1967 All New Mustang, AWD EV

Avair Motors out of Russia has announced plans of going into production first generation Ford Mustang reproductions that are 21st century updated. These all-electric power train muscle cars will have a base of 840 HP / 700 lb-ft of torque.

These cars will use an aluminum chassis with carbon fiber bodywork modeled after the 1967 fastback. Two electric motors will power the AWD R67 mustang, a motor at each axle. The R67 is stated to go 0 to 62 in 2.2 seconds with a top speed limited at 155 mph. Driving range is a 315 miles on a charge from the 100 kWh battery pack.

Missing the sound, Aviar will have an external sound system that simulates the exhaust note of the famed Shelby GT500.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The Drive Story

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

How bizzare: some studio photos, a drawing, a computer rendering and what appears to be a Hot Wheels car.
Maybe they're ALL computer renderings.
This vehicle will NEVER happen.

It will be interesting to see if this happens or not, Aviar is a new auto company. Be interesting to see how fast they blow through their startup cash.

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

It will be interesting to see if this happens or not, Aviar is a new auto company. Be interesting to see how fast they blow through their startup cash.

It is a Russian company, this car will NEVER happen.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Or counterfeit rubles.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, balthazar said:

How bizzare: some studio photos, a drawing, a computer rendering and what appears to be a Hot Wheels car.

There is a company out there building "new" old Mustangs. The body shells are available. The rest is just EV parts put in the shell.  Aside from company funding, I see no technical reason this car couldn't be built.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There is a company out there building "new" old Mustangs. The body shells are available. The rest is just EV parts put in the shell.  Aside from company funding, I see no technical reason this car couldn't be built.

Yes, there are shells available from Dynacorn.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

But if it did....it would be the counter point to your arguement in the other thread. This would be an Electric car for people who already own 4 cars, live i n Palm Beach or Palm Springs, and want an additional weekend car. THOSE people do not want to muck with maintenance.

The people who are younger and willing to wrench on cars are 90 percent wrenching on Euro or Asian cars as far as I can see. Not entirely...but that is the direction of the performance aftermarket with the younger crowd.

Unless you go to a rural area and everyone is wrenching on Jeeps and Diesel trucks.

49 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It would have a very ready market.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Unless Putin is wanting to wash some more money. ;) 

His current investments in America are not proving to be very sound...perhaps he should have invested in the rusting corpse of a 67 fastback sitting in that local salvage yard I posted the pics of several years ago.  Might have gone a bit better for him....and been money better spent.

That being said, Politicians can be bought more seemingly inexpensively than floor pans and quarters for a vintage 'stang.

49 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, there are shells available from Dynacorn.

We could have a vintage electric Camaro to match the modern electric Camaro.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

It is a Russian company, this car will NEVER happen.   

...or it will be like the Russian Concorde....discontinued after a metric s#$% ton of capital is spent and a few copies are built.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of the effort of some other fake company a few years ago, they had a car that looked like a modified Mustang but that one had a Chevy LS engine, IIRC.  Went nowhere..

The whole electronic sound track designed to sound like an ICE reminds me of the Woody Allen movie where he is projected into the future and people have sex with machines rather than other people. Some things are better left un-simulated.

58 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Or counterfeit rubles.

I will buy one with Bitcoin or whatever just to piss people off....would b e fun to pull up to a car show in this just to watch peoples head spin.

• Agree 1

The Dynacorn shell is over $16,000, and it's 10 pieces (body shell, 2 doors, trunklid, 6 hinges). Now they just have to add another 1500 parts/pieces, plus the re-engineering of the shell where needed to incorporate the EV bits. I'm going to peg a company-sustainable price at minimum of $140,000.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The Dynacorn shell is over $16,000, and it's 10 pieces (body shell, 2 doors, trunklid, 6 hinges). Now they just have to add another 1500 parts/pieces, plus the re-engineering of the shell where needed to incorporate the EV bits. I'm going to peg a company-sustainable price at minimum of $140,000.  

Yes, but labor cost in Siberian prison is free.  So fewer rubles.  Also, I doubt if they would be buying authentic Dyncorn shells, probably cheap knockoffs from Eastern Europe. 

Edited by Robert Hall

23 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Exactly why i said what I did about people in Pam Springs and Palm Beach.

