NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2019 Cadillac CT6 Review: The base turbo four-cylinder sedan won’t leave you in tears

The New 2.0T is down 35hp and 37 lb-ft from the 2018 2.0T engine. 0-60 acceleration is off by 1.1 seconds to a minivan like 7.5 secs. I don't know about you, but that leaves me in tears even if the new engine is 2 mpg better and a tad quieter.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

HATE the '19 grille.

It's OK... I hate the tail lights more. That horizontal skewing just adds clutter. Who the hell are they trying to copy here? Those losers over at Lincoln?

Love the entire look. It's money. If U don't like the looks get a 2018. The HP drop is done for obvious reasons. MPGs after the halt on the Hybrid. But who the hell cares? The LGW and Black Wing in two config really should be the only engines that matter to a buyer if this car. 

• Upvote 1

I think the grille looks fine, I like the overall shape of the car, I don't like the headlights or tail lights.

Turbo 4 in this car is a joke.  This is a big Cadillac, it should have more motor.  Really the powertrains here should be on par with an Escalade, if it is flagship sedan it should have everything your flagship SUV has.

• Like 1

'18 : The lower opening- full width- is more unique, and the horizontal elements within nicely echo the grille. Big plus- the extension of the lighting down into the lower intake is a very nice touch. Also like the 'fantail' vertical dividers below the grille AND how the hood character lines drop all the way to the notches in the bottom edge. Very cohesive.

'19 : Narrower headlights are about the only think I think looks fresher. The triangular black elements below are on everything now, the lower intake killed the flow on hood lines and is unimaginative, the horizontal elements inside are completely different than the main grillework, and the little lights at the bottom of the verticals are gone. But the biggest thing is the black mesh grillework- that looks cheap to me no matter what model/brand it's on. I'd give the '18 an 8/10 for the modern era, but the '19 a 4/10- they're that different for me.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 8.43.38 PM.png

Here's the big question tho... Is it an actual negative to have to 4cylinder available if there are other choices in terms of engines. Again.. there is only 3 versions I would see, and the top one would be my choice. I still remind many that the 2.0L is not really avail very often at dealerships... and my dealership never has them 

5 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Here's the big question tho... Is it an actual negative to have to 4cylinder available if there are other choices in terms of engines. Again.. there is only 3 versions I would see, and the top one would be my choice. I still remind many that the 2.0L is not really avail very often at dealerships... and my dealership never has them 

I don't think the option is a negative because modern engines and the lightweight of the vehicle(for its size) are impressive. It's the weaker engine that is off putting to me. 

But, like you said, I wouldn't be buying this car with the 2.0T even if it was the older, more powerful, 2.0T. It would be one of the V6's. But if I really had the coin it would be the new V8, obviously. 

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think the option is a negative because modern engines and the lightweight of the vehicle(for its size) are impressive. It's the weaker engine that is off putting to me. 

But, like you said, I wouldn't be buying this car with the 2.0T even if it was the older, more powerful, 2.0T. It would be one of the V6's. But if I really had the coin it would be the new V8, obviously. 

I think that while the new 2.0T is fine on a compact like the XT4 or the upcoming CT4 -- particularly as a "base" engine -- the CT6 and the XT5 deserves the 2.7T Inline-4 from the GMC Sierra / Chevy Silverado Pickup Truck. That engine makes 310 hp @ 5,600 rpm and 348 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm. It is a perfect fit for the CT6. It'll also make a great "base" engine for the XT5/XT6, replacing the 3.6 (LGX) NA motor, and serve as the "upgrade" engine on the XT4 very well. The LGW 3.0TT with 404 hp will still be substantially differentiated as the premium motor for the larger vehicles.

It is a taller engine (by about 15mm) but that is nothing which cannot be accommodated with the appropriate changes to the oil filer neck, dress cover and a new oil pan (if necessary to clear the front sub-frames of the uni-body cars).

As far as the CT6 goes, GM's poor decisions are largely irrelevant. The face lifted 2019 will only see production through April this year as the CT6 is being cancelled and its factory shuttered.

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yes because this car doesn’t have a ton of volume and if they are going to have 3 engine choices I could maybe see a 300 hp turbo 4 as a base, but people buying this car probably want a Turbo V6 or V8 or at least that is what Cadillac should be going for.  

But like Dwight said it doesn’t really matter if they are killing the car.

Edited by smk4565

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook