William Maley

VW News: Volkswagen's Next-Generation of Internal Combustion Engines Will Be Its Last

Volkswagen has announced their next-generation of gas and diesel engines, launching in 2026 will be its last.

“Our colleagues are working on the last platform for vehicles that aren’t CO2 neutral. We’re gradually fading out combustion engines to the absolute minimum,” said Michael Jost, strategy chief for Volkswagen.

The German automaker has set aside $50 billion over the next five years to begin transforming itself into an electric car builder. The first rollout is beginning very soon with the Audi e-tron SUV and Porsche Taycan. By 2030, Volkswagen is planning to have more than 300 electric versions of cars, vans, trucks, and motorbikes.

But the fading out of gas and diesel engines isn't going to be a quick thing. Jost said that Volkswagen would continue to "modify its combustion engine technology," in the coming years after the new platform for "vehicles that aren’t CO2 neutral". After 2050, Volkswagen may still be offering some gas and diesel models in places "where there is insufficient charging infrastructure."

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

I will believe it when I see it. I am a fan of the electric car, but Internal combustion is going nowhere any time soon.

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I will believe it when I see it. I am a fan of the electric car, but Internal combustion is going nowhere any time soon.

Keep in mind that the next generation of IC engines will probably be built for at least a decade or more.  They'll get upgrades in that time period, but the basic architecture could live for 15 years.

And then consider that the engines they are planning aren't even here yet and won't be for another 2 years at least.

2001 was a long time ago. Cadillac was still building the Catera. There was still a final refresh of Cavalier yet to come.  Pontiac had a full lineup and 7 years of life left.  Oldsmobile was still in production with 5 models. It was the last year for Plymouth. It was the first year for CheersandGears.com

A lot can change in 17 years. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Keep in mind that the next generation of IC engines will probably be built for at least a decade or more.  They'll get upgrades in that time period, but the basic architecture could live for 15 years.

And then consider that the engines they are planning aren't even here yet and won't be for another 2 years at least.

2001 was a long time ago. Cadillac was still building the Catera. There was still a final refresh of Cavalier yet to come.  Pontiac had a full lineup and 7 years of life left.  Oldsmobile was still in production with 5 models. It was the last year for Plymouth. It was the first year for CheersandGears.com

A lot can change in 17 years. 

I stand by my original quote. I don't see us being entirely electric by say 2035. On our way...but nowhere near completely there.

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I forget which Volkswagen engine it is, but it is based on an architecture from the early 1970s

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

I stand by my original quote. I don't see us being entirely electric by say 2035. On our way...but nowhere near completely there.

I see the majority of newly introduced vehicles being electric by then.  But yes, there still might be Jetta "Classics" on the lot with a circa 2021 design gas-burner in them. 

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I see the majority of newly introduced vehicles being electric by then.  But yes, there still might be Jetta "Classics" on the lot with a circa 2021 design gas-burner in them. 

I really hope you are right.

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It will take 100 years for no ICE on the roads except in collectors hands and that is only if the planet figures out how to build electrical grids in 3rd world countries that are not destroyed by terrorists. By 2050 I expect most 1st world countries will have moved over to electric cars with old ICE collector auto's still out and about.

Course the sooner I can covert myself the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

until i see lots happening in building convenient and fast charging networks, this is great PR.