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, but labor cost in Siberian prison is free.  So fewer rubles.

The first American Muscle car built outside of the US with 100 percent non domestic content.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, but labor cost in Siberian prison is free.  So fewer rubles.  Also, I doubt if they would be buying authentic Dyncorn shells, probably cheap knockoffs from Eastern Europe. 

Naw cheaper knock offs from Mongolia via China! :P 

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What "cheap body shell knock-offs"??? Where?
And good luck marketing such a product when it becomes known it was built with "free prison labor".

I was joking, but I really can't take seriously a 'Mustang' built in a corrupt toilet like Russia..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

RE: the Dynacorn shells - read this elsewhere & found it very much along the lines of what I posted above :

"
've had several vehicles with Dynacorn bodies (a '67 Mustang and a Bronco) and the quality was quite good. The guys who built them said that it was nice having all virgin sheetmetal to work with and that for the most part, the quality was good. Their biggest complaints were that sometimes OEM or repro parts from other manufacturers don't fit very well--it seems that Dynacorn uses Dynacorn parts for their tooling so your NOS fenders or hood might not fit without some tweaking on the reproduction body. The second thing--and they ALL griped about this--was that they had no idea how many little parts they would need to buy to make it complete. When you start with a complete car, you have all the little clips and fasteners and tacking strips and what-not that you will need to put it back together. When you start with a bare shell, you get none of that, so not only do you have to track all that down, you don't have a guide to even tell you what you need. An assembly manual can be invaluable in this regard, but they still said that they spent more time and money than expected tracking down all that little stuff that they needed and it added up to a substantial chunk of change that they didn't expect to spend. Even if you're not going 100% stock, you'll still need a lot of those little parts, which definitely add up. The guy who did the Bronco said he'd probably just use a factory truck in the future, no matter how rusty, just because he can fix the rust for less than it cost to buy all that stuff that he would have gotten with a complete vehicle."

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, balthazar said:

RE: the Dynacorn shells - read this elsewhere & found it very much along the lines of what I posted above :

"
've had several vehicles with Dynacorn bodies (a '67 Mustang and a Bronco) and the quality was quite good. The guys who built them said that it was nice having all virgin sheetmetal to work with and that for the most part, the quality was good. Their biggest complaints were that sometimes OEM or repro parts from other manufacturers don't fit very well--it seems that Dynacorn uses Dynacorn parts for their tooling so your NOS fenders or hood might not fit without some tweaking on the reproduction body. The second thing--and they ALL griped about this--was that they had no idea how many little parts they would need to buy to make it complete. When you start with a complete car, you have all the little clips and fasteners and tacking strips and what-not that you will need to put it back together. When you start with a bare shell, you get none of that, so not only do you have to track all that down, you don't have a guide to even tell you what you need. An assembly manual can be invaluable in this regard, but they still said that they spent more time and money than expected tracking down all that little stuff that they needed and it added up to a substantial chunk of change that they didn't expect to spend. Even if you're not going 100% stock, you'll still need a lot of those little parts, which definitely add up. The guy who did the Bronco said he'd probably just use a factory truck in the future, no matter how rusty, just because he can fix the rust for less than it cost to buy all that stuff that he would have gotten with a complete vehicle."

People wanting vintage vehicles are fewer in number all of the time as are the vehicles. I could see the Dynacorn body being an awesome option in 1993 when lots of Old Mustangs were around. Not so much now.

I don't think that's remotely the case. 1000s & 1000s of Mustangs have been restored/revived since 1993 (Ford built 500,000+ in 1966 alone) , and the Dynacorn body is fairly recent. Number of cars is probably fairly constant in current years - so until values start dropping, there's unlikely to be a corresponding drop in interest.

What's not an awesome option is the buy-in price.... but assuredly there was enough demand to validate the R&D to bring the Dynacorn to market in the first place.

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don't think that's remotely the case. 1000s & 1000s of Mustangs have been restored/revived since 1993 (Ford built 500,000+ in 1966 alone) , and the Dynacorn body is fairly recent. Number of cars is probably fairly constant in current years - so until values start dropping, there's unlikely to be a corresponding drop in interest.

What's not an awesome option is the buy-in price.... but assuredly there was enough demand to validate the R&D to bring the Dynacorn to market in the first place.

