Sign in to follow this  
corvette_dude729

Help

11 posts in this topic

Something is not quite right with the front end of my cobalt and the overall proportions. Ok, It sucks, it really sucks. I've tried numerous times to fix it, but I don't know what to do. I don't really know the first thing about good sketching, I'm just an amateaur. Maybe some of you guys with more skill than me can help me out and give some suggestions. Thanks.

MySketch:

Posted Image

Actual Photo:

Posted Image

you need to make the front end wider... it looks like yur trying too hard to fit everything in... like yur rushing to get to the end of the front... just have patience... especially if yur using another picture for reference... (its okay to do that... i often use other pictures to help me with perspective issues in my drawings) just take your time... relax... allow the shape of the car to go where it wants... dont try to squeeze it into the are where you want it to be... because then it will look squished... which it does... the front end looks very squished here... but its okay... youve got potential... you just need some more practice thats all... good job so far... and good luck with any further sketches you do

NOS2006    11

Look at the size of the rear wheel well on yours compared to the front.. then compare the sizes to that of the original.

Also, yours has more room between the doorline and the rear wheel well; maybe that would be fixed by shortening that portion just a little and making the wheel arch bigger (along with the wheel and wheel well). And by shortening the greenhouse (take a closer look at the trunk/C-pillar on the original).

Nice job though.

Thanks guys, I know about the rear wheel, I just don't really know how to fix it and make it look right from that angle. Also, starting it is always a challange. I never know where to start from, and what part to draw first.

Edited by corvette_dude729

NOS2006    11

Just make it taller, but no wider. Rear wheels always look strange in this view of pictures.. always really tall but not wide at all. Copy the original..

if yur havin problems with where to start... try the center of the front... i usually start there and build everything around that... like for this one i woul raw the bowtie... and go from there... but thats just me... try starting with a bunch of different spots and see what yur most comfortable with

NOS2006    11

^^Yeah, I'm with him. I tried starting in the rear, front, greenhouse, etc.

My best spot to start from is the greenhouse.. it's where all the perspective and bodylines start IMO. From there, stretch fender and body lines out and it usually goes pretty well..

ocnblu    733
I would say overlay the original photo with tracing paper, trace it out, then study it for future sketches. It could help with perspective and proportion.

I would say overlay the original photo with tracing paper, trace it out, then study it for future sketches.  It could help with perspective and proportion.

OB is right ...trace it, that is the first thing you should do, trace it 50 times and throw them ALL away. You can progress from the tracing to using vanishing points starting with # 25, cuz you will not need the photo by then, but keep doing them until 50...you will understand how to do it.

THEN, draw it on a fresh sheet of solid paper, wanna bet you get it right first time?

No matter how long or how well you draw, perspective is always a bitch. LOL.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this