• Upvote 1

"Great" should be in quotation marks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Acura's crossover lineup has been a bright spot for the Japanese automaker. For example, the redesigned RDX has been setting monthly sales records for sixth straight months since being launched in June. According to Automotive News, deliveries of the RDX "are outpacing 2017 by 22 percent." A fair number of automakers would take this as a sign to continue building out their crossover lineup. But Acura will instead focus on their car lineup.
      "We don't know what's going to happen in the future. What's critical is that we stay disciplined and balanced. [We'll] do our best to hit home runs with our sedans also," said Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda.
      Acura wants to emulate the success of the RDX onto their sedans. That means bringing a more aggressive design and adding more performance to their three sedans - the ILX, TLX, and RLX.
      But what about the CDX?!
      For a time, we have been hearing murmurs about Acura possibly bringing over the CDX from China. The CDX shares the same platform as the Honda HR-V, but features an extroverted design.  But an Acura spokesman tells Automotive News that the RDX "can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Acura's crossover lineup has been a bright spot for the Japanese automaker. For example, the redesigned RDX has been setting monthly sales records for sixth straight months since being launched in June. According to Automotive News, deliveries of the RDX "are outpacing 2017 by 22 percent." A fair number of automakers would take this as a sign to continue building out their crossover lineup. But Acura will instead focus on their car lineup.
      "We don't know what's going to happen in the future. What's critical is that we stay disciplined and balanced. [We'll] do our best to hit home runs with our sedans also," said Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda.
      Acura wants to emulate the success of the RDX onto their sedans. That means bringing a more aggressive design and adding more performance to their three sedans - the ILX, TLX, and RLX.
      But what about the CDX?!
      For a time, we have been hearing murmurs about Acura possibly bringing over the CDX from China. The CDX shares the same platform as the Honda HR-V, but features an extroverted design.  But an Acura spokesman tells Automotive News that the RDX "can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has released some sketches of the upcoming 2020 Passat that will be debuting next month at the Detroit Auto Show. It is clear that the automaker is addressing one of the biggest complaints about the current model, the boring exterior. Volkswagen is taking some ideas from the smaller Jetta with a larger, upright grille; creasing along the side, and new trunk lid design. Aside from the roof, Volkswagen says all of the body panels are new or modified.
      According to media who got the chance to see the car in person during a preview event, the 2020 Passat's interior features a new center stack with an updated infotainment system. Overall interior space is still expansive.
      We were hoping that the next Passat would transition over to the MQB platform, but the model will remain on the PQ46 platform that underpins the current model. Why is that?
      “This segment is shrinking, and we figured that we can give the customers all they need with the current platform instead of spending to switch to a new one,” said Kai Oltmanns, product manager for the Passat to Motor1.
      Automotive News reports that the 2020 Passat will retain the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and six-speed automatic.
      Pricing for the 2020 Passat will be announced near to its release date, expected to sometime next summer.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Motor1, Volkswagen

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has released some sketches of the upcoming 2020 Passat that will be debuting next month at the Detroit Auto Show. It is clear that the automaker is addressing one of the biggest complaints about the current model, the boring exterior. Volkswagen is taking some ideas from the smaller Jetta with a larger, upright grille; creasing along the side, and new trunk lid design. Aside from the roof, Volkswagen says all of the body panels are new or modified.
      According to media who got the chance to see the car in person during a preview event, the 2020 Passat's interior features a new center stack with an updated infotainment system. Overall interior space is still expansive.
      We were hoping that the next Passat would transition over to the MQB platform, but the model will remain on the PQ46 platform that underpins the current model. Why is that?
      “This segment is shrinking, and we figured that we can give the customers all they need with the current platform instead of spending to switch to a new one,” said Kai Oltmanns, product manager for the Passat to Motor1.
      Automotive News reports that the 2020 Passat will retain the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and six-speed automatic.
      Pricing for the 2020 Passat will be announced near to its release date, expected to sometime next summer.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Motor1, Volkswagen
    • By William Maley
      If you were hoping that Chevrolet would bring the house down next month with the debut of the mid-engine Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show, we have some bad news for you.
      GM Authority has learned from GM that Chevrolet isn't planning to show anything car or crossover related at the show. Motor Authority was able to confirm this report by speaking to sources who know GM's plans for future vehicles. It is expected that the Cadillac XT6 crossover will debut at the show.
      Rumor has it that GM could debut the mid-engine Corvette at the New York Auto Show - the original 1953 Corvette debuted at the Motorama event that year in New York - or hold its own event to have the media focus on the new model and nothing else. The latter option seems the most likely to us.
      We'll keep you posted if anything changes.
      Source: GM Authority, Motor Authority

View full article
  • My Clubs