But my point was in 1993 lots of rebuildable cores existed. Not so much now. 

Also...if you were 30 in 1966 and bought a new Mustang...you would be 82 now. Not exactly prime age for rolling around on a garage floor underneath a rusty relic.

I love vintage Mustangs but around here all of the clubs and restoration shops dried up years ago. And it has been a long damn time since I have seen someone under 70 driving a vintage Mustang.

I mean...I would love to see the 65 to 73 stang make a comeback...but just like the Clinton and Bush families that day is way past.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Trading on nostalgia for a 50 y.o. fastback is NOT a sustainable business model.  I highly doubt they will succeed.

Short term they will succeed, but long term, I agree unless they morph into something else, this will be a dead end business in a decade.

Also...if you were 30 in 1966 and bought a new Mustang...you would be 82 now. Not exactly prime age for rolling around on a garage floor underneath a rusty relic.

I get you RE available cores- there are less builders out there vs. '93, but there are also MORE restored/hot rodded Mustangs to choose from. Aviar isn't marketing a roller project car, but one already done. That pool is exponentially larger.

Consider a vehicle like the Aviar as like an audi R8- extremely small sales. It (if it were actually brought to market) would be extremely limited production. Look how long the avanti continued after '64- decades. The tipping point will be what it always is- price.

This tho:
>>"if you were 30 in 1966 and bought a new Mustang...you would be 82 now<<
I believe is misguided. Vintage Mustangs aren't cool because the original buyers remember them, but because of their appeal as a sporty icon. All 3 of my vintage rides rolled off the assembly line before I did. My brother's 3 vintage cars are all also older than he is. My buddy has 2 '67s because he was born in '67, but all his other keepers are older than him. I believe / have observed that the 'original buyer/direct remembrance' hobbyist is a very small percentage of vintage car owners.

In other words; 82 yr old owners aren't pushing '66 Shelby Mustangs to $250,000 sale prices.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I get you RE available cores- there are less builders out there vs. '93, but there are also MORE restored/hot rodded Mustangs to choose from. Aviar isn't marketing a roller project car, but one already done. That pool is exponentially larger.

Consider a vehicle like the Aviar as like an audi R8- extremely small sales. It (if it were actually brought to market) would be extremely limited production. Look how long the avanti continued after '64- decades. The tipping point will be what it always is- price.

This tho:
>>"if you were 30 in 1966 and bought a new Mustang...you would be 82 now<<
I believe is misguided. Vintage Mustangs aren't cool because the original buyers remember them, but because of their appeal as a sporty icon. All 3 of my vintage rides rolled off the assembly line before I did. My brother's 3 vintage cars are all also older than he is. My buddy has 2 '67s because he was born in '67, but all his other keepers are older than him. I believe / have observed that the 'original buyer/direct remembrance' hobbyist is a very small percentage of vintage car owners.

In other words; 82 yr old owners aren't pushing '66 Shelby Mustangs to $250,000 sale prices.

I think we are on the same page...and yes...as an Audi R8 type of buyer...this is cool.

I just have remorse over the millions of Mustangs not saved. Lots of cores could have been reborn with Dynacorn metal.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I just have remorse over the millions of Mustangs not saved. Lots of cores could have been reborn with Dynacorn metal.

True, but seldom financially sensible. And there are 10s of thousands of '60s Mustangs out there; when I go to a general car show, I'm sick of Camaros & Mustangs.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

True, but seldom financially sensible. And there are 10s of thousands of '60s Mustangs out there; when I go to a general car show, I'm sick of Camaros & Mustangs.

Actually they have become rather uncommon around Columbus here. I have only seen a couple of each over the course of the last year in terms of the 65 to 73 era.

Mostly car shows around here have gone to late model imports and exotics.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Actually they have become rather uncommon around Columbus here. I have only seen a couple of each over the course of the last year in terms of the 65 to 73 era.

Mostly car shows around here have gone to late model imports and exotics.

Weird part here in Seattle is the white boys love the asian auto's and the asian boys love the american pony cars. Very weird to see this at the local car club shows.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Weird part here in Seattle is the white boys love the asian auto's and the asian boys love the american pony cars. Very weird to see this at the local car club shows.

Car scene around here has become mostly exotics and trucks it would seem. I have kind of lost contact with it as I have kind of lost interest with much of what is going on.