 to 15 percent beginning on January 1st. This reduction will last for three months as the U.S. and China begin hashing out a new trade deal. We first reported the reduction of the tariffs earlier this week.
      China's Ministry of Finance posted on their website said it hopes the talks between the two can go quickly and remove "all additional tariffs on each other’s goods" that were brought forth before the current trade-war.
      “China just announced that their economy is growing much slower than anticipated because of our Trade War with them. They have just suspended U.S. Tariff Hikes. U.S. is doing very well. China wants to make a big and very comprehensive deal. It could happen, and rather soon!” President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter in response to the announcement.
      China raised the tariffs on U.S.-built vehicles and parts back in July in response to the U.S. raised tariffs on Chinese-built vehicles and parts to 27.5 percent. The move caused a number of headaches for automakers which had to increase prices on models sold in China or change up various plans. Various automakers and groups welcomed the news.
      At the moment, the U.S. hasn't announced any plans to reduce the 27.5 percent tariff on Chinese-built vehicles and parts.
      Source: Associated Press, Reuters

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      China has announced today that it would be reducing tariffs on U.S.-built cars and car parts from 40 to 15 percent beginning on January 1st. This reduction will last for three months as the U.S. and China begin hashing out a new trade deal. We first reported the reduction of the tariffs earlier this week.
      China's Ministry of Finance posted on their website said it hopes the talks between the two can go quickly and remove "all additional tariffs on each other’s goods" that were brought forth before the current trade-war.
      “China just announced that their economy is growing much slower than anticipated because of our Trade War with them. They have just suspended U.S. Tariff Hikes. U.S. is doing very well. China wants to make a big and very comprehensive deal. It could happen, and rather soon!” President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter in response to the announcement.
      China raised the tariffs on U.S.-built vehicles and parts back in July in response to the U.S. raised tariffs on Chinese-built vehicles and parts to 27.5 percent. The move caused a number of headaches for automakers which had to increase prices on models sold in China or change up various plans. Various automakers and groups welcomed the news.
      At the moment, the U.S. hasn't announced any plans to reduce the 27.5 percent tariff on Chinese-built vehicles and parts.
      Source: Associated Press, Reuters
    • By Drew Dowdell
      When the Ford Ranger returns to the US market in a few weeks, the EPA window sticker will be a primary strong selling point.  The EPA estimates for the Ranger have been announced and it beats any other gasoline powered pickup on the market. The two-wheel drive Ranger will have a 21mpg city / 26 highway / 23 combined rating.  That combined rating ties the combined rating of the diesel-powered Chevy Colorado. The 4wd model gets a 20 city / 24 highway / 22 combined rating of which the city and combined rating are the highest in the class.  The Ranger starts around $25,395 and offers only one engine, a 2.3 liter 4-cylinder, that will tow and haul more than the V6 offerings from Nissan, Toyota, and Ford.
      The U.S. mid-size truck market is heating up with Ranger as just the newest entry in the mix.  The 2020 Jeep Gladiator will be arriving next year but has not yet been rated by the EPA. 

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      When the Ford Ranger returns to the US market in a few weeks, the EPA window sticker will be a primary strong selling point.  The EPA estimates for the Ranger have been announced and it beats any other gasoline powered pickup on the market. The two-wheel drive Ranger will have a 21mpg city / 26 highway / 23 combined rating.  That combined rating ties the combined rating of the diesel-powered Chevy Colorado. The 4wd model gets a 20 city / 24 highway / 22 combined rating of which the city and combined rating are the highest in the class.  The Ranger starts around $25,395 and offers only one engine, a 2.3 liter 4-cylinder, that will tow and haul more than the V6 offerings from Nissan, Toyota, and Ford.
      The U.S. mid-size truck market is heating up with Ranger as just the newest entry in the mix.  The 2020 Jeep Gladiator will be arriving next year but has not yet been rated by the EPA. 
    • By William Maley
      Acura's crossover lineup has been a bright spot for the Japanese automaker. For example, the redesigned RDX has been setting monthly sales records for sixth straight months since being launched in June. According to Automotive News, deliveries of the RDX "are outpacing 2017 by 22 percent." A fair number of automakers would take this as a sign to continue building out their crossover lineup. But Acura will instead focus on their car lineup.
      "We don't know what's going to happen in the future. What's critical is that we stay disciplined and balanced. [We'll] do our best to hit home runs with our sedans also," said Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda.
      Acura wants to emulate the success of the RDX onto their sedans. That means bringing a more aggressive design and adding more performance to their three sedans - the ILX, TLX, and RLX.
      But what about the CDX?!
      For a time, we have been hearing murmurs about Acura possibly bringing over the CDX from China. The CDX shares the same platform as the Honda HR-V, but features an extroverted design.  But an Acura spokesman tells Automotive News that the RDX "can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×